HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2010 Top Prospects - #9

View Poll Results: Who's #9?
D Mark Alt 0 0%
D Danny Biega 0 0%
D Justin Faulk 14 35.00%
D Michal Jordan 2 5.00%
D Tommi Kivisto 0 0%
D Kyle Lawson 1 2.50%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
G Mike Murphy 9 22.50%
W Oskar Osala 7 17.50%
G Justin Peters 1 2.50%
RW Jerome Samson 1 2.50%
LW Justin Shugg 0 0%
RW Jared Staal 0 0%
C/LW Chris Terry 5 12.50%
other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
2010 Top Prospects - #9

decisive victory for Dumoulin in round 8. Here it will get interesting again, hell even some of the guys we're going to be adding in here over the next 4 rounds could legitimately garner some votes not far from now.

1) RW/C Jeff Skinner - 37.74%
2) D Jamie McBain - 70.73%
3) LW Zach Boychuk - 72.97%
4) C/RW Zac Dalpe - 48.78%
5) C Riley Nash - 45.95%
6) W Drayson Bowman - 32.56%
7) D Bobby Sanguinetti - 51.16%
8) D Brian Dumoulin - 76.92%

added D Kyle Lawson, next three in the que: D Austin Levi, C Nick Dodge, D Rasmus Rissanen

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
First "off the board", pick for me here. Oskar Osala.

Since he has been in our organization for a relatively short period of time, he tends to get looked over a bit. We're talking about a kid here who was dominant in the 2007 WJC and lead the tournament in goals with 5 in 6 games and 8 total points. Was named the SM-Liiga rookie of the year in 2008. Scored 25 goals and 42 points in 69 AHL games, including 10 goals and 3 assists in 16 games for Albany after the trade, and brings a physical presence and big body presence that no other prospect in our system can match.

Additionally, he made his WC debut for Finland after the season this year at the age of 22. He will not turn 23 until late into the season next year and he already "feels" like a veteran prospect.

We badly need for a big kid like this one to turn out and I think for where he is in his development at his age.... it's a very good sign for things to come for him. There have been Erik Cole comparisons around Osala for a while and if he can even moderately live up to that he'll be a useful player to have around.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Gonna go Faulk here, Murphy next.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I was going to give this vote to Faulk, however Vagrant sorta changed my mind here. I think I am guilty of overlooking Osala because he's so new to the system and organization. His size and physicality will be something this team could desperately use in the next few years. Pretty well all of our prospects who look to have the goods to make some sort of impact in the top 6-9, are rather small and/or fairly soft and won't be too intimidating physically. Skinner, Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman, Nash, etc.. overall, a tad on the small side and a little soft. I know Bowman can be a tad feisty, atleast he was in junior, and so can Boychuk, but these guys are pretty small in stature so that is why I am viewing them in this crop.

Osala is a pretty interesting prospect when thinking about it. His size, physical game and scoring seem to be a fairly strong suit of his that translate from level to level. He's got some areas he has to work on, but overall, if he can be coached, taught. develop and round out his game in the next year or two, he could be an asset to our top 9 in a few years. Even if his offensive game doesn't pan out, he could still turn out to be a good, big winger in a checking role who can score some goals from time to time. I almost view him as a safe pick either way. I think he's got a good chance at cracking our roster at some point in the next year or two whether it be in an offensive role or checking role. We've got some options with Osala, I just hope he turns out at the better end of the spectrum. He could be something for us in the mold of Tomas Holmstrom, possibly. I think Osala's calling could be that of a 3rd line winger for us who can use his size and physicality while also having the tools to score 15-20 goals on a consistent basis. I don't think he'll ever be a big overall points guy, maybe tapping out at 30-40 on average with most of them being goals, in the 15-20 range.

His offensive numbers are fairly impressive in the goal scoring column and he seems to be a guy who finds a way to score goals. From his goal totals in Junior, to the AHL, from playing in Finland, are all pretty impressive when you consider Osala was a 4th round pick in the 2006 draft, just a year prior to us drafting Brandon Sutter.

As I said, I was going to go with Faulk, but changed my mind here. He seems like he could be a good defenceman down the road, but truth be told I'd like to see what he does this year, atleast. Kind of in the same boat for me as Dumoulin, just a little unproven and unknown to me. I like guys such as Terry and Dodge aswell, so they got some consideration from me here to.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
I certainly hope he develops into a Holmstrom-like player, but, while I haven't seen him much, I don't think he's as much a presence in FRONT of the net, rather in the corners. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't seen much if any of the kid.

I'm going with Faulk, because while I love Osala, I can't put him ahead of Faulk, who I really think could be a top 4 defenseman in the league.

I'll go with Osala next round, but for now it's time to get Faulk off the board. A former Canes scout who now works for Anaheim was quoted as saying "they ruined my day" when we picked Faulk 5 picks before them, and I just have one of those unbacked, gut feelings that Faulk will end up as a better NHL player than ANY of our current prospects.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Also, only 16 more posts until I can actually be a factor in these polls

Old
08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I really like what I have heard about Faulk, but what scares me is that some scouts have said that his puck handling ability and vision may prevent him from being a true NHL powerplay guy. I can't really grasp a comparison for him with that information, but I keep leaning towards Joe Corvo earlier in his career. Defensively, he's more polished than Corvo was advertised but I do need to see a full year of him at the NCAA level before I really get behind his cause. With that said, he'll probably be one of my next three picks.

At this point, with things running so closely together, it boils down to a matter of preference and your philosophy on prospects. For some, it's the younger the better. The more skilled, the more upside. For others, it may be how a player has adapted to competition and being challenged. That's the kind of thing that gives me a good feeling about some of our players that have been winners at multiple levels and have represented their country on the international stage and performed admirably.

Osala is a great example of the aforementioned success in adaptation. He has played in the OHL, SM-liiga, WJC, WC, etc. and had a degree of success at all locations.

Plus, the relative lack of players that match him stylistically gives me a good feeling about the number of chances he will get to have success in the NHL where as other players like Samson and Terry, who I feel are more offensive options, may not get them with as deep as we are in that facet of our prospect pool. Not all "bust" prospects are busts because they aren't good enough. Sometimes, players get trapped in situations where they aren't given enough opportunity to shine. Every year it seems like a Matt Moulson or another seemingly career AHL player gets an open door and runs through it.

I think that Osala will be a fixture in our lineup once he cracks it for sure. Just think about the guys we have in the line up or in the prospect ranks that have the combination of size, grit, and modest offensive ability ..... and you will come up with only Staal and Osala. Perhaps Lindstrom but it's way too early to call it.

Old
08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Well said Vagrant

The only thing I don't like about Osala is his inconsistency. He's certainly got the skills to be top 9, maybe even top 6 in the NHL. But it seems like the Canes struggle with not having a consistent force in the lineup (whether by inconsistency on the ice or players plagued by injury). Staal is the closest thing to that, but I feel that he sometimes takes shifts off and definitely has games where he just cannot get into a rhythm. Sutter seems like he could be that consistency factor, but I tend to value consistency, the ability to always be effective and on the ice, as a very important aspect of a player's game. Daniels is a good coach, and he could help Osala with that issue, but until then I have to dial back my hopes for Osala. But, I do agree with you, he's got a VERY good chance to play AND stick with the Canes, and if he can lose the inconsistency issues could be another Finnish force on the Canes.

On an off note, if Osala sticks, and Kivisto gets here in a hurry, we could have an entire Finnish starting lineup!!! LOL that's funny to think about.

Old
08-08-2010, 07:25 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
it's time to get Faulk off the board. A former Canes scout who now works for Anaheim was quoted as saying "they ruined my day" when we picked Faulk 5 picks before them
Apparently already suffering from buyer's remorse over their first pick.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
Well said Vagrant

The only thing I don't like about Osala is his inconsistency. He's certainly got the skills to be top 9, maybe even top 6 in the NHL. But it seems like the Canes struggle with not having a consistent force in the lineup (whether by inconsistency on the ice or players plagued by injury). Staal is the closest thing to that, but I feel that he sometimes takes shifts off and definitely has games where he just cannot get into a rhythm. Sutter seems like he could be that consistency factor, but I tend to value consistency, the ability to always be effective and on the ice, as a very important aspect of a player's game. Daniels is a good coach, and he could help Osala with that issue, but until then I have to dial back my hopes for Osala. But, I do agree with you, he's got a VERY good chance to play AND stick with the Canes, and if he can lose the inconsistency issues could be another Finnish force on the Canes.

On an off note, if Osala sticks, and Kivisto gets here in a hurry, we could have an entire Finnish starting lineup!!! LOL that's funny to think about.
I agree with you for sure on the front regarding offensive consistency from Osala being a prime concern regarding his development moving forward. However, offensive inconsistency and general inconsistency are two different things. Daniels had a pretty positive report regarding Osala when he said that even when he's not scoring he's finding ways to contribute in other ways. Mainly his physicality. I think that ability is what will help him find a place in the lineup and where he goes from there is entirely up to him.

Plus, the third line is custom made for players who aren't offensively consistent enough to be top six players. Like Matt Cullen in most years. If Osala could become a bigger version of Tuomo Ruutu with even a 20-20 upside, that would be huge for us.

Also, the company line regarding power forwards taking longer is generally true. It takes a while to master the balance between physicality and offensive contributions. I have a feeling he'll put it together this coming season and be a productive player either for Carolina or Charlotte. We just have to see where that takes him.

Old
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I will say with Osala that he's one of the very few prospects we have that I'm just as comfortable with him getting 4th line NHL time as I would be with him getting top 6 AHL time in terms of what it would do for his development. He has that kind of skill package where whether he's out there to produce or just out there to crush someone he's a fit for the role. That's also probably why he'll stick sooner rather then later, as long as he doesn't go all Isbister which I don't think he will.

That said, I voted Faulk here. Upside is huge with that kid (set the record for goals by an NTDP dman this year), and if he keeps his head straight he could turn out to be the steal of the draft. This may sound like one of the dumbest things I've ever said but reading what a lot of people that follow the US teams closer then I do have said about the kid, his skill set is so close to smaller version of Shea Weber that it's not even funny. There's just a decent bit of bust potential with him IMO, much more so then the 4 I have ranked ahead of him.

Last edited by DaveG: 08-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old
08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Ah, good to know. I thought he was considered to be generally inconsistent. I don't watch too many Hershey games, so I've only seen Osala play his 1 game with the Canes and only 1 or 2 more with the Rats, so I've gotten most of my Osala info from online scouting reports and what not. I hadn't heard that Daniels had said this; now I'm pretty convinced that he can step in on our 3rd line. I'm sure he'll have extra motivation to make it out of camp; he won't have too many opportunities to play NHL games in his native country.

Now I'm not sure about who I'd pick. I have actually never seen Faulk play (looking forward to watching him in the NCAA next year), but all I've heard is fantastic things about his game. I certainly value youth as a plus to prospects, because they have time to work on any weaknesses to their game, and I'm sure that the NCAA will help Faulk to become that power play quarterback. That being said, Faulk is probably 3-4 years from helping our team, and I'm certainly an impatient person Meanwhile, Osala probably doesn't have as high a ceiling, but will probably play significant games for us this year.

It's a good thing I'm not allowed a vote, because now I'm truly torn.

Old
08-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I will say with Osala that he's one of the very few prospects we have that I'm just as comfortable with him getting 4th line NHL time as I would be with him getting top 6 AHL time in terms of what it would do for his development. He has that kind of skill package where whether he's out there to produce or just out there to crush someone he's a fit for the role. That's also probably why he'll stick sooner rather then later, as long as he doesn't go all Isbister which I don't think he will.
I actually think that would be ideal for him, to be honest. I think that having limited minutes to make an impact would be positive for his development and prevent him from being as passive when he goes over the boards. Let him work from the bottom up because he's not going to hurt you on the 4th line, but it will also put the sense of urgency on him to create something when he's out there in terms of either throwing some hits or getting involved offensively or both. Once the comfort level is established, work with where he needs to be slotted based on that.

Old
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Scorvo

Faulk, I feel like he has a great upside.

Scorvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Gr8Dan

Faulk, havent seen him play but heard he is a offensive Dman that likes to hit. A rare thing...

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Maybe it's the fact that I've been voting for Dumoulin for the last 5 threads but I decided to go with Terry. He's a guy who may not project very well, but he's been a consistent all around player for 3-4 years now. He was a pretty dominant junior player putting up big numbers while playing a defensively responsible game. Not to mention he was voted captain of the year in 08/09.

Then, come his AHL rookie season where he managed to put up numbers comparable to our better offensive prospects while playing less minutes and still playing good all around hockey. His size may not be ideal, but he has the versitility and hockey smarts to play in either our bottom six or top if all goes well. Gotta go with the Plymouth pipeline here.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Voted for the next Rich Peverley

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Osala

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:49 AM
bleedgreen

lawson. i know im going solo on this one.

a vote for chaput getting on the list.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:04 AM
totalkev

Every line projection I've ever made for this coming season has Osala making the team. I do think we're overlooking him a bit.

BUT ...

I think we've overlooked Faulk to this point, too. He should really have been a factor at about the No. 3/4 point in this voting, if we knew more about him.

Regardless, if these guys are really, truly, not just in public perception, our ninth and 10th best prospects, then the Carolina Hurricanes are going to be fine for a long time.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Regardless, if these guys are really, truly, not just in public perception, our ninth and 10th best prospects, then the Carolina Hurricanes are going to be fine for a long time.
It's weird not being in the bottom 5-10 of the organizational rankings anymore.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I feel like we're in minor-leaguer territory at this point, TBH. The chances of any player being #9 or lower on the organizational depth chart and turning out to be an NHL regular are really, really low. I just used archive.org to check the rankings back to '99 and the only guy who made it from that depth was Larose, whose career has been unusual.

Not to say it's impossible for us to score a good player out of this group, but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

edit: I voted for Peters because I think he's more likely than the rest to have an NHL career.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I feel like we're in minor-leaguer territory at this point, TBH. The chances of any player being #9 or lower on the organizational depth chart and turning out to be an NHL regular are really, really low. I just used archive.org to check the rankings back to '99 and the only guy who made it from that depth was Larose, whose career has been unusual.

Not to say it's impossible for us to score a good player out of this group, but the odds are heavily stacked against it.

edit: I voted for Peters because I think he's more likely than the rest to have an NHL career.
I think if we're talking about many other teams what you've just said is correct. However, I think that the Canes have one of the deepest prospect pools of ANYONE, and I don't think that anyone thinks that someone like Osala, Faulk, or Dumoulin won't have NHL careers.

I'll throw out a couple more names for you. Nick Dodge, he isn't even ON the list yet and it's quite possible that he starts the season on the 4th line of the Canes. Casey Borer hasn't been voted for yet, and will in all likelyhood play double-digit games with the Canes this year. Justin Shugg has been advertised as the poor man's Skinner, and if he can prove that he can produce without Hall, he could be an EXCELLENT pickup for us.

I think that we have a prospect pool with incredible amount of collective potential, so I certainly wouldn't say the odds are stacked against finding a terrific player down here. Dodge, Borer, Terry, Murphy, Faulk, Osala, Shugg, they along with everyone else all have fairly good chances of being productive on an NHL team. Will they all? No, of course not. But I'm willing to bet that 2 or more of these kids have productive NHL careers.

Old
08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

That's the odd thing with this team right now though, IMO we have depth like we've never had before. Even the one season the Canes were ranked in the top 10 of the prospect rankings it was solely off of the strength of Ladd, Johnson and Cam all being in the top 25. The depth at that point was pretty putrid even then. Even 2-3 years back we had guys like Bobby Hughes that were in our top 5. Can't say it hurts that we acquired two former firsts in Nash and Sanguinetti either, that really helps our depth in a big way. They've made the most out of the last 5 drafts, aside from the Paradis pick and a few mid-rounders. Going back before the lockout it's not often that the Canes did much of anything in the draft, nor did they properly develop what they did acquire. I think bringing Marshall Johnston aboard from the 05-06 season on was a huge help there, he was one of the guys that was instrumental in the way the Sens were built pre-lockout.