HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

If Redden was waived... and then re-called...

Old
08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why would we re-call him?

****, we're hoping he refuses demotion so we can just void his contract
Is it possible for players to set this up with their team?

An example, Rangers tell Redden hes being waived and will have to play in the AHL, Redden says he would rather not play out the rest of his contract in the AHL and would want to be outright released so he can play for cheaper on another squad, but at least still be an NHL player. Rangers and Redden talk and agree that he will be sent down, Redden agrees to refuse to show up, and the contract is thrown out?

Redden then can field offers from other NHL teams. Is this scenerio possible? Using Redden as an example, I mean with any player.

I mean of course it would also come down to if the player wants his money, and would just play in the AHL and keep his larger paycheque, or have another shot at the NHL getting paid a lot less.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

"Come sign with the Rangers! We'll give you a large contract and you'll have no incentive to live up to it!"
That seems to be the NYR motto for awhile now. Sending Redden down will not prevent Sather from handing out another insane contract. NYR has been better on getting rid of these type of players recently.

In reference to the poster, in regards of cost of living. You do not pay an extra 3-4 million for a player to "offset the cost". You would overpay by 1 million if that is taken into account in signing that player

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder View Post
Deserved or undeserved foreign players, especially Russians, have always been treated differently and the Mogilny/Kasparitis situations and were more tolerated. I somewhat forget the specifics but wasn't there drama going on with these two anyway?

Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.
Devils already did that to Dan McGillis, and as pointed out, the Rangers did it to Brashear.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder View Post
Deserved or undeserved foreign players, especially Russians, have always been treated differently and the Mogilny/Kasparitis situations and were more tolerated. I somewhat forget the specifics but wasn't there drama going on with these two anyway?

Demoting a NA player to the AHL for purposes of burying his salary could be a slippery slope.
Biggest myth in all of hockey. NHLPA fought hard for guaranteed contracts, and they got them but while they get there money other risks come with them.

Big contracts are have risks for both party's, its a two way street. The team has the risk that they own that money no matter what. Players if they can't perform close to that level can price them selves out of a NHL job.

This is not pee-wee hockey both the players and teams are professionals. I can't stand when I here oh but its the teams fault cause they gave him the deal, but never put any blame on the player. Guess what the player signed the deal as well. Its both the team and player that can suffer from it.

As far as the NHLPA goes they would love for teams to do it its just more money overall for them. As far as players go they won't care one bit, they know the risks. Plus top end players always think they can succeed. Thats what makes them good is their drive and confidence in their abilities. Personally if a player was worried about not being able to play up to their contract, thats probably a good indication that he won't be able too and I would not want to sign him anyway.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Lukas Krajicek terminated his TB contract to become a free agent

Quote:
Defenseman Lukas Krajicek cleared unconditional waivers on Saturday and the Tampa Bay Lightning terminated his contract, meaning Krajicek is free to sign with any team in North America or Europe. And (update) he did indeed sign with the Flyers.

Krajicek, who had been demoted to AHL Norforlk in December, left the Admirals this week in what appears to have been an orchestrated scenario to free Krajicek of his contract and allow him to sign with another team. It also gets the Lightning off the hook for the rest of Krajicek's $1.475 million contract. Had Tampa Bay put him on recall waivers so another team could claim him, the Lightning would be stuck for half the remaining salary.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...lukas-krajicek

Krajicek signed with the Flyers right after his TB was mutually terminated

Would Redden walk away from $23 million?That is how much is left in actual dollars. $6.5,$6.5,$5 and $5.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
That seems to be the NYR motto for awhile now. Sending Redden down will not prevent Sather from handing out another insane contract. NYR has been better on getting rid of these type of players recently.

In reference to the poster, in regards of cost of living. You do not pay an extra 3-4 million for a player to "offset the cost". You would overpay by 1 million if that is taken into account in signing that player
And look how far that motto has gotten them. That's why I'm very happy to have Tortorella as coach. Is he a hothead? Yes. Does he do irrational things sometimes? Yes. Does he say some things that perhaps were better left unsaid? Yes. However, at the end of the day, he doesn't give a **** who you are, how much money you're making, what your connection to the organization is, etc. It's put up or shut up. No more veterans getting away with coasting and collecting their paychecks.

I'm not arguing that sending down Redden will prevent any further Sather **** ups. However, the idea that the Rangers should keep Redden on the roster simply because he's a veteran who has a large contract is absolutely ridiculous, and the idea that other players will be reluctant to sign here because Redden was demoted after 2 pathetic seasons is equally outrageous. Any player who thinks that Redden's attitude and performance is worthy of 6.5 million is not a player I want on my team.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Happyhary9

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
He'd have to reallllly want to be in the NHL to do that. I can't see the guy walking away from 23 million over the next 4 years even if they put him in the minors.
Well he can be in the NHL if he wants to be, so he has no reason to complain about being in the AHL if he wants his money. Redden will have nobody to blame but him self. He signed the deal and has not come close to holding up his end of the deal, which is pretty evident because not one team in the NHL will take him for free. If he wants his money he plays in the AHL, if he wants to be in the NHL, he refuses to play in the AHL voiding the contract. Then he can sign a deal wherever he wants.

The Rangers have to live up to their end of the deal whether they want to or not and that is they have to pay him his money.

Happyhary9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Lukas Krajicek terminated his TB contract to become a free agent

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...lukas-krajicek

Krajicek signed with the Flyers right after his TB was mutually terminated

Would Redden walk away from $23 million?That is how much is left in actual dollars. $6.5,$6.5,$5 and $5.

No he wouldn't. That is guaranteed 23 million, he knows he wouldnt get that from anybody else, it is not like Kraijeck left 23 million on the table.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
No he wouldn't. That is guaranteed 23 million, he knows he wouldnt get that from anybody else, it is not like Kraijeck left 23 million on the table.
No different than Huet and his 11.25 mil the next two years. If it was something similar to what they'd get elsewhere, they'd probably do it. But since both Huet and Redden wouldn't even get half of what they have now, they can't throw that away on pride. They got families that they're obligated to get as much money for as they possibly can because while it is hefty and he can live off it for the rest of his life, it will still run dry eventually.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Is it possible for players to set this up with their team?

An example, Rangers tell Redden hes being waived and will have to play in the AHL, Redden says he would rather not play out the rest of his contract in the AHL and would want to be outright released so he can play for cheaper on another squad, but at least still be an NHL player. Rangers and Redden talk and agree that he will be sent down, Redden agrees to refuse to show up, and the contract is thrown out?

Redden then can field offers from other NHL teams. Is this scenerio possible? Using Redden as an example, I mean with any player.

I mean of course it would also come down to if the player wants his money, and would just play in the AHL and keep his larger paycheque, or have another shot at the NHL getting paid a lot less.
There is no way that Redden walks away from 23 million dollars by refusing to play in the AHL. No one would do that.

One concern for the Rangers could be Redden's poisonous attitude on the members of the Rangers AHL team. He could be disgruntled having been buried in the AHL and a cancer in the dressing room and with the young prospects.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
There is no way that Redden walks away from 23 million dollars by refusing to play in the AHL. No one would do that.

One concern for the Rangers could be Redden's poisonous attitude on the members of the Rangers AHL team. He could be disgruntled having been buried in the AHL and a cancer in the dressing room and with the young prospects.
Demoted to the AHL, and being a healthy scratch IN the AHL, would prevent that. I think.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

My guess is that the Rangers waive him, but rather than send him to HFD, they arrange a loan to one of the more desirable European clubs. Something like SC Bern. That way he gets to live a more glamorous lifestyle than he would in HFD riding buses and staying in Motel 6s, gets to be one of the best players on one of the best teams in the 3rd or 4th best league in the world supported by a rabid fanbase, and live in a cosmopolitan city as a (very, very) well-paid professional.

He gets his $23MM and gets fairly good treatment (all things considered), while the Rangers clear $6.5MM in cap space and keep his potentially poisonous attitude away from their prospects. Best-case, he plays in Europe for two years and when the current CBA expires he can be an amnesty buyout and sign a last, low-cost contract somewhere back in the NHL to finish up as a grizzled vet on the third pair of a young team. Worst-case, he plays there for four years and probably finishes his career there quietly.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Paper

While the likelyhood of the Rangers recalling him if he was buried is slim, I would say it's pretty certain at least one team would take a chance on him.

A bit overlooked but Redden has a slightly front loaded contract; if he was claimed on recall waivers his cap hit would be 3.25M for the next 4 but with a salary of 3.25M for the first 2 years and 'only' 2.5M for the last 2 for the team claiming him. That's not a horrible deal for Redden, still not great but probably worth the risk hoping he can regain some form.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
airlouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
He'd have to reallllly want to be in the NHL to do that. I can't see the guy walking away from 23 million over the next 4 years even if they put him in the minors.

Someone with honor will do it. Like a Samurai

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
NYRbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Isn't there a rule where you can only demote a player under a 1-way contract for only 1 of the years of that contract?

(I could be wrong)

If so, what does demoting Redden for 1 year really accomplish? Not to mention, that even if I am wrong about that "1 year only" thing, the reputation of your team is going to take a huge hit in the NHLPA and it WILL hamper your team's ability come free agency time.
Who wouldn't want to be a millionaire in NYC.. sounds like a terrible life

NYRbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
airlouche

Can he be demoted to ECHL if he's not good enough for AHL? ( No joke)

Old
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
BillR10

Would someone claim him on re entry waivers? Yes
Would the rangers ever consider putting him on re entry waiver? No

Rangers are one of the few teams that can afford to bury a 6 mil contract in the minors and still afford to spend to the cap.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
airlouche

Is there a maximum of salary you can bury in AHL?
It's not very serious because richest teams can bury 20-25 millions of bad contract if they want.

Old
08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Is there a maximum of salary you can bury in AHL?
It's not very serious because richest teams can bury 20-25 millions of bad contract if they want.
If you owned that team would you bury 20-25 million?

CRDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
If you owned that team would you bury 20-25 million?
I have a feeling that Jimmy Dolan would have no qualms with eating $20 million total after paying Stephon Marbury on the Knicks $20 million PER SEASON to not play.

From a personal standpoint, I'm just waiting on what day I can mark on the calendar for the future as "Wade Redden Emancipation Day".

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
I am sorry but that is a load of bull. Those guys salary without the massive overpayment by the Rangers would still be enough to lie comfortably in NYC.
...but who would pay for the jacuzzi you smart ass...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Schweiker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
Can he be demoted to ECHL if he's not good enough for AHL? ( No joke)
im pretty sure with a one way contract that you can only be demoted to the ahl, although most wish otherwise

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:30 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I know his contract is a beast, but is he that bad of a d-man.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post

I agree, its just a crapload of money, it was more hypothetical than anything. The only downside is that means Reddens NHL career is most likely over, as opposed to getting to be a UFA and being paid a lot less, but still being in the show. The money would supercede that though probably.

My biggest guess would be the Europe route is what will happen, just a complete guess though.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:41 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
To be fair its likely the living costs. I would love to move to NYC, but not unless someone raise my salary by about 20% to off-set the high living cost.

You can't talk living costs when you, I, and the next guy are in the wage realm of 30-60k per year. Living costs are (better read: "should") be but a small dent in a professional sport's players' annual salary.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote