HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren "Not Interested in Ex-'Hawk Niemi"

Old
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Carter didn't hit him in chest when laying on ice

The save happened because Niemi throws himself forward to take away the shooters angle when he is in split position

He did it several times this year. It is how they are taught in Finland to react when put in that situation

Many goalies try to recover and the puck goes thru there arms or over pad. By falling forward Niemi took away more net then a goalie who tries to stand up from splits position

And if you watch closely Campbell gets his stick on Carter's stick to take away the lift on his shot

It was more Campbell's defensive play + Niemi falling forward that was reason for that not being a better shot not Carters fault

^
As you see Campbell's defense probably saved our season
All Carter had to do is shoot high and wide like he has all season and it would have gone in, Carter put this center net and Campbell was out of the play by the time Carter decided to shoot. Great save, but Carter made it pretty easy on him.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
jesus, are we still arguing over Carters shot in game 6? give it a rest.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post

Gimme a break, nobody outside of Chicago even knew who Antti Niemi was until June....
That's twice you've said this. Just because you didn't know who Niemi was doesn't mean no one else did.

I bet no one outside of Boston knew who Rask was, or only Habs' fans knew who Halak was, right?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
lancer247

Gerber signs in EDM

Niemi's options are dwindling.

At this point probably looking at NYI, OTT, or TB.

However it shakes out there should be a goalie available for the Flyers to trade for (assuming it's not the KHL).

Roloson
LeClaire
Smith

I would be happy having any of them with Leighton.

Am I being too optimistic?

However, I do think they will see what Backlund does in camp.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
starbuck97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Niemi's options are dwindling.

At this point probably looking at NYI, OTT, or TB.

However it shakes out there should be a goalie available for the Flyers to trade for (assuming it's not the KHL).

Roloson
LeClaire
Smith

I would be happy having any of them with Leighton.

Am I being too optimistic?

However, I do think they will see what Backlund does in camp.
I dont think OTT is in it for Niemi because Leclaire has a $3.8 cap hit and really is untradeable. I dont see the Flyers taking on that cap hit when they could sign Niemi for lower. Elliot has potential, so I think OTT sticks with Leclaire/Elliot.

TB cant be in it after signing Ellis, but I guess you never know. And Philly could have asked for Smith in the two previous trades they completed with TB already.

The Islanders will probably go with Roloson for his last year and pray that Dipietro comes back long term. If the Isles do sign Niemi, thats a good call that Philly could take Roloson at a $2.5 cap hit and a UFA next year.

My wildcard for Niemi is Columbus. They dont have any money tied up in goalies, and Mason was terrible last year but still young enough to get better. They could sign Niemi for a couple years and still give Mason some starts to get his game back long term.

It is so obvious that Philly should sign Niemi. Not that he is that much better than Leighton, but because philly needs to go for the cup this year. You have a goalie that has potential and has won a cup. Its a no-brainer. But I guess with Holmgren that applies at this point in time. I have been a huge Holmgren backer but this off-season is a disaster if he doesnt upgrade in goal.

starbuck97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 10:06 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post
I dont think OTT is in it for Niemi because Leclaire has a $3.8 cap hit and really is untradeable. I dont see the Flyers taking on that cap hit when they could sign Niemi for lower. Elliot has potential, so I think OTT sticks with Leclaire/Elliot.

TB cant be in it after signing Ellis, but I guess you never know. And Philly could have asked for Smith in the two previous trades they completed with TB already.

The Islanders will probably go with Roloson for his last year and pray that Dipietro comes back long term. If the Isles do sign Niemi, thats a good call that Philly could take Roloson at a $2.5 cap hit and a UFA next year.

My wildcard for Niemi is Columbus. They dont have any money tied up in goalies, and Mason was terrible last year but still young enough to get better. They could sign Niemi for a couple years and still give Mason some starts to get his game back long term.

It is so obvious that Philly should sign Niemi. Not that he is that much better than Leighton, but because philly needs to go for the cup this year. You have a goalie that has potential and has won a cup. Its a no-brainer. But I guess with Holmgren that applies at this point in time. I have been a huge Holmgren backer but this off-season is a disaster if he doesnt upgrade in goal.
I thought LeClaire's caphit was lower but I didn't look it up.

The only reason I say TB is because I believe someone in their mgmt team was responsible for him going to CHI. Mason/Niemi would be a good tandem.

I really believe Homer is holding out to see how things go in camp before making a move.

Old
08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
2minutes4slashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
That's twice you've said this. Just because you didn't know who Niemi was doesn't mean no one else did.

I bet no one outside of Boston knew who Rask was, or only Habs' fans knew who Halak was, right?

uh yeahh ok **sighs and shakes head sarcastically ***

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 12:57 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I would be happier with Theo/Leighton than what we have.
Theodore is a bigger playoff choker than Leighton...

How could you not know this?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
All Carter had to do is shoot high and wide like he has all season and it would have gone in, Carter put this center net and Campbell was out of the play by the time Carter decided to shoot. Great save, but Carter made it pretty easy on him.
Yes, he should have shot to his left more.

But in defence, the last replay clearly shows Campbell's stick deflecting the puck downwards, which leads to it hitting Niemi, when it LOOKED like it was gonna go over top of Anti and in the top right of the net.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:56 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Jesus ****ing Christ!!! Would you people shut the **** up already with the whole "high and wide" schtick when it comes to Carter!!!! Is that how he's led the team in goals the past 2 (3?) seasons? By constantly shooting high and wide? Yes. His shots sometimes go high and wide. Guess who else shoots it high and wide? Basically every player ever!!! Especially since the butterfly goalie style has taken over the NHL.

And what ****ing sense does it make that if he shot it "high and wide" it would have gone in? If it went high and wide, IT WOULDN'T HAVE ****ING GONE THE **** IN!!!!!!

GAH!!!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Wait, you're not banned yet? Shocker.

I don't get the user name...is it supposed to be ironic/humorous or...? I've seen like thirty posts from you and everyone is a Carter related troll job or straight up bashing. I guess what I'm getting at is that your posts all suck, I'm not allowed to bash you personally, but I'm sure you can extrapolate.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Amateur Hour

Who needs to sign a real starting goal when you can roll out the formidable Leighton/Boucher two-headed monster?! The NHL doesn't stand a chance.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Wait, you're not banned yet? Shocker.

I don't get the user name...is it supposed to be ironic/humorous or...? I've seen like thirty posts from you and everyone is a Carter related troll job or straight up bashing. I guess what I'm getting at is that your posts all suck, I'm not allowed to bash you personally, but I'm sure you can extrapolate.
If you don't feed trolls, they go away. If you don't quote them, we can all ignore them.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
Theodore is a bigger playoff choker than Leighton...

How could you not know this?
He won 20 straight last year behind an awful defense, he is a definite upgrade over Boosh for when Leighton crumbles !!!

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 08:57 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
He won 20 straight last year behind an awful defense, he is a definite upgrade over Boosh for when Leighton crumbles !!!
behind a horrible defense yes, but he had a team scoring a gajillion goals for him too

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
behind a horrible defense yes, but he had a team scoring a gajillion goals for him too
His save percentage and GAA were pretty decent too. His team scoring goals isn't going to inflate his save percentage or GAA.

I don't know how anyone can argue that Theodore is actually a bad option right now.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
2minutes4slashing

Theodore is a much better all around option then Leighton , so easy that a caveman can can figure this out. I wanna cup for this team just as badly as all of you. But we're not winning it with Boosh/Leights as a tandem, sorry.

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Theodore is a much better all around option then Leighton , so easy that a caveman can can figure this out. I wanna cup for this team just as badly as all of you. But we're not winning it with Boosh/Leights as a tandem, sorry.
I don't know why any Flyer fan would be against Theodore as a backup or 1A compared to Boucher. At least Theodore has been a starter on his team in the last 5 years what has Boucher done. And being that it's the beginning of August and Theodore still hasn't signed with anyone, I bet if Holmgren offered a one year deal at $1 million, he'd jump at it to be on a contending team with the chance of being number one. Leighton hasn't played more than 40 games in a season so it would be unrealistic for Holmgren to assume he could play 50 or 60 games as the Flyers number one. As for Boucher, the Flyers would be in big trouble if he was the number one. So signing Theodore wouldn't be a bad idea and split the time with Leighton and demote Boucher to the minors or trade him elsewhere.

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
teddygmr

What's the latest on Robert Esche?
I think he is better than Boucher and may be tired of eating Borscht and staying in cheap hotels in the KHL.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Komarov47

the question is does Theo is better than Leighton?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
the question is does Theo is better than Leighton?
Actually, the question is, " Is Theo better then Boosch?"

Leighton is here unless he really ***** the bed. That's why they need a better option at Plan B then Boosch. I have never believed Theo was a top shelf goalie but at this point I'd rather have him as Plan B then Boosch.

Old
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247
Actually, the question is, " Is Theo better then Boosch?"

Leighton is here unless he really ***** the bed. That's why they need a better option at Plan B then Boosch. I have never believed Theo was a top shelf goalie but at this point I'd rather have him as Plan B then Boosch.
Agreed 100%. As ridiculous as it is to have Leighton as the #1, given the other options, it is ridiculous X100 to not even make him earn it. Paul Holmgren has to face the very real possibility that Michael Leighton comes apart this season. Is he that confident that Boucher can jump in and carry the team for a long stretch of games or, worse, the entire rest of the season?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Komarov47

I would defenitely go with Leighton/Theo, i would loved to see Chris Mason with a Flyers jersey, i don't understand why he signed with Atlanta, knowing that Pavelec is pushing for the starting job...

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I would defenitely go with Leighton/Theo, i would loved to see Chris Mason with a Flyers jersey, i don't understand why he signed with Atlanta, knowing that Pavelec is pushing for the starting job...
Mason panicked too, that's all. He's going to be a backup. But he'll make more than Turco.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:43 AM
DUHockey9

I just had the Theodore conversation with a friend last week. Yes, I'd take him. It can only help to take the best 2 out of Leighton, Theodore, and Boucher (you'd assume Boucher would be sent packing). I'd be of the opinion Theodore would win the job, but should he falter we then have Leighton...and vice versa. I just HATE the idea of handing Leighton a starting job, HATE it.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote