HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The return of Bob Gainey?

Old
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Steve Simmons is an idiot.

Molson is the President, already stated on the website and by Molson himself.

I can see him in a Vice-President role.
I'm calling secretary, you can be the *******.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

Bob Gainey wasn't a very good GM imo, I still respect the man, but hope there isn't an ounce of truth to this.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Bob Gainey wasn't a very good GM imo, I still respect the man, but hope there isn't an ounce of truth to this.
Yeah he wasnt very good ..

He only did bring the best team the habs seen since 1993 ..

Seriously, I'm laughing so hard at the haters. Guess all the haters thinks Kovalev was a god in this team, funny that we didnt do **** with him on the lineup.

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Rejean Houle wasn't a very good GM, Bob Gainey did a pretty good job of turning this team around. He made some mistakes along the way, but we have a 1st overall finish in 07 (east conf) and made it to the third round of the playoffs in 2010. If that isn't a good GM I'd hate to see your definition of bad.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

BG was VP hockey operations AND general manager before he 'quit' to stay as a consultant.

My guess is he's taking back the VP title for hockey operations, leaving PG as only a GM. If this is true, my guess is that Molson asked BG to stay as VP of HO.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Lord Chezz

While they're at it, they should throw the Youppi costume onto Gainey.

Youppi

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
There's no point trying to silence those who disagree. The reality of which is that an opinion based on logic can be debated, but an opinion with no basis cannot be proven wrong(nor right for that matter) as there's no arguement to debate. There's no logic, no reasoning behind it, etc...The fact is Gainey was a good GM and a great player. He deserves major respect, those who disagree hang on to the few reasons why he isn't good at what he does, rather than open their eyes and realize all the good he did. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
Seriously, I'm laughing so hard at the haters. Guess all the haters thinks Kovalev was a god in this team, funny that we didnt do **** with him on the lineup.
That is not true. Bringing Kovalev was a good decision at the time and still is. He still gave us decent seasons and one great season where the team finished 1st. And it was a good decision to let him go.

I still miss him but I know it is better like this.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Agreed. Gainey is a disgrace to the entire Habs organisation.
Not sure if serious.

Nonetheless...

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Not sure if serious.

Nonetheless...

Doesnt even want to lift it over his head.

Youppi

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I would love to see Gainey return. He is one of the classiest guys in hockey, he is a great representative for the organization and there is no downside to this.

No not every single one of his draft picks / trades worked out but in a city where hockey is scrutinized so heavily give the guy a break.

Just remember where the Habs were before he came back....

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
JackZap

Quote:

well to be fair,we did it with the goalie that Gainey wanted to ship out of town. I didnt like him as a GM, not the worst but average.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
well to be fair,we did it with the goalie that Gainey wanted to ship out of town. I didnt like him as a GM, not the worst but average.
The truth here. Had Gainey still been in charge Price would have been playing till the end no matter what Halak did. That in itself would have made them miss the playoffs.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
It always amazes me how much disrespect Bob Gainey gets even after all the pride, heart, courage he showed while wearing the jersey or managing the Habs. Such a great man deserves way much more respect.
because certain Hab fans are morons

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
The truth here. Had Gainey still been in charge Price would have been playing till the end no matter what Halak did. That in itself would have made them miss the playoffs.
Yeah, that sounds like something Bob Gainey would do... leave in a struggling Price so the Habs will fail... he's always been about the Habs failing, hasn't he...

You don't know much about Bob Gainey. But keep being a hater if that makes you feel good.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
macavoy

I actually really like our current set up. I'm happy Boivin "we must hire french coaches/whatever" is on the way out.

Gainey has never been the same since Laura's accident, so I understand him stepping aside. Parent's aren't suppose to outlive their children. Its changes who you are, even if your in your 60's, its not easy to accept.

Gauthier has shown independence imo. When Gauthier traded for Moore, I wanted Gauthier fired, but overall his moves have been non traditional Gainey moves. I don't see Gainey the value that Gauthier did for Halak.

I also like the way Gauthier is playing hardball with Price and not giving him free reign like Gainey did and let him write his own check.

Overall, I really like our management setup now compared to 2 years ago, although I miss Georgie Gillette. But imo I like this place better than where the team was 2 years ago. I like the fact that Gainey is in the background as a consultant ala Bowman, it kinda keeps Gauthier in check.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Patofqc*

If Gainey had stayed we would have miss the playoff since he would have traded Halak. We had one good year with him it was the year we finished first, and that year there was basicly no injury. This year Halak is gone, not sure we will make the playoff. This team is pretty much in cap trouble, this guy always built small teams. I loved him has a player, but some people here like to put the blindfold on when its comes to Gainey as a GM. If only when Gainey went away we had not chosed is complete clone of a looser GM.

