HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patrick O'Sullivan to NSH

Old
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
goalscorer

vCash: 500
Alot of people mentioning that he's not a "Trotz" type of player or won't fit the mold of a Predator hockey, but maybe that is why DP and crew are looking at him. We need offense. I'd say he's lower risk than Kostitsyn. At least O'Sullivan has recorded a 20 goal season.

I think DP and company know that honest, hardworking players will squeek us into the post season year after year. And as the past has shown, we never go anywhere when we arrive. Nashville can't go spend a crap ton of money during FA for our scoring punch, so I think now they trying to pick guys with the big upside who nobody wants, give them a shot and see what magic may turn up.

I honestly have not watched much of O'Sullivan. I've heard good and bad things, but I'd be willing to give him a shot. They're giving SK a shot, so why not. The only question I have is where does he fit in the line up? Someone mentioned in the Preds board that he'd be a third liner at best. Well, being that our third line will essentially be 2a, 2b, 2c why the hell not?

Sullivan- Wilson -Hornqvist
Kostitsyn- Lombardi -Erat
O'Sullivan-Legwand -Dumont
Ward- Goc -Smithson

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
I can't see POS going to Nashville, he needs a team like Pitt that has players that cal do all the work to set him up... Even then he'll just do what he does best when he gets a 5* chance, either hit the post, or shoot it right at the goalie. Sorry if I sound a bit bitter, I liked the guy when he first came to EDM, thought he'd be the perfect player to go with Hemsky, but by the end he was making me wish Lupul was still here...

That Cole/Willaims/O'Sullivan trade really didn't worked out for anyone.
Kings fans still make this trade though, but you're right. I hope O'Sullivan succeeds somewhere, he's not some heartless guy like most people suggest, he's just battling a lot in his head.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
SpooKy

Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
POS has some top-end offensive talent. He also seems to complain a lot thru the media when his playing time takes a hit and coaching decisions come in to play.

Having said that, Patrick is a grown man now who can't use his dad as an excuse for his poor play and bad defensive decisions. It's time for everyone to hold POS responsible for his position so far in the NHL.

And who cares if there's only two reporters in the locker room after games? That's not what you're being paid for. You're being paid to perform on the ice. O'Sullivan made it to the NHL without his dad and played his way out of both LA and Edmonton --pops didn't have anything to do with that. And making more than 9,000,000 million dollars along the way too.

I'm tired of hearing excuses for O'Sullivan; his dad, his coaches, his third line ice time... Plain and simple, Sully needs to look at himself in the mirror and start from there.

SpooKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Could be a good fit. O'Sullivan's been a a loyal supporter of USA Hockey and Poile's a chief architect within that program. Little national limelight so he could concentrate on playing hockey. There's also some nice pieces he could gel with talent-wise. Low risk signing by the Preds IMO.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Cardboardbox

What happened to him and his dad again? I remember reading it during his draft year (reason why he dropped too?) but dont remember the exact details.

Cardboardbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
JFJ fan212*

Oh good, another Ektard BS lie. Give it up Dwayne.

JFJ fan212* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
He'll be a good addition to their farm club.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That's a little misguided. It's not like other coaches haven't given him the structure he needs.
OK, structure probably wasn't the best word choice. However, Trotz seems to have an uncanny ability to get players to buy into his system and play a specific role. more so than any of the coaches that O'Sullivan has had in the league so far.

Combine that with the anonymity of playing in Tennessee, and it seems like a place where he might be able to get back on track.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:37 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardbox View Post
What happened to him and his dad again? I remember reading it during his draft year (reason why he dropped too?) but dont remember the exact details.
Yes, I would also like to hear about this...

Also,
Would love to see POS in a preds jersey!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardbox View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/whoselifeisit/story.html

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
OK, structure probably wasn't the best word choice. However, Trotz seems to have an uncanny ability to get players to buy into his system and play a specific role. more so than any of the coaches that O'Sullivan has had in the league so far.

Combine that with the anonymity of playing in Tennessee, and it seems like a place where he might be able to get back on track.
Trotz is a good coach no doubt, but those things you listed, aren't things that have prevented O'Sullivan from becoming what he should be. All of his problems stem from his family situation.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Trotz is a good coach no doubt, but those things you listed, aren't things that have prevented O'Sullivan from becoming what he should be. All of his problems stem from his family situation.
That's specious at best.

Plenty of players have motivation issues without having an abusive father.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
That's specious at best.

Plenty of players have motivation issues without having an abusive father.
How is it wrong? He's been put into plenty of situations to succeed. He's been in a market where there is no pressure. Failed. He's been in a market where he's under the microscope. Failed. He's had good coaches, he's had bad coaches. He's got issues, and until he gets those figured out, he's going to struggle as a hockey player. I mean his damn dad posted on the Kings board here during his time as a King.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:09 AM
lightning_legwand*

What kind of cash would the preds have to dish him?

PS, Would be alot happier with him as our low risk/high reward guy than Kostitsyn.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:46 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
How is it wrong? He's been put into plenty of situations to succeed. He's been in a market where there is no pressure. Failed. He's been in a market where he's under the microscope. Failed. He's had good coaches, he's had bad coaches. He's got issues, and until he gets those figured out, he's going to struggle as a hockey player. I mean his damn dad posted on the Kings board here during his time as a King.
I didn't say it was wrong, I said it was specious. And it is.

Correlation isn't causation, and even if it was, there's no evidence to support the idea that there's even a correlation.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Osprey

I think that the whole "mentally disturbed" thing is overblown. People want to explain why he's an underachiever and his past is a convenient explanation. If he were Russian, the underachievement would be chalked up to the way that he and other Russians (stereo)typically are... but, he's American, so it must be something else. That's not to say that his past didn't shape who he is today, but he's grown up enough so that he's responsible for what he does, not his dad. It's like an adult blaming his/her obesity on a similar upbringing -- ok, so it set you on a unhealthy course, but it's your own fault if, as an adult, you refuse to live healthily.

O'Sullivan has not been a chronic underachiever. His best years came very shortly after his break with his dad. If memories of his dad could've hurt his play, they would've done so then, when the memories were fresh. Instead, he moved on by tearing up the OHL again and going on to win AHL Rookie of the Year. He even had a promising first season and a half in the NHL. Then, he hit a wall because he wouldn't do the little things the way that the coaches wanted, not because the dad that he hadn't talked to in five years suddenly started occupying his thoughts again.

As I implied, O'Sullivan is kind of like an American Russian: he's quiet, misunderstood, can seem lazy and tends to try to get by on skill a little too much. His past could've shaped these traits, but it's he who chooses to be this way now, as an adult. If that means questioning his work ethic, so be it. He's old enough to take responsibility. He shouldn't be handed excuses still. Besides, considering how mature he sounds in that article written a year or so after he left his dad, I don't think that he'd make any, himself.

Anyways, I've always liked O'Sullivan and, honestly, when he was in LA, it was hard to understand exactly what the coaches wanted from him. I saw willingness from him to change his game to appease them (ex. they pressed him to throw checks, so, shockingly, he started throwing several per game), but, when it compromised other areas (ex. his scoring), he went back in the doghouse. Maybe understanding what the coaches want from him is one of his weaknesses and why he finds himself in the situations that he has. Maybe a good "players' coach" like Trotz will establish the communication level and quality that O'Sullivan needs to be comfortable. I think that it could be a good fit (it doesn't mean that it will be, but the potential is there).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
janecky

Signing someone like O'Sullivan after a subpar season is a reasonable opportunity to add scoring to a team like the Preds working on a shoestring budget. That said, I think the Preds already signed their POS in Kostitsyn. It doesn't look like there is space for O'Sullivan on the roster with even Jonas Andersson on a one-way contract.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
He'll be a good addition to their farm club.
If we do in fact sign O'Sullivan, this is what I expect him to do, because that's really all we need. We have no room on our NHL roster unless there is a major trade being made, so O'Sullivan would likely be asked to play with Lundmark or O'Reilly in Milwaukee.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Bauer Hockey 4

I know there wasnt much room in edmonton's forward corps, and that he had a very disappointing year last season, but i was hoping he would get another shot with the oil. It wouldn't make sense to have him in copper and blue with hall, eberle, paajarvi coimng up but i still think he can be good for 20 goals a year if he finds his game

Bauer Hockey 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If we do in fact sign O'Sullivan, this is what I expect him to do, because that's really all we need. We have no room on our NHL roster unless there is a major trade being made, so O'Sullivan would likely be asked to play with Lundmark or O'Reilly in Milwaukee.
I would definitely think that O'Sullivan is not an AHL player. If Poile tells him he will sign him to play in AHL, POS will laugh and say no. Maybe then he goes to KHL and proves he can play good hockey on a 1 year contract.

I think it would be an amazing idea to get POS on Nashville. If predator fans are excited about the potential output of Sergei Kostitsyn, then they would be way more excited over POS. POS has actually had a 20 goal plus season before.

Here is the preds top 12 (4 lines) forwards if POS signs (in order),

1. Hornqvist
2. Lombardi
3. Wilson
4. Erat
5. Sullivan
6. Legwand
7. Dumont
8. O'Sullivan
9. Kostitsyn
10. Ward
11. Goc
12. Tootoo

Then we still have the likes of NHL ready guys that can jump in for injuries/trades at any given time like,

Spaling, Andersson, Smithson, O'Reilly (although I really want him to get a roster spot out of camp), Thuresson, Lundmark, Halischuk, and Belak.

Is there an NHL team with more forward depth than us?

Last edited by lightning_legwand*: 08-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.