HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks "Sean Avery out of the picture?", "What if Wade Redden"...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
  #101
EmDeeZee4MVP
Registered User
 
EmDeeZee4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Kotalik had the 2nd best stats from the year prior of any forward on the Rangers training camp roster last year. Look where he ended up. If Prospal has lost it and we have better options, he'll be benched.
A Torts guy, and the team's Alternate Captain will not be a healthy scratch, under any circumstances.

EmDeeZee4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:48 PM
  #102
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
About the league minimum is what a Boogard deserves in today's NHL.
And why is that? I dont here u crying over a 2million deal to a euro midget without a single nhl game of experience

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
  #103
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Am I the only one who is thinking that if Wade Redden comes into camp in awesome shape and plays lights out all year because he knows that if he doesn't he'll be on the first bus to Hartford is a good thing?
Wade was supposed to do that last summer after an disappointing premier season with the Rangers and public acknowledgment on his part that he was not happy with how his season went.... The result the subsequent season? Much of the same as we saw the first year... Except now it's different because he doesn't have good guy Tom Renney behind the bench on his side....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:26 PM
  #104
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
And why is that? I dont here u crying over a 2million deal to a euro midget without a single nhl game of experience
Exactly. Besides, if this guy puts his foot down and pounds the first few people that mess with Henrik, then he's worth every cent. He, and his salary, are the least of the Rangers problems.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:09 AM
  #105
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,539
vCash: 500
Looks like Redden's days in NY are coming to a close.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../14961356.html

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:48 AM
  #106
DrZoidberg
Registered User
 
DrZoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Nice find.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:07 AM
  #107
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Nice find.
blah, he's just source LB.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:54 AM
  #108
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Brooks is good when it comes to getting insider information from the organization. However, when he editorializes and interjects his own opinion, it gets messy. He is a contrarian and often contradicts himself.

He blasted Redden for most of the season, mocking him when he actually showed some emotion and dropped the gloves. Brooks never hesitated to take a shot at Redden last year, but now he's concerned that Redden may outplay every other defenseman in camp? Come on now.
Thats exactly how I see him too. Larrys obsession with ripping the League and hanging on the Players Association sac right or wrong during the lockout was borderline creepy.

It really looked like he was a on the NHLPA's payroll.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:12 AM
  #109
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks just does his job. Whether he does it well or not is a matter of personal opinion, but it is what he is supposed to write.

Redden will be waved, period. What if he plays well in the camp? There is always the way to make someone look bad. If Torts was told so he could have made Ovechkin look not worthy in his camp. But it is not needed, actually.

Two words: Darius Kasparatis. The guy was the best D in his last camp yet ended up in KHL.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
  #110
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
By the way, if Redden is the best defenseman in Hartford, he'll be the first callup if Roszival gets injured and put on LTIR.
No, he won't be. First of all, the Rangers aren't going to risk Redden being picked up on re-entry waivers. If that happened, we'd be screwed when Rozy comes back because we'd have to send other players down to get under the cap.

And second, Rozy's cap hit is 5 mil. We can only replace him with up to 5 mil in salary. So unless we have an extra 1.5 mil under the cap just waiting to be used, Redden CAN'T replace him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
  #111
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Redden issue, in my mind, is very accurate and a very real possibility. Some folks like to insist that we have a blueline that would benefit from just about anybody replacing Redden.
Congrats on being the only person in this thread who seems to have read the article and gotten the overall point.

The issue is a potential need for Redden. In the unlikely even that Staal doesn't sign and you decide to get rid of Redden no matter what, then you've automatically guaranteed spots Gilory, McDonagh AND Emminger regardless of their development, performance and health. No accounting for injuries either.

Would have been nice of there was an option like Heikkinen in the fold. Everyone that's gunning for Wade's spot this year either has zero pro experience or has already proven to be marginal NHL talent. It definitely keeps hope alive for Redden IMO. The smart move would have been to demote Wade LAST year, replace him with Heikkinen for the balance of the season and resign him under the guise of being Redden's replacement and playing for the Rangers. Short-sighted asset management....as usual.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
  #112
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,668
vCash: 500
I'm not sure why replacing Redden with a rookie last year is smarter asset management than replacing him with a rookie this year. Or not even a rookie but a guy with NHL experience (Eminger)

But I guess Heikkinen was some kind of super great guy or something

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:28 AM
  #113
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
I love how every one has Avery as the odd man out, yet MZA who has yet to play a game in the NHL is a lock!?!?! I hope MZA is as good as you all make him out to be, but here is what I think is going to happen opening night against T.O. MZA gets a cross ice pass as he is gaining speed at the offensive blue line just as Phaneuf is there to meet him with a stiff shoulder, sending this guy into next week. And who you ask will be the guy on the very next shift to make things right....... a guy by the name of AVERY, that's who.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
  #114
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not sure why replacing Redden with a rookie last year is smarter asset management than replacing him with a rookie this year. Or not even a rookie but a guy with NHL experience (Eminger)

But I guess Heikkinen was some kind of super great guy or something
Probably because all seem like a longshot to make it IMO and they're the only real options that exist at this point.

What difference does it make if Heikkinen is a "great guy" or not? He's a competent defenseman who played very well in his stint last year. It would have been nice to retain a player like that rather than roll the dice on a reclamation project like Eminger.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
  #115
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Probably because all seem like a longshot to make it IMO and they're the only real options that exist at this point.

What difference does it make if Heikkinen is a "great guy" or not? He's a competent defenseman who played very well in his stint last year. It would have been nice to retain a player like that rather than roll the dice on a reclamation project like Eminger.
But I (and I believe most here as well as likely Rangers management) would argue that getting Redden off the books is so important it would even justify playing a rookie in over his head or a substandard vet like Eminger.

This team, at this point in time, is better served by having a #6 Dman who is below par than a #6 Dman who is at par, or even above par, who makes $6.5MM per year (and apparently is a cancer in the locker room). The ONLY way I see Redden making the team is if Staal holds out AND he plays like a legitimate first pairing player. A combination of events that I find highly improbable...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
  #116
strumwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
...The ONLY way I see Redden making the team is if Staal holds out AND he plays like a legitimate first pairing player. A combination of events that I find highly improbable...
I have to agree. At this point Redden has to play like a 6.5 mill defenseman if he wants to make the team. Unless he makes a drastic change in his play, I can't see how he will not be in Hartford come October.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
  #117
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
I don't think he gets demoted. And not becuase I feel he worthy of the minutes he gets. I just feel that 6.5 million is a lot of salary to dump in the AHL and I have a hard time thinking Dolan is OK with this. He's looking for Glen to right his wrong via trade imo.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
  #118
strumwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't think he gets demoted. And not becuase I feel he worthy of the minutes he gets. I just feel that 6.5 million is a lot of salary to dump in the AHL and I have a hard time thinking Dolan is OK with this. He's looking for Glen to right his wrong via trade imo.
If he can do that great as long as $$ does not come back. I am not sure who would want an 6.5 mill bench warmer though.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
  #119
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
And why is that? I dont here u crying over a 2million deal to a euro midget without a single nhl game of experience

count it, great point made

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:46 PM
  #120
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I love how every one has Avery as the odd man out, yet MZA who has yet to play a game in the NHL is a lock!?!?! I hope MZA is as good as you all make him out to be, but here is what I think is going to happen opening night against T.O. MZA gets a cross ice pass as he is gaining speed at the offensive blue line just as Phaneuf is there to meet him with a stiff shoulder, sending this guy into next week. And who you ask will be the guy on the very next shift to make things right....... a guy by the name of AVERY, that's who.


another great point made here

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:28 PM
  #121
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Congrats on being the only person in this thread who seems to have read the article and gotten the overall point.

The issue is a potential need for Redden. In the unlikely even that Staal doesn't sign and you decide to get rid of Redden no matter what, then you've automatically guaranteed spots Gilory, McDonagh AND Emminger regardless of their development, performance and health. No accounting for injuries either.

Would have been nice of there was an option like Heikkinen in the fold. Everyone that's gunning for Wade's spot this year either has zero pro experience or has already proven to be marginal NHL talent. It definitely keeps hope alive for Redden IMO. The smart move would have been to demote Wade LAST year, replace him with Heikkinen for the balance of the season and resign him under the guise of being Redden's replacement and playing for the Rangers. Short-sighted asset management....as usual.
If Redden goes to Hartford the money is there for Staal is it not?

If Redden doesn't go to Hartford then room will have to be made by cutting someone else or maybe even two someone elses. I don't know about you but I have higher expectations for a player making $6.5 mil--even keeping in mind 4 crappy seasons in a row. Judging from what we've seen the past two seasons if we come to the point where there is no Staal and Redden is a mainstay on defense I would think the Ranger's playoff aspirations are nil--which is another way of arguing for giving a youngster his ice time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
  #122
xxxZENxxx
Registered User
 
xxxZENxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I love how every one has Avery as the odd man out, yet MZA who has yet to play a game in the NHL is a lock!?!?! I hope MZA is as good as you all make him out to be, but here is what I think is going to happen opening night against T.O. MZA gets a cross ice pass as he is gaining speed at the offensive blue line just as Phaneuf is there to meet him with a stiff shoulder, sending this guy into next week. And who you ask will be the guy on the very next shift to make things right....... a guy by the name of AVERY, that's who.
MZA and Avery will both be in the opening night line-up... book it!

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
  #123
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't know about you but I have higher expectations for a player making $6.5 mil--even keeping in mind 4 crappy seasons in a row. Judging from what we've seen the past two seasons if we come to the point where there is no Staal and Redden is a mainstay on defense I would think the Ranger's playoff aspirations are nil--which is another way of arguing for giving a youngster his ice time.
I've got an expectation for Wade Redden, but, no, even it's never been met.

I have a hard time believing that Staal's going to hold out, nevermind hold out well into the season. Worst case scenario, Redden gets demoted whenever he signs that contract and they need the cap room.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
  #124
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I love how every one has Avery as the odd man out, yet MZA who has yet to play a game in the NHL is a lock!?!?! I hope MZA is as good as you all make him out to be, but here is what I think is going to happen opening night against T.O. MZA gets a cross ice pass as he is gaining speed at the offensive blue line just as Phaneuf is there to meet him with a stiff shoulder, sending this guy into next week. And who you ask will be the guy on the very next shift to make things right....... a guy by the name of AVERY, that's who.
I'm sorry but what exactly is Sean Avery going to do to 6'3 215 LB Dion Phaneuf to 'make things right'? Talk about some more of hi Ex's????

I like Sean Avery every bit as much as the next fan but he had an extremely disappointing season last year and as a result, it doesn't appear that our management has figured him into their plans for the top 3 lines this season... That's no fault but his own..... They are conversely very high on MZA and are very confident he will be playing a role on one of our top 2 lines... He obvious has more upside than Avery in terms of point production so I won't fret one bit if MZA is playing on one of the top 2 or 3 scoring lines and Avery is getting 4th line minutes... It's Avery's own doing....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:56 PM
  #125
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Hold on a minute here Wolfgaze! So what you are saying is that despite the fact that Avery had an "off" year AND his point total per game was better then Drury and Cally, he still deserves to be on the fourth line if anything?!?

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.