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Quote:
If Gainey had stayed we would have miss the playoff since he would have traded Halak. We had one good year with him it was the year we finished first, and that year there was basicly no injury. This year Halak is gone, not sure we will make the playoff. This team is pretty much in cap trouble, this guy always built small teams. I loved him has a player, but some people here like to put the blindfold on when its comes to Gainey as a GM. If only when Gainey went away we had not chosed is complete clone of a looser GM.
Anyone ever notice the contradiction Gainey bashers often make?

1. If Gainey had stayed as GM we wouldn't have made the playoffs because he would have put Price in every game.

2. We traded Halak because Gainey is still in on the decision making.

Not saying that either of you said that, and I'm not trying to call you guys out, but from the people I've spoken to who always complained about Gainey, they often make these two claims.

For one thing, why all of a sudden down the stretch would Gainey step in and make sure Price played all the games when during the whole season Halak and Price had been splitting time with the "win and your in" method. And Gainey stepped down just before the trade deadline did he not? If he was planning on trading Halak he would have already done it, or a deal would have been already close to worked out.

I'm in no way a Gainey supporter, I'm a habs supporter. I try not to trash any member of the Habs no matter who it is, even if it's the "cool" thing to do. (Brisebois, MAB, etc...)

Everyone is always ragging on Gainey for having given Price the extra opportunities. Would anyone be arguing if Maxwell was producing well, but the team decided to try and spark a slumping Eller by giving him more minutes that would have otherwise gone to Maxwell? I know it's not the best example, and it's not a black and white situation, but there is definitely an argument to be made for either side. Gainey made a tough decision and decided to try and get Price back on track.
As I said before I'm not a fan of individual players on the habs, but the team as a whole. I cheered for the team no matter who was in nets, and I was disappointed to see Halak go this summer. But when I ask myself, in all honesty, who I would rather let go I think my decision would be Halak too, for many reasons that have already been beaten to death. And maybe it's the hype that I've been brainwashed with but I honestly think that in the long run Price will be the better goalie, and it would have been a mistake to trade him when his value is so low.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:49 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I actually really like our current set up. I'm happy Boivin "we must hire french coaches/whatever" is on the way out.
every president is going to be saying the same thing might as well get used to it

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
It always amazes me how much disrespect Bob Gainey gets even after all the pride, heart, courage he showed while wearing the jersey or managing the Habs. Such a great man deserves way much more respect.
That's what happens when you become the boss: You stop being the innocent hero. Remember Serge Savard had won cups as GM and fans still would boo him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Santino

Quote:
if his name was Bob Gainer.. alot of these hateful posters would have a different perception of him. There i know alot of you were afraid to say it, ill say it. The french population cant stand him! Yes he's anglophone, but he was a damn good GM. He took the habs who were a laughing stock before his regime and he put them on the map.He missed what, one playoff? Thats pretty damn good. Not to mention he revamped the team, 11 new players, and still ended up making it to the ECF....ya. he's a ****** GM Some of you posters make me sick, your never satisfied. I know misery loves company, but the rational fans will never succumb to your despair.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
if his name was Bob Gainer.. alot of these hateful posters would have a different perception of him. There i know alot of you were afraid to say it, ill say it. The french population cant stand him! Yes he's anglophone, but he was a damn good GM. He took the habs who were a laughing stock before his regime and he put them on the map.He missed what, one playoff? Thats pretty damn good. Not to mention he revamped the team, 11 new players, and still ended up making it to the ECF....ya. he's a ****** GM Some of you posters make me sick, your never satisfied. I know misery loves company, but the rational fans will never succumb to your despair.

What french population are you talking about?

I can make generalisation too, see

All the english population can't stand Pierre Boivin

That's not really helping

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Patofqc*

Actually i love Bob Gainey the man and the hockey player. He could teach a lot of today's player that it is possible to learn french. You just need a little good will. But the GM was no better then Réjean Houle.

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Indeed, I wasn't his biggest fan as a GM, but I did have respect for him. Much like I have respect for Tremblay and wish him well with RDS.

Quote:

Mmmm, weird post. On one hand Gainey built the best team since 93, on the other hand he brought in Kovalev and we didn't do **** with him in the lineup. Contradiction much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Just remember where the Habs were before he came back....
They were well on their way to get better. Savard did a great job breathing some life into the franchise in the limited amount of time he had. Gainey only had to keep steering the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Didn't you know that Halak was just another player on the 23 man roster. It was a team effort, which means that Halak's performances are somehow irrelevant.

Quote:
Quote:
stop posting. go join the PQ party or something.
Holy crap. I just don't know what to say. Persecuted much?

Last edited by Des Louise: 08-10-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 05:56 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Actually i love Bob Gainey the man and the hockey player. He could teach a lot of today's player that it is possible to learn french. You just need a little good will. But the GM was no better then Réjean Houle.
lol! enough said... we have been down this road before... the comparison isn't even fair

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote