HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan the next Stastny??

Old
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Ke11y96

vCash: 500
Stepan the next Stastny??

Similar size, scouting reports, and drafted in very similar numbers

44th for Stastny
51st for Stepan

Similar college numbers it just makes me think that Stepan could make the jump much like stastny did at 20.

They are both high in hockey IQ and not gifted skaters but great passers.

Stastny is only 6' 204 according to nhl.com

Stepan is 6' 187, and in an interview with sather back in mid july "Stepan looks physically mature"

I'm sure Stastny was no bigger than that when he entered the league and managed 78 points. Not that Stepan could repeat that, but I wonder what his rookie year would be like with Frolov on the left a 30 goal man, and Gaborik on the right essentially at some point a 50 goal man...

Thoughts?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

It's certainly possible. When you have high hockey IQ like Stepan has, the ceiling tends to be higher than what's estimated.

Is it likely? Hell no, Stastny is a magnificent player. But anything could happen.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
LyNX27

Don't know Stastny enough to comment on the comparison

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Ke11y96

I just think why waste a year even two with Christensen? This guy has been waived by some pretty bad teams, Atlanta who needed centers at the time when they waived him, and Anaheim I mean now we have him centering our top line with Gaborik because of chemistry?! We all know Gaborik can play with anyone so i'm pretty much seeing it as Christensen was riding shotgun and enjoying the easy setup points.

If Sather won't go trade for a number one center, then he needs to let Stepan see what he can do between to 30 goal or better wingers, since he is our only shot in the pipeline of talent to evolve into a number 1 center. (of course long shot is anisimov).

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
azrok22

Lofty hopes/expectations, imho.

I'd be more than happy with Stepan turning into a Pavelski-type center (~60 point performance). If he ends up a point-per-game center in the mod of Stastny, I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
I just think why waste a year even two with Christensen? This guy has been waived by some pretty bad teams, Atlanta who needed centers at the time when they waived him, and Anaheim I mean now we have him centering our top line with Gaborik because of chemistry?! We all know Gaborik can play with anyone so i'm pretty much seeing it as Christensen was riding shotgun and enjoying the easy setup points.
Christensen was waived because he wasn't performing. He performed here and earned the chance to be resigned and on the Roster next year.

Giving Stepan hurdles to leap over isn't bad for his growth.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Thats a very nice upside potential.... I dont recall what Stastny was like in pre NHL

What I really like about Stepan is he's been more than a stat machine. He's been a leader in high pressure situations and won the games.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
ThirdEye

I have a ton of confidence in Stepan, so I wouldn't be shocked at all...

Most people will disagree though

It seems like Rangers fans aren't afraid to hype our prospects, but whenever someone insists that one of them may have top line potential or greater everyone immediately gets wary (for the obvious reason that we haven't had a GREAT homegrown offensive player in centuries). However, I think Stepan and Kreider have that potential

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post

If Sather won't go trade for a number one center, then he needs to let Stepan see what he can do between to 30 goal or better wingers, since he is our only shot in the pipeline of talent to evolve into a number 1 center. (of course long shot is anisimov).
Christensen, despite being waived by numerous other teams, was great as a Ranger. Maybe he finally gets it. He deserves his shot to make the team. He earned it imo.

I would love to see a top prospect like Stepan make the team and start messing teams up like Kane or Stamkos, but the people who have actually seen him play more than a few times a seem to think he wont be ready and he'll be Hartford bound in one of the last cuts.

Christensen was given a chance and he made good on the opportunity. There is logic to riding that hand out now for the Rangers.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
It's funny that you actually started this thread because after watching both of them, Stastny was the first guy who came to mind while I watched Stepan play for Wisconsin. Other guys also mention Pavelski which is also a good comparison too.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Christensen, despite being waived by numerous other teams, was great as a Ranger. Maybe he finally gets it. He deserves his shot to make the team. He earned it imo.

I would love to see a top prospect like Stepan make the team and start messing teams up like Kane or Stamkos, but the people who have actually seen him play more than a few times a seem to think he wont be ready and he'll be Hartford bound in one of the last cuts.

Christensen was given a chance and he made good on the opportunity. There is logic to riding that hand out now for the Rangers.
Erik Chistensen...."a great Ranger" Erik Christensen.....

Sums up the state of this team quite nicely.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Stastny and Pavelski are examples of players not unlike Stepan, play and originwise, who panned out. There are numerous examples of players who did not.

We can always hope, however I see Stepan's upside as 20 goals 70 points, I doubt he reaches it as quickly as Stastny even if he does progress as hoped.

EC will get his shot. Why waste time? Because he put up 26 points in 41 games in the second half of the season for the rangers, which is scoring at the same pace as Dubinsky and is a damn bargain to have around at 950k, even if he ends up just an injury fill-in for the Gaborik line like Isbister was on the Jagr line.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

How is Stepan on faceoffs? I was surprised to see that Stastny won the 3rd most faceoffs in the league last season.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
How is Stepan on faceoffs? I was surprised to see that Stastny won the 3rd most faceoffs in the league last season.
ehh......Stepan is average. Probably will struggle for his first year or two at the pro level with them. Like most do.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Christensen and Stepan are two entirely different cases.

EC has bounced around a few teams and shown some talent but not enough to stick around. He has been a big name in the AHL but is slowly making progress up here. He knows that if he doesn't make it with the Rangers he is probably done in the NHL.

Stepan is a prospect who is ranked highly and will be looking to take a spot in camp and start his NHL career. He has shown success at every level he has been at so far.

The difference here is that EC has shown he can succeed in the NHL while Stepan has not done anything on NHL ice. Christensen will, barring any unforeseen events, be a starting center on this team and most likely on the top two units. Until Stepan shows something at some professional level (NHL, AHL, ECHL, SEL...where ever) he and EC will not be fighting for the same spots.

How many centers have come out of juniors or NCAA and centered the top 6? Not many and I don't think Stepan is anywhere near the level of those few who have done it yet....id love to be wrong but lets be realistic here.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:47 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I thnk Stepan and Seguin are alike, but Seguin is a better finisher.

BobMarleyNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think this is a pretty good comparison. I like to think Stepan would be to us as Mike Richards is to Philly.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I thnk Stepan and Seguin are alike, but Seguin is a better finisher.
Hes bigger and a better skater too.

I love Steps, but hes no Seguin.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
ecemleafs

Steps kind of reminds me of Gretzky in terms of build, skating, vision, hockey iq, and that they were both at one time rangers property.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I think this is a pretty good comparison. I like to think Stepan would be to us as Mike Richards is to Philly.
Richards really isnt a good comparison..

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Richards really isnt a good comparison..
I think in terms of leadership and hockey IQ(2 way game) it really is. However,the size, strength, and the power game it isn't.

I think a few years down the line when people talk about the Rangers they'll be talking about Stepan. Personally, of all our prospects he excites me the most and I believe he has very good potential to be the face of this franchise years down the line just like Richards is for Philadelphia. This is just my opinion.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
frankthefrowner

Christensen will have no bearing on whether or not Stepan plays on the Rangers... If Stepan comes in and impresses then EC gets sent to Hartford, although i think its likely they will give Derek atleast a half year in HFD Regardless.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Then expect Dubi to pound on him too.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gordie Clark cites Craig Janney and Adam Oates as comparables to Stepan. Clark was associated with the Bruins when Janney and Oates were Bruins. They were traded for each other in 1992. Clark was an assistant coach under Mike Milbury and then moved into a scouting role. Stepan has excellent hockey sense and vision. Average size and skater. Those are the same attributes shared by Janney and Oates. Stepan is better skater than Janney and Oates were. Especially Janney.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Crazyhorse30

LOL Can we see him play a game first?

Typical Rangers fans.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote