HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dale Tallon's Latest Blog

Old
08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Dale Tallon's Latest Blog

Update on the state of the Panthers.

Meanwhile, with the addition of defenseman Mike Weaver, a top penalty killer and player who logged almost 17 minutes per game for St. Louis last year, we have positioned our blueline for healthy internal competition in training camp, leading to a better overall defensive unit once the season begins in earnest in October.

If you look at our defense right now, in front of Tomas Vokoun and Scott Clemmensen, we have Bryan McCabe, Bryan Allen, Dennis Wideman, Dmitry Kulikov, Jason Garrison, Nathan Paetsch and Mike Weaver, all competing for regular playing time. They could also be pushed in camp by players such as rookie Erik Gudbranson, youngsters Keaton Ellerby and Colby Robak, and new signing Joe Callahan.

The fact is, as head coach Pete DeBoer has said even before I got here in May, we need to cultivate a competitive environment where every player feels the pressure to perform and earn their position – from first line center down to a fourth line checking forward.

The same situation exists at forward, where there could be upwards of 18 players competing for only 12 or 13 spots. Every day, from the start of camp until the end of the season, there will be pressure on our players to perform and give their all. From a GM’s perspective that’s what you need, and from a fan’s perspective, it’s going to be exciting to watch.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535706

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
panthersfan751

I completely agree with him about competition. In years past, players were just given spots and if they underperformed, they still kept their spot.

That being said, DeBoer shouldn't play favorites anymore either as he did last year by giving Campbell, Kreps, and Oreskovich ice time after it was clear they weren't playing good.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:34 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
I completely agree with him about competition. In years past, players were just given spots and if they underperformed, they still kept their spot.

That being said, DeBoer shouldn't play favorites anymore either as he did last year by giving Campbell, Kreps, and Oreskovich ice time after it was clear they weren't playing good.
Well that's not going to happen because they are all gone, lol

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Well that's not going to happen because they are all gone, lol
Thankfully that's true. Campbell and Kreps should have been demoted to the AHL or had their ice time severely reduced. It was ridiculous that they were kept up here the entire season.

Tallon is doing the right thing by bringing in competition, but a competitive environment won't work unless DeBoer shows that he will be consistent and reward players with ice time if they perform well and take away ice time from players who are underperforming.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

I think PDB has definitely played favorites in the past and maybe having a strong GM like DT is what is needed to change that with him. I doubt it is coincidence that all PDBs favorites are no longer with the team. All in all I like what DT is doing here.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
FlaPanthers7

Competition is good, but if the competition is among guys that aren't true NHL talent then it won't matter much. Once again this season comes down to "ifs" - what if Weiss can should the load again, what if Booth can come back to form, if Frolik progresses, if the 2nd line can produce with Rhino at center, what if Grabner can pot 20+ goals, if the defense can now allow 50 shots per game, etc. All ifs!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Thankfully that's true. Campbell and Kreps should have been demoted to the AHL or had their ice time severely reduced. It was ridiculous that they were kept up here the entire season.

Tallon is doing the right thing by bringing in competition, but a competitive environment won't work unless DeBoer shows that he will be consistent and reward players with ice time if they perform well and take away ice time from players who are underperforming.
I agree with most of what you say on principle, but in reality, it just isn't that simple. Campbell didn't have a two way contract, so he would be making the same amount of money in the AHL. Plus, he'd have to clear waivers, and there's a good chance some team would grab him to fill a bottom 6 role. Then you're screwed because now you have absolutely no depth for when injuries occur. Not to mention changes to the playing roster, including sending guys down, and call-ups are all GM duties. The coach cannot make those decisions.

And yeah, you can sit guys, and i think he should've have sat a few guys at times, or at least demoted them to he 4th line during games etc... But at some point, lacking depth is lacking depth. And when the players know there's no one to realistically call up, it just doesn't seem like a realistic consequence.

As Tallon says, at the end of camp there could be 5 forwards finding themselves without an NHL spot. Now, i hope those are guys we would expect to be in the AHL, but if its not, then it should be a huuuuge wake up call for them. It's a good problem to have, really.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:51 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I wouldn't call Kreps a favorite of Deboer's by any stretch... maybe he just had to keep him up here for some reason, like hoping someone would see something in him and take a trade.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
I'm not sure he was playing favorites, it's just that there just wasn't any other option. I mean we could have switched guys out (Kreps, etc.) but the guys we could bring in (Taffe, etc.) were basically a downgrade from what we had.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote