HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Kennedy

Old
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Despite all of his flaws, he did put up ~30 points in his rookie year playing on Buffalo's 3rd line.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Which part do we not need at all? The grit? The talent? The ability to be an effective 3rd line player, which several posters have stated Cogliano does not have. Is it the cost effective price tag?

I don't believe he is a savior to the Oilers however as several have posted his price is cheap and would be a decent fit for the bottom 6. Geez, what did we just pay to have JFJ sit in the press box half the season?

I believe ERC91's post was comprehensive enough to indicate that Kennedy is in fact a player that the Oilers could use, and need. Cogliano, not so much.
He is too small and honestly I don't see nearly the grit that some others here are saying. Maybe in the sense that Reddox has grit I guess.

Belanger is a much better idea. He can at least play C and win a draw or two.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Which part do we not need at all? The grit? The talent? The ability to be an effective 3rd line player, which several posters have stated Cogliano does not have. Is it the cost effective price tag?

I don't believe he is a savior to the Oilers however as several have posted his price is cheap and would be a decent fit for the bottom 6. Geez, what did we just pay to have JFJ sit in the press box half the season?

I believe ERC91's post was comprehensive enough to indicate that Kennedy is in fact a player that the Oilers could use, and need. Cogliano, not so much.
Thanks, I normally get just beaten for my ideas xD

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He is too small and honestly I don't see nearly the grit that some others here are saying. Maybe in the sense that Reddox has grit I guess.

Belanger is a much better idea. He can at least play C and win a draw or two.
Of course Belanger would be nice, but it's not sure if he really wants to sign with us.

Except that, I can see absolutely no risk with adding him. There is a possibility that he might fit into our bottom six and if not we can just waive him and lose him or have a godd player for OKC.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Teh Trollz*
da Best Propozal's

why would oilers sign this guy ? he's too small , is just barely 30% on the face off circle, and doesn't fit our description of what we need as a team going FORWARD . just because we can afford it doesn't mean we do it .. get your heads out of your ass

Teh Trollz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
Of course Belanger would be nice, but it's not sure if he really wants to sign with us.

Except that, I can see absolutely no risk with adding him. There is a possibility that he might fit into our bottom six and if not we can just waive him and lose him or have a godd player for OKC.
Is there anything that says Kennedy wants to sign with us? Esp if he may have to play on our farm team? There are plenty of teams with less forward depth then us. TO for example. He'd probably be a 1st liner there.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:55 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Is there anything that says Kennedy wants to sign with us? Esp if he may have to play on our farm team? There are plenty of teams with less forward depth then us. TO for example. He'd probably be a 1st liner there.
You are clearly exagerating now.

Nevertheless Toronto actually has a lot of bottom six forwards.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Tw0Shoes

Would he have to pass through waivers?

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Would he have to pass through waivers?
No, he's a UFA.

The way I see it, we need to either pick Kennedy or Cogliano. If we feel Kennedy offers a better skill-set for what the team is looking for, then move Cogliano for what you can and sign Kennedy (assuming he's interested). Kennedy is definitely a left-winger though so picking him over Cogliano would likely mean Brule would play the year at centre.

Penner-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Brule-Hemsky
Kennedy-Horcoff-MPS
Jones-Fraser-Stortini

I actually don't mind that lineup (it at least splits the rookies apart throughout the scoring lines) but it sounds like the Oilers plan to play Brule at wing and Cogliano at centre (thus I don't really get where they'd play Kennedy if they signed him).

08-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
No, he's a UFA.

The way I see it, we need to either pick Kennedy or Cogliano. If we feel Kennedy offers a better skill-set for what the team is looking for, then move Cogliano for what you can and sign Kennedy (assuming he's interested). Kennedy is definitely a left-winger though so picking him over Cogliano would likely mean Brule would play the year at centre.

Penner-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Brule-Hemsky
Kennedy-Horcoff-MPS
Jones-Fraser-Stortini

I actually don't mind that lineup (it at least splits the rookies apart throughout the scoring lines) but it sounds like the Oilers plan to play Brule at wing and Cogliano at centre (thus I don't really get where they'd play Kennedy if they signed him).

Sorry, I meant if we sign him, would he have to pass through waivers for us to send him to OKC?

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
Sorry, I meant if we sign him, would he have to pass through waivers for us to send him to OKC?
He would be waiver eligible since he's played more than 70 NHL games relative to the age that he signed his first contract (22 years old).

08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
No, he's a UFA.

Penner-Gagner-Eberle
Hall-Brule-Hemsky
Kennedy-Horcoff-MPS
Jones-Fraser-Stortini

Ya decent. I wouldnt mind Kennedy at all. He had really nice numbers in the AHL and decent rookie NHL numbers. seems like he could be a decent 2nd/3rd line guy who is still relatively young.

This move could also open up the possibility of dealing Cogliano for a young dman or dman prospect.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Oiler Lover

Sign him to a two way contract so he can play in OKC and then be available as a call up.

Oiler Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Lover View Post
Sign him to a two way contract so he can play in OKC and then be available as a call up.
I doubt that he'd accept a 2-way deal TBH. A team like the Islanders or the Leafs would do well in signing Kennedy IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
nsoilfan

i dont see much of a difference between kennedy or reddox. why do we need 2 are we now wanting to collect small bottom 6 guys to go with our small to 6?

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
i dont see much of a difference between kennedy or reddox. why do we need 2 are we now wanting to collect small bottom 6 guys to go with our small to 6?
Well Kennedy had 67 points in his first year in the AHL, 13 more points than Reddox's career high (AHL). Kennedy has also played more games in his rookie NHL season than Reddox has in his career.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
He's a very significant upgrade on Reddox. He has much more skill than Liam has.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Well Kennedy had 67 points in his first year in the AHL, 13 more points than Reddox's career high (AHL). Kennedy has also played more games in his rookie NHL season than Reddox has in his career.
ok but still is that what we are looking for a player slightly better than reddox / plays wing and is small?

i hope not

Old
08-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
ok but still is that what we are looking for a player slightly better than reddox / plays wing and is small?

i hope not
He has a lot more skill, unfortunately both are pint sized. Not sure if he'd be a long term Oiler or not but of course it would've been less of a question if he had another 3-4" in height and another 20lbs. on his frame.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He has a lot more skill, unfortunately both are pint sized. Not sure if he'd be a long term Oiler or not but of course it would've been less of a question if he had another 3-4" in height and another 20lbs. on his frame.
of course if he was bigger id agree but he isnt.

is kennedy projected to be in the bottom 6 or top 6? we need bottom 6 pk guy with size preferably one who plays center

does he have as much skill as cogs? why bring in lesser version of cogs to push him even further out of the line up

to me it just doesnt make sence why the oilers would be interested

Last edited by nsoilfan: 08-12-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
tv14

Quote:

is kennedy projected to be in the bottom 6 or top 6? we need bottom 6 pk guy with size preferably one who plays center

does he have as much skill as cogs? why bring in lesser version of cogs to push im even further out of the line up

Well IMO I think he is better suited for the 3rd line than Cogs. While he is small, he has a decent skillset and brings a feisty and gritty edge to his game unlike Cogliano. I really like Cogliano, but I dont know where he fits in the future.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

does he have as much skill as cogs? why bring in lesser version of cogs to push im even further out of the line up

IMO he could still be a top 6 guy, more skill than Cogs minus the speed, it makes sense if they are looking at a cheap/young asset with upside. IMO it makes more sense than signing Belanger does at this point.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO he could still be a top 6 guy, more skill than Cogs minus the speed, it makes sense if they are looking at a cheap/young asset with upside. IMO it makes more sense than signing Belanger does at this point.
they already have a lot of cheap young assets with up side, they need vets to play important roles and teach the young guys how to play.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
they already have a lot of cheap young assets with up side, they need vets to play important roles and teach the young guys how to play.
It could be that other deals are lined up and that the make up of this team could change significantly from its current state. Any way that you slice it IMO he is an upgrade on most of our current bottom 6.

Old
08-12-2010, 03:09 AM
ERC91

IMO Kennedy of course isn't the ideal player for our bottom 6, as he is too small, but with his feisty, annoying play (a bit similar to Brule) he at least is a better fit than Cogs.

I wouldn't mind picking him up now, as the market of possible bottom 6ers dries up more and more (Belanger has now signed somewhere too and it looks like we are not the team, as it is one, that has to make a trade to fit him in.