HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Ranger Leaves Team For Personal Reasons (ALL Paul Ranger questions here!)

Old
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsNotUseNames View Post
The only thing I could find was this: http://www.boltprospects.com/paul-ranger
Time wise, it fits.

Quote:
I'm not sure of the date of this scouting report. I found it odd, at least in the choice of words. There is a list of his injuries on the left side of the page as well.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55077/Paul_Ranger

What's that about? I had always thought of Paul Ranger as a pretty laid back guy. Of course I have never met him, but I'm not sure if "issues" is an appropriate way to describe the situation.
Saying someone has "issues" is definitely a loaded phrase, but I'm not sure what wording they could have used that would have gotten that basic message across without being too verbose.

The fact of the matter is that report, and it's been like that for a few months now, was written by someone who also did not know what the issue actually is either.

It's also conjecture on my part, but the editor in that specific instance may have their own theory they wanted to imply.

Quote:
I thought this article from last year paints a pretty clear picture of why he is hesitant to come back to the game.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=485315

It's obvious that he's at a crossroads in his life. He's had a couple bad injuries that have taken away from his quality of life. If he still loves the game and wants to play, I'd be happy to have him with the Lightning. If his heart isn't in it anymore, I can understand that too.
I looked at that too. I think it's important not to read too much into one statement, or even one interview, but to look at the narrative as a whole. That's the basis I've tried to use to currently determine that it appears like he doesn't want to play. Even though I have my doubts about that as well.

There's a theme in the non-statements indicating over time, that Ranger isn't prepared to make the decision to return or not (which strongly indicates that physically he can play, but by not choosing to play is the same as choosing not to play).

And it's been what now? Nine months? It can't even be a kid at this point, because it'd be popped out by now.

The issue I see facing him, and I believe I wrote this earlier, possibly before the threads got merged, is the potential fan backlash. Warranted or not.

Think about this for a second. You buy a Paul Ranger sweater, root for him, and the team every game. Spend your time, your money, and your brain power stressing over the success of the team. Only to find out that the guy whose name you've been wearing all this time has apparently cared less about that success than you have.

He's also a southern Ontario boy, thousands would have killed for what he got, and it'll appear to them like he's throwing that away.

He'd forever be compared to Alex Daigle, although that comparison would probably be unfair.

The thing that gets me is that Ranger worked, and more often that not, played hard. That's not a sign of someone who doesn't have some passion for the game. He also opted-in for the draft, back when you had to do that.

I don't think he doesn't like the game, but it will be interpreted that way.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
If he didn't want to play or lacked heart for it there would be no reason to keep this silence for so long..

08-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Iceman78

I'm a Devils fan here. I come in peace. Considering Ranger might not play, I feel this could lead to a re-enactment of the Devils-Sharks trade in 07.

The Devils traded Malakhov and a 1st round pick to the Sharks for cap relief. In exchange, they received the rights to Alexander Korolyuk, whom the Devils knew would likely never play in the NHL again.

So, would Lightning fans accept a trade of:

To NJ: Paul Ranger's rights
To TB: Brian Rolston + 2011 1st round pick

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
A late first in a supposedly weak draft isn't worth taking Rolston or giving up Rangers rights. Even though I think Ranger will never play in the NHL again I despise Rolston and don't want him anywhere near the locker room, especially when he's on one of the worst contracts in the league.

08-04-2010, 09:29 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman78 View Post
I'm a Devils fan here. I come in peace. Considering Ranger might not play, I feel this could lead to a re-enactment of the Devils-Sharks trade in 07.

The Devils traded Malakhov and a 1st round pick to the Sharks for cap relief. In exchange, they received the rights to Alexander Korolyuk, whom the Devils knew would likely never play in the NHL again.

Not for Rolston. Maybe for one of the other "loose end" pieces that NJ will have to move if the Kovy contract goes through, and the 1st.

