HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan the next Stastny??

Old
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Schweiker17

vCash: 500
if only...

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Hes bigger and a better skater too.

I love Steps, but hes no Seguin.
Definitely not on his level, just that he's of the same mold, these "new-era" centers that all seem to be likened to Yzerman... as far as offensive style goes, I'd say Stastny and Stepan are identical.. Ribeiro is another (strictly offensively speaking). Thought somebody's M. Richards comparison was apt, but Stepan is a REAL leader, while Richards is very Roenick-ish.

Last edited by BobMarleyNYR: 08-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.
BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I've thought Janney. At his best, Janney was a pretty good player.

Stasny is a bit of an enigma to me. He's a very good player but seems to have a problem elevating his game on the big stage. He was ordinary when I watched him in the Olympics and in the playoffs. I've got a feeling Stepan is going to be a lot better big game player. I hope he gets lots of chances to prove me right.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
OK Okposo

If I have learned anything as an Islander fan, its this: Dont count your eggs before they hatch.

(That being said Stepan was a beast at the WJC, blue chipper)

OK Okposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

why dont we see him at a professional level before we start comparing him to anyone

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:53 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Stastny had a nice NCAA career and came to the NHL skating after Joe Sakic.

Pavelski also suits up after jumbo joe and had a decent NCAA career.

Stepan will have no such "insurance" and if he comes out of the gate with guns blazing will quickly get the oppositions main shut down guys. Its tough enough to play hockey in the NHL, but then to play versus the other guys Selke nominee is even harder.

I think all ranger fans hope this guy is lightning in a bottle, but lets hope he isn't rushed

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Mike Eaves compared Stepan to Pavelski who started his college career as a 20 year old freshman.

Eaves compared McDonagh to Mark Stuart of the Bruins. Eaves coached Stuart at the US national development program(NTDP).

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:33 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Stastny had a nice NCAA career and came to the NHL skating after Joe Sakic.

Pavelski also suits up after jumbo joe and had a decent NCAA career.

Stepan will have no such "insurance" and if he comes out of the gate with guns blazing will quickly get the oppositions main shut down guys. Its tough enough to play hockey in the NHL, but then to play versus the other guys Selke nominee is even harder.

I think all ranger fans hope this guy is lightning in a bottle, but lets hope he isn't rushed
Interesting post.. I do agree... It seems most prospects who are rushed to the NHL hurt their development ... Well.. besides the superstars like Crosby, Ovechkin and etc who are freaks who are stars almost immediately.

Prospects like Stepan need to be brought in and be surrounded by other talent. The Rangers do have some good veteran centers that he can learn from... EC, Drury, White, possibly Prospal and Dubinsky so Stepan probably wont be thrown in the #1 center spot.

But hey.. if Stepan is the next Janney, Oates or Stastny then thrown him on the first line center!! He will have Gaborik on his line so no problem... Wow.. I just contradicted myself.... I have no idea now what to do with Stepan... LOL

Maybe.. just let him play at the AHL level for a season and see what he can do at the Pro level first...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Barnaby

Too many people don't get it... "Why waste time on EC when we can give Stepan the job? Let him learn"

If Stepan comes flying out of the gate --- great... but most likely the kid needs a good full year of professional hockey to adjust and learn... There is really no rush - we aren't going anywhere anyway..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I think this is a pretty good comparison. I like to think Stepan would be to us as Mike Richards is to Philly.
I think Richards is a pretty good example of what Stepan can develop into for the Rangers. He was definately a leader on that World Jr club, and his game when he turns up the physical aspect was very much indeed Richards-like.

Surprised that now two people have mentioned his skating ability or lack thereof. I thought Stepan is a damn good skater, and he used his speed well in that tourney. In Wisconsin I didn't really get to see too muh other than that one or two games on Fox but in that whole world Jr tourney he looks to be as goos a skater as anyone he played with or against cept for maybe Kreider....And Fowler too.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Similar size, scouting reports, and drafted in very similar numbers

44th for Stastny
51st for Stepan

Similar college numbers it just makes me think that Stepan could make the jump much like stastny did at 20.

They are both high in hockey IQ and not gifted skaters but great passers.

Stastny is only 6' 204 according to nhl.com

Stepan is 6' 187, and in an interview with sather back in mid july "Stepan looks physically mature"

I'm sure Stastny was no bigger than that when he entered the league and managed 78 points. Not that Stepan could repeat that, but I wonder what his rookie year would be like with Frolov on the left a 30 goal man, and Gaborik on the right essentially at some point a 50 goal man...

Thoughts?
Marián Stastny?

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:42 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Too many people don't get it... "Why waste time on EC when we can give Stepan the job? Let him learn"

If Stepan comes flying out of the gate --- great... but most likely the kid needs a good full year of professional hockey to adjust and learn... There is really no rush - we aren't going anywhere anyway..
EC definately has some skill.. Last year he showed some real chemistry with
Gaborik on the first line. If he gets 55-65 points he would be a valuable
player. He is still young 26 years old with time to get better, good size and good skill.. he could be one of those rare gems picked up on waivers that just
needed to gain his confidence.. I think EC did enough last year to at least see what
he can do for a full year.

Or.. EC he could bust... and Stepan has a year of AHL development and then onto
the NHL in a year or so..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
JimmyStart*

Think he might need this year to get acclimated to the differences between college and NHL while sharpening some of his skills with better players. But if he proves he's ready for this level he will take a spot from EC, prospal,m Avery, or someone else. If he does than it will be very very interesting to see how he plays.

Between him and Anisimov if one clicks with gab or Frolov obviously that's a recipe for success.

If we had neither Gabs nor Frolov I'd say "Well we have NO talent really so who cares he'll grow this year like all rook's or go to the AHL." With gabs and Frolov it's interesting to say the least. If I had to guess I'd guess on about what A.A did last year.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Stastny has a Pedgree that Stepan doesn't. After the WJC I don't know what Stepan's ceiling is. I think he's got solid potention to be a 2/3 pivot but I don't have a need to rush him nor am I going to be overly hopeful.

Again, lofty expectations can lead to great disappointment as in the case of Gilroy. How many people thought he was going to be lights out and now want to see him gone?

I'd rather let the kid develop and end up with a solid player like a Callahan or Dubinsky and I'm happy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:36 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

So far managment has shown the willingness to let our prospects gain experience in the AHL for the better part of a season before letting them earn a spot on the big club.

Cally
Dubi
Tyutin
Girardi
AA

The 2 exceptions were:

Staal who was sent back to Captain his team in Sudbury then played 6 playoff games in HFD before the next preseason when it was obvious he was NHL ready and even then it was 3mos or so till he got top pair minutes by just wowing everyone with his poise on the puck and slick skating/positioning.

And MDZ who wasnt eligable for the AHL and obviously wouldnt benefit going back to London.

Stepan and McD will have to WOW everyone if they are to be on the big stage much past the 1st handful of games.

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:26 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

an 80 game schedule is a bear and a lot to ask a young player. Artem did it after a season in the A and at times looked lost out on the ice and absorbed some major hits.

If I had the choice, I would have Stepan stay in school, or having signed a deal have him know that he should go the AHL for a season to learn the "ropes".

Then to add the teaser, "if you come to camp and absolutely dominate you could start the season in Gotham."

then the proviso "if later you cool off you can expect to see top line ice time in the AHL"

sign here kid ....

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
bscharf

are we really comparing this kid to nhl allstars without playing a game...

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:13 PM
pwoz

Stepan had a great year in college and a great WJC showing, and I hope he becomes the next Thornton, but we gotta be patient. He needs at least one year in the AHL playing top-line minutes.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Jimmy Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Similar size, scouting reports, and drafted in very similar numbers

44th for Stastny
51st for Stepan

Similar college numbers it just makes me think that Stepan could make the jump much like stastny did at 20.

They are both high in hockey IQ and not gifted skaters but great passers.

Stastny is only 6' 204 according to nhl.com

Stepan is 6' 187, and in an interview with sather back in mid july "Stepan looks physically mature"

I'm sure Stastny was no bigger than that when he entered the league and managed 78 points. Not that Stepan could repeat that, but I wonder what his rookie year would be like with Frolov on the left a 30 goal man, and Gaborik on the right essentially at some point a 50 goal man...

Thoughts?
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The dude hasn't played a game of pro hockey yet

Jimmy Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:52 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dubya View Post
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The dude hasn't played a game of pro hockey yet
jeez, you're like the 3rd person in the thread to post something like this. Hear that everybody? No discussing prospect's talent, potential, or comparable NHL players until they're on the big club.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
The Rangers do have some good veteran centers that he can learn from... EC
Oh boy...

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
jeez, you're like the 3rd person in the thread to post something like this. Hear that everybody? No discussing prospect's talent, potential, or comparable NHL players until they're on the big club.
yeah, quick somebody shut down the boards. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Blazephr

Stepan to me, in the way he plays the game, appears to be the type of center that would fit nicely with a Gaborik. If we had a vet right now on the team that played the center position in the same vein as a Oates,Janney..... they would do very well centering Gabby. I really do believe that's the type of 1st line center that would take Gabby's game to another level altogether.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Jimmy Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Did you not get the hint the previous 2 times? Comparing a 19 year old to NHL all stars is pretty ridiculous.

Jimmy Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dubya View Post
Did you not get the hint the previous 2 times? Comparing a 19 year old to NHL all stars is pretty ridiculous.
It's fairly common to illustrate the traits and strengths of a player many of us don't get to see play very often with a player that we're all familiar with. Besides, the OP is primarily drawing comparisons between where they were/are in their careers at similiar junctures, not literally say Stepan will be Stastny.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote