HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Ice Advantage - a theory:

Old
08-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why do you spout that crap like it's fact?

As a player myself, and i presume it's exactly the same for every other player in the world, when you have every single person cheering you on personally, you get a massive rush, that can make you play at a different level. It's not the last thing you think about, it's the only thing!
My entire life... I've completely zoned out the ambient (crowd) noise of every sport I've ever played... and I've played before some large crowds when I was younger playing competitive stuff. Hell, I wrestled for a few years and if you ever watch a wrestling match the coaches are barking advice the entire match.... never heard a word.

When there's a stoppage of play or whatever, maybe you notice that stuff and it pumps you up... but when you're actually playing, I don't think it has that big of an effect. Especially for professional athletes at this level of competition, you're not hurting for competitive inspiration to be playing at your highest level. If you struggle for motivation, you're not making it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
phillyfanatic

I think you are missing the point. I was asking why every sport pro or international, with direct advantage (last change) or nothing (olympics ie) has a home advantage?

You can't say it is last change as that is NHL hockey specific. That is also a new rule

I was saying, players feel the crowd behind them. Is it noise? Or is it the fans almost willing the team to victory? I know it is a weird thought, but there is 'something' about a home crowd that increases your likelihood of winning. What is it? That, is the question..,.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
its not the fans willing their team to victory, thats for sure....unless the fans "will" a 12v battery at the opposing team's heads.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I think you are missing the point. I was asking why every sport pro or international, with direct advantage (last change) or nothing (olympics ie) has a home advantage?

You can't say it is last change as that is NHL hockey specific. That is also a new rule

I was saying, players feel the crowd behind them. Is it noise? Or is it the fans almost willing the team to victory? I know it is a weird thought, but there is 'something' about a home crowd that increases your likelihood of winning. What is it? That, is the question..,.
Well, the crowd noise in the playoffs is an order of magnitude more significant than it is in the regular season (it's really not even comparable as far as volume), and home ice advantage isn't all that valuable anymore. So they're not willing a whole lot there.

Honestly, I think crowd noise has more of an effect on officials than it does on the players as far as influencing stuff (common to multiple sports). In the NBA it's a complete and utter joke, but even in the NHL you'll see a home team get a call because of the immediate groan pulling the refs attention or getting 'em to make a call... not mention making 'em remember that they've missed a call and so forth.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote