HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Greenville to be Flyers/Rangers ECHL affiliate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
  #1
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
Greenville to be Flyers/Rangers ECHL affiliate

This is great news for us fans that moved south. An echl official wouldnt confirm it yet, but him knowing how much i love the flyers, he was grinning as if the cat ate the canary. again no confirmation yet.

http://www.independentmail.com/news/...inment-offici/

Quote:
ANDERSON — Bringing hockey to the Upstate isn't about the sport, said Neil Smith, general manager of the Greenville Road Warriors.

When the Road Warriors - Greenville's new ECHL hockey team - hit the ice this fall, it will be more about entertainment, Smith said. He spoke Thursday at the monthly Toast and Topics breakfast of the Anderson Area Chamber of Commerce.

“In the minor leagues, you're selling entertainment that hockey is a part of,” he said. “You're selling the speed of hockey, the excitement of hockey, as well as what's going on around the game.”


Road Warriors logo
Hockey games are another family entertainment option at about the same price point as a movie, Smith said. Each game, he said, is designed to have something to entertain children, parents and grandparents while displaying hockey talent.

The Greenville team is the local affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers, Smith said. Talent from the Road Warriors could end up playing in the National Hockey League, especially goalies, he said.

A former general manager in hockey's major leagues, Smith helped lead the Rangers to win the Stanley Cup in 1994, their first Stanley Cup win since 1940. Smith was also working for the New York Islanders in the 1980s when they won the cup four years in a row.

The Road Warriors decided to come to Greenville rather than San Diego or Roanoke, Va., because of the BiLo Center, Smith said. The combination of the arena and a practice rink, as well as good demographics in the potential audience, helped draw the team to the area. The team will work with the center to address the perception of high concession prices.

Smith said he thinks the Road Warriors will do their share of winning.

“I know we're going to win our share and more,” he said. “In this business model, we have to ask, what does our customer want? What they want is entertainment and a fun night. Hockey's not a staple of the South, and we're not trying to make it that. But you have to respect the game and what they do.”

With ticket prices ranging between $9 and $17, the Road Warriors will play their inaugural game Oct. 21.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:40 PM
  #2
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,519
vCash: 5500
Neil Smith?

The guy won a Stanley Cup 17 years ago, was toiling around doing other stuff, ran the Islanders for 10 minutes, and was on TV for a while. Now he's stuck in the ECHL? Surely the guy can do better.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 11:54 PM
  #3
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
hes been the owner of theECHL johnstown chiefs who moved south.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:32 AM
  #4
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,907
vCash: 156
god damnit, why couldnt they have gone to roanoke? would that have killed them????

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:21 AM
  #5
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Wasn't Greenville home of the Growl? Nice to see another market get a second chance, but can't say long term success is in the works. Unless the players on this team bring the Flyers-Rangers rivalry with them and start fighting each other as well as the opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
god damnit, why couldnt they have gone to roanoke? would that have killed them????
In Roanoke, it isn't just the teams that fold ... it's the arena, too.
(Sorry Beef, couldn't resist. Please tell me you remember the Rebels, Rampage, Express, Lancers, etc., and the storm that ruined Vinton).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:43 AM
  #6
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,907
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Wasn't Greenville home of the Growl? Nice to see another market get a second chance, but can't say long term success is in the works. Unless the players on this team bring the Flyers-Rangers rivalry with them and start fighting each other as well as the opposition.



In Roanoke, it isn't just the teams that fold ... it's the arena, too.
(Sorry Beef, couldn't resist. Please tell me you remember the Rebels, Rampage, Express, Lancers, etc., and the storm that ruined Vinton).
vinton sucks, and should be wiped out.

roanoke is probably the one place in virginia that is worse at running a hockey team than richmond. i miss my renegades.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-10-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:06 AM
  #7
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
I guess now we know where Shelly is going to play.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:12 AM
  #8
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Ehh, Mississippi, South Carolina, I'm still not going to see them play.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
  #9
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
What happened to the K-Wings? Weren't they the ECHL affiliate last year?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
  #10
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,519
vCash: 5500
Moreover, will they actually be used other than finding a spot for Nic Riopel to play?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
  #11
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
What happened to the K-Wings? Weren't they the ECHL affiliate last year?
K-zoo signed an affiliation deal with NY Islanders/Bridgeport for this season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
  #12
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Moreover, will they actually be used other than finding a spot for Nic Riopel to play?
Not just Nic. We've got a few others who could find themselves there, depending on how camp goes. The Phantoms lineup is packed.

Heard an interesting interview with Neil Smith on the FAN590 last spring, when the team was playing its last game in Johnstown. He had purchased the team and didn't want to just fold it so he decided to move it and try again. He didn't really want to be coaching again, but had fun with it. He still does some TV work, and I'm sure he'd love to be back in the NHL, but until then, why not own/run your own team? At least he will like his boss!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
  #13
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The ECHL's motto: Hey, once a generation you might see a decent goalie play! Yay Quick!

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
  #14
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The ECHL's motto: Hey, once a generation you might see a decent goalie play! Yay Quick!
Val, you should have seen the early 90s Hampton Roads Admirals. Olaf Kolzig and Byron Dafoe on the same roster.
A lot of decent goalies have spent time in the E. It's like anything else in hockey, some guys have to start low and work their way up.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
  #15
Rick Deckard
Registered User
 
Rick Deckard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not just Nic. We've got a few others who could find themselves there, depending on how camp goes. The Phantoms lineup is packed.
Not to many... we stand at 46 contracts right now, without Riopel and Stephenson. I think one of the Goalies (Riopel or Stewart) and possibly someone like Clackson, not more.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
  #16
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Val, you should have seen the early 90s Hampton Roads Admirals. Olaf Kolzig and Byron Dafoe on the same roster.
A lot of decent goalies have spent time in the E. It's like anything else in hockey, some guys have to start low and work their way up.
I was just pointing out that it's really only of odd goalie or two that will ever play in the E. Reading has a team and its fun to spend 6 bucks on a ticket to watch some hockey but it has nothing on minor league baseball, a sport that is perfectly suited towards developmental leagues.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,907
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The ECHL's motto: Hey, once a generation you might see a decent goalie play! Yay Quick!
or a vandemeer. i think theres like 16 of them.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 11:56 AM
  #18
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,519
vCash: 5500
Carcillo was once and ECHLer, as was Ruslan Fedotenko and Todd Fedoruk.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
  #19
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I was just pointing out that it's really only of odd goalie or two that will ever play in the E. Reading has a team and its fun to spend 6 bucks on a ticket to watch some hockey but it has nothing on minor league baseball, a sport that is perfectly suited towards developmental leagues.
Hockey has a great developmental system as well, imo. ECHL is sort of like AAA, where you will put the players who probably will never be good enough for the NHL there. AHL is like AA where all the top end talent is. Canadien Jrs and European leagues are like A where the young guys play against young guys and get experience.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:15 PM
  #20
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,645
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that doesn't know where Greenville is?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
  #21
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,907
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't know where Greenville is?
i think its in south carolina. im not really sure.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
  #22
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't know where Greenville is?
It's in South Carolina.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
  #23
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Not to many... we stand at 46 contracts right now, without Riopel and Stephenson. I think one of the Goalies (Riopel or Stewart) and possibly someone like Clackson, not more.
A lot depends on whether any of the guys who can return to Jr as overage do so. I thought Wellwood, Rinaldo, Tye McGinn and Dave Labreque can either return as overage Jrs or play for the Phantoms/Road Warriors. As far as I know, McGinn and Labrecque aren't signed yet, so Jrs seems more likely.

I assume Wellwood and Rinaldo will turn pro. I also assume Bartulis will start in the AHL, unless they move Walker.

There is still a high likelihood they will sign another center as there is a glut of wingers. That's why a couple of guys like Harper, Row or Rinaldo could start in the ECHL.

Here's the list of possible Phantoms. Did I miss someone?

Nodl - Kalinski - Laliberte
Maroon - Pither - Testwuide
Wellwood - Holmstrom - Legein
Rowe - Greg Moore - Harper
Klotz - Clackson - Rinaldo
McGinn?-Labreque?


Bartulis-Lehtivuori
Gustafsson-Marshall
Bourdon- Jancevski

Is Stephenson still under contract?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
  #24
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
K-zoo signed an affiliation deal with NY Islanders/Bridgeport for this season.
Oh, thanks. I wish there was an AHL or ECHL team close by (more so AHL), the closest there is to D.C. is the Norfolk Admirals and the Reading Royals, and that isn't that close.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:22 PM
  #25
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
A lot depends on whether any of the guys who can return to Jr as overage do so. I thought Wellwood, Rinaldo, Tye McGinn and Dave Labreque can either return as overage Jrs or play for the Phantoms/Road Warriors. As far as I know, McGinn and Labrecque aren't signed yet, so Jrs seems more likely.

I assume Wellwood and Rinaldo will turn pro. I also assume Bartulis will start in the AHL, unless they move Walker.

There is still a high likelihood they will sign another center as there is a glut of wingers. That's why a couple of guys like Harper, Row or Rinaldo could start in the ECHL.

Here's the list of possible Phantoms. Did I miss someone?

Nodl - Kalinski - Laliberte
Maroon - Pither - Testwuide
Wellwood - Holmstrom - Legein
Rowe - Greg Moore - Harper
Klotz - Clackson - Rinaldo
McGinn?-Labreque?


Bartulis-Lehtivuori
Gustafsson-Marshall
Bourdon- Jancevski

Is Stephenson still under contract?
I would like to see Labreque jump to the AHL and the same with this new McGinn kid. We'll see I guess, since that is a lot of guys listed there. I wouldn't be surprised to see both stay in junior for their last eligable year. I can't see all 3 of Klotz, Rinaldo and Clackson on the team but who knows. Klotz is ECHL material. Clackson isn't much of a step up. I think Rinaldo will have more of a presence than either of those two knotheads.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.