Notices

Wild aiming for Rick Wilson to be assistant coach

Old
07-30-2010, 07:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild aiming for Rick Wilson to be assistant coach

New Russo blog is up. Looks like the assistant coach search is over one way or another and that Fletcher recognizes the need for defensemen to play defense.

So who is Rick Wilson?

Quote:
...the 20-year assistant coaching veteran who's stood on benches with the Islanders, Kings, North Stars, Stars and Lightning. Fourteen of those years were spent in Dallas, where he won a Stanley Cup alongside Ken Hitchcock in 1999.

Wilson's a former defenseman who played at the University of North Dakota. Hitchcock and Dave Tippett highly endorsed Wilson to Wild coach Todd Richards, and Wilson's strength is getting "the defensemen to play the right way," a longtime NHL coach told me.
Discuss.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
good luck to him. really not an enviable position to be in, but if you can make our D look good it's going to seem like a miracle and maybe you have a shot at a bigger job.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
J22

He played D for the Sioux, he should be able to teach the guys plenty about killing penalties.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really like the idea of an assistant to get the defense to play better. Last year was atrocious. I don't know how they were so bad with Ramsey behind the bench, unless he literally did nothing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
LemaireisGOD

Are we sure it was Ramsey...or was it Richards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I really like the idea of an assistant to get the defense to play better. Last year was atrocious. I don't know how they were so bad with Ramsey behind the bench, unless he literally did nothing.
Ramsey noted his difference of philosophy with Richards in the reasons he gave for leaving. I think its ironic we're bringing in a guy who "knows defense" for a Head Coach who was an ex-defenseman himself. Sorry but this sort of knocks Richards' abilities in a way, IMO.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 02:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

From Russo's twitter:
Quote:
#mnwild is expected to announce Rick Wilson as assistant coach later today. Today is Wilson's 60th birthday. #nhl #tblightning

Old
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reading his blog, he sounds like exactly the kind of assistant the Wild need. He will reign in the defensemen and help Richards adjust his ideas to the NHL.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

lol, from Russo's blog it sounds like he is being brought here to teach Richards how to coach.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Not necessarily a bad thing (I await Bozak's reply).

Old
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Oooooooh.... A good reason to disconnect from my proxy server...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

O no, i am not saying it's a bad thing at all. In fact its probably a good thing and will lead to Todd being a much better coach and necessary adjustments to the system. I can't even imagine being in Todd's place last year, with the poor roster he had and the learning curve it takes to go from an assitant coach/AHL coach to head coach.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I agree.

But it sounds like he "taught" Hitchcock and Tippet, and those guys are no slouches in terms of coaching, especially with the defensive end.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Those two can be thrown together with Mr. Lemaire to create some sort of defensive triumvirate.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can...or will?

If Tippet would have held out one more season they could Lebronned themselves onto one team and got 20+ shutouts.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Umm...yaaa I'm goeyeing to take mui talents to da dessaht.

Old
08-10-2010, 04:53 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ”Russo”
A former University of North Dakota defenseman, Wilson brings a ton of experience to the Wild's relatively-inexperienced bench. He has spent the past 20 years as an assistant or associate coach with the New York Islanders, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning.
Relatively inexperienced is an understatement. Maybe Wilson will teach Todd Richards to stop yelling “Line Change! Line Change!” when the opponent has the puck and charging at your own goalie...
Quote:
Wilson began coaching hockey 24 years before Todd Richards’ playing career even ended. In fact, when Wilson began coaching his alma mater, the University of North Dakota, in 1978 as an assistant, Richards was just 12 years old.
This sounds like a little bit of a dig. Maybe Richards has been coaching since he was three? Sorry, that’s an insult to Sheppard. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ”Hitchcock”
He’s a big believer in proper positional play and believes strongly that everything starts from your net out. Protecting your goalie is the prime asset he really believes in.
Oh, thank gawd. This throws the reins back on Schultz, who should never be joining the rush or charging the net. Reins are back on Burns. Maybe this means that our D will actually be collapsing around our goalie instead of spread out at the point trying to play the body or sprawling out blocking shots with their foreheads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ”Hitchcock”
He was really valuable for me because I came in with a bunch of new ideas, and things that worked in the minors did not in the NHL. The players were too good, were too smart, and they figured it out quickly.
Good idea. Maybe Wilson will teach Richards that playing a 4-1-0 system is a bad thing, especially when the “1” is only there because they are too slow to get into the play with the other D…
Quote:
So does Wilson's hiring indicate a change in how the defensemen will play? I hear Wilson is rigid in the way he thinks the defensemen should play, and while I'm told he'll always defer to the head coach, many people I've talked to say Wilson often scoffed in Dallas at letting the defensemen roam free. And a big part of Richards' system is allowing the defensemen to be a big part of the offense. But the Wild gave up 42 more goals last season than 2008-09, so maybe something's giving here.
Something had to give. Even Fletcher made the point a few times since the season ended that we gave up too many goals. It’s hard to blame Ramsey because there was a lot of micro-managing of the D by Richards and Barr. Remember the bad D change with Barker half on the bench and the opponent scored a shorty? Yeah, it was Richards and Barr directly that line change with Ramsey sitting back with a big WTF look on his face. I paused and replayed that part of the game over and over again, having a good chuckle.

My own thoughts?

Wilson is a good hire. When the team starts to really tank and it’s time to make a head coaching change, Wilson can step into the role and get the team back on track. I think I could get used to saying HCRW. I jest, but at least we have a good veteran coach to step in when it does actually come down to making that change.

And yes, I agree that this is really bashing Todd Richards in a way. I think it was Richards himself that said he “didn’t need” an assistant to replace Ramsey. Well, Todd, guess what?

You do.

Old
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
This throws the reins back on Schultz, who should never be joining the rush or charging the net. Reins are back on Burns. Maybe this means that our D will actually be collapsing around our goalie instead of spread out at the point trying to play the body or sprawling out blocking shots with their foreheads.
All very good things.

Quote:
Maybe Wilson will teach Richards that playing a 4-1-0 system is a bad thing, especially when the “1” is only there because they are too slow to get into the play with the other D…

But yeah, 4-1 is not a good system. 2-1-2 and 2-2-1 have their moments...but not 4-1 like it was in October and November.

Quote:
Wilson is a good hire. When the team starts to really tank and it’s time to make a head coaching change, Wilson can step into the role and get the team back on track. I think I could get used to saying HCRW.
When he's been an assistant for his whole career and is 60, I sure don't think he's in the wings waiting for Richards to fail.

If anything, Hitchcock is salivating over the job like an all-you-can-eat special at Ponderosa. Man I'd take him a lot more seriously if he was under 250.

Old
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Wilson is a good hire. When the team starts to really tank and it’s time to make a head coaching change, Wilson can step into the role and get the team back on track. I think I could get used to saying HCRW. I jest, but at least we have a good veteran coach to step in when it does actually come down to making that change.
I sort of feel that Fletcher hired Mike Yeo (for better or for worse) to be the next guy.

Old
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I should have stated "temporarily" step into that role.