HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Top Prospects - #8

View Poll Results: Who's #8?
D Mark Alt 0 0%
D Danny Biega 0 0%
D Brian Dumoulin 22 75.86%
D Justin Faulk 1 3.45%
D Michal Jordan 0 0%
D Tommi Kivisto 1 3.45%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
G Mike Murphy 2 6.90%
W Oskar Osala 3 10.34%
G Justin Peters 0 0%
RW Jerome Samson 0 0%
LW Justin Shugg 0 0%
RW Jared Staal 0 0%
C/LW Chris Terry 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2010, 06:03 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I'm sure Dumoulin will win, but I'm still saying Faulk is a better prospect. Probably better than Sanguinetti, too. Maybe even top 5 among our group. Obviously, he's being hurt by his youth and the fact that we haven't read/seen a lot on him, but generally speaking, I think our youngest prospects -- and Europeans -- are essentially getting ignored (aside from Skinner for obvious reasons) because of the "newness" to the system.

Speaking of Faulk, doesn't he have McBain's skillset with better pedigree? Yeah, he's three years behind McBain, his long-term upside is at least on par, no?

I think in large part this has become an exercise in name recognition and general perception, without any real insight.
Pretty much what Erik Stall said. Age is write off. Dumoulin is more proven and has shown more of a well rounded game at a higher level. Faulk isn't really a PPQB as much as he is a cannon on the point. He has good offensive instincts, but he's not the guy who will be looking for the backdoor pass. Plus, Dumoulin has already shown that he can play a well composed and smart defensive game.

Faulk is the more exciting prospect. He's got a cannon, he likes to throw hits and loves to pinch and play an offense first game, but as far as straight line projection, Dumoulin hands down. Scouting reports and stat columns won't do him justice. He's not flashy enough for people to take notice of him. Then again, neither was Lidstrom and Keith (I'm not saying Dumoulin will be even close to their level, but their mobile positional style of defense is becoming more and more common and is a safe bet to translate well).

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:58 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
Plus, Dumoulin has already shown that he can play a well composed and smart defensive game.

but as far as straight line projection, Dumoulin hands down. Scouting reports and stat columns won't do him justice. He's not flashy enough for people to take notice of him. Then again, neither was Lidstrom and Keith (I'm not saying Dumoulin will be even close to their level, but their mobile positional style of defense is becoming more and more common and is a safe bet to translate well).
Ive posted this before but since Dumoulin is a runaway winner here i will post it one more time. We need too be careful assuming Dumoulin's first year is an obvious indicator of straight line projection. Jerry York's system it built to let his Dmen play without much thinking and focusing on smaller portions of ice since the forwards are doing a ton of work in the defensive zone. There are plenty of examples of York guys who look like they are ready defensively only to find the pro game much harder when their responsibilities double dating back to BGSU. Those guys dont come out of BC with a Masters in Defense.....its more like a Prep school degree in basic defensive fundamentals. Last season Matt Gilroy was a good example of this. He was said to be NHL ready and he was terrible in his own zone having to patrol as much as ice as NHL dmen have to. Heck, York once told people that Mike Mottau was the same kind of player as Rafalski, which is what he might have looked like in York's system. Im not saying Dumoulin isnt going to be a 2nd pairing guy but i dont believe he is any more projectable than Faulk at this point. Its a bit like projecting college QBs in the run'n'shoot, you really dont have any idea since they arent showing the full range of skills due to their team system.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm not sure when to vote for Peters, who is obviously not an exciting prospect and will probably never play much, but who is more certain to be an NHL'er than anyone left on the list...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:06 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Ive posted this before but since Dumoulin is a runaway winner here i will post it one more time. We need too be careful assuming Dumoulin's first year is an obvious indicator of straight line projection. Jerry York's system it built to let his Dmen play without much thinking and focusing on smaller portions of ice since the forwards are doing a ton of work in the defensive zone. There are plenty of examples of York guys who look like they are ready defensively only to find the pro game much harder when their responsibilities double dating back to BGSU. Those guys dont come out of BC with a Masters in Defense.....its more like a Prep school degree in basic defensive fundamentals. Last season Matt Gilroy was a good example of this. He was said to be NHL ready and he was terrible in his own zone having to patrol as much as ice as NHL dmen have to. Heck, York once told people that Mike Mottau was the same kind of player as Rafalski, which is what he might have looked like in York's system. Im not saying Dumoulin isnt going to be a 2nd pairing guy but i dont believe he is any more projectable than Faulk at this point. Its a bit like projecting college QBs in the run'n'shoot, you really dont have any idea since they arent showing the full range of skills due to their team system.
Well, although that's true, I didn't make my case based on his +40. I think he projects better because of his skillset. He's big, can skate well, can handle the puck, makes a good first pass, plays pretty solid positionally in his own end, doesn't go for the big hit or take himself out of the play very often and most importantly how quickly he adjusted to the NCAA game.

Lots of those things showed on the odd man rushes and breakdowns. I don't think it's fair to assess a defenseman on their in zone play alone. It's often the rushes that breakdown most young defenseman, but Dumoulin was a player who played rather composed in those situations.

But again, I like your point because it further nails home that stats can be so misleading. I just think that with the skills Dumoulin showed this year, that he'll adjust rather well. Of course, since he doesn't play a physical game, he will have his hiccups where he will rely too much on his stick or skating going against men who can just blow through him. I just see a good sized kid who can skate, has good offensive and defensive skills and is a smart hockey player and just think we hit a homerun with that second round pick. It's not even like we're projecting him at this point. He's been successful at the NCAA level in his rookie season, so it's not like he's the project he was made out to be. But, we'll see. Maybe I'm hyping the wrong prospect, maybe I'm not. Only time will tell, but as for now, I think he's our most intriguing defensive prospect.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
Still not allowed to vote, but Dumoulin.

This'll be a runaway.

I can so I voted for you

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I can so I voted for you