HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Fan Beer Thread

Old
08-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Yea, Canadian lawmakers should be shot... They tax the hell out of beer. Most places outside the US the beer is as cheap as the soft drinks... at times even cheaper that Coke and Pepsi which are imports or priced as such even if bottled locally... But with Canada it is better to bring in your own beer, even if it is Canadian imports bought in the US, to avoid the tax, as I see it.
Lol Heineken beer is € 2 in Dublin ! How much for a Bud in Canada?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Komarov47

Delicious !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:28 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
PBR is like my "anyday" beer.
Dogfish Head "Red & White", best craft beer Ive had in the past 6 months.

Other honorable mentions:
Weyerbacher "Merry Monks"
Dogfish Head "120 Minute IPA"
Delerium Tremens
Chimay (prefer Blue)

Whats in a name?

^^ GIMMIE THAT ****ING ORC BLOOD!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Yea, Canadian lawmakers should be shot... They tax the hell out of beer. Most places outside the US the beer is as cheap as the soft drinks... at times even cheaper that Coke and Pepsi which are imports or priced as such even if bottled locally... But with Canada it is better to bring in your own beer, even if it is Canadian imports bought in the US, to avoid the tax, as I see it.
Not entirely true, really depends where you're going... alcohol is rather expensive in the UK due to the taxes on it, especially if you compare it to most of the stuff on the Continent. Much of the price disparity is driven by the fact that economies outside the US tend to be significantly weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Believe me, im sure Yuengling isnt the creme de la creme of beers in the area.

I plan on going to that Beer Week Festival type thing they have every year in Philly. Should be a good time.
Not just the area, Philly is a major beer importer. The most Belgian beer in the world consumed outside of Belgium is here in Philly. Truly is a great city if you enjoy beer. My only complaint is that we need to get some more German joints.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Stone is the only correct answer in this thread thus far.

But seriously, get your hands on one of these, and die happy.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
This has got me very excited:

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
Stone is the only correct answer in this thread thus far.

But seriously, get your hands on one of these, and die happy.
They are building a brewery in Germany and getting ready to really put the American microbrew industry on the map over there. Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Old
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Tried this on travel last week:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bouleva...heat-beer/114/

---

Stockholm, Stone IPA is my favorite beer hands down, and I haven't found ones that match. I love IPA's. Sam Adams Latitude 49 is great too, IMO.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Not entirely true, really depends where you're going... alcohol is rather expensive in the UK due to the taxes on it, especially if you compare it to most of the stuff on the Continent. Much of the price disparity is driven by the fact that economies outside the US tend to be significantly weaker.
I made a blanket statement I suppose... although I did say most... Taxes for whatever reason, money maker or sin-tax, can greatly increase beer/alcohol costs and is a killer.

The places outside the US in some cases have weaker economy, such as Mexico... but it is also often the case where the currency is stronger. Europe is a prime example... IMO, no study made by me on this, the way they look at drinking is quite different than in the US; they do not drink to get drunk nor to party. A drink with meals or socially is a way of life... Some places wine with a meal is looked at as a healthy thing and the norm. Beer for example is no big deal and is reasonable, especially the local product... On the other hand soda is not the thing it is here and Coke and Pepsi is at a premium... This it is cheaper to have a huge bottle of Peroni in the Italian lakes than it is to order a diet coke. At Capri I order a beer and the wife ordered a diet cola. When the bill came it was clear she should of had a glass of wine with lunch as her Diet Coke was much higher than my local draught.

Now, if a country were to tax drinks, the story would be different... but even with a strong Euro, when the locals do not penalize drinking and think of it as a way of life, beer drinking is the way to go.

In Mexico and party resorts most places, they want people to drink... and fleece them on other fronts. Of course Mexico's Peso has always been weak and that helps no matter what.

As I said though, this is merely my observations and thinking... and should not be taken as a blanket statement about the entire World.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Not entirely true, really depends where you're going... alcohol is rather expensive in the UK due to the taxes on it
Ever been to Sweden?
People in the south of sweden travel to germany to buy swedish beer at 1/4th of the price we pay at home
Luckily there are people that travel to germany on a weekly basis just to buy cheap beer/alcohol and sell back home. I have only been to the liquor store once in my life and i'm never going there again.

Oh and my favorite beer is Heineken, preferably from a bottle.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
Ever been to Sweden?
People in the south of sweden travel to germany to buy swedish beer at 1/4th of the price we pay at home
Luckily there are people that travel to germany on a weekly basis just to buy cheap beer/alcohol and sell back home. I have only been to the liquor store once in my life and i'm never going there again.

Oh and my favorite beer is Heineken, preferably from a bottle.
I have not been to Sweden, but I have heard about the treks to get cheaper boos. I know someone that has been on the ferry that everyone is on... they described it as a bit depressing.

Germany is an interesting case because beer consumption is so intrinsically viewed as a cultural right, that *ing with the cost of a beer is a MAJOR issue.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
SteveH

Quote:
They are building a brewery in Germany and getting ready to really put the American microbrew industry on the map over there. Will be very interesting to see what happens.
That's interesting news. Do you have a link to an article somewhere?

Also, if you're in the south jersey area, I'd recommend stopping by the larger Canals store and jumping on the growler bandwagon. It's a great way to sample different styles and breweries reasonably cheaply.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That's interesting news. Do you have a link to an article somewhere?

Also, if you're in the south jersey area, I'd recommend stopping by the larger Canals store and jumping on the growler bandwagon. It's a great way to sample different styles and breweries reasonably cheaply.
The food section over on The Atlantic website had an article up about it relatively recently, if you head over there and do a search it'll probably pop up.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:32 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
The food section over on The Atlantic website had an article up about it relatively recently, if you head over there and do a search it'll probably pop up.
I'm not a beer guy, but Colorado dominates. Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Breck, etc....

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Im 20 years old. A very responsible adult.

I have never been drunk in my life, but thats because am not a big fan of alcohol.

That being said, I do like the taste of a good beer and have been able to taste a few beers here and there. I can honestly say the only one that does anything for me is Yuengling.

I LOVE the taste of it. Also, honorable mention to Landshark when sitting on the beach, or just a hot day.

But I turn 21 in a few months, and will surely be trying more of these. I here Golden Monkey is great, but after about 2 beers you can get EASILY hammered, especially if you are like me and have built almost no tolerance to alcohol.

But beer is delicious (had to throw that in).

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
reverend duder

Quote:
i dont think stone is gonna work over in germany. i tried all the stone's several times and i think its all over done. its like they try to put as much as then can in each brew, and it just comes out muddled and with no direction of flavor. imo, stone isn't a very good sample of american microbrews. i wish them well though.

reverend duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Villedelphia*

very good witbier

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Villedelphia*

the world’s finest Oatmeal Stout is brewed in Troy, NY..took home a Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup held in San Diego, April 2004

Brown's Brewing Co. is the ****. Stop by river street if you ever find yourself in Troy

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 08-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
I'm not a beer guy, but Colorado dominates. Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Breck, etc....
Colorado has some good beer (Blue Moon is actually owned by Coors, though...), but they most definitely do not "dominate." The Northwest has some absolutely stellar breweries (Rogue leaps immediately to mind as one of my personal favorites), and the Northeast isn't lacking for a slew of very very good breweries. Just in the region around Philly we have some absolutely stellar breweries that can punch with anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend duder View Post
i dont think stone is gonna work over in germany. i tried all the stone's several times and i think its all over done. its like they try to put as much as then can in each brew, and it just comes out muddled and with no direction of flavor. imo, stone isn't a very good sample of american microbrews. i wish them well though.
I tend to agree, I'm not overly enamored with Stone, but they're certainly a better representative of American breweries than Budweiser, Miller, etc. We can do better, but the problem there is that part of being a small craft brewery is that... you're a small craft brewery, and international expansion is a bit outside your reach.

When I was living over in Scotland you could get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and I think that was about it if you weren't talking about the major labels. And I was in St Andrews, which has the big time tourist attraction factor which got you a lot more diversity than you would find elsewhere.

Old
08-10-2010, 07:53 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post

very good witbier
Saranac all around is a great brand. Horribly underrated.

Old
08-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post

the world’s finest Oatmeal Stout is brewed in Troy, NY..took home a Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup held in San Diego, April 2004

Brown's Brewing Co. is the ****. Stop by river street if you ever find yourself in Troy
If Brown's is better than Samuel Smith's, it must be fantastic... Will have to try it.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5...eal_stout.html

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
agrudez*

I started my beer days on Yeungling and Coors Light and have since found beer that actually tastes good:

Stella Artois is my favorite and when I find it on tap at a fancier type restaurant I usually drop the 4-5 bucks a glass on it.

Blue Moon is next and since it is more commonly found then Stella Artois is my most consumed (by a wide margin). Recently I found a place that sells the Blue Moon Honey on tap (Champp's in Marlton, NJ), it is like an orgy in your mouth.

Heineken is my fall back because EVERYONE has Heineken and when I go somewhere that I don't research to make sure they have Blue Moon before hand it is nice to have a backup.

Due to some people here saying Hoegarden > Blue Moon I am going to go buy the biggest pack I can find on my way home from Canal's and use tonight to test the theory by getting smashed playing Xbox. Any others I should pick up with similar tastes?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I started my beer days on Yeungling and Coors Light and have since found beer that actually tastes good:

Stella Artois is my favorite and when I find it on tap at a fancier type restaurant I usually drop the 4-5 bucks a glass on it.

Blue Moon is next and since it is more commonly found then Stella Artois is my most consumed (by a wide margin). Recently I found a place that sells the Blue Moon Honey on tap (Champp's in Marlton, NJ), it is like an orgy in your mouth.

Heineken is my fall back because EVERYONE has Heineken and when I go somewhere that I don't research to make sure they have Blue Moon before hand it is nice to have a backup.

Due to some people here saying Hoegarden > Blue Moon I am going to go buy the biggest pack I can find on my way home from Canal's and use tonight to test the theory by getting smashed playing Xbox. Any others I should pick up with similar tastes?
Just start drinking witbiers until you get through 'em.

Old
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
This has got me very excited:

ahha just picked up a Coors Light one... (which is my everyday beer.. cheap easy blah blah blah)

WIN!

...I like almost all of their lineups... very fruity beers, but god damn are they tasty!

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
...I like almost all of their lineups... very fruity beers, but god damn are they tasty!
I thought the total opposite. I've tried a few of their beers and they've all tasted watered down compared to others. Kind of bland.