Im completely over Ranger. I respect whatever is going on with him but its been almost a year and this maybe maybe not attitude is crap. Make a decision, inform the team, everyone moves on.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:

Talk to me about Andy Greene...

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Iceman78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Talk to me about Andy Greene...
Greene is truly off-limits as he's the Devils only PMD and has an extremely low salary. The Devils' biggest need is to clear cap space.

I suppose NJ and TB do not make good trading partners. Best of luck this season, guys.

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Greene is truly off-limits as he's the Devils only PMD and has an extremely low salary. The Devils' biggest need is to clear cap space.

I suppose NJ and TB do not make good trading partners. Best of luck this season, guys.
DAMN! I tried.

Old
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:

Rolston doesn't want to be here, so I don't want him here.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Rolston doesn't want to be here, so I don't want him here.
Not that I want Rolston here, because I don't, but him not signing here after they traded for his rights could have been because of the previous ownership/management group. He never got a chance to be Yzermaned. I still don't want him though.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Not that I want Rolston here, because I don't, but him not signing here after they traded for his rights could have been because of the previous ownership/management group. He never got a chance to be Yzermaned. I still don't want him though.
Yep, Rolston had the chance to sign with Tampa, but stated that he wanted to choose a place with a strong-ish local hockey program for his kid(s) development.

But they weren't interested, so he signed with New Jersey.

Rolston's on a +35 contract, with a NTC. I don't see where he'd fit in the lineup, and given that Yzerman has been very thoughtful about how he'll go about building this team, I don't think we'd take on Rolston in that type of deal (if he'd even accept it).

Old
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Yep, Rolston had the chance to sign with Tampa, but stated that he wanted to choose a place with a strong-ish local hockey program for his kid(s) development.

But they weren't interested, so he signed with New Jersey.
Ahh. I didn't realize he had actually given a reason for not wanting to sign here. Isn't that the same excuse Ted Nolan had for turning down the coaching job at one point in time?

Anyway, if a decent deal came along for Ranger's rights I think it should be jumped on. There was a brief period (when Meszaros was traded) that I thought maybe SFY thought he would be coming back. Now I think if you can get something good for him, pull the trigger. I doubt he ever plays again, and I really don't think it will ever be for the Lightning.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Ahh. I didn't realize he had actually given a reason for not wanting to sign here. Isn't that the same excuse Ted Nolan had for turning down the coaching job at one point in time?

Anyway, if a decent deal came along for Ranger's rights I think it should be jumped on. There was a brief period (when Meszaros was traded) that I thought maybe SFY thought he would be coming back. Now I think if you can get something good for him, pull the trigger. I doubt he ever plays again, and I really don't think it will ever be for the Lightning.
Nolan did turn down an offer to be HC because of a similar feeling. But I think it had more to do with the number of rinks, and the general accessibility to play the game (at the time), rather than the level of development available.

Given that anyone can be traded for the right price, Ranger should not be immune from discussion.

However, there is a major issue in the potential negotiations. The other GM is going to want to know what the issue is, exactly, before making a trade. Given how tight-lipped everyone who does know has been, I doubt they'd find out w/o Ranger's permission. Which then also opens up the possibility of the other team wanting compensation later, or at least wanting their stuff back, because the trade was made in bad faith.

Either the Lightning knew he wasn't capable of playing, and acted otherwise, or by Ranger giving permission to tell them, for the purposes of a trade, it's implied that he would at least make an effort to return to playing status. It's a needless gamble, if everything doesn't work out for the best.

At least with Mogilny, the nature of what was keeping him out wasn't a huge secret. Whoever takes on Ranger may then become legally liable, because it could be almost anything.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-05-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
DekeR

If the rights were to be traded - this is the time to do so. If Ranger wants no part of the present day management team and it doesn't get any better than what we have now. I doubt that his heart is in it any longer. I would take a 3rd round pick.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

No reason to trade his rights, no reason to harass him. I don't know if this just came up on the radio or what but everyone is throwing a ****fit about this all of a sudden. It didn't matter four weeks ago, why now?

Nothing has changed. Let the kid figure out what the deal is, and make a choice. Otherwise, our defense is set and we have a logjam already.

Old
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
If the rights were to be traded - this is the time to do so. If Ranger wants no part of the present day management team and it doesn't get any better than what we have now. I doubt that his heart is in it any longer. I would take a 3rd round pick.
while we are at it lets trade David Carle's rights

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
If Ranger wants no part in the present management team, then there's no pleasing him.

SFY can do almost everything, short of manifesting a unicorn for him. There are other ways he'd go about getting one of those.

Probably just loot one from the Flyers.

Old
08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Yeah so I'm a Canes fan but I've always kind of liked the Lightning (strange, yes). I knew that Ranger had been out for a long time, and for personal reasons, but didn't really know the details. Finding a good amount of time on my hands, I stumbled upon this thread and read the whole thing.

I now realize that in not following the situation at all last season, I still know just as much about it as you all do. Now, after this 15 minutes of reading, I'm DYING to know what's going on.

So, my main question... HOW HAVE YOU ALL DEALT WITH THIS OVER A WHOLE YEAR??? I've been here 15 minutes and I ALREADY can't take it anymore...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
Yeah so I'm a Canes fan but I've always kind of liked the Lightning (strange, yes). I knew that Ranger had been out for a long time, and for personal reasons, but didn't really know the details. Finding a good amount of time on my hands, I stumbled upon this thread and read the whole thing.

I now realize that in not following the situation at all last season, I still know just as much about it as you all do. Now, after this 15 minutes of reading, I'm DYING to know what's going on.

So, my main question... HOW HAVE YOU ALL DEALT WITH THIS OVER A WHOLE YEAR??? I've been here 15 minutes and I ALREADY can't take it anymore...
I don't care what his problem is, I just want it to be over. He used to be one of my favorite players now I resent him. It's been 10 months, time to tell SFY your plans for the next season and career.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

That feeling fades, as 99% of the time, there is nothing to talk about. I'd wager that the posts in this thread have come in clusters. A few days here and there, etc. And now the slew of comments because of the offseason boredom.

The fact that it is a rather slow time, is making this issue feel like a higher priority than it probably is.

Old
08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm wondering if it's some sort of disorder like bipolar disorder. It sounds like it might be it and maybe Ranger is still trying to find the right medication doses that will balance the peaks and valleys. Sometimes, it can take up to three years to find the perfect balance with regards to medication.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
And, one more question. It's dumb, I know.

SFY? What's that? Steve ****in' Yzerman?

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:41 PM
MrMcGz

Wait, so what's up with Paul Ranger?

It is pretty ridiculous that its been this long without a peep or a solid decision, but that's ok. He was a decent player, but I think the team has moved on. I'm excited to see how much Hedman has bulked up and if Wishart can take the 7th spot from Smaby and Lashoff!

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm wondering if it's some sort of disorder like bipolar disorder. It sounds like it might be it and maybe Ranger is still trying to find the right medication doses that will balance the peaks and valleys. Sometimes, it can take up to three years to find the perfect balance with regards to medication.....
I don't get that sense at all. What's indicated that to you?

I also can't see any mental problem, short of outright insanity, as being a detriment to playing entirely. All that time away from keeping up with the team schedule is probably giving him more time for self-reflection, and that's when the depression can set in. Better for him to stay busy.

And just as an aside, there really is no timetable on when someone would find a perfect balance of medication, if ever. Especially given how common it is for people to "outgrow" their prescriptions, and need increasingly higher doses. There's also the rare cases of patients who don't respond to any amount of medication.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 08-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
And, one more question. It's dumb, I know.

SFY? What's that? Steve ****in' Yzerman?
He's Steve ****ing Yzerman only when negotiating. He's only Steve Yzerman when he's rescuing cats out of trees, baking apple pies, cleaning up the Oil spill, performing open heart surgery at TGH, teaching A-Rod how to be a true Yankee, etc.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote