HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Boston-Edmonton Blackout

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
bigjfnd

vCash: 500
Boston-Edmonton Blackout

Just saw a thing on TSN about the most memorable stadium malfunctions. Anyway, one of them was the lights going out in Boston Gardens during the finals in I think it was '90. They cancelled the game and replayed it in Edmonton. I remember at the time, I was like 12 or 13 and was going for Boston and was pissed that they didn't replay the game in Boston, but I can't remember now why they didn't play it in Boston. Was the Garden already booked or something? Anyone remember?

Old
04-12-2005, 06:48 PM
se7en*

It was in '88. Game 3 was tied 3-3 when a power blackout plunged Boston Garden into darkness. After some time they announced Game '4' & 6 would be played in Edmonton, 5 & 7 in Boston. It was the first time since 1919 that a Finals game had to be cancelled.

In the 1990 finals the power went out again in Game 1 in Boston, but they managed to fix it that time.

Old
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 3227
It was Game 4 of the 1988 Finals. Edmonton was up 3-0 in games and the 4th game was tied at 3-3 at the time of cancellation. The next game was Game 5, scheduled for Edmonton, so the teams played there except it became "Game 4, part 2." Edmonton won in a 4-0 sweep. I had the privilege of attending the power failure game -- kept the stub, too.

Anyway, here is a summary that goes into detail:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...nley_cup/1988/

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-13-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old
04-13-2005, 01:57 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
It was Game 4 of the 1988 Finals. Edmonton was up 3-0 in games and the 4th game was tied at 3-3 at the time of cancellation. The next game was Game 5, scheduled for Edmonton, so the teams played there except it became "Game 4, part 2." Edmonton won in a 4-0 sweep. I had the privilege of attending the power failure game -- kept the stub, too.

Anyway, here is a summary that goes into detail:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...nley_cup/1988/
Does anyone remember if the players were given statistical credit for that game? Official goals, assists, etc.?

Old
04-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Does anyone remember if the players were given statistical credit for that game? Official goals, assists, etc.?
I remember reading in a book somewhere that they were given credit.

Ah, I just looked it up on HockeyDB, it is true. With the original Game 4 not counting, the Oilers only played 18 official games that playoffs (5 Winnipeg, 4 Calgary, 5 Detroit, 4 Boston). However, the players are credited with 19 games played, and so I infer that their statistics for the original Game 4 do count.

Old
04-13-2005, 07:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 3227
Here is some info I found from various newspapers I kept from the time for Game 4 of the 1988 Finals

Individual stats from the postponed game did count.

Game 4 goals: 1st period -- Anderson, Tikkanen (pp); Hawgood
2nd period -- Wesley (6:12 shorthhanded); Wesley (7:37 powerplay); Simpson (pp)

Simpson's game-tying goal came 16:37 into the second period; the power failure occurred prior to the center-ice faceoff. The Boston Herald reported "At 9:32 pm, moments after Craig Simpson scored to tie the game 3-3, a 4,000 volt switch overloaded on a transformer outside the building, which in turn tripped another switch and shut down the main power in a Boston & Maine Railroad power plant that supplies most of the Garden's power." Simpson was called for holding at 14:15; Keith Crowder of Boston was called for holding at 15:10 -- so I assume Simpson just came back on the ice when the goal was scored and netted a PPG.

Time of day varied from newspaper accounts: 9:31 pm, 9:32 pm or 9:33 pm.

At 10:07 pm, power was restored but the fans had evacuated the building so play could not have continued.

The NHL considered completing the game the following afternoon (the Celtics-Pistons Game 1 was that night) but NHL bylaw 27-12 said "If for any cause beyond the control of the clubs a playoff game should be unfinished, such game shall be replayed in its entirety at the end of the series, if necessary, and it shall be played in the rink in which the unfinished game occurred."

The decision was made by John Ziegler, Edmonton owner Peter Pocklington, Bruins President Bill Hassert, GM's Sinden/Sather and Bruins coach Terry O'Reilly.

Revised schedule for the remainder of the series if it went the distance: Game 4 at Edmonton (5/26); Game 5 at Boston (5/28); Game 6 at Edmonton (5/30); Game 7 (replay of postponed game) at Boston June 2.

Also, Boston's series opener in Montreal in 1988 also had a blackout.

In Game 1 of the 1990 Finals:
At 12:33 am, a few lights went out midway through the second overtime. It was nothing like the situation in 1988. Building maintenance estimated these lights were on for about 15 hours and a 20-minute cooling period was needed. At that point play was resumed.

Petr Klima scored the game-winner in the 3rd OT at 1:23 in the morning. The game was 5 hours and 32 long; 115:13 of hockey time. In Edmonton's 3-2 win, Ray Bourque scored Boston's two goals, both assisted by Cam Neely and Greg Hawgood, and the second came with 1:29 left in the third period.

Old
04-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Turns out Sinden was jusdt too cheap to pay the electrical bill.

Closed Thread