HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - Second Line Right Wing

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2nd line RW?
Vinny Prospal 14 12.73%
Ryan Callahan 20 18.18%
Evgeny Grachev 1 0.91%
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen 74 67.27%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Sean Avery 1 0.91%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
People keep saying Callahan can score 30 goals... Based on what? He will never score 30 goals, ever, in the NHL.

He lacks the hands and shot to do it.

He's had a tremendous amount of ice time the last two years and he didn't do it. He played what, 18 ATOI last year and only scored 19 goals.

He is NOT a 30 goal scorer.

If he ever scores 20 goals again, I'd be thrilled.

Once guys like Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, start to arrive later this year, especially if we keep Frolov, Callahan won't sniff the the top 6, and that means his minutes and production will take a hit.

Callahan is a fine player, but he is not a 30 goal scorer.

Hovering around 20 goals is a fine number for Callahan.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just finished my 3rd hockey game in 24 hours...im too tired to make a new one. ill do it sometime tomorrow zzzzzzzzzzzz

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
People keep saying Callahan can score 30 goals... Based on what? He will never score 30 goals, ever, in the NHL.

He's had a tremendous amount of ice time the last two years and he didn't do it. He played what, 18 ATOI last year and only scored 19 goals.

Once guys like Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, start to arrive later this year, especially if we keep Frolov, Callahan won't sniff the the top 6, and that means his minutes and production will take a hit.

Yea, because players don't ever improve their statistics after the age of 25. He scored 22 goals in 08-09 without anything remotely resembling a playmaking center. Scoring 8 more goals than that is so far out of the question? Get real. I don't know why you're trying to make such a bold statement about this, but you're way off base.

I'll agree that Cally is more of a 15-20 goal scorer than a 30 goal scorer, but if he scores 30 5 times in his career, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked. Cally does all the little things right and his shot is definitely NHL-caliber. He's not as adept at getting his shot off, unblocked, and getting into an area to use his shot all the time, but if he scored 22 goals on the 2nd and 3rd lines as a 23 year old on a offensively-challenged team without a true playmaker, I think it's absurd to say outright "He'll never score 30 goals in the NHL, ever." He lacks the hands and shot to do so? That has no basis, whatsoever. His hands and shot are average if not slightly above. He's a solid all-around player. He doesn't really have a weakness. He's not elite at anything, but he's above average at hitting and forechecking, and he's good at just about everything else.

If you were to label him as a player, the label wouldn't be "goal-scorer." It would be heart-and-soul, hustle, leader, forechecker, hitter, etc all before goal-scorer, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the shot or hands to score 30. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he scores 30 THIS year. He could score 15. He could also score 30.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but I just don't understand where you're coming from with this. You'd be "thrilled if he ever sniffed 20 goals again?" He scored 41 goals the last two seasons combined. Why do you think he's somehow going to be worse with more experience at the spry age of 25? :shrug:

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 08-09-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
Yea, because players don't ever improve their statistics after the age of 25. He scored 22 goals in 08-09 without anything remotely resembling a playmaking center. Scoring 8 more goals than that is so far out of the question? Get real. I don't know why you're trying to make such a bold statement about this, but you're way off base. I'll agree that Cally is more of a 15-20 goal scorer than a 30 goal scorer, but if he scores 30 5 times in his career, I wouldn't be the least bit shocked. Cally does all the little things right and his shot is definitely NHL-caliber. He's not as adept at getting his shot off, unblocked, and getting into an area to use his shot all the time, but if he scored 22 goals on the 2nd and 3rd lines as a 23 year old on a offensively-challenged team without a true playmaker, I think it's absurd to say outright "He'll never score 30 goals in the NHL, ever." He lacks the hands and shot to do so? That has no basis, whatsoever. His hands and shot are average if not slightly above. He's a solid player. If you were to label him as a player, the label wouldn't be "goal-scorer." It would be heart-and-soul, hustle, leader, forechecker, hitter, etc all before goal-scorer, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have the shot or hands to score 30. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he scores 30 THIS year. He could score 15. He could also score 30. Sorry for the long drawn out post, but I just don't understand where you're coming from with this. You'd be "thrilled if he ever sniffed 20 goals again?" He scored 41 goals the last two seasons combined. Why do you think he's somehow going to be worse with more experience at the spry age of 25? :shrug:
Please break up your posts....its very difficult to read

on another note i agree with everything you've said

Cally is absolutely capable of scoring thirty goals in this league..

I don't believe he will be a consistent 30 goal threat, however i think he will crack the mark at some point in his career.

He scored 22 goals in his first full nhl season and had a bit of a dip last season but still put up 19

He plays like a veteran and at 25 is only going to improve....

its not like were talking about todd white here....Cally is on the upswing not the decline

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Please break up your posts....its very difficult to read

on another note i agree with everything you've said

Cally is absolutely capable of scoring thirty goals in this league..

I don't believe he will be a consistent 30 goal threat, however i think he will crack the mark at some point in his career.

He scored 22 goals in his first full nhl season and had a bit of a dip last season but still put up 19

He plays like a veteran and at 25 is only going to improve....

its not like were talking about todd white here....Cally is on the upswing not the decline
editted. goodnight.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
macehockey24

this thread makes me realize there must be another move in the works, we have too many forwards. Avery, Christensen, White look like the odd men out if there isnt another trade

macehockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

im doing this at anyone who voted for ryan callahan.

love the guy but 2nd line rw ? puhleeese.

if our 2nd line is dubi arty cally, were are in deep doodoo.

god help this team.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
going with Cally. Hes Brandon Prust, but better in every aspect (except fighting)...and we all know how well Prust worked with AA.
picked MZA cause the team needs goals. Cally is the better overall player but i think he's with Drury on a 3rd line and top PK unit. Prospal rounds that line out and they could pop some goals

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Plenty of players without great hands have scored 30 in the NHL. Drury netted 37 a few years ago.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

god help this team.
It's not like MZA is going to come in and score more goals than Callahan next season, regardless of what line he's on.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Schweiker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
referring to the question....it WILL be Aasen

I WANT it to be Cally for now

just because i think AA in between him and dubi can be a good second line and MZA is unproven
this is exactly how i feel

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's not like MZA is going to come in and score more goals than Callahan next season, regardless of what line he's on.
true. and there in lies the problem

other than our 1st line, we got nothin.

this is going to be a long season unless we make some changes and get a direct injection of some top line offensive talent.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

god help this team.
Callahan had 19 goals last year, which was tied for 11oth in the league, or an average team's 3rd-4th highest goal scorer. Thems 2nd line numbers.

While I agree he our ideal situation places him on the third line, a rough 20 goal scorer in a 2nd line slot is not why this team needs god's help. At all.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
true. and there in lies the problem

other than our 1st line, we got nothin.

this is going to be a long season unless we make some changes and get a direct injection of some top line offensive talent.
If by long season you mean we'll probably be in for a very up and down season that probably results in a 6th to 10th place finish, sure. I don't think it's some doomsday scenario like most people think.

Be it a good or a bad thing, this team will never be that bad with Hank and Gaborik in the lineup. If either are injured for a prolonged period next season, then, yes, it's going to be a long season.

I don't think our top 6 is THAT bad. If we had a legitimate top 6 center in the mix we'd be fine.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Callahan had 19 goals last year, which was tied for 11oth in the league, or an average team's 3rd-4th highest goal scorer. Thems 2nd line numbers.

While I agree he our ideal situation places him on the third line, a rough 20 goal scorer in a 2nd line slot is not why this team needs god's help. At all.
yeah but.....he played a ton- too much really, and got prime time pp time that wasnt warranted given his skills. yes he scored 19 but thats not that good for a true 2nd line rw getting choice minutes. actually, thats pretty poor.

he played as much as he did because we suked so bad. there was no one else any better. and torts has a hahrdon for him resulting in his overplaying him.

if hes playing 2nd line wing this year, it means were still a bad team.

hes a 3rd line winger and 1st pair pk guy. nothing more.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
If by long season you mean we'll probably be in for a very up and down season that probably results in a 6th to 10th place finish, sure. I don't think it's some doomsday scenario like most people think.

Be it a good or a bad thing, this team will never be that bad with Hank and Gaborik in the lineup. If either are injured for a prolonged period next season, then, yes, it's going to be a long season.

I don't think our top 6 is THAT bad. If we had a legitimate top 6 center in the mix we'd be fine.
if i look at the top 6 of our opponents and compare, yeah i think were bad.

heck, beyond gaborik and maybe frolov, we really have no other true 1st line players. think about that, we are a team made up of 1 or perhaps 2 top tier guys and a bunch of 3rd liners.

i mean were arguing over whether waiver wire erik christensen or 35 yr old vinny prospal should center gaborik....

Old
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
if i look at the top 6 of our opponents and compare, yeah i think were bad.

heck, beyond gaborik and maybe frolov, we really have no other true 1st line players. think about that, we are a team made up of 1 or perhaps 2 top tier guys and a bunch of 3rd liners.

i mean were arguing over whether waiver wire erik christensen or 35 yr old vinny prospal should center gaborik....

k, so 2 of our 3 players on the first line are true first line players. What teams are you thinking of that have 3 "true" first line players??

Old
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
k, so 2 of our 3 players on the first line are true first line players. What teams are you thinking of that have 3 "true" first line players??
for the record, i have fro on line 2

and i said frolov is perhaps a 1st line guy. hes really a solid line 2 guy. thats why i want him there.

beyond those 2, we are left with all 3rd line types pretty much. in fact, the "2nd line" of dubi arty and cally is really a 3rd line.

what does that tell you ?

Old
08-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Jimmy Dubya

When are you people going to understand that putting MZA on the second line to start the season is suicide. Look what happened to Gilroy by rushing him to play. This guy has spent his whole career in Europe playing a different style against different players. Put him in Hartford to start the season to get used to North America and if he's good call him up midseason

Jimmy Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote