HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Rookie Chargers

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Don was not wrong about Hall. He might be stretching it here but I am willing to wait.

Looks like the 2011 draft will be better the what peoples were saying it would be.

Old
04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Leviathan

Murphy is definitely on the trajectory to go top 10 or 15, depends on his growth probably. When I watched the U17s final he was the only guy with NHL calibre hockey sense, though they are young.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
james30

were you in Timmins? or did you just watch one game on TV?

Old
04-15-2010, 06:28 PM
IrMitchell*

I've seen him play in midget aaa on york simcoe.

Great hockey player no doubt about that, but he's far from a top 2 pick. In fact he'll be lucky to crack top 20 in my opinion. He's WAY too light, and he will be afraid when rick nash/iginla/bobby ryan/getzlaf/etc come flying at him.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

2g's 1a(so far)

Tonight against Windsor.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
JeffYear92*

Wow, He's looking even better tonight.

Cant wait to see how he plays saturday night with the fans rocking the aud

Old
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
I've seen him play in midget aaa on york simcoe.

Great hockey player no doubt about that, but he's far from a top 2 pick. In fact he'll be lucky to crack top 20 in my opinion. He's WAY too light, and he will be afraid when rick nash/iginla/bobby ryan/getzlaf/etc come flying at him.
See Erik Karlsson. The game is changing and theres going to be plenty of GM's who look for the next great puckmover even if he's small and somewhat suspect in his own end. That one game I saw of Murphy was quite impressive. His ability to play with the puck and the poise he did it with was something. If he plays the same way in the OHL that he did against U'17'ers I'd have no issue with taking him with a top 10 pick.

Old
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Ward Cornell

If Murphy (at age 18) was in this years draft would he ahead of Fowler?
I would have to place Murphy safely ahead.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 04-15-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Bauer Hockey 4

Ryan Murphy elgible for 2011 NHL Draft

Defenceman for the Kitchener Rangers, his draft year is this upcoming season. I don't know what others think of him, but I watched him during the OHL playoffs and must say im very impressed. He is undersized, but is a true offensive defenceman and would remind you a bit of Ryan Ellis, but this guy had some big play ability in the playoffs. He scored some timely goals against Windsor in the Western Conference Finals and seemed to be one of Kitchener's top players throughout the playoffs.

Here's his stats as a 16 year old for most of the season and for playoffs:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=121922

Almost point per game in the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16g9ajD8qnw
Don Cherry spoke very highly of him on coach's corner about him going first overall next year, couldnt find a link. But, then again it's Don Cherry

Old
08-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Yeah hes top 5 talent. Team Canada left him off the Ivan Hlinka roster for some nonexistiant reason though.

Old
08-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Bauer Hockey 4

i think hes gonna be better than ellis. just has great skating and can make plays at high speeds while on the rush

Old
08-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Raging Bull

His shot is incredible, can get a rocket off without any space around him.

Old
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
james30

Here is the non-existent reason:
Murphy ended up in a numbers game, plus the short span of the tournament also tends to put a premium on versatility. That might not satisfy questions over why he's not on the team, but it helps explain the thinking.
"Ryan didn't play badly," Murray said Wednesday from St. John's, N.L., where he is attending the under-20 team's summer development camp. "He just got beat by other very good players. It's like some years when you have three great goalies, you can still only take two.
"If you look at the defence corps as a group, it's probably our strongest position," Murray added. "We were probably, at that position, legitimately 11 deep in guys who could have made the team after this weekend's camp. It was by far our strongest position in terms of depth and by far the toughest in terms of cutting players. It's a good balance of defensive guys who have skill and offensive players who bring good defensive play. We thought long and hard about whether to go with seven or eight and whether to go with 12 or 13 forwards, but if you go with eight defencemen, then you're down to less than four full lines if a forward gets hurt."
Everett Silvertips defenceman Ryan Murray will serve as the team's captain.
"In most cases, because the tournament is coming up right away, the coaches want the players who are most prepared to play right now," Al Murray said. "In some cases, high-profile players are maybe at a different phase of their [off-season] training. In his [Murphy's] case, with our defence, we just have too many good guys and have good mix of size vs. skill vs. grit vs. offence. Somebody very good was going to get left out.
Canada's 2009 gold medal-winning roster did not include five eventual first-round picks. Portland Winterhawks centre Ryan Johansen (fourth overall, Columbus Blue Jackets), Moose Jaw Warriors defencemen Dylan McIlrath (10th, New York Rangers), Owen Sound Attack centre Joey Hishon (17th, Colorado Avalanche), Notre Dame centre Riley Sheahan (21st, Detroit Red Wings) and Moose Jaw left wing Quinton Howden (25th, Florida Panthers) were not on the team.
The same went for an eventual high second-rounder, London Knights forward Jared Knight (taken 32nd overall by the Boston Bruins).
Conversely, then-Barrie Colts blueliner Ryan O'Connor made the U18 team, but ended up going undrafted in June.
"The draft means nothing to us as far as who gets selected to our teams," Murray added. "The goal is to have the best team to try to go win a championship next week in Slovakia."
Meantime, one can only marvel at how much scrutiny Hockey Canada's roster decisions elicit even for the Ivan Hlinka tourney, which is not televised. Beyond the Murphy decision, there was strong reaction to the makeup of head coach George Burnett's squad. Some have tagged it as "Team Ontario," since 14 of the 22 players are from the OHL.
Of course, major junior hockey is largely a local game with localized followings. All of us could probably use a wider lens with which to see how much talent there across the country.
"One of the interesting things is people sometimes lock on to a key guy and they don't see the other players around the country and realize the quality across the country," Murray noted, speaking in a general sense. "They're not comparing apples to oranges. It is apples to apples.
"If you get out to one ouf our camps and watch all four days, you'll good feeling that the best kids from the camp are the ones picked for the team," he added.
Canada, minus Murphy, begins the tournament on Monday against Sweden.
Neate Sager is a writer for Yahoo! Sports Canada. Contact him at neatesager@yahoo.ca and follow him on Twitter @neatebuzzthenet.

It doesn't take away from Murphy being a gifted offensive defenseman.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
Yeah hes top 5 talent. Team Canada left him off the Ivan Hlinka roster for some nonexistiant reason though.
They accidentally gave it to Ryan Murray!

Old
08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
leafsfuture

To the article two posts above..... there are two errors. They mention Hishon and Sheahan as players cut from last years Hlinka.... they werent eligible. For the Hlinka, Hockey Canada only selects people of the same age group. That year it was the 92's.

Old
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
To the article two posts above..... there are two errors. They mention Hishon and Sheahan as players cut from last years Hlinka.... they werent eligible. For the Hlinka, Hockey Canada only selects people of the same age group. That year it was the 92's.
Yeah, not to mention Johansen and McIlrath weren't really considered first round talent until around March. Jared Knight was just diagnosed with diabetes at the time of the camp (IIRC) and didn't really start to show high caliber offensive finesse until this season (And he still got left off the USA camp, which is suspect in itself).

Honestly, I think they left off Murphy solely based on his size. As far as offense goes, he's the most capable PMD on that team. He may not fit into a defensive role, but he wouldn't be there for that purpose. Looking at the size of that blueline, no one is under 6'0". Regardless of how you build your d-core, a good offensive defenseman is always good to have. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team struggle a bit on the PP. They have some guys that can move the puck, but none are as proven as Murphy at this point.

Old
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
james30

3 power play goals today isn't too bad!

Old
08-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Ward Cornell

I'm not sure if size or Murphys defensive play has anything to do with him not making the team. Granted at the start of last season his defensive play was sorely lacking but from the midseason on his defensive play was drastically improved to the point that he was very dependable in his own end. His play in the OHL playoffs is proof enough.
IMHO....the reason he didn't make the team was because 13 out of 22 roster spots was from the OHL and HC wanted to try to equalize things as much as possible.

Old
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I get Ryan Murphy and Ryan Murray mixed up.

Murphy ---> Kitchener ---> Smaller ---> 2011 ---> Top 5 talent
Murray ---> Everett ---> Bigger ---> 2012? right? ---> ????? Isn't he like really, really, really good?

Old
08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
seadawg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I get Ryan Murphy and Ryan Murray mixed up.

Murphy ---> Kitchener ---> Smaller ---> 2011 ---> Top 5 talent
Murray ---> Everett ---> Bigger ---> 2012? right? ---> ????? Isn't he like really, really, really good?
me too. I get those two mixed up all the time. I know Murphy is 2011 and Murray is 2012, but beyond that I don't know much about either of them.

Can someone familiar with both players provide a comparison of the two? Which player is bigger? Which has a higher upside? Are their playing styles similar?

Old
08-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Bauer Hockey 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadawg View Post
me too. I get those two mixed up all the time. I know Murphy is 2011 and Murray is 2012, but beyond that I don't know much about either of them.

Can someone familiar with both players provide a comparison of the two? Which player is bigger? Which has a higher upside? Are their playing styles similar?
I don't know much about murray but i assume hes bigger cause murphy is like close to 5'9. With Ryan Murphy he's a great skater, has a hard shot, quick release, he would be something like a ryan ellis, but i guess without the defence. Murphy kind of reminds me of scott niedermayer in the way he skates and rushes the puck, but ive only seen him a few times, so its not a very accurate read.

Murphy picked it up scoring 17 points in 20 games in the playoffs as a 16 year-old defenceman

Old
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Hockey 4 View Post
I don't know much about murray but i assume hes bigger cause murphy is like close to 5'9.
He's actually was 5'11" and about 170lbs last season.
This coming season he'll probably be playing at 185lbs.

Old
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
One of my favorite prospects for the draft already. Love this kid.

Old
10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy, the 17 year old Kitchener Rangers 5'10 defensemen has looked amazing this year.

Currently leads the OHL in points (13) in only 5 games, Alex Aleardi is second with 12, but he has played 2 more games than Murphy.

Hes been absoututley one of the best if not the best player in the OHL so far this season. He had another 4 point night tonight, a long with a Bobby Orr esque Coast to Coast goal. And hes from the games so far this season been night and day better defensively than he was last year, hes easily the best player on the ice every time hes on.

Anyone surprised hes been so good? What do people think he'l project to go this year, concencus top 10 pick but I think hes even exceeded that.

Old
10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Mcfly11

I think he's got a chip on his shoulder after getting cut from the under-18 team for the Ivan Hlinka.

I've only seen him at the intra-squad games in August for the under-18's, but I came away pretty impressed by him. Great offensive skills, but I didn't get too much of a read on his defence. How has he looked defensively, for those who have seen him this season?

Closed Thread