HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Fan Beer Thread

Old
08-07-2010, 03:54 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
Moosehead or Keiths Pale Ale for me!
Attached Images
File Type: gif moosehead-lager.gif‎ (84.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3565372384_295e2ae8bc.jpg‎ (170.0 KB, 2 views)

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:58 AM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Moosehead or Keiths Pale Ale for me!
Speaking of Moose....

Moose Drool Brown Ale.... by far the most unique tasting beer I have ever had. Extremely thick, smooth, subtly sweet and almost nutty flavor. Good stuff.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Flyerfan808

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Guiness
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (lots of others that might be better, but this one is cheapish, good, and easy to find)
Chimay
Rogue Mocha Porter
Kona Longboard
PBR

+1 to Belgian Beer

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:45 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 174
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I don't care what anyone says, Golden Anniversary beer is the worse beer ever made.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The best thing about the fall. Anything from Victory (another local) is a safe bet as well.
Victory Hop Devil is almost on par with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale... As usual, always best on tap. IMO.

While Pale Ales are my favorite I have lately gotten into the Wheat beers with a big juicy orange slice... Blue Moon is big around here lately and found on many taps; great for the summer. I am a huge Microbrew fan and usually detest Macrobrews... the Bud/Miller/Coors of the world... but on Fridays at PJ Whelihan's they have a $2.75 a pint special on Shock Top -- I have no idea why that name on a lighter type beer???? -- and without knowing it was a Michelob product I started on it. It is a Wheat served with an orange slice like Blue Moon... I enjoyed it, although not a good as BM in my book... I later Googled it to find it was put out by Bud under the Michelob brand. Could it be that the AB takeover by that Euro company and the expansion of their type beers has actually has a positive effect?

I am a firm believe that the least of the Microbrews, fresh on tap, is better than the best Macrobrews... Fresh, quality ingredients brewed by caring people -- as Microbrews most always are, as they are not in it for the 'money' -- always trumps the mass-market beer, IMO... The exceptions are the quality high output Micros such as Sierra Nevada and Boston Brewery/Samuel Adams, etc. who pull it off while going country-wide and high output. Yuengling for the most part in a somewhat local product gives great bang for the buck IMO... While I am not a fan of their signature Lager -- not being a lager fan, more an ale person -- I thoroughly enjoy their Black and Tan. It is extremely affordable and a great beer when I having many... such as at a party or BBQ. It is inexpensive and far better than the usual beer at that price range. BTW; Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best lager out there, IMO, and especially on draught and with food.

Microbrews at a microbrewery/restaurant are pretty much a can't miss proposition, IMO, with very few exceptions. You can taste the attention and quality ingredients that are there. At times the personal style is not quite yours, but they are still better than most mass-market beers at on most taps. I love to sample various micros and styles and quality beers from various countries... there are so many good ones out there; I'll never understand how some people can stick with the same old, same old time and time again... but I respect their right to do so and never out them down for it.

Good thread, great topic... glad I found it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Does nobody drink stouts? Guinness is garbage.

You want a real beer:
Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is great

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is amazing and goes great with desert and meat

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Smith's Oatmeal Stout is fantastic... Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout is outstanding also. It is, or at least was, seasonal though.

EDIT: Back when Red Bell Brewery first opened at the then Core States -- or was it First Union? -- Center they had a quality Black Cherry Stout that I enjoyed... especially in that period where there were no quality beers to be found in the Arena... As time went on the beer became quite different from batch to batch; sometimes hitting a good one and then again hitting an awful one... It got to a point where there hardly were any good batches, and then the Red Bell closed down... It was a shame since they put so much time, energy and expense into the place, and the idea IMO was a great one. I think they just didn't have the proper people running/owning it and didn't have the dedication to the product... IMO, it was more a money maker to them and less a love of the art of brewing beer. You can't fool the public for very long.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
My beer used to be made from the tears of visiting fans. Now, it seems my beer is made with mostly mine.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Komarov47

Guinness all the way ! But here some of my fave one :

Kriek (Belgium beer)
Leiffe (French beer)
Wells & Young's

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Cleary84

I had one of these a few weeks ago and fell in love. Not sure if it's out of season though. The distrib didn't have any.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
While Pale Ales are my favorite I have lately gotten into the Wheat beers with a big juicy orange slice... Blue Moon is big around here lately and found on many taps; great for the summer. I am a huge Microbrew fan and usually detest Macrobrews... the Bud/Miller/Coors of the world... but on Fridays at PJ Whelihan's they have a $2.75 a pint special on Shock Top -- I have no idea why that name on a lighter type beer???? -- and without knowing it was a Michelob product I started on it. It is a Wheat served with an orange slice like Blue Moon... I enjoyed it, although not a good as BM in my book... I later Googled it to find it was put out by Bud under the Michelob brand. Could it be that the AB takeover by that Euro company and the expansion of their type beers has actually has a positive effect?

I am a firm believe that the least of the Microbrews, fresh on tap, is better than the best Macrobrews... Fresh, quality ingredients brewed by caring people -- as Microbrews most always are, as they are not in it for the 'money' -- always trumps the mass-market beer, IMO... The exceptions are the quality high output Micros such as Sierra Nevada and Boston Brewery/Samuel Adams, etc. who pull it off while going country-wide and high output. Yuengling for the most part in a somewhat local product gives great bang for the buck IMO... While I am not a fan of their signature Lager -- not being a lager fan, more an ale person -- I thoroughly enjoy their Black and Tan. It is extremely affordable and a great beer when I having many... such as at a party or BBQ. It is inexpensive and far better than the usual beer at that price range. BTW; Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the best lager out there, IMO, and especially on draught and with food.

Microbrews at a microbrewery/restaurant are pretty much a can't miss proposition, IMO, with very few exceptions. You can taste the attention and quality ingredients that are there. At times the personal style is not quite yours, but they are still better than most mass-market beers at on most taps. I love to sample various micros and styles and quality beers from various countries... there are so many good ones out there; I'll never understand how some people can stick with the same old, same old time and time again... but I respect their right to do so and never out them down for it.

Good thread, great topic... glad I found it.
As some have mentioned with the Blue Moon, you should try Hoegaarden with an orange slice... it is miles better than Blue Moon, though a bit more money. As far as domestics go, Michelob is my favorite. Shock Top is a pretty good beer for the price. I discovered Michelob Amber Bock at a Flyers game (the game where we slaughtered Toronto in our WC jerseys and Briere hit his 500th point and Carcillo scored one of the prettiest goals I have ever seen). Anyway, me and my friend went to the Wach early to get some beers before the game and they had this deal where all domestics were $4 or $5 before 5:00 so we asked what their best domestic was and the bartender gave us Michelob Amber Bock and I have to say that it was thoroughly good. So out of all mass-produced domestics, Michelob actually makes some good stuff. We got there at around 4:30 and managed to get 2 $5 Michelobs each before 5:00 when we switched over to Hoegaarden. Yuengling is also a great domestic, and their Black and Tan happens to be one of my favorite beers as well. When the average 6 pack in NY is $9 dollars and i can pick up one for around $6 that tastes as good as Yuengling B&T does, it's not even a question.

I also agree with your points on microbrews. Much more thought and care is put into a batch of beer when you have people that actually mix the mash themselves without automated machines being programmed to do it. My absolute favorite restaurants are the ones that brew their own beer, especially the ones that let you sample everything they have.

You have very good taste in beer, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, I thought it would be hit or miss, I'm glad it was the former.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
As some have mentioned with the Blue Moon, you should try Hoegaarden with an orange slice... it is miles better than Blue Moon, though a bit more money. As far as domestics go, Michelob is my favorite. Shock Top is a pretty good beer for the price. I discovered Michelob Amber Bock at a Flyers game (the game where we slaughtered Toronto in our WC jerseys and Briere hit his 500th point and Carcillo scored one of the prettiest goals I have ever seen). Anyway, me and my friend went to the Wach early to get some beers before the game and they had this deal where all domestics were $4 or $5 before 5:00 so we asked what their best domestic was and the bartender gave us Michelob Amber Bock and I have to say that it was thoroughly good. So out of all mass-produced domestics, Michelob actually makes some good stuff. We got there at around 4:30 and managed to get 2 $5 Michelobs each before 5:00 when we switched over to Hoegaarden. Yuengling is also a great domestic, and their Black and Tan happens to be one of my favorite beers as well. When the average 6 pack in NY is $9 dollars and i can pick up one for around $6 that tastes as good as Yuengling B&T does, it's not even a question.

I also agree with your points on microbrews. Much more thought and care is put into a batch of beer when you have people that actually mix the mash themselves without automated machines being programmed to do it. My absolute favorite restaurants are the ones that brew their own beer, especially the ones that let you sample everything they have.

You have very good taste in beer, my friend. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, I thought it would be hit or miss, I'm glad it was the former.
I was taking a shine to your taste also... And I agree that Yuengling Black and Tan gives the best bang for the buck that I ever saw... The twelve packs, bottles or can, are a steal. Walk into a party or picnic with some of those big boys and you not only look good, but you have more money to splurge on the over priced Microbrews on other occasions... Plus I find that I can drink them all day long; to me it is the perfect party beer. I also find them as bargains at places like Fuddruckers where they are slightly more than their soft drinks.

I am usually long winded... But I can really go on and on about beer.

... And I will have to try Hoegaarden; thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
reverend duder

great thread, been a beer "snob" and home brewer for years now. i live on the west coast so i get different brews out here.

some of my favs:

deschutes, bend oregon-my favorite american brewery a great portfolio of beers, with mirror pond pale ale and twilight summer seasonal ale being their best, and the black butte porter is where its at

oskar blues, lyons, co-their old chub scottish ale will knock your ass on the ground right quick and has a slight taste of smokey bacon...mmmmm bacon.....

tustin brewing, tustin, ca-their blonde won last years gold medal at the great american beer fest, damn good beer

craftsman, pasadena, ca-some really nice beers including there 1903, which is their ode to lagers of the early 1900's

victory, downingtown, pa-the homeland.....they have a prima pils that is pretty smooth drinkin and evil monkey

some of my favorite belgians -no hoegarrden or blue moon! any philly peep that likes belgian beer should go to monks cafe on 16th and spruce, GREAT belgian selection. im in philly for one night in august and i will be spending that night at monks cafe.

achel-the only bottled beer where the monks still work the brewey. hard to find but well worth the effort. try any you can, the extra if they got it

chouffe-a newer brewery as belgians go, but delicious

monks--flemish sour ale, if you never had a sour ale, give it a try. once you past the initial "weird" first couple of sips it becomes very interesting and very enjoyable

the best beers however are reverend duder beers. the rev has right now german hefe, double abbey, english bitter, golden belgian, saison, and a dirty blonde. those are for peeps that come over for flyers games!

GO FLYERS!!!

reverend duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Im 20 years old. A very responsible adult.

I have never been drunk in my life, but thats because am not a big fan of alcohol.

That being said, I do like the taste of a good beer and have been able to taste a few beers here and there. I can honestly say the only one that does anything for me is Yuengling.

I LOVE the taste of it. Also, honorable mention to Landshark when sitting on the beach, or just a hot day.

But I turn 21 in a few months, and will surely be trying more of these. I here Golden Monkey is great, but after about 2 beers you can get EASILY hammered, especially if you are like me and have built almost no tolerance to alcohol.

But beer is delicious (had to throw that in).

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Im 20 years old. A very responsible adult.

I have never been drunk in my life, but thats because am not a big fan of alcohol.

That being said, I do like the taste of a good beer and have been able to taste a few beers here and there. I can honestly say the only one that does anything for me is Yuengling.

I LOVE the taste of it. Also, honorable mention to Landshark when sitting on the beach, or just a hot day.

But I turn 21 in a few months, and will surely be trying more of these. I here Golden Monkey is great, but after about 2 beers you can get EASILY hammered, especially if you are like me and have built almost no tolerance to alcohol.

But beer is delicious (had to throw that in).
I find this post extremely confusing. You have never been drunk in your life, but "beer is delicious."

Does not compute.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I find this post extremely confusing. You have never been drunk in your life, but "beer is delicious."

Does not compute.

That's what liquor is for. Beer is for drinking. Liquor is for gettin drunk.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:45 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:

Does not compute.
HAHAHAHAHA

Just because I havent been drunk, does not mean I havent had a beer before.

I just dont OVERindulge to the point where I cant remember anything.

I do get a nice buzz on though, however.

Old
08-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
That's what liquor is for. Beer is for drinking. Liquor is for gettin drunk.
You're just declaring yourself as a beer neophyte here (no offense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
HAHAHAHAHA

Just because I havent been drunk, does not mean I havent had a beer before.

I just dont OVERindulge to the point where I cant remember anything.

I do get a nice buzz on though, however.
Well, see, that's being drunk.

I will also say that when I was 20 I was a big fan of Yuengling... and still am. However, Yuengling is a very very low rung on the ladders of beer that exist in the world. Get out there, get drunk. Philly is one of the best beer cities in the world, and Yuengling has a tough time competing if you're willing to spend a lil.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:09 AM
puzzle

Stella Artois for me. As for the cheap beer, Coors light....but here in Quebec, there aren't really cheap beers because of the price fixed by the government. Coors light is the cheapest ($21,32 for a 24 pack).

puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:13 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
Stella Artois for me. As for the cheap beer, Coors light....but here in Quebec, there aren't really cheap beers because of the price fixed by the government. Coors light is the cheapest ($21,32 for a 24 pack).
At least Stella is Belguim.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

In the Mid-Nineties while on vacation in Paris I fell for a French beer called Adelscott which I found on draught in many good Cafes. It was brewed with Scottish Whisky Malt and had a distinct Scotch flavor, as well as a smokey one... although I am not a Scotch nor any other kind of whisky drinker I enjoyed it and ordered it whenever possible... After returning home I only found it in one beer distributor in Alexandria Va., now no longer in business, and at that time had discontinued carrying it. That was in 1996.

Last spring while on vacation in Rome I stumbled on it again on our last evening in the refrigerated compartment of a shop near the Trevi Fountain -- beer is sold like soda in the stores and people buy it and drink it while strolling or sitting by a tourist trap -- I couldn't believe it and bought a bottle to drink at the Trevi Fountain at sunset... I was thrilled and enjoyed it as the Mrs. watched them photograph a beautiful Italian bride and handsome groom who had had their earlier wedding blessed by the Pope in a grand mass that day; all the couples wore their wedding gowns and tuxes... It was a great night as we topped it off with Gelato and tossed our coins in.

Beer can help make memories... or at least grease the skids and supplement the memory... Those are the only three times I had Adelscott. If anyone finds it I strongly suggest that you give it a try.

The late beer expert, Michael Jackson, wrote this about it at beerhunter.com :

Quote:
"A slightly more serious speciality has been Adelscott, a copper-coloured lager made with a proportion of Scottish whisky malt (6.4 per cent alcohol by volume). I have always found this an enjoyably malty beer, though very subtle in its supposedly-peated whisky-malt character. It has nonetheless inspired enough imitators in other countries to constitute a sub-category among smoked beers."
]http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000022.html

I keep on looking for it but haven't found it locally yet... Even in that great beer and wine distributor next to the Cherry Hill Mall -- Total Wine & More??? -- that has just about every odd beer doesn't carry it.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
Yea, Canadian lawmakers should be shot... They tax the hell out of beer. Most places outside the US the beer is as cheap as the soft drinks... at times even cheaper that Coke and Pepsi which are imports or priced as such even if bottled locally... But with Canada it is better to bring in your own beer, even if it is Canadian imports bought in the US, to avoid the tax, as I see it.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Thransplant

IMO, if you like beer, anything from Southern Tier is worth tracking down.

Thransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:36 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
You're just declaring yourself as a beer neophyte here (no offense).
None taken. Really depends on what I'm trying to do. I'm a whiskey man before a beer man. No shame in it.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

When out and about, it used to be Killians, Grolsch or Bass. Gave up Grolsch after it was bought out.
Now, I'm more of a Blue Moon, Harpoon, Legend Pale Ale person when out. My fall back is almost any Sam Adams.
At home, there are always at least 12 bottles of some flavor from Molson in the fridge. Never cans. And I've liked every Molson I've tried, from the basics like Golden Ale to XXX. Yeah, even Ice.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:55 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Well, see, that's being drunk.

I will also say that when I was 20 I was a big fan of Yuengling... and still am. However, Yuengling is a very very low rung on the ladders of beer that exist in the world. Get out there, get drunk. Philly is one of the best beer cities in the world, and Yuengling has a tough time competing if you're willing to spend a lil.
Believe me, im sure Yuengling isnt the creme de la creme of beers in the area.

I plan on going to that Beer Week Festival type thing they have every year in Philly. Should be a good time.