HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If Redden was waived... and then re-called...

Old
08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
If Redden was waived... and then re-called...

I think its a forgone conclusion that the Rangers will demote Redden to the AHL to clear cap-space. Would anyone pickup Redden if he was waived then placed on re-call waivers at some point in the season? Is it worth picking up Redden at a cap-hit of 3.25 million for another 4 seasons? Would the Rangers re-call Redden and risk 3.25M of dead cap-space over the remainder of his contract?

Your thoughts...

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
DrZoidberg

No, just leave him down there.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Would the Rangers re-call Redden and risk 3.25M of dead cap-space over the remainder of his contract?
Doubtful. I think the extra $3.25m in cap space would be considered more valuable than the $3.25m in real dollars saved per year to a franchise with such deep pockets.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Not a chance he would be re-called. Can't Redden be loaned to a KHL team if he is buried in the minors?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Why would we re-call him?

****, we're hoping he refuses demotion so we can just void his contract

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
ComixZone

Isn't there a rule where you can only demote a player under a 1-way contract for only 1 of the years of that contract?

(I could be wrong)

If so, what does demoting Redden for 1 year really accomplish? Not to mention, that even if I am wrong about that "1 year only" thing, the reputation of your team is going to take a huge hit in the NHLPA and it WILL hamper your team's ability come free agency time.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
If so, what does demoting Redden for 1 year really accomplish? Not to mention, that even if I am wrong about that "1 year only" thing, the reputation of your team is going to take a huge hit in the NHLPA and it WILL hamper your team's ability come free agency time.
That's a myth. It didn't hamper the Devils attracting Kovalchuk (Mogilny), it didn't hamper the Rangers signing Gaborik (Kasparaitis).

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Areid1990

Quote:
Isn't there a rule where you can only demote a player under a 1-way contract for only 1 of the years of that contract?

(I could be wrong)

This NY we are talking about. People will kill to play for the Rangers and demoting Redden would do nothing to deter people away from them.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
This NY we are talking about. People will kill to play for the Rangers and demoting Redden would do nothing to deter people away from them.
Which is why guys like Drury, Holik, Redden, and Gomez all took pay cuts to play there.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

If he gets demoted, I see him refuses it, having his contract voided then signing elsewhere cheap.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Which is why guys like Drury, Holik, Redden, and Gomez all took pay cuts to play there.
To be fair its likely the living costs. I would love to move to NYC, but not unless someone raise my salary by about 20% to off-set the high living cost.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
no one would take him, so I don't see why this thread is here.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:

(I could be wrong)

Never heard of any rule like that.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Skim

I could definitely see a team claiming him if was recalled. However if the Rangers send him down, I'm pretty sure there is 0% chance he is recalled. 3+Mil in dead cap space for 4 years is not a good thing.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
To be fair its likely the living costs. I would love to move to NYC, but not unless someone raise my salary by about 20% to off-set the high living cost.
I am sorry but that is a load of bull. Those guys salary without the massive overpayment by the Rangers would still be enough to lie comfortably in NYC.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

I thought Redden has a NMC?

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
I thought Redden has a NMC?
No, that's Drury.

Old
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That's a myth. It didn't hamper the Devils attracting Kovalchuk (Mogilny), it didn't hamper the Rangers signing Gaborik (Kasparaitis).
Deserved or undeserved foreign players, especially Russians, have always been treated differently and the Mogilny/Kasparitis situations and were more tolerated. I somewhat forget the specifics but wasn't there drama going on with these two anyway?

Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.

disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder View Post
Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.
The Rangers did that as well (Brashear). I still don't think it will hamper them (and certainly Brashear's replacement (Boogaard) thinks so, too).

Old
08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Wade Redden should know he sucks, so why would he refuse assignment to the AHL while still collecting 6.5 mill ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

(I could be wrong)

And you think letting underachieving, unmotivated players comfortably hold their roster spots simply because they were signed to a large contract is a good precedent to set?

"Come sign with the Rangers! We'll give you a large contract and you'll have no incentive to live up to it!"

Any player who isn't willing to sign with the Rangers because Wade Redden was sent down after 2 trainwreck seasons is not a player I want signing with us in the first place. Give me players who want to earn their contract, not ones who think signing one should give them the ability to coast through it.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:32 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
If he gets demoted, I see him refuses it, having his contract voided then signing elsewhere cheap.
He'd have to reallllly want to be in the NHL to do that. I can't see the guy walking away from 23 million over the next 4 years even if they put him in the minors.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Dsmissed

Agreed.

Dsmissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Dsmissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Doubtful. I think the extra $3.25m in cap space would be considered more valuable than the $3.25m in real dollars saved per year to a franchise with such deep pockets.
agreed

Dsmissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:37 PM
BPD

Rangers wouldn't risk the recall waivers split.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote