HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brooks "Sean Avery out of the picture?", "What if Wade Redden"...

Old
08-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Brooks "Sean Avery out of the picture?", "What if Wade Redden"...

"Opening with a ques tion to which I am certain the Rangers have no answer: What if Wade Redden is one of the team's two or three best defensemen in training camp? "

"The trickle-down effect of both the Frolov signing and White acquisition is this: if Tortorella doesn't have Vinny Prospal in the middle, if Tortorella has Prospal on left wing, then the coach is going into camp consciously cutting Sean Avery out of the picture."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...LjxTqn3HC5YOEK

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:44 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Just read that, too. It's going to be interesting, to say the least, to see how all of this shakes out.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I just don't think the rangers will cut Avery. He's too much of a unique player, how he get players off their games when he is on his game and has a pretty good shot. He is one of those players that torts talks about adding character in the locker room and to the team. He seemed tame most of the season, but he got his edge back until he was injured. I just don't see the rangers cutting Avery.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:53 AM
SML

There are few examples in sports that bring the "he brings more than you see on the scoresheet" cliche to mind than Avery. You look at the roster and pencil everyone in where they should belong and it looks, on paper, like Sean gets caught without a chair when the music stops. Except this is hockey, not musical chairs. Avery will be on this team. Everyone talks here about how he sucks until the puck drops. Honestly, good serious competetive depth might be just what this team needs. It will keep everyone honest and playing hard to keep their roster spots.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:08 AM
azrok22

Before people rip on Avery, let's put things into perspective:

Avery - sub-$2m cap hit, 69 games played, 11g, 20a, 31 point

Drury - over $7m cap hit, 77 games payed, 14g, 18a, 32 points

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

IF Redden outplays eveyone in camp it'll be a facade anyway. The guy is done. His skills deteriorate year after year... his contract is a punchline. Get him the **** outta here after training camp.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:32 AM
beastly115

Avery will be on the team.

Staal will be signed.

Redden will not be on the roster.

Of those things I am sure.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Before people rip on Avery, let's put things into perspective:

Avery - sub-$2m cap hit, 69 games played, 11g, 20a, 31 point

Drury - over $7m cap hit, 77 games payed, 14g, 18a, 32 points

To be fair, Avery's cap hit is only 2 mil because we got him at half price. And unlike Drury, Avery doesn't kill penalties. Neither one is worth what they make right now. Unfortunely, Drury can't be sent down, so I could see Avery being the odd man out.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I just don't think the rangers will cut Avery. He's too much of a unique player, how he get players off their games when he is on his game and has a pretty good shot. He is one of those players that torts talks about adding character in the locker room and to the team. He seemed tame most of the season, but he got his edge back until he was injured. I just don't see the rangers cutting Avery.
Yeah, but the problem is, he wasn't on "his" game very often last year.

And to quote The Wolf: "Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character."

I think Avery fits that description pretty well.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:48 AM
DrAStuart

The number of "ifs" in that article is hilarious...if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bus....

I think Brooks was bored and decided to string together a bunch of 'what ifs' designed to conjure up two nightmare scenarios for the fans -- first, that Redden stays in the line-up and, second, that Avery gets cut out...A feeble attempt to stir the pot...

Of course, IF an asteroid hits earth in the next six weeks then we probably won't be too concerned about what happens at the Rangers' training camp....

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:48 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
To be fair, Avery's cap hit is only 2 mil because we got him at half price. And unlike Drury, Avery doesn't kill penalties. Neither one is worth what they make right now. Unfortunely, Drury can't be sent down, so I could see Avery being the odd man out.
To be fully fair, Drury also gets more ice time than Avery.

Drury - 17:46 ATOI last year
Avery - 13:22 ATOI last year

Drury got exactly 3:00 per game, on average, of penalty kill time. He also averaged 2:03 per game of PP time.

Avery averaged 0:00 of pk time and 1:12 of PP time.

Thus, Drury was put in a better position to put up offensive numbers than Avery, and still fell flat on his face.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep if Avery was let go, but he is also not the problem with our team.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:55 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Considering Boogaard lacks the ability to play hockey, he won't be dressing 82 games, closer to 45-50 games tops, Avery will be on the roster, at least as a consistent 4th line LW.

The games Boogaard plays, Prust or Boyle can be scratched.

That and we don't know if Zuccarello will actually make it. Weise and Byers are capable as well.

LW
Frolov
Dubinsky
Prospal
Avery
Byers

C
Christensen/Dubinsky/Prospal
Anisimov
Drury
Boyle/White

RW
Gaborik
Callahan
Zuccarello/Weise
Prust
Boogaard

I can see Redden being on the roster, but that doesn't mean he should be. They should send him to Hartford and let things play out from there, either he leaves and breaches his contract or stays there until his contract expires.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yeah, but the problem is, he wasn't on "his" game very often last year.

And to quote The Wolf: "Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character."

I think Avery fits that description pretty well.
this is true...but his off games were mainly in the beginning of the season, he was nervous and timid, reason being he was afraid to cross a line and be kicked out of the NHL, truth be told if he did anything stupid bettman would have got him banned, but that timid play began to subside and he looked great when he finally got his edge back near the end of the season. I think you will see the edgey play right from the get go and torts must have figured out a way to push avery's buttons the right way to get him going, so I expect avery to be pretty effective right in the beginning of the season and throughout

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
TheHotRock

this is not a knock on avery or what he does, but...

torts is obviously not gonna be playing him much more than 10 minutes a game
1.9 mil is too high a cap hit for a guy who will be playing 10 BS minutes.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:09 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

Yea, but Avery can actually play hockey.

What about a 1.65 cap hit for a guy who literally can not play the game of hockey, skates less then 5 minutes per game, and only dresses about 45 games on average per season?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post

He, like so many of our other contracts, isn't moveable. We need to hope he can be effective on the 4th line and maybe contribute on the scoresheet from time to time.

I'm not gonna say "we're STUCK with him" because I feel he and the NYR kinda need each other but we need him to play on that edge and be effective. If not... what's the point?

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yea, but Avery can actually play hockey.

What about a 1.65 cap hit for a guy who literally can not play the game of hockey, skates less then 5 minutes per game, and only dresses about 45 games on average per season?
i don't understand people like you.

argue against the point I made, don't give me the "yea, but look at....." nonsense. that's how children argue.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:22 AM
MAYO

I think Monkey was just making a point and a valid one at that. It seems to me that every other day there is a thread about Avery not being on this squad. It is pretty hard not to look at stats from last year and realize that his point total was a bargain compared to a few others. This team is not the same without this guy in the line up period!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:32 AM
free0717

To be fair, Wade Redden stunk the last two years of Ottawa and the first two years with the Rangers. What makes anyone think the guy will get his game back is beyond me.

Avery is an important cog for this team. I believe Prospal is damaged goods and will not see much playing time. Avery has to play Avery's game. If he doesnt, he wont be effective

My lineu[

Frolov Christenson Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello-Aasen
Avery Drury Callahan
Booguard Boyle Prust

spare forwards Prospal, Wiese

Staal Del Zotto
Girardi Rozival
McDonough Gilroy

spare Dman: Eminger

Waived to minors: Redden, White

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
asparkoflife

Such a ridiculous article. Not Brooks' best by far. He's such a Sather hater he brings upon the question of Redden playing better. Give me a break.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
The number of "ifs" in that article is hilarious...if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bus....

I think Brooks was bored and decided to string together a bunch of 'what ifs' designed to conjure up two nightmare scenarios for the fans -- first, that Redden stays in the line-up and, second, that Avery gets cut out...A feeble attempt to stir the pot...

Of course, IF an asteroid hits earth in the next six weeks then we probably won't be too concerned about what happens at the Rangers' training camp....
Isn't this part of the fun of the offseason?

Honestly, I've had the same thoughts myself. Eventually, I just give up and become impatient for camp to start already.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:54 AM
McDonagh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
To be fair, Wade Redden stunk the last two years of Ottawa and the first two years with the Rangers. What makes anyone think the guy will get his game back is beyond me.

Avery is an important cog for this team. I believe Prospal is damaged goods and will not see much playing time. Avery has to play Avery's game. If he doesnt, he wont be effective

My lineu[

Frolov Christenson Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello-Aasen
Avery Drury Callahan
Booguard Boyle Prust

spare forwards Prospal, Wiese

Staal Del Zotto
Girardi Rozival
McDonough Gilroy

spare Dman: Eminger

Waived to minors: Redden, White

I like that lineup. There is now way however, that Prospal, our second best forward last year, is a healthy scratch.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAnisimov2Zherdev View Post
I like that lineup. There is now way however, that Prospal, our second best forward last year, is a healthy scratch.
Kotalik had the 2nd best stats from the year prior of any forward on the Rangers training camp roster last year. Look where he ended up. If Prospal has lost it and we have better options, he'll be benched.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Avery is worth keeping if only for playing against kovy and NJ…. That being said the only downside was several terrible penalties at bad times.

He had some great games and I and the crowd enjoy him most of the time. I too thought he had little NHL puck handling skills. I saw some replayed games and he has had some awesome plays with the puck. I think he does bring a lot to the team and is definitely worth a spot.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Such a ridiculous article. Not Brooks' best by far. He's such a Sather hater he brings upon the question of Redden playing better. Give me a break.
Brooks may hate Sather but there are no words to describe how much he loaths Torts. Much of the crap he spews is measured by how much it would PO Torts. The kid who used to beat up Brooksie at the bus stop looked like Torts, not Glen!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote