Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Mike Ribeiro on the block?

Old
08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Mike Ribeiro on the block?

EJ Hradek tweeted that the Stars are trying to move Ribeiro but haven't got an offer they like.

My question to Stars fans is why? Is it because of ownership issues? Locker room problems?

Why would they be trying to move a top pairing defenseman with a $5 million dollar per year contract (and cap hit) through 2013?

The guy has been consistent virtually his entire career so I'm just trying to find out more information.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Old news. He's allegedly been on the block since last Spring.

In brief, they can't add payroll outright and they need defense. With Richards, Benn and Wandell down the middle, it makes Ribeiro a bit more expendable for that defensive part needed, at least in the eyes of the organization. Whether he's a good or decent fit in the system is immaterial.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Old news. He's allegedly been on the block since last Spring.

In brief, they can't add payroll outright and they need defense. With Richards, Benn and Wandell down the middle, it makes Ribeiro a bit more expendable for that defensive part needed.
I can understand that. But when I asked what the Stars would want in return he said a top 4 pucking moving defenseman. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

My apologies if this is old news.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Chad_

What doesn't make sense? That the Stars need an upper pairing d-man?

Old
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
What doesn't make sense? That the Stars need an upper pairing d-man?
So he's not a top pairing defenseman?

And if they add a "top 4" puck moving defenseman then they're going to be adding salary or paying an almost identical amount.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
EJ Hradek tweeted that the Stars are trying to move Ribeiro but haven't got an offer they like.

My question to Stars fans is why? Is it because of ownership issues? Locker room problems?

Why would they be trying to move a top pairing defenseman with a $5 million dollar per year contract (and cap hit) through 2013?

The guy has been consistent virtually his entire career so I'm just trying to find out more information.
Assuming Ralph Strangis is right Nieuwendyk doesn't think as highly of Ribeiro as the previous GM(s). Yes he also has off the ice problems. The Stars want to clean up locker room problems a hint why Modano's gone as well.

Now why Ribeiro doesn't have good trade value is another thing. A local person in Bob Sturm who has some connections within the organization said the Stars would love to trade Mike Ribeiro and was trying to find out why Ribeiro didn't have trade value, he did mention specifically Souray's name.
During a interview with Strangis who just kept saying the Stars would like to get some value in return.

Quote:
Old news. He's allegedly been on the block since last Spring..
Spring of 09 right?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Chad_

Mike Ribeiro? Ribeiro plays and has always played center. I thought your first written comment with regard to Ribeiro's alleged position was a typo, but now I see you think he plays defense.

The Stars want to upgrade the club's blue line, and to do so, they are trying to move a player in a position of strength to shore up a weakness. The money Ribeiro makes would help offset the salary coming back.

ADDED: The rumors of Ribeiro being on the block weren't anything like they have been this past spring through to now in 2009. In 2009 it was alleged the Stars would entertain offers for Ribeiro, whereas around the past trade deadline through to today the rumors have been the Stars are actively shopping him.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
So he's not a top pairing defenseman?

And if they add a "top 4" puck moving defenseman then they're going to be adding salary or paying an almost identical amount.
Wait, what's going on here? Is this serious?

Do you think Mike Ribeiro is a defenseman?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:54 PM
SinBinTexan

oh wow...

SinBinTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
________

Quote:
ADDED: whereas around the past trade deadline through to today the rumors have been the Stars are actively shopping him.
I think it was in October of 09' the Stars started to do more or at least the rumors started to leak more and more often.

The most common two defenseman I've seen linked to the Stars are Tom Gilbert and Souray.
Other times I know Kaberle's name was brought up, Nieuwendyk probably does have interest in him I don't want him however and it would be a bad return for Ribeiro.

Old
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Mike Ribeiro? Ribeiro plays and has always played center. I thought your first written comment with regard to Ribeiro's alleged position was a typo, but now I see you think he plays defense.

The Stars want to upgrade the club's blue line, and to do so, they are trying to move a player in a position of strength to shore up a weakness. The money Ribeiro makes would help offset the salary coming back.

ADDED: The rumors of Ribeiro being on the block weren't anything like they have been this past spring through to now in 2009. In 2009 it was alleged the Stars would entertain offers for Ribeiro, whereas around the past trade deadline through to today the rumors have been the Stars are actively shopping him.
I'm losing it. Wow.

I was getting Robidas and Ribeiro mixed up.

Face palm here.

Old
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
________

Quote:
I'm losing it. Wow.

I was getting Robidas and Ribeiro mixed up.

Face palm here.
Well they're both French Canadians, former Montreal Canadians and with last names that start with the letter R.

Old
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Chad_

Either way, the rumor has been around for quite some time.

With respect to Ribeiro/Robidas, I just couldn't figure out what there was not to understand. Sure, you might not agree with the thinking involved, but it's pretty easy to comprehend.

You know what they say though. Those French Canadians all look alike.

Old
08-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Alistar

I really hope that Nieuwendyk doesn't sell low on Ribeiro. I've been able to justify most every move he's made so far, I know not all of them have been popular but giving away a proven top line ppg center for Shelden Souray would be a massive setback to this team and organization. If they're going to trade Ribeiro, I want atleast 2 young NHL ready forwards with top 6 potential, or their defenceman equivalents.

If all the other teams want to focus on his past and supposed character problems, of which we have heard nothing about during his time in Dallas, then keep him.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I really hope that Nieuwendyk doesn't sell low on Ribeiro. I've been able to justify most every move he's made so far, I know not all of them have been popular but giving away a proven top line ppg center for Shelden Souray would be a massive setback to this team and organization. If they're going to trade Ribeiro, I want atleast 2 young NHL ready forwards with top 6 potential, or their defenceman equivalents.
Ribeiro's value will not get any higher and if the reports out there are true there is no way they'll get a return like that. The only way to find out if they are true, is if he is dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
If all the other teams want to focus on his past and supposed character problems, of which we have heard nothing about during his time in Dallas, then keep him.
Actually he does, but with this being Dallas and not Montreal and such, nothing is getting leaked out about it. With the exception of the one game suspension, due to being "allegedly" late to a team meting which wasn't the reason he was suspended for that one game. Which being late to a meeting gives the perfect excuse, to the media.

There's far more to this situation then anyone knows, just like with why Modano is gone as well.

Strangis while on the Ticket last month made it sound like it's a good thing Modano isn't in the locker room anymore. Sturm mentioned about the Stars taking on a Highland Park type of atmosphere and Strangis never disagreed with it at all.
Is Highland Park some type of reality show or something?

I am very interested to hear what Razor or Stangis says on the Ticket after Ribeiro is gone if it is via trade or after his contract is up as either one will mention about some of Ribeiro's problems, far more then Heika said.

Anyway if Ribeiro's kept it could hinder the development of both Wandell and Benn who the Stars want playing center.

Last edited by ________: 08-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old
08-08-2010, 06:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Highland Park is one of the richest neighborhoods in Dallas.

So he wasn't late to that meeting? That whole thing made absolutely no sense at the time. Either Crawford was out of his mind with power or something else happened. A crucial player would never get benched for being 10 minutes late to a meeting...

Old
08-08-2010, 07:15 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
So he wasn't late to that meeting? That whole thing made absolutely no sense at the time. Either Crawford was out of his mind with power or something else happened. A crucial player would never get benched for being 10 minutes late to a meeting...
He probably was, but there are other problems that caused the suspension.

Old
08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
A local person in Bob Sturm who has some connections within the organization said the Stars would love to trade Mike Ribeiro and was trying to find out why Ribeiro didn't have trade value, he did mention specifically Souray's name.
I listen to The Ticket a lot, especially BaD Radio, so I feel like I can read Bob Sturm pretty well and I think you're putting too much into what he says. Sure, the show has traveled with the team, but he is far from being 'connected' in any meaningful way to the inner-workings of the organization. I can buy that he and Ralph are well acquainted, but I really don't buy that he has much more knowledge of personnel decisions than the average person. He also reads message boards (such as this) and rumor sites, so him 'specifically' mentioning Souray's name is more or less meaningless. It's more likely that he saw countless 'EDM/DAL' trade proposals on HF with some sort of linked tsn article than it is that he heard it 'from the inside.'

Quote:
I am very interested to hear what Razor or Stangis says on the Ticket after Ribeiro is gone if it is via trade or after his contract is up as either one will mention about some of Ribeiro's problems, far more then Heika said.
I definitely feel that our hockey journalism in DFW is wanting, but rumor-mongoring isn't the job of the local beat writer. I bag on Heika as much as anyone, but I don't fault him for doing his job; i.e. reporting on facts and not perpetuating rumors).

Quote:
Anyway if Ribeiro's kept it could hinder the development of both Wandell and Benn who the Stars want playing center.
Wandell shouldn't be projected higher than 3rd line center for the foreseeable future. Regardless, Ribeiro is a solid enough center that you don't trade him just to make room for the development of younger guys, one of which is a converted winger.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:47 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Wandell shouldn't be projected higher than 3rd line center for the foreseeable future. Regardless, Ribeiro is a solid enough center that you don't trade him just to make room for the development of younger guys, one of which is a converted winger.
While I don't agree with just trading Ribero to trade him logic. Wandell shouldn't just be the 4th line center no matter what. Playing with Barch isn't the situation for Wandell after a month or so. With the organization thinking Benn's spot is best at center it complicates everything.

As for regarding Sturm, if he's credible or not all the time I don't know, but he is a public source saying these things and he is connected more then the typical fan.

I don't know if they have the entire interview or not on that site, but when Strangis was on there they talked about a lot of stuff and when Strangis didn't deny a lot of the stuff what does it say?
Strangis pretty much ignored the actual parts on why Ribeiro didn't have the value he should have for a productive center. All he was saying is the Stars would like to get some value. As to all situations, there's no more it then people know. No I'm not basing anything off of this, but some people might to one way or another or draw their own conclusions.
It's something to talk about overall.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Chad_

Highland Park is also a high school, which would make more sense in the context provided and the limited knowledge of what went on during the Avery tenure.

Quote:
Yeah they would, if it's part of a larger issue or one meeting in a line of late showings. There have been several Dallas Cowboys who were fined for being less than 10 minutes late to meetings under Bill Parcells. It all really matters in the coach.

ADDED: By the way, you know how you can tell there's not anything to the Ribeiro for Souray talk? Souray is still in Edmonton and cleared waivers. That should tell anyone pushing that trade (Sturm for one) that it's not on the board, and it should tell others those who propagate that trade they might not be the insiders you think they are.

Last edited by Chad_: 08-08-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

This isn't football. You've been arguing the other side since it happened and you're looking more wrong than ever. Something else happened and the meeting thing was a front fed to the media. Hopefully we eventually find out what.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM
________

Quote:
ADDED: By the way, you know how you can tell there's not anything to the Ribeiro for Souray talk? Souray is still in Edmonton and cleared waivers. That should tell anyone pushing that trade (Sturm for one) that it's not on the board, and it should tell others those who propagate that trade they might not be the insiders you think they are.
No one knows it for sure. Maybe it's a last resort type of option, such as both teams are trying to find out if there's a better offer out there and pull the trigger at the last minute. There was a lot of smoke regarding it around the draft though, with the reports out of Edmonton as well. Until either player is traded it still could be a option and there's still plenty of time left before training camp. I don't want that trade to happen and usually when something leaks out like that it doesn't happen, so hopefully it does not happen.
Look at last year Heatley who asked for a trade in May(?) and was dealt a few days before training camp opened.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Chad_

Quote:
This isn't football. You've been arguing the other side since it happened and you're looking more wrong than ever. Something else happened and the meeting thing was a front fed to the media. Hopefully we eventually find out what.
I have never argued it's football. It's an example to show what you repeatedly say about being late to a meeting doesn't mean a suspension is wrong. It does not necessarily mean that will happen, but it does happen, contrary to your assertion above.

Further, I've never argued nothing else did happen, rather I've consistently countered your repeated contention meetings are not important or would have little bearing on discipline. They do and they should.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Chad_

Quote:
No one knows it for sure. Maybe it's a last resort type of option, such as both teams are trying to find out if there's a better offer out there and pull the trigger at the last minute. There was a lot of smoke regarding it around the draft though, with the reports out of Edmonton as well.
No, if there was any real smoke regarding this trade, Edmonton wouldn't have risked losing him for nothing. Souray has negative trade value given his trade request and salary.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM
________

Quote:
No, if there was any real smoke regarding this trade, Edmonton wouldn't have risked losing him for nothing. Souray has negative trade value given his trade request and salary.
Maybe the Oilers don't want to take back $5 million in salary and a extra year for a player who doesn't fit into the style they want to play . It's mentioned the Oilers want to cut salary so it makes sense to wait until the last minute.

I'm not arguing for the trade or anything just pointing out from the Oilers stance.