Kitchener Rangers Off-Season Thread

Old
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I agree Kitchener looks like the team to beat, but so much will depend on the guys who may or may not stick in the NHL. Skinner getting picked so early has to be somewhat bittersweet, as he's far more likely to stick going to one of the lesser NHL teams. I would imagine that's the elephant in the room for Kitchener fans. If he comes back they are for sure the team to beat, if he doesn't they'll still be solid but not as terrifying for other teams.
Jughead, that might be the first and only thing you've posted that I agree completely with. You're absolutely correct - Skinner's status is a huge factor for the Rangers this year. Morin to a lesser extent (mainly due to the fact that it's Chicago), but if Skinner sticks with the Canes, it hurts Kitchener a lot.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
With Melchiori and Sol, I dont see Mayfield coming this year unless more dealing is to be done with the D....in no particular pairings
Murphy is going nowhere,
Sol new acquisition
Jasper
Melchiori new acquisition
Fanelli here if healthy
Stevens, Morris and Lowry fighting for a spot
and then there is the new addition of McEneny

Lots of bodies for 7 spots.

I think you may be right about Mayfield. Too Bad!

Our defense is looking not too bad right about now.

Barring any other changes, here is my roster of eight d-men:

Murphy - 93
Melchiori - 92
Sol - 91
Jasper - 91
Braun - 92
Dodero - 92
Fanelli - 93
McEneny- -94

I've gone with 8 since I believe we always have 8 d-men and 13-14 forwards on the roster.

We haven't seen Melchiori play a game yet, but considering that, we have quite the dropoff from our #1 and #2 d-men. Melchiori may walk right in and be a genuine top pairing d-man on a Memorial Cup contender, but until we see him, I'd like to err on the side of caution and say that we need another high end veteran d-man.

Perhaps Spott will get that very good OA d-man once eveyone comes back from the pros.

I think that Dodero, Stevens, and Lowry are all worthy of a spot in the 5-6 hole, but since there isn't a lot of room, I elected to go with Dodero mainly due to age.

I still don't believe that Morris is in the Rangers' plans. If he was, I'd have him ahead of Stevens and Lowry (age) but the fact that Spott added three d-men today tells me that with a grand total of 11 (I think) d-men signed, there isn't room for Morris. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is even at camp.

I'm placing Braun in the spot I would have placed Morris going into camp. Age again the factor but I also believe Spott acquired him for a reason. Maybe he or the scouting staff like what they've seen of him.

IMO, Fanelli comes into this season as a rookie and will have to fight his way onto the starting six. If he becomes the player he was touted to be coming into last season, he should be able to bump Dodero out of the top six.

Sol is a good top 4 guy but I don't believe he is a #2 guy. That's why I believe we'll need to deal for a veteran guy who can step into the #2 spot - and I don't mean the likes of Fowler or Ellis. I'd like to see someone come in who can do the job that Dan Kelly did last year. This would drop Jasper down to the 5th spot. He could do for the Rangers what TJ Eason did in 02-03 as a fifth guy - a solid stay at home type who could move up in the event of injury.

The guy that comes to mind is Windsor's Mark Cundari. Would he ever be made available IF he were returned to junior? Probably not since they aim to contend again this year.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Jughead, that might be the first and only thing you've posted that I agree completely with.
I take it back.

In regards to Cundari, you'll find the odd crazy Spit fan who'd say Windsor would trade him if he's returned but I don't think that would happen. It would be more likely they deal Cantin in my opinion. I think its a moot point, I doubt Cundari comes back for an OA season.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

In regards to Cundari, you'll find the odd crazy Spit fan who'd say Windsor would trade him if he's returned but I don't think that would happen. It would be more likely they deal Cantin in my opinion. I think its a moot point, I doubt Cundari comes back for an OA season.

I doubt Cundari comes back either. But Timmins and Mitchell were unexpected as well!

Also, if Cundari does not come back, wouldn't the Spits keep Cantin as their OA d-man?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
jughead42

Oh for sure. I was just saying if Cundari comes back Cantin would be the odd man out, not Cundari.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Oh for sure. I was just saying if Cundari comes back Cantin would be the odd man out, not Cundari.
If Cundari and Cantin were both back I think Johnston or Wallace will gone before either of them. A younger team will need all the experience they can get on D.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

According to Loosepucks, Kitchener Rangers officially sign 2010 first round pick Matia Marcantuoni.

http://twitter.com/loosepucks

Great work by Spotter this week!

Old
08-05-2010, 12:01 AM
JeffYear92*

Thank you Steve Spot.

I have a feeling Stevens will be traded.

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
BenchedGuy

Great to see Matia finally signed. Would have to think with his speed and hands that he's on the second line.

I still see some moves coming to bring in some toughness up front, and I can see a guy like Lowry being moved to a 4th line winger for some energy. He played a few games (shifts) in the post season on wing last year.

I see Stevens or Doedero as the odd guy out being moved. Personally I hope Doedero stays.

A question I have for others, who takes the OA spots?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Great to see Matia finally signed. Would have to think with his speed and hands that he's on the second line.

I still see some moves coming to bring in some toughness up front, and I can see a guy like Lowry being moved to a 4th line winger for some energy. He played a few games (shifts) in the post season on wing last year.

I see Stevens or Doedero as the odd guy out being moved. Personally I hope Doedero stays.

A question I have for others, who takes the OA spots?
It's not an easy one - Akeson, Tipoff and Mascioli all bring different things to the table. I could see Akeson being more attractive to other teams than the other two, and bringing a better return. If Skinner and Morin both return, he could be made available. If one is kept by his NHL team, then I think he stays.

Tipoff is a mystery - there are times I love his game and there are times he completely vanishes. But I think he sticks around to ride shotgun on the kid line.

Mascioli is the easiest one to peg as on his way out, but I doubt he'll bring much in a trade. It would be great if he played his brains out the first part of the year, allowing Spott to deal him mid-season.

Old
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Guy

vCash: 412
Hey guys, here's an interview with a scout on the likelihood of Skinner playing in Carolina next year. Personally, I think he'll get the 9 game tryout and be back with you guys this upcoming season. If so, I will be coming up for a game when the Canes play in Toronto.

Quote:
Can you give your opinions on Jeff Skinner in terms of NHL readiness? Do you feel he could use another year in major junior, or would he be better served jumping right in? We saw it happen with Brandon Sutter because Red Deer was in horrible shape that year. Are the Kitchener Rangers (Skinner's OHL team) in a similar situation? Also can you give your view on him being a wing or a center? Skinner has said he prefers center but has played wing in tournaments. Do you feel he would be better served moving over, especially given the centers the organization has? (from aphillips)

Giese: The Hurricanes are in a nice spot with Skinner. In many ways he's ready for the NHL and would most definitely score enough goals this year (especially on the power play) to justify him staying with the big club out of camp. But at the same time if he goes back to Kitchener, he's going to a great program with a good supporting cast and he could work on further developing his skating and defensive play. Either way, expect Skinner to get the nine-game tryout and the Canes can take it from there. At the NHL level Skinner is going to play the wing. He doesn't have the range or defensive skills to line up against the premiere centers in the league. Plus Carolina already has their franchise center in Eric Staal, so Skinner is a lock to play the wing in the NHL. Goal scorers like Skinner are rare to find, and you don't want to overwhelm him with other responsibilities that come with playing center in the pro game. His game is tailored for the wing in the NHL and he should develop into a dominant scorer at that position.
http://www.canescountry.com/2010/8/4...nswers-to-your

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post
Hey guys, here's an interview with a scout on the likelihood of Skinner playing in Carolina next year. Personally, I think he'll get the 9 game tryout and be back with you guys this upcoming season. If so, I will be coming up for a game when the Canes play in Toronto.

http://www.canescountry.com/2010/8/4...nswers-to-your
Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping that Skinner is sent back - it won't do him any harm to play another year of junior, round out his game, play in the WJC, and hopefully lead Kitchener to a strong run for the Memorial Cup.

Old
08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Someone on Rangersrush found this, and I thought it should be here too -- great picture!

Quote:
USA's Jeremy Morin gets into a shoving match with Sweden's Gabriel Landeskog Tuesday during a faceoff in exhibition play at the National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid. Morin and Landeskog were teammates for the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League last year.

Old
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Someone on Rangersrush found this, and I thought it should be here too -- great picture!

Great Picture, thanks!!

Gabe doesn't look too bother by Morin's attempt to get him out of the way.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I think you may be right about Mayfield. Too Bad!

Our defense is looking not too bad right about now.

Barring any other changes, here is my roster of eight d-men:

Murphy - 93
Melchiori - 92
Sol - 91
Jasper - 91
Braun - 92
Dodero - 92
Fanelli - 93
McEneny- -94
One player to add is Jesse Young. Since he's 16 years old and American I believe he has to play for the Rangers. I dunno if he can play in the USHL or not?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
One player to add is Jesse Young. Since he's 16 years old and American I believe he has to play for the Rangers. I dunno if he can play in the USHL or not?
He can play in US Midget, or in Canada Tier 2 or JrB.

I cant see him playing for Kitchener.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:06 AM
EvenSteven

I forgot we had signed Young. But to be honest, I doubt he plays much of a role on this year's team. If we are to be a championship contender, the majority of our defense will be as seasoned and veteran as can be.

I'd expect to see him, and McEneny for that matter, seeing considerable time at JrB. With these guys signed, I'd expect the Rangers to keep them playing close to Kitchener in an effort to allow them to practice regularly with the big team.

There's nothing wrong with playing 40-50 games at the B level, practicing regularly with the Rangers, and getting in a dozen or so games as well throughout the season. It didn't hurt Matt Pepe's game and that's how he was introduced to the Rangers!

Old
08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
RangerRed

We're forgetting that the Rangers just signed an affiliation agreement with the Georgetown Raiders of the CCHL. I might expect to see McEneny there, but he was impressive at rookie camp, so he might be the 6th/7th D. Young will very likely play with the Raiders. I would expect he'll be joined by some of our other prospects like Keli Grant, Braeden Russell, Curtis Meighan and likely one of Eric Ming or Zach Lorentz.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:58 PM
bobermay

D'Amigo signing a contract with the Leafs?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...s-damigo090810

If so, its very possible he spends a year in Kitchener...

A line of Skinner and D'Amigo could do a LOT of Damage.

Last edited by bobermay: 08-09-2010 at 02:27 PM.
bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
D'Amigo signing a contract with the Leafs?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...s-damigo090810

If so, its very possible he spends a year in Kitchener...

A lone of Skinner and D'Amigo could do a LOT of Damage.

These might be better links:
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...s-damigo090810
Quote:
Forward Jerry D’Amigo will soon be trading in his collegiate red for the blue and white of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
American Jerry D'Amigo is expected to sign with Leafs this week.
THE CANADIAN PRESS/Geoff Howe

According to multiple sources, the Leafs draft pick is slated to sign his first NHL contract as early as this Wednesday. Once signed to the three-year entry-level deal, the American-born left-winger would lose his NCAA eligibility, so he’d either have to play in the AHL with Toronto Marlies or be sent to the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers, who hold his Canadian Hockey League rights.

D’Amigo, 19, was taken in the sixth round (158th overall) of the 2009 NHL draft by the Leafs and was among the standouts during their last month’s orientation camp n Toronto. He took part in that earlier summer camp to protect his NCAA eligibility, which would have precluded him from taking part in the team’s main training camp this fall.

The Rangers drafted D’Amigo in the 2007 OHL draft, but he chose to join the hockey program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., which is roughly two hours west of his hometown of Binghamton, N.Y.

As a freshman, he was among the top scorers with RPI and was named the Eastern College Athletic Conference rookie of the year. While with the NCAA school, the six-foot, 210-pound winger scored 10 goals and added 24 assists in 35 games with the Engineers.

“He always puts numbers on the board,” said one U.S.-based scout. “It was a complete and utter steal to get him where the Leafs got him (in the sixth round).

Prior to joining RPI, D’Amigo spent two seasons with the U.S. National Development Program, winning gold with the U.S. under-18 squad. He also a big part of Team USA’s gold-medal winning squad at the 2010 world junior hockey championship in Saskatchewan. D’Amigo tied with Canadian forward Taylor Hall as the third-leading scorer at the tournament with six goals and six assists for 12 points.

“He’s pure energy,” said the scout. “He’s a world-class player and he’s shown that at every tournament he’s played in for the U.S.”
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-261218
Quote:
Kitchener Rangers coach-GM Steve Spott has a little work left before he's playing five-card stud with seven cards in his hand, but this is a big one.

Adding Jerry D'Amigo, the sixth-round steal and Team USA standout who is leaving Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to sign with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, is a big building block for the Rangers. It also fits in with how Kitchener, gearing up for a run at the MasterCard Memorial Cup after losing the final on home ice the last time it was held in Ontario, has to go about its goals in a context of NHL organizations plucking away teenage players.

D'Amigo, 19, who last season beat out a more highly publicized defector from the NCAA, Harvard-turned-Montreal Juniors forward Louis Leblanc, for ECAC rookie of the year honours, is a great backup plan, if that's what he turns outto be. He could provide a top-end scorer to either complement or replace his U.S. world junior teammate Jeremy Morin, who could be jumped to the American Hockey League by the Chicago Blackhawks — whom you might have noticed are short of players in their system all of a sudden.

(D'Amigo and Morin, both 19, are each eligible for the AHL since neither was in the CHL at the time they were drafted.)

It's important to view this as one of a series of moves for Spott. The Rangers could probably still use a stronger No. 2 centre to helm the line that hops over the boards after Carolina Hurricanes first-round pick Jeff Skinner's line. The present options are undrafted 19-year-old Michael Catenacci and rookie Matia Marcantuoni.

D'Amigo helps furnish a little roster flexibility. Along with the prospect of Morin leaving, Jason Akeson (80 points last season) and Matthew Tipoff (63 between the Rangers and Belleville Bulls) are in that 20-year-old player's state of flux between turning pro or trying to get a championship ring in junior.

The Rangers, who need no reminder they let a 3-0 series lead get away against Windsor in what amounted to the real OHL final last season, still have have a stable of scoring wingers in top 2011 draft prospect Gabriel Landeskog and import pick Tobi Rieder.
What's to be expected from D'Amigo in the OHL?

Some might seize on the fact he beat out Leblanc for the ECAC honour (say whatever you want about the calibre of the ECAC, but the two were competing on a level playing field). D'Amigo, within the past 12 months, has also proven the equal or better of a higher-drafted American player in the Maple Leafs system, Kenny Ryan, who left Boston College last season to earn a Memorial Cup ring with those aforementioned Spitfires.

"Ryan was one of many good players on the Memorial Cup champion Windsor Spitfires. D'Amigo beat out Ryan for a spot on the U.S. team that won gold in Saskatchewan at the word junior championships.

"D'Amigo turned into a force in that series by being among the tournament leaders in scoring with six goals and six assists including a key third-period goal against Canada in the gold-medal game that went to overtime. He was player of the game twice." (Toronto Star, July 5)

Ultimately, Spott has a good base to work from heading into the start of the season, depending what happens to Morin or the 20-year-old returnees. Between this and adding 19-year-old Atlanta Thrashers defence prospect Julian Melchiori, the Rangers sure have made their intentions known.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-09-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

While we're still in the rumour zone, this is the closest D'Amigo has come to Kitchener yet.

Come on Leafs... send him to Kitchener for the year! A year playing alongside his buddy Jeremy Morin would do him well!

Old
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
jughead42

Time to get out my Steve Spott voodoo doll again to make sure D'Amigo ends up with the Marlies.

Edit:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...r-the-right-r/

My voodoo powers are stronger than I expected! Now to work on the Canes keeping Skinner......

Last edited by jughead42: 08-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Time to get out my Steve Spott voodoo doll again to make sure D'Amigo ends up with the Marlies.

Edit:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...r-the-right-r/

My voodoo powers are stronger than I expected! Now to work on the Canes keeping Skinner......
GROW UP!
He may not have any interest in playing for the Rangers, but he may have no choice if he signs and doesn't make the Marlies? A guy can dream, right? Plus, you've had your turn on top. Didn't you learn in Kindergarten to share?

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
GROW UP!
He may not have any interest in playing for the Rangers, but he may have no choice if he signs and doesn't make the Marlies? A guy can dream, right? Plus, you've had your turn on top. Didn't you learn in Kindergarten to share?
Actually, it's probably more like D'Amigo trying to soften the blow to the coach by saying he's going to the Maple Leafs while in actual fact he's not.

"Coach, I have a chance to play pro with the Maple Leafs"

or

"Coach, I'm signing with the Leafs but will probably be assigned to Kitchener in the OHL"

Latest from Hicks...
http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_r...ry-damigo.html
Quote:

Report from Schenectady paper says he's gonna sign with the Leafs and leave RPI.

The Rangers are a real possibility for the US world junior standout.

More in Tuesday's Record.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
GROW UP!
I vaguely remember learning about sharing when I was in Kindergarten. Isn't that where somebody else gives me stuff for no apparent reason? I'll take another Mem cup then, thanks!

Hey, I'm a Leafs fan so part of me would love to get a look at Jerry up close and personal playing for the Rangers this season. He looks like quite the dynamic player, and it would be good for the league. But I'm also a selfish little bugger who wants his team to linger on top for a little while longer if possible. 20 years of substandard hockey and frustration will do that to a guy.

I think the Leafs are signing him just so they don't lose him like they will lose Bill Sweatt as an unsigned college player. He'll probably be given a shot to make the Marlies, or even the Leafs out of training camp but I'm sure Burke would have no issues with him playing for the Rangers if he's not up to snuff yet. The Leafs did return Mitchell to the Spits for their run last year instead of putting him in the AHL so perhaps they'll do the same with D'Amigo.