HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What Would It Take For You to Give Up Lundqvist?

Old
08-08-2010, 10:01 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise View Post
def not sarcasm. all u need is a hot goaltender in the playoffs.
Hot goaltender, as in ****** goaltender who got hot at the right time, then, yes, you have a point.

Lundqvist is actually good the entire season... And as Devils fans, we should know that.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:13 PM
DevilInDisguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Hot goaltender, as in ****** goaltender who got hot at the right time, then, yes, you have a point.

Lundqvist is actually good the entire season... And as Devils fans, we should know that.
but didnt we score 8 goals against lundpads that one year??

DevilInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise View Post
but didnt we score 8 goals against lundpads that one year??
8 goals in 6 games is nothing to be happy about

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
8 goals in 6 games is nothing to be happy about
Well, there was one game in which the Devils stoned Lundqvist when Clemmenson was in Jersey...

And the infamous "Towel Game" this past season.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
DevilInDisguise

yes! we cant ever forget the "towel game"

DevilInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:49 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

The only way I would trade Henke is if there were another goalie in the system with similar upside. Think Beezer/Richeter.

Vanbiesbrouck was an outstanding goalie for NY, but went under the bus because Richter was next in line.

So when the Rangers have another goalie ready to step in then Henrik can be traded. Not before

and FYI I don't believe in selecting goalies in the first round...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I was viewing the thread on the trade and free agent forum labeled something to the extent "Value of: Malkin to NYR."

Penguin fans were saying Lundqvist, on his own, isn't close to Malkin's value and were proposing ludicrous returns for him. I vehemently disagree.

Than, they were showing trades such as Malkin + Fleury for Gaborik + Lundqvist + Staal and I thought that would be a TERRIBLE deal for the Rangers. I asked my brother last night too. He also said he wouldn't do that proposed trade and that if you move Lundqvist, in his prime right now, it would take a lot of consideration.

Personally, I think Lundqvist is the best goaltender in the NHL. I can understand why some people don't think so but at the very least I'd view him as a top-3 goaltender in the NHL. He is an elite goaltender who can stand on his head and steal games all on his own. He almost stole an entire series from Washington in 08-09 by himself. This year Halak did with a lot of help from Cammalleri. Unfortunately, the Rangers didn't have a potent goal scorer like that to back up Henrik.

I wouldn't trade Lundqvist for Malkin straight up. Lundqvist is our franchise and I think we would be sunk without him. Can you imagine if Fleury was out starter last year with the way how he played for the Penguins Malkin or no Malkin, we would have been a lottery team.

I put a lot of stock in goaltending and I just don't know if I would trade an elite goaltender for an elite center straight up. Would I consider it? Well, you would have to but I'd have to put a lot of thought in it. I think just in this example, that Malkin's value and the value of elite center's in general will fall with the rise of how many are up and coming. Crosby, Datsyuk, Malkin, Getzlaf and now the rise of Sedin, Backstrom, Stamkos, etc.

Any trade involving Lundqvist in my book would have to include a franchise player coming the other way (I.E. someone Kovalchuk caliber).

I think the only two players in the NHL I would move him for right away, in a package deal, would be Ovechkin / Crosby. Everything else I'd have to put a lot of serious thought into.

What do you guys think?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
ThirdEye

I love Hank and probably wouldn't trade him at this point. If we still haven't won anything or have not even formed any semblance of an actual team in about two years I would strongly consider it though. He will be around 29 and will still probably have decent value

I think I'm slowly accepting the fact that you don't really need a great goalie to win a championship. Of course I'm weighing that with the fact that he's my favorite player and I'd prefer to continue watching him here

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Kovy is not a game-changer yet and hasn't won anything. To say he's a franchise player is a little far-fetched. However, sometimes that term is often misused. We use it for Lundqvist, and he's arguably not in most people's top 5 for goaltenders, so is he a franchise player for other hockey teams/fans? Probably not. So to some, Kovy is a franchise player, but he isn't on Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin level.
Is Kovy a franchise player?? Kovy not being a game changer is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and kills any credibility you have - the guy led his franchise scoring 40-50 goals a season for how many years? ... He is the exact definition if a franchise player. Are you kidding me? Since the kid came into the league - he has more goals than anyone. Yea, he didn't make the playoffs bc his teams were awful. Was Roy Halladay not a franchise guy bc the Jays were terrible? Is Rick Nash not a franchise player bc the Jacket's don't have enough talent? Is he the best player in hockey? No. but but put him on the Wings, and he is a god.

Barnaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

crosby, ovechkin, or malkin would never be traded to the rangers. so there's no need to fret over losing hank.

Sour Shoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

You'd have a hard time getting a "true value" return for Lundqvist. He may be one of the best in the game, but he also carries the highest price tag in terms of his contract. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that could take on that kind of commitment.

Ideally, I'd want a #1 center under the age of 25. Not too many teams can spare that kind of player and are in need of a goalie like Hank.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You'd have a hard time getting a "true value" return for Lundqvist. He may be one of the best in the game, but he also carries the highest price tag in terms of his contract. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that could take on that kind of commitment.

Ideally, I'd want a #1 center under the age of 25. Not too many teams can spare that kind of player and are in need of a goalie like Hank.
Well said. Also, goalies just don't seem to have much trade value.

08-09-2010, 09:31 AM
DekeR

Tough decision: keep Henrik and not worry about goaltending or give him up and end up like Philly. I don't like Philly, I don't want to emulate!!!!!!!

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:32 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Caprio View Post
crosby, ovechkin, or malkin would never be traded to the rangers. so there's no need to fret over losing hank.
damn... my hopes and dreams .... dashed. How could you

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
Tough decision: keep Henrik and not worry about goaltending or give him up and end up like Philly. I don't like Philly, I don't want to emulate!!!!!!!
I agree with not emulating Philly...but being in the Stanley Cup Finals sure would be fun...

That being said, right now Hank represents our best chance to win a championship. We have all seen what the guy can do when he is hot and I still believe that one day he will steal us a Cup.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Crazyhorse30

Right offer comes around and he's gone.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Henrik is a perfect fit, but so are silly summer conversations around here

Get out, get some sun !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Henrik is a perfect fit, but so are silly summer conversations around here

Get out, get some sun !

Exactly what I was thinking. Henrik isn't just a great goalie - he's clearly a leader, if not the leader, of this bunch of misfits. No way do I entertain any conversations about it if I'm GM.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Henrik isn't just a great goalie - he's clearly a leader, if not the leader, of this bunch of misfits. No way do I entertain any conversations about it if I'm GM.
Agreed...and if some of you don't see how Lundqvist is this teams franchise player and would be on other teams as well you need help.

Kovy is a franchise player as well

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:46 PM
DontStepanMe

I would trade Lundqvist for a top Goalie prospect (Bernier, Schneider) or good young goalie. Another top prospect (hopefully a center), and a 2012 first round pick.

cap hits are everything in this new league. Lundqvist is way overpayed. Most goalies are. You need to spend money on Dmen and Centers. Those are the two most valuable positions in the new NHL. Not Goalies.

A hockey team is only as good as its defense and centers. There are so many good NHL caliber goalies that the difference from 1-30 in the NHL isn't a huge disparity like it used to be 10 or 15 years ago.

and I think GM's are starting to realize that now. Look at what Chicago just did to their goalie that backstopped them. Look at what detroit does every year. Look what goalies (and their cap hits) were for the last 5 cup teams and the 5 teams they beat.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I would trade Lundqvist for a top Goalie prospect (Bernier, Schneider) or good young goalie. Another top prospect (hopefully a center), and a 2012 first round pick.

cap hits are everything in this new league. Lundqvist is way overpayed. Most goalies are. You need to spend money on Dmen and Centers. Those are the two most valuable positions in the new NHL. Not Goalies.

A hockey team is only as good as its defense and centers. There are so many good NHL caliber goalies that the difference from 1-30 in the NHL isn't a huge disparity like it used to be 10 or 15 years ago.

and I think GM's are starting to realize that now. Look at what Chicago just did to their goalie that backstopped them. Look at what detroit does every year. Look what goalies (and their cap hits) were for the last 5 cup teams and the 5 teams they beat.
Lundqvist is way overpayed? He is one of the few guys on this team that actually EARNS his contract.

Take away Redden, Drury and Roszival....spend that money on guys who earn their contracts and this team is top 5 in the league

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post

You bring up some valid points... No doubt.... There are a lot of very good goalies in the NHL where there is not a big disparity between them all..

However, Hank is just about a legend with the MSG faithful already.. If he is traded.. The goalie coming in will get crucified if he lets in a weak goal... The undue expectations would be enormous and probably too much pressure to deal with...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
94now

I'd trade him straight up for Chad Johnson. Oh, wait... we've got CJ already... Never mind, then.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
You bring up some valid points... No doubt.... There are a lot of very good goalies in the NHL where there is not a big disparity between them all..

However, Hank is just about a legend with the MSG faithful already.. If he is traded.. The goalie coming in will get crucified if he lets in a weak goal... The undue expectations would be enormous and probably too much pressure to deal with...
That may be true, but say the Kings called up Slats tomorrow and offered Quick/Bernier, Schenn, and say...Jack Johnson, I hope he pulls the trigger.

Waiting for the angry mob to come raging in

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Ovechkin and that's it. I wouldn't even want Backstrom b/c of his playoff mind and tendencies.
Crosby doesn't check enough and we already have a crop of guys who don't hit.

We haven't made it past the 2nd round with him, without him we don't come close to making the first.

He's the best goaltender in the league. I only trade him for the best player in the league. I'd trade Luongo for Crosby though. #2 for #2?

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
That may be true, but say the Kings called up Slats tomorrow and offered Quick/Bernier, Schenn, and say...Jack Johnson, I hope he pulls the trigger.

Waiting for the angry mob to come raging in
Quick, Johnson, Schenn, and BROWN...I MIGHT be ok with it.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote