HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

New Reports

Old
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
New Reports

There have been complaints lately that the HF prospect rankings and reports were terribly out of date. Well, someone with a high position saw these, must be, because all of our prospect's page have been updated as of yesterday. Check them out.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I suppose my somewhat scathing review of the state of our prospect page fell upon ears of some kind. Kudos to the staff.

On a side note, if anybody is reading this, to whom should I report errors in content to? They're all fairly understandable mistakes. Boychuk's profile mentions many expecting him to compete for the "Calder Cup", as the NHL's top rookie, etc.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I suppose my somewhat scathing review of the state of our prospect page fell upon ears of some kind. Kudos to the staff.

On a side note, if anybody is reading this, to whom should I report errors in content to? They're all fairly understandable mistakes. Boychuk's profile mentions many expecting him to compete for the "Calder Cup", as the NHL's top rookie, etc.
Would it be Cory Lavalette (sp?) or does he not do the profiles? I'm sure if made aware he could have it fixed. Good call by the way, it's nice reading the updated profiles.

A little out of the loop, but while talking about the prospects, I've been reading and following your opinions and views regarding Boychuk on Canes Country, Vagrant, and I have to ask, does Boychuk really seem as bad in some areas (especially this early on in his career) that you're saying or believe he is? I'm trying to get a grasp and feel of Boychuk (as I didn't watch many Albany games) and from reading your views followed by others on Canes Country, it makes the view of Boychuk quite foggy for me.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Would it be Cory Lavalette (sp?) or does he not do the profiles? I'm sure if made aware he could have it fixed.

A little out of the loop, but while talking about the prospects, I've been reading and following your opinions and views regarding Boychuk on Canes Country, Vagrant, and I have to ask, does Boychuk really seem as bad in some areas (especially this early on in his career) that you're saying he is? I'm trying to get a grasp and feel of Boychuk (as I didn't watch many Albany games) and from reading your views followed by others on Canes Country, it makes the view of Boychuk quite foggy, for me.
Hey Guerzy, I actually do not post on Canes Country. I do visit the site, but mostly as a passive observer. This is the only board that I post on with any amount of frequency, to be honest.

In regards to Boychuk, there are a multitude of factors that make me concerned about his future. Obviously, I still respect his ability to turn the corner and develop down the line but last year was a bad year developmentally for him in my opinion. The book on Boychuk coming out was that he was a tenacious forechecker, played a surprisingly physical game for a player of his stature, and was utilized in a multitude of roles for Lethbridge as well as Hockey Canada. He was considered a player that had a modest ceiling but also a respectable floor.... which is another way of saying a safe and almost NHL ready prospect.

He reminds me a lot of Scottie Upshall. He made his bones at the WJC being a physical and aggressive jack of all trades despite being somewhat undersized. Was a strong scorer in Junior hockey but could never quite catch the rhythm in the NHL and only recently at 26 years old did he really put up some respectable NHL totals. Additionally, the perception of his draft year was somewhat skewed as a result of being an October birthday the same as Boychuk and was already more physically mature than his peers. The squat, small framed, but muscular players that are on the small side usually mature offensively quicker than the tall kids who have hand eye issues generally and that lanky awkwardness that goes away as the "man muscle" comes on at around 21-22 years of age.

Rutherford thinking that he was ready for NHL time right out of the teens in the draft was indicative of that line of thinking. I don't really see the Daniel Briere or Derek Roy skill set there for Boychuk. He just doesn't have that shiftiness in his skating that those guys have. I think last year he became too caught up in scoring and really abandoned his hard working reputation in favor of being more opportunistic in the scoring department. In other words, he went away from the style that really made him successful in the Junior and International ranks and for the first time in his career, people started looking at him sideways due to his work ethic.

My personal opinion is that he didn't take the AHL seriously enough, which is a fairly common problem with prospects that have a pedigree like Boychuk. I think that lead to a sense of complacency in his game that he didn't really shake until late last season when he started to get NHL results.

He also was VERY intimidated by playing even remotely physical at both levels last year which was also against his scouting report prior to turning professional. That tenacity will have to return in order for him to be as productive as he can be at either level. Because that timidity can spread over his entire game and make him more of a perimeter player when he's not skilled enough to play that style.

Boychuk is one of those guys where you can tell he's engaged by how much he's physically involved in the game. When he starts showing the willingness to get into the battle, take hits, make hits, and get back hard on the back check then good things are coming in the other end of the ice soon. I just didn't see enough of that engagement last year in either Albany or Carolina to make me comfortable about him being a slam dunk to make the team this year. I hope he shows up to camp ready to compete this year instead of having the spot ear marked for him, because the competition isn't getting any thinner.

Old
08-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Have you read Canes Country recently? If it's not you (as you say) then there is another user with your username. I'll paste the link here if you want to read whatever is being discussed there.

http://www.canescountry.com/2010/8/6...nswers-to-your

I respect your opinion regarding Boychuk, is just seems so night and day to that of some who seem to have watched him on a regular basis, from what I have read on Canes Country, anyway.

Old
08-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Have you read Canes Country recently? If it's not you (as you say) then there is another user with your username. I'll paste the link here if you want to read whatever is being discussed there.

http://www.canescountry.com/2010/8/6...nswers-to-your

I respect your opinion regarding Boychuk, is just seems so night and day to that of some who seem to have watched him on a regular basis, from what I have read on Canes Country, anyway.
As weird as it may sound, that appears to be a person using my forum handle and taking my posts here from HF and using them word for word on the site, and then using them out of context with his own observations mixed in. I wonder if there is any rule about that.

Old
08-07-2010, 04:11 PM
bleedgreen

I doubt I've seen as much as vagrant, but what I did see was shifty and creative. He just needs some time to see what works as a pro and what doesn't. I don't think I'd put Skinner ahead of him just yet as our top scoring prospect. Consistency and confidence, that's what he needs.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
after reading that, that's what I'd go with since I'm inclined to trust you Vagrant.

Also, Ennis is not brutal in his own end, no clue where Cory got that from. He's not a defensive stud like Sutter was as a prospect, or hell even Staal. But defense is not an issue for him, it's not like he's Filatov or something. You have to look at the two systems that the teams play. Ruff is FAR more offense oriented then Maurice, and that shows all the way down to how the AHL teams play. Put Ennis in our system and I doubt he'd look too terribly much different then Boychuk.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I doubt I've seen as much as vagrant, but what I did see was shifty and creative. He just needs some time to see what works as a pro and what doesn't. I don't think I'd put Skinner ahead of him just yet as our top scoring prospect. Consistency and confidence, that's what he needs.
That could very well be the case, which is why I still have him as among our Top 3 prospects, but he didn't overwhelm me with natural skill at either level to be honest.

The point regarding consistency made by Jeff Daniels to me was a subtle condemnation of his effort on a shift by shift basis. Tripp mentioned in a broadcast that the coaches of the Hurricanes were concerned about the same thing. It almost makes me want to sign up for the Canes Country website and defend my position because the poster that was impersonating me there took me totally out of context and did a terrible job of responding to legitimate questions surrounding my assertions about him.

But I will caution about Canes Country is that they have VERY few guys that watch prospects with the degree of attention to detail that many of our posters do. Which is evident by their evaluations of players like Pitkanen and the productivity of Brind'Amour.

This year is a big year for Boychuk regarding his standing with the organization. I think he needs to step forward if he's going to.

Old
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I think I'd put Boychuk ahead of Skinner as top overall prospect, but I'd definitely put Skinner as our top SCORING prospect.

Boychuk is shifty and creative, sure, but he currently projects as a 2nd line forward, and I cannot picture him ever scoring MORE than 30 goals at the NHL level, EVER. However, from the limited amount of highlights and scouting reports I've seen on Skinner, he could get 40 at some point, maybe on multiple occassions.

That being said, Boychuk is known as a sort of ping-pong ball, hitting everything in sight, and, while as stated earlier that he has wandered away from that game lately, he still certainly has it somewhere. He's got more than one-dimension than his goal-scoring ability, while I only see a nose for the back of the net in Skinner's game.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
after reading that, that's what I'd go with since I'm inclined to trust you Vagrant.

Also, Ennis is not brutal in his own end, no clue where Cory got that from. He's not a defensive stud like Sutter was as a prospect, or hell even Staal. But defense is not an issue for him, it's not like he's Filatov or something. You have to look at the two systems that the teams play. Ruff is FAR more offense oriented then Maurice, and that shows all the way down to how the AHL teams play. Put Ennis in our system and I doubt he'd look too terribly much different then Boychuk.
I am going to contact Canes Country to see what they can do about changing his username and status, etc. I don't know whether to be flattered or offended that somebody is lifting my posts here. I just hope that his terrible defense of my positions has not impacted the way some posters view my interactions here.

Old
08-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I just fired off an email to Bob Wage. Hopefully, with the mountain of evidence he can delete that user account.

Old
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

Quote:
I am going to contact Canes Country to see what they can do about changing his username and status, etc. I don't know whether to be flattered or offended that somebody is lifting my posts here. I just hope that his terrible defense of my positions has not impacted the way some posters view my interactions here.
I'm a regular over at Canes Country and I read here often although I don't post much. I'm glad this was brought up because I (like probably many others) assumed that the posts there were coming from the same Vagrant. You did the right thing by contacting Bob. I'm sure he'll figure out the best way to handle it.

jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 05:20 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

So who's next. Money says it's either going to be Bleedgreen or myself. I'd honestly be laughing if it wasn't so... strange. Almost like someone that didn't like Vagrant over here on HF and that has decided not to post here has decided to try to give people the wrong impression over there.

Old
08-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
So who's next. Money says it's either going to be Bleedgreen or myself. I'd honestly be laughing if it wasn't so... strange. Almost like someone that didn't like Vagrant over here on HF and that has decided not to post here has decided to try to give people the wrong impression over there.
Well that narrows the suspect list down a bit.

Not exactly a popular guy at times, but it's very strange and oddly enough not the first time that has happened to me. I used to frequent a video game discussion forum where it happened too, but this is the first time with Canes related posting obviously.

It's weird too because the guy took my posts and put odd little corrections in them to make them fit the discussion. You can clearly tell there are two "tones" to the writing. One being his and one being mine. When he stops talking as him and starts talking as me, it's a very abrupt shift now that I am reading through his posts.

Bob just shot me a quick response email and said that was certainly not allowed and he would look into it.

Old
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamie View Post
I'm a regular over at Canes Country and I read here often although I don't post much. I'm glad this was brought up because I (like probably many others) assumed that the posts there were coming from the same Vagrant. You did the right thing by contacting Bob. I'm sure he'll figure out the best way to handle it.
This is the only board that I post on under the handle "Vagrant". I post occasionally on TSB, or used to, under "Caniacforever", and also post on N&O blogs under "Caniacforever", but that is all. If you see it anywhere else, it's not me. I didn't really think that would be a problem to have to explain, but I suppose somebody wanted to either take credit for or totally discredit my posting.

Very odd. I would watch for some other alter ego posting like Dave alluded to. Unless this person just arbitrarily picked me.

Old
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
bleedgreen

That's quite an honor vagrant! I don't know Dave, its hard to fake my kind of grumpy about this team. Not to mention my lack of capital letters, today assisted by cellphone auto correction.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Someone on the official canes board has been using my name for a few years now. I could care less what goes on there, though, so it doesn't really matter.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Someone on the official canes board has been using my name for a few years now. I could care less what goes on there, though, so it doesn't really matter.
Yeah but do they plagiarize your posts? Seems so...odd.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Well that narrows the suspect list down a bit.

Not exactly a popular guy at times, but it's very strange and oddly enough not the first time that has happened to me. I used to frequent a video game discussion forum where it happened too, but this is the first time with Canes related posting obviously.

It's weird too because the guy took my posts and put odd little corrections in them to make them fit the discussion. You can clearly tell there are two "tones" to the writing. One being his and one being mine. When he stops talking as him and starts talking as me, it's a very abrupt shift now that I am reading through his posts.

Bob just shot me a quick response email and said that was certainly not allowed and he would look into it.
Yeah it's actually happened to me on a music site I post to quite often, before I became a mod on that site. Apparently I come across as a bit of a know-it-all and rather pretentious, especially on music as that's what my degree is in. I know, you can all read on once the shock wears off.

Seriously though, one person went as far as to try and imitate my rather verbose yet conversational posting style on the same board I was on. They went under the name "DaveGee" and used the same sig and avatar as I did. Oh how original. It made for about an hour of what I can now recall as being a set of rather hilarious back and forth. But when it happened I was understandably rather agitated.

Old
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Meh, don't sweat it. Many here know you well enough and your style that is seems pretty clear and evident that it isn't you. And in all honesty, whether people tend to agree with your opinions and views, you generally stick to your beliefs with a well thought out discussion, so to pretend it wasn't you because a couple people share different opinions is unlikely, in my opinion. His rebuttals are pretty flawed and just sort of out of left field anyway. You always tend to back your thoughts and opinions with logical explanations, and his/hers just seem a bit silly.

I would check into the user's name being changed, like you say. Me personally, I wouldn't want to see my identity, if you will (without sounding too goofy) used elsewhere, whether it be the N&O, LGC.com, Canes Country, etc. This is the one and only place I spend my time and for someone to create my handle elsewhere and make me look out of the loop, let alone take my posts and alter them in some fashion of their own will, I wouldn't be a big fan of that. I lurk elsewhere to see what's going on, but this is the only place I am registered.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Quote:
This is the only board that I post on under the handle "Vagrant". I post occasionally on TSB, or used to, under "Caniacforever", and also post on N&O blogs under "Caniacforever", but that is all. If you see it anywhere else, it's not me. I didn't really think that would be a problem to have to explain, but I suppose somebody wanted to either take credit for or totally discredit my posting.

Very odd. I would watch for some other alter ego posting like Dave alluded to. Unless this person just arbitrarily picked me.
I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was being that obvious... I will have to change a few more words next time I quote you. And you caught me on caniacforever to caniac4ever thing too. Darn my luck!!!

Ok, just kidding. I wouldn't do that kind of thing. I didn't know until now that you ever used the caniacforever name. I read the Canes Country board quite a bit and I hadn't even noticed a Vagrant posting on it. I don't blame you for being a bit freaked out about it. Good luck escaping your stalker/admirer/impersonator.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Given that half of the users on that board have been banned and the other half fled due to the horrible software, it's likely that no one has read those posts anyway.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I actually went on to register at Canes Country, which I had been meaning to do anyways, as "Caniacforever". So that account is actually me. Just getting that documented here.