HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - Second Line Right Wing

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2nd line RW?
Vinny Prospal 14 12.73%
Ryan Callahan 20 18.18%
Evgeny Grachev 1 0.91%
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen 74 67.27%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Sean Avery 1 0.91%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - Second Line Right Wing

Alexander Frolov (51.49%) - Erik Christensen (54.08%) - Marian Gaborik (100%)
Brandon Dubinsky (80.33%) - Artem Anisimov (67.16%) - Second Line Right Wing
Third Line Left Wing - Third Line Center - Third Line Right Wing
Fourth Line Left Wing - Fourth Line Center - Fourth Line Right Wing
Backup Forward

Marc Staal (100%) - First Pairing Defenseman
Second Pairing Defenseman - Second Pairing Defenseman
Third Pairing Defenseman - Third Pairing Defenseman

Henrik Lundqvist (100%)
Martin Biron (100%)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

going with Cally. Hes Brandon Prust, but better in every aspect (except fighting)...and we all know how well Prust worked with AA.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I want MZA on the second line, but if AA is the center and Doobs is the LW, a Dubi-AA-Cally line can be great seeing as how its apparent AA shines with big boys on his sides.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
asparkoflife

Went with Cally. Dubinsky-AA-Cally could be a real good line this season.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Ryan Callahan is an EXCELLENT third liner. But if he's playing top 6 minutes, we're in trouble.

Went MZA for the exact same reason I argued so hard for AA as the 2nd line center - if Torts wants to win this year, he needs to count on the kids to come in and contribute. If this team is going to make the playoffs (which is what I personally think he must do in order to keep his job), he needs MZA to come in and make a splash like Prucha did in his first year. Torts needs to play him at 2nd line RW and hope he performs.

If he's making conservative, low-risk/low-reward moves like playing Prospal at 2nd line center and Callahan at 2nd line RW, then he's conceding a bottom 3rd in the league finish. And he's conceding his job.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Blazephr

went with Cally ...prolly best option on a line with Dubi and Arty.

MZA will be in Hartford to start the season.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Ryan Callahan is an EXCELLENT third liner. But if he's playing top 6 minutes, we're in trouble.

Went MZA for the exact same reason I argued so hard for AA as the 2nd line center - if Torts wants to win this year, he needs to count on the kids to come in and contribute. If this team is going to make the playoffs (which is what I personally think he must do in order to keep his job), he needs MZA to come in and make a splash like Prucha did in his first year. Torts needs to play him at 2nd line RW and hope he performs.

If he's making conservative, low-risk/low-reward moves like playing Prospal at 2nd line center and Callahan at 2nd line RW, then he's conceding a bottom 3rd in the league finish. And he's conceding his job.
Very good explanation, and I agree with you. If MZA is on this team, this is the spot where he's going to be.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I guess Im going with Prospal if he plays the right side.

MZA is in there in my ideal lineup I have already shown, but since this differs from my top 6 already this is where I think Prospal should go.

Its premature to pencil MZA into a top 6 role for anything other than hopeful lineups at this point, not realistic ones. Gilroy was in a bit of a different situation last year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
NYRSchrute217

Zuccarello Aasen. He wouldn't work out on the third line with Drury because that'd be a defense first line.

Callahan compliments Drury well and thus they will continue to play together on the third line.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
XLJ

I guess I'm going to have to go with Prospal. He is a much more talented offensive player than Callahan. MZA being the 2nd line rw is wishful thinking. Is he even nhl ready? Obviously I hope he is it would make the rangers a lot better but I wouldn't count on it.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I would go with Prospal but for some reason can't vote...

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:11 PM
AJRanger

I would go with Cally, but I'd prefer to see him alongside Drury on the third line. MZA if he makes the team.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I want MZA on the second line, but if AA is the center and Doobs is the LW, a Dubi-AA-Cally line can be great seeing as how its apparent AA shines with big boys on his sides.
Cally isn't all that big, though. He plays big, but he's only like 5-10, 185.

That could all be arbitrary, though. They may form good chemistry, which is really all that matters.

It would be a hard forecheckng line, that's for sure.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Zuccarello Aasen. He wouldn't work out on the third line with Drury because that'd be a defense first line.

Callahan compliments Drury well and thus they will continue to play together on the third line.
Honestly, that's where i would have Callahan, too.

I'd like to see Prospal with Drury and Callahan.

I think that would add some playmaking to that line, and possibly get the offense going on top of the defensive play they already bring. Drury can still snipe it every now and then.

Dubinsky - Christensen/White - Gaborik
Frolov - Anisimov - Zuccarello
Prospal - Drury - Callahan
Avery - Boyle/White/Christensen - Prust/Boogaard

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 08-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Cally isn't all that big, though. He plays big, but he's only like 5-10, 185.

That could all be arbitrary, though. They may form good chemistry, which is really all that matters.

It would be a hard forecheckng line, that's for sure.
With Dubi having size and Cally playing as if he has size, I think it'd still be the perfect line to cater to AA's needs.

Though like I said, I want MZA on the second, atleast at the beginning, though AA and MZA together doesn't rub me the right way since I doubt AA would feel comfortable with the (lack of) size on MZA.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:00 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

I really think Callahan is a Top 6 player and could score 30 goals on a good line. Unfortunately, I think skill-wise the spot has to go to Zuccarello-Aasen if he has a good camp/preseason. If not, put Cally on the 2nd line with Dubi and Anisimov.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
RESPECT THE SHIELD10

Prospal for me. I think that line could use a puck posession player like vinny. That and Prospal's effectivness ends at the top 6, he is not a bottom six player.

RESPECT THE SHIELD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:38 PM
darko

MZA gets my vote. Callahan is a 3rd liner, lets keep him there. Can Vinny play rigth side? If he can he would be there if MZA stinks it up.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

What's it matter? The 2nd and 3rd line will probably get the same ice time.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd say Prospal, but I'm not sure he can play RW.

So I went with Callahan.

Third line would look like this:
Avery-Prospal-Drury

4th line:
Byers/Weise-Boyle-Prust

Boogard, White

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

MZA. He was something special in the Olympics and deserves the minutes. Putting him on the third line with Dreary is just setting him up to fail.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Zucco. Whether or not he totally earns it in camp is another story...but I'd bet he opens there.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

referring to the question....it WILL be Aasen

I WANT it to be Cally for now

just because i think AA in between him and dubi can be a good second line and MZA is unproven

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:22 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

as long as MZA is with Dubi I'm happy. Would've rather had Prospal in the other slot but AA will work too I guess

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

I voted for Zucco, but I totally disagree with this. I don't think we'd be in trouble at all. If Avery or Prust were getting top 6 mins, we'd be in trouble. Cally is capable of playing those minutes and bringing a consistent game every night. You know what you're getting from him every shift and with the right linemates, he'd be a huuuge asset in a top 6 role. In fact, not many top 6 players in the league are more consistent with their effort than Cally. Crosby, Ovechkin come to mind. I can't think of more than 3-5 others.

Anything Cally lacks in terms of finesse and "elite skill," he more than makes up for with hard-work, consistency, speed, and smarts. With the right linemates, he would not look at all out of place in a top 6. Admittedly, I don't think we have the centers right now for him to work out in that role, which is why I think he should be our 3rd line RW. But, Callahan does so many important yet subtle things above average that he really would fit on a LOT of 2nd lines in the NHL, and even some 1st lines. Cally with Crosby could score 30-35, maybe more. As much as Rangers fans love him for his heart and effort, he's actually UNDERRATED as a hockey player. Great wrist shot, above-average speed, great hockey sense, slightly above average puck-handling, and isn't afraid to drive to the crease and get his nose dirty. Since we've lacked elite forward talent for such a long time (sans Jagr, and now Gaborik), we've forgotten that Hard work > Finesse. Obviously, when you've got both (Jagr, Gaborik) it's lethal. But I'll take the guy who gives 100% every single night over the guy who doesn't even if he clearly has more skill. That's why in most cases, for a team looking for the Stanley Cup, a Callahan has more value than a Zherdev. *There are of course exceptions, like Kovalchuk, who while being a one-dimensional, inconsistent (from a shift-to-shift, night-to-night basis) is such a commodity because he's so good at that one dimension: scoring goals and creating offense. And while being inconsistent on a short-term basis, he does end up putting up a consistent amount of points each year (80-90 points). But again, this is the exception, not the rule, imo.

Love Cally. On this team, his role should be 3rd line. MZA is a highly skilled forward who needs minutes and I think he'll look very good next to Dubi's puck strength and Anisimov's size and two-way game.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote