HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville still needs... - What do you think the final piece to the roster is?

Old
08-09-2010, 01:58 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
doesnt matter. we were one PP goal on a 5 minute PP away from changing the whole postseason and possibly the future of the franchise. you arent going to get anyone to be rational or logical about it, including me.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
doesnt matter. we were one PP goal on a 5 minute PP away from changing the whole postseason and possibly the future of the franchise. you arent going to get anyone to be rational or logical about it, including me.
This. I understand the 09-10 Preds were a very good team for a large portion of the season (definitely better offensively than just about all NHL fans, Preds fans included, want to give credit), and yes the PP did have periods of time where it looked like an actual PP. The trouble is finding consistency. I'm with 101st in that a new PP coach might not be what solves the problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt much. Of all of the reoccurring issues this team has I think the PP bothers me the most. First round exits happen, and yes having them be all we know is frustrating. Our PP has been down right embarrassing. That's the only way I can describe it without causing children to cry. Maybe we should ration our smoke and mirrors so we can use more during special teams.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 04:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This. I understand the 09-10 Preds were a very good team for a large portion of the season (definitely better offensively than just about all NHL fans, Preds fans included, want to give credit), and yes the PP did have periods of time where it looked like an actual PP. The trouble is finding consistency. I'm with 101st in that a new PP coach might not be what solves the problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt much. Of all of the reoccurring issues this team has I think the PP bothers me the most. First round exits happen, and yes having them be all we know is frustrating. Our PP has been down right embarrassing. That's the only way I can describe it without causing children to cry. Maybe we should ration our smoke and mirrors so we can use more during special teams.
If you look at some of the stats I presented yesterday, the PP had two stretches where we went 7 and 9 games without a PP goal. That's 16 games which is roughly 20% of the season. That's not including the 30 other games where we didn't have a PP goal. There was also a 9 game stretch where we had two 4 game stretches of no goals with a game sandwiched in between where we got one goal.

The PP was wildly inconsistent all last year. The stats can show that we went at an 18% clip from game 9 til the end of the season but it doesn't tell the whole story to me. 101 is going to work on some other stats to try and fully understand our issues. Sure, there are times when you only get a few seconds on the PP but all teams have this happen to them.

We had 3 10 game stretches where we were under 10% and two of them were under 5% and some of our stretches where we were over 20% were skewed by multiple goals in multiple games and yet we still got skunked on the PP in half the games.

The problems are many unfortunately. The faceoff dot is a huge problem. The inability to park someone in front of the net on a consistent basis is a problem, other than Hornqvist. The lack of crisp puck movement and having the other team chase us as opposed to us working really hard instead of letting the puck do the work for us. Teams lining up to block Weber yet us not taking advantage of the extra space caused by us. Our inability to win battles along the boards has been a problem as well. Oh, forgot my favorite one, shooting the puck at net is always helpful.

The last one is key and I read something about Lidstrom the other day that brings this to light. Lidstrom doesn't always shoot to score but to provide rebounds for his guys. He has the ability to shoot the puck at the goalie and get a rebound to go in a direction he would like and in doing so, is able to find an open teammate. Obviously this isn't the soundest of strategies I'd like to see used all the time but it does provide scoring opportunities. Suter, Weber and whoever else is back at the point could learn some of this technique but the guys on the half boards are going to have to learn where to be to find these types of rebounds. Whether this is coaching, instinct or a little bit of both, I'm not sure of but the way to get better is to learn from your opponents and what they do well.

Scoring in the clutch would be nice too. We have the inability to score big goals in big situations. We're gonna have to learn to bury chances when given the opportunity.

I think bringing in a new coach with different ideas would be a good place to start though. I think the team did fine for about 40 or so games on the PP but that is wildly inconsistent. Yeah teams have bad stretches but it seemed we had more than most, other than maybe Columbus...lol.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm more worried about getting our PK up to snuff before trying to fix the PP. In fact, our PP last year was right at about where I expected it to be (maybe a nudge higher). We just don't have the talent to have a consistently strong PP. But as a team that prides itself on defense, 28th ranked PK is unacceptable.

On a good note, we were the least penalized team in the conference. A big improvement compared to the last few years. If we can combine that with a good PK, our PP woes won't seem as bad.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If you look at some of the stats I presented yesterday, the PP had two stretches where we went 7 and 9 games without a PP goal. That's 16 games which is roughly 20% of the season. That's not including the 30 other games where we didn't have a PP goal. There was also a 9 game stretch where we had two 4 game stretches of no goals with a game sandwiched in between where we got one goal.

The PP was wildly inconsistent all last year. The stats can show that we went at an 18% clip from game 9 til the end of the season but it doesn't tell the whole story to me. 101 is going to work on some other stats to try and fully understand our issues. Sure, there are times when you only get a few seconds on the PP but all teams have this happen to them.

We had 3 10 game stretches where we were under 10% and two of them were under 5% and some of our stretches where we were over 20% were skewed by multiple goals in multiple games and yet we still got skunked on the PP in half the games.

The problems are many unfortunately. The faceoff dot is a huge problem. The inability to park someone in front of the net on a consistent basis is a problem, other than Hornqvist. The lack of crisp puck movement and having the other team chase us as opposed to us working really hard instead of letting the puck do the work for us. Teams lining up to block Weber yet us not taking advantage of the extra space caused by us. Our inability to win battles along the boards has been a problem as well. Oh, forgot my favorite one, shooting the puck at net is always helpful.

The last one is key and I read something about Lidstrom the other day that brings this to light. Lidstrom doesn't always shoot to score but to provide rebounds for his guys. He has the ability to shoot the puck at the goalie and get a rebound to go in a direction he would like and in doing so, is able to find an open teammate. Obviously this isn't the soundest of strategies I'd like to see used all the time but it does provide scoring opportunities. Suter, Weber and whoever else is back at the point could learn some of this technique but the guys on the half boards are going to have to learn where to be to find these types of rebounds. Whether this is coaching, instinct or a little bit of both, I'm not sure of but the way to get better is to learn from your opponents and what they do well.

Scoring in the clutch would be nice too. We have the inability to score big goals in big situations. We're gonna have to learn to bury chances when given the opportunity.

I think bringing in a new coach with different ideas would be a good place to start though. I think the team did fine for about 40 or so games on the PP but that is wildly inconsistent. Yeah teams have bad stretches but it seemed we had more than most, other than maybe Columbus...lol.

In those games ... how many PP opportunities were there and how long did the team spend on the PP? In the first 9 games (all I've entered into the spreadsheet so far) the team had a game without a goal with just one opportunity, one where they didn't score in three opportunities that totaled just 3:48 and one where they had 6 chances and 11:44 that they failed to capitalize upon .... but using only games with or without a PPG those count the same.

For a team that only averaged about three full PP a game we're looking at every other game on average if the team converted at 20%.

Let me finish the spreadsheet I started this morning and get the graphing done and I'll post the results. I'm tracking total goals v total opportunities (the simple % nhl.com lists) as well as goals/time for 5v4, 5v3, and 4v3.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'm more worried about getting our PK up to snuff before trying to fix the PP. In fact, our PP last year was right at about where I expected it to be (maybe a nudge higher). We just don't have the talent to have a consistently strong PP. But as a team that prides itself on defense, 28th ranked PK is unacceptable.

On a good note, we were the least penalized team in the conference. A big improvement compared to the last few years. If we can combine that with a good PK, our PP woes won't seem as bad.
Agreed.

At least the PP improved and for a while was actually performing at a decent rate. The same can't be said for the PK.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
if you run across if the goals were game tying or game winning could you add that? or some sort of "clutch" goal type of thing.....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
if you run across if the goals were game tying or game winning could you add that? or some sort of "clutch" goal type of thing.....
Requests like that require payment in Bier.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Actually, I didn't know that's how you did it until today, but...we have a button for "code" tags in the posting screen.
I didn't even know any of those.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
German or will American microbrew do?

Old
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
German or will American microbrew do?
Deutsch .... from a few select breweries.

I'm about half way through the season. I hate the tedious nature of entering data. I need minions.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Deutsch .... from a few select breweries.

I'm about half way through the season. I hate the tedious nature of entering data. I need minions.
What's the salary, benefits and do I get to push the big red button at least once a week?

Old
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What's the salary, benefits and do I get to push the big red button at least once a week?
No salary ... no benefits ... daily flogging .... the red button you get to push is connected to nothing.

Old
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
No salary ... no benefits ... daily flogging .... the red button you get to push is connected to nothing.
And this is why you don't get minions. Hell, I even got the haircut for it!

Old
08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I offer paltry wages of a nickel a week, free rainwater, and the big red button makes an exciting "bzzz" sound. And all I demand is hockey tickets.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Walks into thread...
Looks around...
Walks out of thread

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Top 6 Spaling

The final piece is......Ilya Kovalchuck

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

This team needs four wins to get out of the first round.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:06 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
++++++1

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Actually, we were NOT GIVING UP A GOAL away from changing the whole postseason. We had a lead and a series of mistakes allowed them to get the puck, clear their zone, pull their goalie which essentially neutralized the PP, suffered a couple of defensive lapses in our zone, left a Hawk standing all alone at the far post, and they scored. There was the dagger through the heart.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
That shouldn't be a problem. I've been known to consider Single Barrel appropriate for payment also.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
That shouldn't be a problem. I've been known to consider Single Barrel appropriate for payment also.
Looking through the game sheets to determine tying and game winning PPG will cost you A SINGLE BARREL.

Old
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Man, I wish could get drunk so I could understand everyone's love of liquor. I down one liter of Smirnov in an hour and NOTHING!!!

Old
08-10-2010, 11:05 PM
hockey diva

You might react differently now that you have lost wieght.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
You might react differently now that you have lost wieght.
I hope so. Maybe I can discover that alcoholism gene my family has!