HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2010, 11:21 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

vCash: 500
The Next Patrik Stefan

Just Kidding, But I want to see him play, I think he'll be like 7'1, his dad, which is Popeye Jones is like 6'8. If he was comparable to Lidstrom with that frame, that'd be super sick. Plus I also think Texas is a Defenceman Factory with Myers and Leetch coming from there and now Jones.

Old
07-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Colin Black
Cut back, Smokey!

Everett season ticket holder here. He's with the development team next year, but Doug Soetaert and Craig Hartsburg are both pretty confident he'll come over to Everett for 2011-2012. With him and Ryan Murray on the team the Silvertips should be fantastic.

Old
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
DUHockeyRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Black View Post
Everett season ticket holder here. He's with the development team next year, but Doug Soetaert and Craig Hartsburg are both pretty confident he'll come over to Everett for 2011-2012. With him and Ryan Murray on the team the Silvertips should be fantastic.
Not so fast my friend.

Seth's older brother Justin just committed to the University of Denver last week. This is usually a pretty good indicator that the younger brother will attend the same school (Jarrod & Dakota Mermis are the most recent example).

Easier for the parents to travel to see both brothers play at the same time. Denver is far closer to the family home in Dallas than Everett. Plus 60% of DU's games are on national TV.

Finally DU is less than 7 miles from the Pepsi Center so scouts & GMs can easily catch an Avs game and DU game on the same trip. 22 GM's saw Tyler Bozak play when he was a free agent.

I think you'll see Seth in Denver in 2012.

DU's 2010 Recruiting Class
F Jason Zucker (U.S. Under-18) -2nd Round (Wild)
D David Makowski (Green Bay, USHL)
F Nick Shore (U.S. Under-18) - Potential 1st or 2nd round 2011
F Beau Bennett (Penticton, BCHL) - 1st Round (Penguins)
F Dan Olszewski (St. Louis, NAHL)
F Jarrod Mermis (Lincoln, USHL)
G Sam Brittain (Canmore, AJHL) - 4th Round (Panthers)
F Justin Jones (Texas, NAHL)

2011 Recruiting Class
D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL) - Potential 1st Round 2011
F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-17)
F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL)
D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-17)
D Daniel Doremus (Colorado Thunderbirds, AAA)

2012 Recruiting Class
F Tyler Pham (Team Illinios)
D Dakota Mermis (St. Louis Jr. Blues, AAA) - Potential 1st Round 2012
D Josiah Didier (Cedar Rapids, USHL)

Last edited by DUHockeyRulz: 08-07-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
orangeandblack

I dont think that puts it in stone. The Morins and Bogosians are a recent examples, and the Lanes (one in Brampton, one at NTDP) are another. It helps, but I dont think its a lock.

The kid has a ton of work to do. If all goes well, he could be a Tyler Myers, or if not, a Devereaux Heshmatpour. Hes a late birth month. He may honor his 2 years at the NTDP, and see how he progresses. If it looks like he wont be a high end draft pick, I think the chances he goes to college are better. You have to think if a WHL team used a first on him, they must have gotten the feel there was at least some interest.

Old
08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
I dont think that puts it in stone. The Morins and Bogosians are a recent examples, and the Lanes (one in Brampton, one at NTDP) are another. It helps, but I dont think its a lock.

The kid has a ton of work to do. If all goes well, he could be a Tyler Myers, or if not, a Devereaux Heshmatpour. Hes a late birth month. He may honor his 2 years at the NTDP, and see how he progresses. If it looks like he wont be a high end draft pick, I think the chances he goes to college are better. You have to think if a WHL team used a first on him, they must have gotten the feel there was at least some interest.
Is Matt Lane still going to the NTDP? He's no longer listed under Heisenberg's site (and neither is Silk for obvious reasons). I'd guess he'd Brampton got him to commit to playing with them this year.

I think your point on Jones is spot on. He's living off of a lot of hype from a lot of people that probably haven't seen him play. Pretty much everything I've read seems to be unanimous in praise for his raw abilities but we'll see how he does with the NTDP in his first year. He's in an NTDP class with a few other highly touted d-men though so we'll see where he's at pretty quickly.

08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockeyRulz View Post
Not so fast my friend.

Seth's older brother Justin just committed to the University of Denver last week. This is usually a pretty good indicator that the younger brother will attend the same school (Jarrod & Dakota Mermis are the most recent example).

Easier for the parents to travel to see both brothers play at the same time. Denver is far closer to the family home in Dallas than Everett. Plus 60% of DU's games are on national TV.

Finally DU is less than 7 miles from the Pepsi Center so scouts & GMs can easily catch an Avs game and DU game on the same trip. 22 GM's saw Tyler Bozak play when he was a free agent.

I think you'll see Seth in Denver in 2012.

DU's 2010 Recruiting Class
F Jason Zucker (U.S. Under-18) -2 Round (Wild)
D David Makowski (Green Bay, USHL)
F Nick Shore (U.S. Under-18) - Potential 1st or 2nd round 2011
F Beau Bennett (Penticton, BCHL) - 1st Round (Penguins)
F Dan Olszewski (St. Louis, NAHL)
F Jarrod Mermis (Lincoln, USHL)
G Sam Brittain (Canmore, AJHL) - 3rd Round (Panthers)
F Justin Jones (Texas, NAHL)

2011 Recruiting Class
D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL) - Potential 1st Round 2011
F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-17)
F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL)
D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-17)
D Daniel Doremus (Colorado Thunderbirds, AAA)

2012 Recruiting Class
F Tyler Pham (Team Illinios)
D Dakota Mermis (St. Louis Jr. Blues, AAA) - Potential 1st Round 2012
D Josiah Didier (Cedar Rapids, USHL)
pretty darn solid recruiting class for Denver I must say....they are starting to put together some nice prospects....

not sure if Mayfield goes to DU....OHL might pry him away....that could be a big loss if he jumps.

Old
08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
DUHockeyRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
pretty darn solid recruiting class for Denver I must say....they are starting to put together some nice prospects....

not sure if Mayfield goes to DU....OHL might pry him away....that could be a big loss if he jumps.
Mayfield's father graduated from University of Denver Law School. I think its safe to say he'll be in Denver in 2011.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/02...-play-for.html

Old
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockeyRulz View Post
Mayfield's father graduated from University of Denver Law School. I think its safe to say he'll be in Denver in 2011.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/02...-play-for.html
Well, who can argue with an unbiased source like DUHockeyRulz?

Old
01-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Bank Shot

Has anyone seen Jones play this year?

I was just looking at his stats and he is first in scoring amongst defencemen in the US development program.

Is he living up to the billing of being a top prospect for 2013?

Old
01-10-2011, 02:48 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

saw him play at the u-17 final last week againts team ontario and he was rock solid. he's big, move well and his only 2013 eligible

him and Jacob Trouba were really good on the usa backend

Old
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Garyboy

Was good at Ontario but got burned on Ontario's second or third goal. His positional play in his own end could use work, but he's got great upside and really has a knack for carrying the puck out of his own zone.

Old
01-11-2011, 05:50 AM
puckfan13

So can I do the stereotypical HF thing and ask if he's comparable to another black guy who plays the same position (Byfuglien)?

Old
01-11-2011, 07:55 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
So can I do the stereotypical HF thing and ask if he's comparable to another black guy who plays the same position (Byfuglien)?
Nah, he is tall and plays defense....he is the next Pronger though he has to develop that mean streak

Old
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
DuklaNation

I have never seen a young d-man that reminded me of Lidstrom since he entered the NHL. Do these people ever watch Lidstrom play? All these comparisons to him diminish his incredible talent.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
sb24

My guess is he will go to Denver as that is where he started playing hockey. Not Toronto Like some poster said. Damn Canadians always trying to get a toe on our players.Also if thats where his brother is I am guessing the family must like it there.

Old
01-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Torts

i was really impressed with what i saw at the U17

if i were him id go to Everett

CHL > NCAA haha

Old
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Yeah, from what I saw of his game I think he should play major junior. I don't like the "potentially slower route" for him.

Old
01-12-2011, 12:58 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yeah, from what I saw of his game I think he should play major junior. I don't like the "potentially slower route" for him.
What do you mean by that?

Old
01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
What do you mean by that?
I think his game is better suited for the WHL.

He's a big kid who needs to get bigger and stronger. Playing more games in a physical league would benefit his growth as a player.

That's what I mean.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:06 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I think his game is better suited for the WHL.

He's a big kid who needs to get bigger and stronger. Playing more games in a physical league would benefit his growth as a player.

That's what I mean.
Oh, OK, thanks. I was just a little unclear what you meant by that. Sometimes like with Kyle Turris or other skinny kids, people say they are better served in college because they get to work out more, bulk up, etc. Haha, it can be confusing.

Old
01-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Is Matt Lane still going to the NTDP? He's no longer listed under Heisenberg's site (and neither is Silk for obvious reasons). I'd guess he'd Brampton got him to commit to playing with them this year.

I think your point on Jones is spot on. He's living off of a lot of hype from a lot of people that probably haven't seen him play. Pretty much everything I've read seems to be unanimous in praise for his raw abilities but we'll see how he does with the NTDP in his first year. He's in an NTDP class with a few other highly touted d-men though so we'll see where he's at pretty quickly.
I agree that hype at his age is often overblown, but I gotta tell you this kid is a solid athlete on work effort alone. Too many people assume that the prodigy of pros will achieve more than than their famous parents. When those predictions do come true, 10 times out of 10 it's because of hard work. I think this kid is one that will advance because of that. I am really looking forward to watching the DU team for the next 2-4 years even though I've got a soft spot for Colorado College. I think DU is getting some high end prospects, but will coaching and other circumstances conspire for or against them?

Old
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I'm a huge WCHA fan as well as WHL, but Jones is much better suited for the WHL. Considering it's the best defensive league at the junior level.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Anyone have an update on this guy? Did he get any taller?

Old
05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose50 View Post
Anyone have an update on this guy? Did he get any taller?
US NTDP only has him at 6'3 IIRC but he looked a lot taller then that when I last saw him.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:09 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Jones is going to be the best dman for 2013 NHL draft, this guy I have seen play and he skates well, makes excellent decisions with the puck, great outlet passing, can bring the puck out himself, good shooting from the point and has a good one timer, he has good passing in the offensive zone, he is good in his own zone and improving more and more, he is getting stronger too this guy is going to be a beast on the back end.

He looks about 6'5 on the ice rather than his 6'3 ranking.

Closed Thread