HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Strange Situations

Old
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Strange Situations

Here's a thread for strange situations you may encounter while playing hockey. I'll start:

A strange turn of events in my Batavia roller hockey semifinal game today.

The team we played was missing 75% of its regular players. They had six players (1 G, 4 skaters & 1 sub) at the start of our game. We were up 3-0 after 10 minutes. Then a couple of "subs" show up, and the subs account for six goals against us. We end up losing, 6-4.

. . . . . . or do we?

League rules state that any player playing in a playoff game must have played at least 4 games with that team during the regular season. Two or more players on the opposing side were found to be in violation of that rule.

So, what was a season-ending 6-4 loss turned into a 1-0 victory & advancement to the championship game tomorrow!

Now, I pull into my driveway about an hour later, and I find this message from the other team's captain (on vacation):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Wow . . . ****in pu*** ******* move . . . We didn't have ringers and you ****s refused to play us any time during the week. Total ****in pu***.
I didn't reply back - not worth mine or my team's time.

I get another message just before 9 PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Really? Ya got nothing to say? I guess I wouldn't if I were you . . . You're ****in pathetic. Enjoy your free ride to the championship that you didn't earn.
Wow. This guy's really pissed off. Well, maybe you guys should have played by the rules. It's no one's fault but your own.

Championship game tomorrow . . . 12 noon. I've never been this far before . . . . this is where legends are forged.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

One time I reffed a game and one team only had 4 skaters. So I got my gear and played in the game I was supposed to ref.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

LOL hes a retard cocky jerk

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

JAx-what do you ref?

Once a team scored a wraparound when the net was way off the moorings and they called it a goal(Valencia refs are biased)....then they gave our best player a tripping penalty when he checked someone...they scored by slashing me. We missed playoffs

And when that year we played San Diego I caught the puck on a dump...they called it a goal when I was way out of the net. We tied 2-2

If the refs had a clue we woulda made playoffs. But it was strange

Old
08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Ozz

Hey, rules are rules. What matters is what's in the books, now hopefully you can win the championship so you can throw that in his face as well.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Hades

It'd be hilarious if you just replied "youuuuuuuuu madddddd"

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:12 PM
IniNew

I'm mad that I thought this was going to be an informative post on something related to an actual hockey situation. Boy was I surprised when it was just a large post of whine.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Master_Of_Districts

I have a similar story from 2008.

Our team entered the second division (the worse of the two divisions) in the annual provincial tournament.

We ended up qualifying for the finals and were slated to play against a team from our local league that we had dominated all season - all of our victories had been by a blowout.

Because the tournament had an entry fee, the winner of the game would receive $1000.

Perhaps realizing that they had very little chance of winning the money if they played with their official roster, the opposition benched two of its regulars and substituted two ringers in their place, one of whom played in the NCAA at the time, with the other playing in the WHL.

After the other team quickly established a 3-1 lead, we realized what had transpired, at which point we informed the referee that two of their players were not on the official roster. The referee forced both of them to produce photo identification and, after realizing that the name on each player's ID failed to correspond with the name on the roster, ejected both players from the game.

Additionally, as two of their three goals had been scored by one of the ejected players, two of their goals were removed. We ended up winning the game 7-2.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
One time I reffed a game and one team only had 4 skaters. So I got my gear and played in the game I was supposed to ref.
One time I reffed a game I was supposed to play.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
One time our rollerhockey team (2nd in a 4-team league) was winning a game 10-4 against the 1st place team (their team had a skater in net) and the guy was beaking me all game and with 5 seconds left, I dumped the puck in for the win.

The puck almost hits my bench, hits a scansion on the glass perfectly and the goalie went out to play the puck and tries to meet halfway but the puck hit the scansion and slid into the net. We won 11-4. We won the gold medal game against the same team 6-4. I scored in that game, too.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

My team was on the PP and there was a delayed call against the other team. We wanted to get the 5-on-3, so our dman took a slap shot from the point that deflected off their player and in.

It was called back because the ref, who was reffing his first game, thought that the puck deflecting off their dman's shin and into the net counted as puck possession for their team, thus blowing the play dead.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
It was called back because the ref, who was reffing his first game, thought that the puck deflecting off their dman's shin and into the net counted as puck possession for their team, thus blowing the play dead.
lol, that's ****ing terrible

Probably the weirdest thing that happened to me was at the end of a game that we lost. The team I was playing on had 3 or 4 skaters that were real SOBs and would chirp at everyone, and do dirty little things on the ice. I've never been interested in that stuff so I would just ignore it and play my game.

So anyway, this particular game was out of reach, in the last minute or so, and I had the puck along the boards in my own end. Their forward decided to take some revenge, so he checked me into the boards (non checking league). It wasn't too hard, if fact, I didn't even realize he had done it on purpose, but then he started swinging at me. I realized what was going on and started cracking up. He was punching me in the helmet and cage with his gloved hand, so it was kind of like being in a pillow fight. I didn't punch back or even try to defend myself because I was laughing too hard.

Back in the locker room my teammates were ripping on me whole time we changed, calling me a pacifist, French, all that stuff

Edit - One more I just thought of from when I was playing a game in a Hockey North America league:

I had just recovered the puck in the defensive zone and since I have a hard time getting my head up while carrying the puck, I took it behind our net so I could survey the ice. Well, I get back there, stop, and look up, and there are three forecheckers coming at me! The best part is that when they were about 30-40 feet away, they were all looking at each other like 'uhh, isn't this too many guys on the forecheck?' so I just lobbed the puck up to the red line and we ended up on a two-on-none and scored the winning goal.

Last edited by Blackjack: 08-08-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Actually heres a weird one....

In a game a few years ago the play was blown dead since two pucks were on the ice....one had fallen out of my pad where I never noticed it. The other team was just confused

Old
08-08-2010, 02:52 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Other team had the puck in their zone and a big guy was carrying the puck up along the boards. Our (much smaller) player was skating in to play the puck and ended up catching an incidental elbow to the head which dropped him unconscious to the ice for 20 seconds. The other guy wasn't even phased and just kept skating with the puck.

The ref closest just stood there watching for a good 5-10 seconds while we were yelling from the bench to blow the whistle. Eventually the other ref blew the whistle.

Finally, the guy comes to and is standing up. Then the idle ref skates over to him and then proceeds to assess the guy who got KOed an interference penalty. Didn't even check to see if he was okay.

Dude catches an elbow in the mush, sent to dream land, and is sent to the sin bin for his troubles.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Other team had the puck in their zone and a big guy was carrying the puck up along the boards. Our (much smaller) player was skating in to play the puck and ended up catching an incidental elbow to the head which dropped him unconscious to the ice for 20 seconds. The other guy wasn't even phased and just kept skating with the puck.

The ref closest just stood there watching for a good 5-10 seconds while we were yelling from the bench to blow the whistle. Eventually the other ref blew the whistle.

Finally, the guy comes to and is standing up. Then the idle ref skates over to him and then proceeds to assess the guy who got KOed an interference penalty. Didn't even check to see if he was okay.

Dude catches an elbow in the mush, sent to dream land, and is sent to the sin bin for his troubles.
Wow, that is pretty weird. As an aside, is there any more of a **** sandwich play than getting fouled and then being called for a penalty? Happened to me once in a championship game. I went into a corner hard with a defenseman and the puck popped out. During the fight for the puck he had grabbed my stick. No big deal, technically it's illegal but it happens all the time in that kind of situation (I do it sometimes too)...

...but he wouldn't let go of it!

So I end up in a tug of war for my own freaking stick, and sure enough "TWEEET!" Two minutes for God-knows-what.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:11 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

strange cause we got *********
It was the final game for city championships for midget
we were down 4-3 with about 8 minutes left
cause the stupid ref showed up late they cut it down to 2 mins cause our ice time was running out! IT WAS A FINALS GAME!!!

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
AvDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So anyway, this particular game was out of reach, in the last minute or so, and I had the puck along the boards in my own end. Their forward decided to take some revenge, so he checked me into the boards (non checking league). It wasn't too hard, if fact, I didn't even realize he had done it on purpose, but then he started swinging at me. I realized what was going on and started cracking up. He was punching me in the helmet and cage with his gloved hand, so it was kind of like being in a pillow fight. I didn't punch back or even try to defend myself because I was laughing too hard.

Back in the locker room my teammates were ripping on me whole time we changed, calling me a pacifist, French, all that stuff
lol I'm completely with you on this one. It's like watching NFL football players throw punches at each other. Why would you think throwing a punch at someone wearing a facemask would do anything?! lol

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
lol, that's ****ing terrible

Probably the weirdest thing that happened to me was at the end of a game that we lost. The team I was playing on had 3 or 4 skaters that were real SOBs and would chirp at everyone, and do dirty little things on the ice. I've never been interested in that stuff so I would just ignore it and play my game.

Edit - One more I just thought of from when I was playing a game in a Hockey North America league:

I had just recovered the puck in the defensive zone and since I have a hard time getting my head up while carrying the puck, I took it behind our net so I could survey the ice. Well, I get back there, stop, and look up, and there are three forecheckers coming at me! The best part is that when they were about 30-40 feet away, they were all looking at each other like 'uhh, isn't this too many guys on the forecheck?' so I just lobbed the puck up to the red line and we ended up on a two-on-none and scored the winning goal.
Those are both funny. You still play HNA?

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Frankie Spankie

Like 3 weeks ago I was getting ready for a game of mine. It's a 4 team league and we play back to back hours (2 teams at 9PM, the other 2 teams at 10PM). I usually get half dressed (everything from the waist down) and just wear a shirt and watch the rest of the game if I get there early. I was right along the boards, about 10 feet in from the blue line, when one player came flying in near me and rips a slapshot. The puck was directly in between me and the net so I had the perfect angle. It went in top corner and through the netting. Everybody around me was yelling to the refs that that went in. The guy who shot, the goalie, and the ref were all looking at the net when the play went down to the other end of the ice and nobody could find anything. It was pretty weird. I even took a look at the net when the zamboni was going around and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Was like the twilight zone where all of us saw it happen but there was no proof of it happening.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Hey, rules are rules. What matters is what's in the books, now hopefully you can win the championship so you can throw that in his face as well.
We did.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Ozz

Congrats! Be sure to laugh at the other guy if he decides to give you **** about it.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Congrats...and maybe say 'O YOU MAD' lol

Old
08-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Sorry, this is off topic, but Jin Jar, I was wondering how the Batavia league is? My buddies and I were going to play there this summer but couldn't get a team together in time. Just wondering for next summer.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
This one time in 3 on 3 summer hockey we only had two skaters and a goalie (from a roster of eight skaters), so we forefitted the game, borrowed a skater from the other team (which had five) and had the ref join us for some pickup.

In that same summer league there was a problem with the roofing, and it caused water to drip down on one of the ice surfaces. Since all the other pads were full and nobody wanted to cancel the game, we ended up putting a trash can where the leak would be (about a half-foot above the faceoff circle in one of the zones) and played with that. It was 3 on 3 so it wasn't so bad, but I'm convinced that in 5 on 5 someone would have nailed it. I got a penalty for trying to bodycheck someone into it. Good times in that league.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:44 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Sportchek is having a pre-season sale and I went to check out a pair of $400 skates that are on sale for only $200. They didn't have my size though.

Next day I'm going to play and nearly roll my left ankle carrying my gear. Then while playing my right ankle takes a slapshot and now I'm limping for the next few days.

My old, jilted skates taking their revenge?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote