HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What is your preference?

View Poll Results: What is your preference?
I like to play with teammates that are lesser than me 6 10.71%
I like to play with teammates that are better than me 50 89.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
94now

vCash: 500
What is your preference?

Do you prefer to play with players that are better than you, or you would like to be on the team where you are among the best?

Answers " I like to play with equals" do not apply.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I prefer to be one of the better players because I'm lazy and out of shape.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

I usually just play with myself.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I like to be at least reasonably good compared to my peers. Being the worst on the ice sucks.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Nice... Didn't I preclude such an answer?

Old
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
noobman

It depends.

I like playing AGAINST people better than me, but I like playing WITH a team where I'm one of the better guys (though it rarely happens because I suck). It gives me a chance to play my style of game, which is to try and lure players out of position in their defensive zone before hitting the open man with a pass. I'm a puck possession kind of guy, and I like teammates that believe in cycling down low.

When I play with guys better than me, it's usually just a matter of getting in position and waiting for the pass.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
me too

but when i join a league i want be able to hold my own but around player who are better so it will motivate me to be better

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
ponder

I wouldn't want to be one of the worst players on my team. I prefer playing with and against people around my skill level, but if I had to chose between being one of the worst or one of the best on my team, I'd rather be one of the best, assuming we're still talking about a decent level of play. If we're talking about guys who are WAY worse, like a team full of beginners, that's just not fun, and in that case I'd rather be the worst on a stacked team, at least it would still be hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
DevilsFan38

I like both. On one team I play for I'm one of the best players, and on the other team I'm one of the worst. I think you get different things out of playing with different skill levels.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

My work ethic, willingness to muck it up in the corners, and better than average skating speed allowed me to be a role player on some excellent hockey teams. It made me 10 times better that I ever would have been if I stuck to leagues where I was one of the best on my team.

Now that I play purely for fun I don't want to work that hard.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

I also like both situations. I like being a better player sometimes and I also like playing against better players. I think that playing against better players, makes you better.

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I was one of the better players on m team last season. I spent half of last season player with lessers and half playing top line with our captain and one of our top scorers.

I much preferred playing with the better players.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I like playing with players less than myself. If I know I am (one of) the best than I am 100% comfortable handling the puck, making key decisions... basically running the show and quarterbacking things (which is honestly when I'm at my best). If I am afraid that I'm worse or just middle of the pack, I tend not to hold on to the puck as much and not play MY game and instead become to focused on "keeping up" to be at my most effective. Having played DI when I was in school, I'm not often in the second situation, but I know that whenever I'm not among the top 3-4 guys on the ice, I stop playing my game.

When I'm one of the better players I get to control the flow of play and in turn I'm able to create tons of opportunities for myself and my teammates. For example, I'll hold on to the puck, carry it up the ice, make a move at the blue line, drive wide, cut towards the net and ultimately draw a defender leaving someone open on the doorstep and than I'll make a quick dish. If I think I'm more middle of the pack I'm likely to dump and chase or throw it on net as I come across the blueline.

Could I have maybe made the same play as before? Yep, even if it's against the same defenders in both situations (meaning I could clearly do the same thing) I just get it in my head that I shouldn't be making those kinds of plays and should be letting the better guys handle the puck more.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
densetsu

I've played seasons in both situations, and had much more fun playing at a moderately higher skill level than below it. My reasoning for it:

(a) It's a challenge; it drives me to become better, and my more experienced teammates (and sometimes opponents) have tips for me to help improve.

(b) They play smart, play their position, and typically do the right thing. As such, you learn to play smart as well.

(c) When I do win and/or do well against opponents tiered higher than me, it's a much stronger feeling of accomplishment.

(d) I'd rather play in a fast-paced, high-level game than a boring, slow game.

(e) Kind of greedy, but as a goalie, I'd rather the average skill level of our opponents be higher than our team's skill level. I love being pelted with dozens upon dozens of shots, even if it means we lose. I hate games where our team dominates and I only face a handful of shots.

And finally, in my experiences, higher-tiered players tend to be more relaxed and calm. Lower-tiered players tend to take things too seriously, lose their temper, and throw tantrums. There's certainly examples where a high-tiered player lost control, or a low-tiered player just walked away from a situation... but this is my observation in general.

Last edited by densetsu: 08-10-2010 at 12:19 PM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm on two teams now and I'm a top 2 or 3 player on each team, so I don't really know. I certainly wouldn't want to be the worst player on a team, and I do enjoy being one of the best, but I haven't tried playing on better teams yet.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Cowbell232

Depends on my mood and confidence and what situation.

There are times when I'm feeling really strong with the puck and maybe it's an open clinic or something like that and I want to help people around me get better.

Then there are game situations in leagues where I want to play around people who are better so I can play faster and be pushed harder.

08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Savante

I like having control over what I can control. If I'm one of the best players on the team, if we lose, it's often because the rest of the team couldn't step up. If I'm one of the worst players, I can chip in by hustling, doing dirty work, passing, playing good D and being in the right position. Even if my skills aren't top notch, I can contribute in other ways.

Savante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

If I could vote I would vote Lesser.

I play 3 levels, the top level, which I play defense, I am just average, nothing more, and there are quite a few players that are much faster and better then me. But I learned to know my limits so I stay in good position.

I play in a lower level, which I play defense also, I am one of the better defenseman and one of the better players on the team but I do not dominate in any way.

And I also play in a lower level with my old HS buddies. The players are not terrible in the league but I do have an advantage in skating and stickhandling in this level, I play offense in this level and i've led the league in points/goals the past 4 seasons (not this year, down year for me, only on pace for just over a Goal a Game, usually been 1.75 goals a game.).

I enjoy the playing with lower level teammates and have to be look upon to score and help the team. I don't feel as important in the higher levels.

Last edited by Jumbo*: 08-11-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Both. I also like a good mixture inbetween - when both sides are even.

The players that I'm playing with I don't mind being all less than me, ONLY when most know how to skate, play and set up basic hockey plays (i.e.: pass once in the zone and go to the font of the net, or, move to a open position for a pass or when looking for a pass, always keep moving around). When I play with mostly plugs on my side - the ones that just skate around and stand around looking for a pass - aggravates me and bores the **** out of me. It makes me feel and starat playing like garbage... Especially when you try making something happen and you go in one-on-five entering the zone because your teammates on the ice are take five seconds to start skating after standing in the defensive zone flat-footed...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Razzmatazz

Honestly, I like being one of the better players, but I'm not that good, and I don't think I can carry a team at any level yet. Sometimes when you play with people who are way out of your league, particularly in pickups, the other guys just ignore you, playing as though you aren't there, which gets kind of frustrating; you fumble one pass and you don't see another pass for the rest of the game.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:31 PM
pass the bisk

I always liked to play with players better than me. How can you get better playing with worse players?

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
goalscorer

I like playing with guys better than me. I consider myself to be good. I played NA juniors and college club. I'm too competitive. I like having teammates that know what they are doing and can "play" the game. If I'm the best on my team, I tend to try to do too much. I have no confidence that my teammates will do their jobs and end up trying to do everything and get frustrated.

Playing against better competition is also more fun IMO. I start doing silly stuff or try to do too much when I think the other team is below my skill level. The perfect mix would be equal skill sets on both teams. That's the most fun, challenging and rewarding for me.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I like both. On one team I play for I'm one of the best players, and on the other team I'm one of the worst. I think you get different things out of playing with different skill levels.
kinda agree. If you go too low its just god damn frustrating. guys don't know what to do or where to be. But then you do get to work on selfish aspects of your game.

That said I much prefer playing with guys around or above my level, its more competitive and helps you to learn and get better. I play a B, C+, and D league. The B and C+ are the most fun.

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Steelhead16

Play with better, get better.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Play with better, get better.
That is not true. You can get better being the best on your team. Besides, if you want to get better, playing is not the best way to get there. Practice is.