HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose-Vancouver (Couture/Edler)

Old
08-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
I don't see why Vancouver does this, they have their center position shored up for the foreseeable future and Edler is an affordable piece on their D. Vancouver will probably trade Bieksa and it won't be hard to find a taker for him.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
I didn't think the value was too off but whatever if y'all don't like it, that's cool.
Edler is our #1 dman. He does everything well. If you think teams move their #1 young talent for cap space and bottom 6 help, you're sorely mistaken

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKush View Post
No, I don't think San Jose has anything they would be willing to give up that Gillis would trade for Edler. Nothing at all.
Quote:
Thornton+1st+2nd+Couture+Setoguchi+Vlasic+Pavelski +Boyle wouldn't do the trick?
Sarcasm aside, he said willing to give up. If SJ is willing, we'll work the cap somehow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
Would you Vancouver fans do this

Vancouver
Clowe
1st round pick
Joslin
Petrecki
Mitchell

San Jose
Edler
Raymond
Bieksa/O'Brien

You owe us future considerations from the Ehrhoff trade so O'Brien or Bieksa could be those future considerations

No way. If we missed the playoffs, both Sedins, Kesler, Lu and our other impact players all retired, were badly injured for the rest of their careers or demanded trades, then sure. But that's a package to offer a team like Edmonton. We have little need for any of those players coming back at the moment, Clowe replaces Raymonds roster spot, and we then have Edler and Bieksa needing to be replaced. Bieksa is only being offered because of Raymonds raise, so him, Bieksa and arguably our best defenseman for Clowe and prospects is as bad as the OPs proposal, futured considerations or not.

I'm fine with the value though.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
LOL, TF97, try to keep the stuff realistic.

As for the OP, I thought it would be a good proposal considering that the Sharks definitely need a two-way defenseman, and the Nucks could use a little cap space, and Couture would help out their bottom 6.
Our needs weren't even considered in this proposal. Our defense is set.. We're going to likely trade Bieksa at some point but that's the only guy on the way out; we'll trade him before the season starts IF we sign Mitchell. Edler is, in the eyes of Canucks fans, our future franchise defenseman. Why would we trade him for a piece we don't even need? Our roster is basically set, all we need is maybe a 4th line center who can PK, or a cheap 3rd line winger that plays physical and can PK. And, we won't give up a significant piece of our future to obtain that.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:

D Alexander Edler

C Logan Couture
1st Round Pick

Thoughts?
ummm

hell no from sj

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

JPavs8Cluthcy needs to stop making all these ridiculous trade proposals...

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:33 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Why on earth would Vancouver do this? Their top D-Man for a late first and 2nd/3rd line centre they don't need?

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
ProstheticConscience
XTORT

Edler's not going anywhere, certainly not for yet another center.

We do have this guy Bieksa chewing up our cap space, though.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:57 PM
GCM
Stork

This doesn't fill a need for Vancouver.

On top of that, Edler is one of the few untouchables Vancouver has. They're not going to move him, the defense is almost being built around the guy.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
DingoAteMyBaby

I think out of the Canucks. Edler is definitely one of the untouchables.

So I say no... I don't want to overate him but you're probably going to offer a bit more knowing that 1st round is probably going to be in the late 25-30th round.

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:30 PM
arsmaster

Even Mike Gillis has come out and said he thinks Edler is a potential #1 defensman, I dont have the video but I can remember him saying that once Edler realizes he doesnt need to take so many hits he will probably develop into a #1....I dont see it yet, but at least he is insulated with depth now.

This proposal is atrocious.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
ummm

hell no from sj
Logan Couture ( 1st Round 9th Overall) + 1st Round Pick >>>> Some guy picked in the 3rd round

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
ManoWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Is the value off on Hodgson+Ballard+1st for Thornton? No, but that doesn't mean we would do it (Nor would Vancouver). You need to take team needs into consideration. Vancouver has Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra-Hodgson down the middle, they don't need Couture. They just moved their 1st+Grabner for a d-man who is about as good as, and older than Edler, in Ballard. this puts them in pretty much the same spot as they were before that trade. Why do it? As a side note, everyone here can look at Boyle-Vlasic-Murray-Huskins-Wallin-Demers and see a gaping hole, why would the Nucks- who have an elite d-squad, equivalent forward core, and excellent goalie- trade the key missing piece to their #1 or #2 contender for the western conference title, and trip to stanley cup? They wouldn't. If I were them, I wouldn't trade Bieksa to us either, just because while inconsistent, and not at the level of Ehrhoff, Ballard, Edler or Hambius, they know he has the potential to outplay them in a playoff series.

Stop daydreaming about players like Enstrom, Edler, and Suter, and try to think of realistic options like Oduya, Beauchmein, or Bieska. It is fun to dream, but keep em in your head not on the trade board where you will be subjected to humiliation.
Props. Very good post, covers basically everything.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyze View Post
Logan Couture ( 1st Round 9th Overall) + 1st Round Pick >>>> Some guy picked in the 3rd round
I hope that is sarcasm.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
eklunds source

I love when you see a trade proposal for what is probably very fair value, but fails because it doesn't take into account a teams' needs (as this one does), provokes multiple pages of (some) thoughtful discussion from both sides, generally reaches an agreement that the teams are not good trading partners, then someone comes in with a...
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
ummm

hell no from sj

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Saw the proposal and knew it was a Sharks fan proposing it. That tells me the value isn't fair.

Just can't see Vancouver having any interest in moving Edler.
Don't generalize. Most sharks fans dont even post in deals in here. The ones that do are either 'new' (Jpavs) or uhm, over enthusiastic.

Jpavs deal does not take into account Vancouvers needs, or lack there of to move Edler.

The other deal is just silly, and as usual, involves way too many players.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:13 PM
JerkChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyze View Post
So...by that logic, Patrick Stefan (1st overall pick) >>>> Henrik Zetterberg (210th overall pick).

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Moore Money

Why would a contending team trade a top pairing Dman unless it was an upgrade? I like Couture a lot though. Value isn't far off.

I'm sure you could get Kaberle with that package

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Wildcarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Is the value off on Hodgson+Ballard+1st for Thornton? No, but that doesn't mean we would do it (Nor would Vancouver). You need to take team needs into consideration. Vancouver has Sedin-Kesler-Malhotra-Hodgson down the middle, they don't need Couture. They just moved their 1st+Grabner for a d-man who is about as good as, and older than Edler, in Ballard. this puts them in pretty much the same spot as they were before that trade. Why do it? As a side note, everyone here can look at Boyle-Vlasic-Murray-Huskins-Wallin-Demers and see a gaping hole, why would the Nucks- who have an elite d-squad, equivalent forward core, and excellent goalie- trade the key missing piece to their #1 or #2 contender for the western conference title, and trip to stanley cup? They wouldn't. If I were them, I wouldn't trade Bieksa to us either, just because while inconsistent, and not at the level of Ehrhoff, Ballard, Edler or Hambius, they know he has the potential to outplay them in a playoff series.

Stop daydreaming about players like Enstrom, Edler, and Suter, and try to think of realistic options like Oduya, Beauchmein, or Bieska. It is fun to dream, but keep em in your head not on the trade board where you will be subjected to humiliation.
Yay! Intelligent poster!

Wildcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Don't generalize. Most sharks fans dont even post in deals in here. The ones that do are either 'new' (Jpavs) or uhm, over enthusiastic.

Jpavs deal does not take into account Vancouvers needs, or lack there of to move Edler.

The other deal is just silly, and as usual, involves way too many players.
I don't think he was generalizing. I think the point was that there's no way a Canucks fan would propose such a deal, therefore it must have been a Sharks fan.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:18 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Edler wouldn't be traded for anything short of a gross overpayment. He certainly wouldn't be traded for prospects or picks. The Canucks are in win now mode and Edler is a probably going to be the number #1-2 guy for those years.

I guess some people don't know how good this kid has become and how he's steadily improved every season. I'm expecting a big season from him this upcoming year.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Cogburn

Truth be told, I don't see a lot of options for what we would trade for Edler, San Jose aside. We would need a replacement for his pencilled in position, and no one on SJ matches that. Boyle or Vlasic would be interesting (one being a number one Dman and the other being similar in terms of value), but neither would be enough to attract attention from the Canucks alone, value to San Jose or via trade or not. I mean something like Bieksa+Edler for Seto or Clowe and one of the Dmen mentioned would hold my attention, as we have no reason to trade Edler, but is just stupid from San Jose's perspective.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:26 AM
biturbo19

Makes absolutely zero sense for Vancouver.

Edler is probably already one of our top guys on the blueline, if not our top d-men, and he's still got potential to burn. Plus, he's on a ridiculous good $$$ value deal for the next couple years.

We don't have any need for more forward prospects, as we already have a very solid top-6, with young guys like Hodgson/Schroeder/Shirokov fighting for basically a single roster spot, and Rodin coming along as well eventually. We're pretty set up front for years to come, no need to mortgage the present and future on defence for a guy we don't really need and a late first round pick.

Especially if it means doing a conference rival a big favour, helping them out of their major defensive predicament.

I wouldn't say Edler is 100% unmoveable, but he's about as close as you can get.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Bourdon

You guys remember the thread from the other day about Enstrom and the Sharks? Basically the same value if not more. Edler produced 42pts on the 2nd PP unit, is 5" taller, and 40 pounds heavier than Enstrom. He's also younger than Enstrom, and is only now developing a mean streak.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Blane Youngblood

So how about Bieksa for Couture + a conditional 2nd (conditional on Bieksa re-signing)?

Deffinitly improves SJ and Vancouver for the upcoming season.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote