HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks "Sean Avery out of the picture?", "What if Wade Redden"...

Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Actually I thnk that Sather has created a competitive camp by having more players than positions. Not to mention more players than cap dollars. Some will definitely fall. I can't see Redden here but stranger things have happened in New York.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I don't understand why you guys are focusing on this Avery business from the article... The most intriguing part to me was the assurances that Redden will be sent down and that it's being communicated by the organization:

Quote:
There's no doubt the plan calls for Redden to be waived at some point during camp so his $6.5 million albatross of a cap hit can be removed from the ledger when the season commences, no doubt whatsoever.

The construction of the roster, including the recent signing of Alexander Frolov and trade for Todd White, indicates GM Glen Sather expects to have Redden's space available, and so does pretty much everything the organization is communicating this summer to anyone in the industry who will listen.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...LjxTqn3HC5YOEK

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:15 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I've been thinking about Avery lately, and I have to say that I don't think I would mind if we got rid of him. I don't mind him staying either, and I think that's what's going to happen.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
I've been thinking about Avery lately, and I have to say that I don't think I would mind if we got rid of him. I don't mind him staying either, and I think that's what's going to happen.
I'm not sure if there's a team in the NHL willing to take him after the disaster that happened with him in Dallas.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Let him Center the 4th line... He'll do a better job than Boyle.

Old
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't understand why you guys are focusing on this Avery business from the article... The most intriguing part to me was the assurances that Redden will be sent down and that it's being communicated by the organization:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...LjxTqn3HC5YOEK
Precisely. Avery's part in the article is only to emphasize more-so that Redden needs to be sent down no matter what. Because, who here would choose Redden over Avery? Not many. Although that's not really fair - that's what Brooks does to get readers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
Same here. I think if anyone needs to be moved is either him (or/and Redden, of course). The hype I had about him has sank since '08. He hasn't been the same player since he came back after being in Dallas for a little.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Let him Center the 4th line... He'll do a better job than Boyle.
Good point. Then if he can center the 4th line, keep him.

Old
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Maybe you should educate him if you want to go around a message board feeling like a genius because you think you know a thing or two about the NHL's CBA
Actually, I need very little education about the CBA. He clearly misunderstood my point. Simply that if they are hard up against the Cap during the season, the only way to add anything via trade is to send salary back. If they send 5m in (albeit prorated) salary one way for 6m (prorated) coming back, they'd send 1m to the minors (again, prorated and aka Eminger or Boogaard or whoever). That would obviously come into the equation with whatever trade was made.

My point was simply that having Avery on the 4th line making $1.9m wouldn't make any more of a difference, in terms of the Cap, than Boyle making $550k on the third line instead, as long as they're under. So why preclude that possibility if Avery is the better option for that spot than someone making less?

After training camp, you don't make lineup choices based on the Cap.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I have to say though... Brooks article is a bit contradictory to what he wrote earlier... In the above portion I quoted, he says White's salary (along with Frolov's) is part of the reason that Redden will get waived, yet in a prior column/article, he says it's highly unlikely that the Rangers will carry a $2.6 mil cap hit for White to be a bottom 6 forward.... Well Larry, do the Rangers intend to utilize him or not? Prior column would seem to suggest he was Hartford bound according to Brooks...

Old
08-08-2010, 01:35 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I have to say though... Brooks article is a bit contradictory to what he wrote earlier... In the above portion I quoted, he says White's salary (along with Frolov's) is part of the reason that Redden will get waived, yet in a prior column/article, he says it's highly unlikely that the Rangers will carry a $2.6 mil cap hit for White to be a bottom 6 forward.... Well Larry, do the Rangers intend to utilize him or not? Prior column would seem to suggest he was Hartford bound according to Brooks...
Doesn't really make sense but most of the stuff he writes always contradicts itself. Seems like he changes his mind more often than not.

It seems, judging by the trade and the logjam of forwards, that the Rangers will not carry Todd White. However, on the flip side, is NYR really going to send this veteran--fresh off a trade, to Hartford and say see ya later? Probably not.

Old
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Doesn't really make sense but most of the stuff he writes always contradicts itself. Seems like he changes his mind more often than not.

It seems, judging by the trade and the logjam of forwards, that the Rangers will not carry Todd White. However, on the flip side, is NYR really going to send this veteran--fresh off a trade, to Hartford and say see ya later? Probably not.
He is a Rangers fan...

Old
08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
However, on the flip side, is NYR really going to send this veteran--fresh off a trade, to Hartford and say see ya later? Probably not.
I think so... The guy is 35, coming off injuries/surgery, and only has 1 year left on his contract...

Old
08-08-2010, 01:54 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
I think so... The guy is 35, coming off injuries/surgery, and only has 1 year left on his contract...
This is the same team that is just now considering the option of sending Redden to Hartford. The reason Brashear was finally sent to Hartford was because fans ran him out of town and they realized he was a detriment. Todd White won't be a detriment in or out of the locker room. He'll play solid hockey, he just probably doesn't have much left in the tank. I don't think they'd do that to him, but that's just my opinion.

Old
08-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Wade Redden is going to be gone. He could play like Jesus on skates and hed still be cut.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
WOW does LArry Brooks read this website or what? I posted 2 weeks ago Avery would be the odd player out this year. People also have been going over the Redden crap for months. What Poster on this site is Larry Brooks?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
This is the same team that is just now considering the option of sending Redden to Hartford. The reason Brashear was finally sent to Hartford was because fans ran him out of town and they realized he was a detriment. Todd White won't be a detriment in or out of the locker room. He'll play solid hockey, he just probably doesn't have much left in the tank. I don't think they'd do that to him, but that's just my opinion.
Consider the press surrounding the signing... NYR.com features quotes from White only... Nothing from Tortorella, and nothing from Sather regarding the signing... None of the "We think he can really add depth to our team" or "He's a versatile center" etc.... The coach and GM are mum on the signing... To me that indicates they have no plans for him on the Rangers... Plus White can't be completely in the dark about this if he has half a brain... He knows his trade was part of a cap hit dump for the Rangers and not a situation where the Rangers targeted/pursued a player deliberately and sent assets the other way for the acquisition.... This was a salary dump for ATL and a cap dump for the Rangers.... There should be no implied assumption that the Rangers have a spot/role for White....

Old
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
WOW does LArry Brooks read this website or what? I posted 2 weeks ago Avery would be the odd player out this year. People also have been going over the Redden crap for months. What Poster on this site is Larry Brooks?
You? Trying to get all the credit haha

Old
08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Consider the press surrounding the signing... NYR.com features quotes from White only... Nothing from Tortorella, and nothing from Sather regarding the signing... None of the "We think he can really add depth to our team" or "He's a versatile center" etc.... The coach and GM are mum on the signing... To me that indicates they have no plans for him on the Rangers... Plus White can't be completely in the dark about this if he has half a brain... He knows his trade was part of a cap hit dump for the Rangers and not a situation where the Rangers targeted/pursued a player deliberately and sent assets the other way for the acquisition.... This was a salary dump for ATL and a cap dump for the Rangers.... There should be no implied assumption that the Rangers have a spot/role for White....
Yeah, maybe they didn't pencil him into the lineup when calling for his services, however, if the guy plays better than others, he's going to make the team. And he's probably going to play better than others. At least others in his "role", Boyle, Stepan, etc.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
WOW do you read too much into what comes out of the organization.

There should be no implied assumption about anything that happens other than Redden being sent down, which they've clearly put themselves in a position to do. White can fit under this team's Cap. He'll be given a shot in camp.

What comes out of the PR department is just that: PR. And everything that comes out of the organization goes through PR.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Yes, Larry always copies you. You should sue him.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Actually, I need very little education about the CBA. He clearly misunderstood my point. Simply that if they are hard up against the Cap during the season, the only way to add anything via trade is to send salary back. If they send 5m in (albeit prorated) salary one way for 6m (prorated) coming back, they'd send 1m to the minors (again, prorated and aka Eminger or Boogaard or whoever). That would obviously come into the equation with whatever trade was made.

My point was simply that having Avery on the 4th line making $1.9m wouldn't make any more of a difference, in terms of the Cap, than Boyle making $550k on the third line instead, as long as they're under. So why preclude that possibility if Avery is the better option for that spot than someone making less?

After training camp, you don't make lineup choices based on the Cap.
Sure you do. If there's no trade market for certain players, and you're not willing to send them to the minors, it will certainly affect the rest of your lineup.

That last sentence is really very short-sighted.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Yes, Larry always copies you. You should sue him.
well, not to give dagoon a bigger head than he already has, but Larry has copied me before in the past...stuff ive written on my blog. *shrugs* doesnt bother me, i just take it as a compliment. it wouldnt surprise me if he did read something here and wrote an article about it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Sure you do. If there's no trade market for certain players, and you're not willing to send them to the minors, it will certainly affect the rest of your lineup.

That last sentence is really very short-sighted.
Actually, no. The decision to send a player to the minors includes the notion that someone in the minors would play better than him. The Cap doesn't come into play there, only the good of the roster. In Redden's case there was no one in Hartford last year who the organization felt, rightly or wrongly, would be better than him in the lineup. This year, they felt it more important to upgrade their forwards than to give Redden the chance to be better than a newcomer. But that's purely an offseason decision.

What you're talking about, and what I mentioned in that last paragraph, is a roster decision, anyway. That is not what I was talking about either. I'm talking about lineup decisions. If you have a player on the roster who is better for a spot than another player on the roster, the worse player sits. This decision in no way affects the Cap situation.

By the way, if Redden is the best defenseman in Hartford, he'll be the first callup if Roszival gets injured and put on LTIR.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
XLJ

I think Prospal will be at center anyway. The rangers are too thin there. Its either him or Dubi that gets moved to center. White is not the answer . I think he will be in Hartford. And Boogaard sucks he cant play hockey he will not dress every game. I think there will be a spot for Avery dont know if it is 3rd or 4th line.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote