HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Jersey & Logo Talk (Green To Stay Confirmed!)

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2010, 01:22 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
I've liked most the designs on here so far. The pdf I did was a little busy, but how about the first Stars logo (without the small Dallas script over it) when Minnesota brought it in around 92. Then add the recent bold DALLAS script above it. I really like the tradition of the original Stars logo, but really thought the DALLAS logo is sharp too. Not that anything needs to be done to any of the logos, but I'm sure it could be combined and adjusted to look good.
I think you're trying too hard to force disparate elements together. There's really nothing traditional or noteworthy about the original Star-shape logo. It was used for a couple of years and then replaced by a superior version. Jamming together 2 different kinds of fonts (the rounded ST/\RS text and the sharp angles of the DALLAS text) into one mark is bad design.

And trying to make a "D" version of the North Stars' mark has been attempted many times by many people and never comes out right. The letter just wasn't meant to work that way. It will always pale in comparison to that which it emulates.

Old
08-10-2010, 02:57 PM
northstarsforever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
I've liked most the designs on here so far. The pdf I did was a little busy, but how about the first Stars logo (without the small Dallas script over it) when Minnesota brought it in around 92. Then add the recent bold DALLAS script above it. I really like the tradition of the original Stars logo, but really thought the DALLAS logo is sharp too. Not that anything needs to be done to any of the logos, but I'm sure it could be combined and adjusted to look good.
Yeah don't like the D Northstars style.

Old
08-10-2010, 03:46 PM
TrueGrit

Here's a D logo I prefer, jersey in green could look good.

Another cool one, I think the number of the player might look cool in the little Texas shape on the right shoulder.

Get rid of DALLAS on it too

Old
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

One of my fav

Old
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Meh, why not.

Old
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
piqued

The problem I have with the latest D logo posted, for example, is what does the arrow mean? It's just kind of there now for the sake of echoing the old design. With Minnesota it was meant to signify the cardinal direction north as it would appear on a map, or even the idea of looking up in the sky to see the north star. It doesn't really make sense anymore.

Old
08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
This one is my favorite, but in my opinion the old North Stars green should be below the Dallas Stars green on the sleeves to give the sweater more balance. Oh, and bring back the white shoulders.
Good suggestions. This is the last one I'm going to do for the time being.

Bottom line is that I think something like this would sell... big time.

Old
08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I would...without a doubt...buy that the second it went on the shelves.

Old
08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
IniNew

Quote:
The problem I have with the latest D logo posted, for example, is what does the arrow mean? It's just kind of there now for the sake of echoing the old design. With Minnesota it was meant to signify the cardinal direction north as it would appear on a map, or even the idea of looking up in the sky to see the north star. It doesn't really make sense anymore.
Last time I checked, there is still a North direction in Dallas, and there is also still a North Star. Both of those reasonings behind the arrow work for any location.

How about, the AAC is north of the old Reunion Arena?

Old
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Dude, that is a pretty sweet design. I agree with the overall sentiment, bring green back into the picture in a big way. I think it makes too much sense for it to happen though.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Absolutely. I think thats my favorite posted here so far. Its so simple and clean without being boring. I know you said you werent going to do another for awhile, but I wonder what a white version of this layout would look like.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:

that is far better than the first (wayyyyy to busy), I dig that. I wasn't feeling the first one posted. I also don't like the *D logo

Old
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
One of my fav
I sort of like that jersey but I would change it a bit. The D Logo is ok but it strikes me as being a better shoulder patch. However with a little tweaking, the secondary logo could make for one hell of a nice crest, IMO.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
I think you're trying too hard to force disparate elements together. There's really nothing traditional or noteworthy about the original Star-shape logo. It was used for a couple of years and then replaced by a superior version. Jamming together 2 different kinds of fonts (the rounded ST/\RS text and the sharp angles of the DALLAS text) into one mark is bad design.

And trying to make a "D" version of the North Stars' mark has been attempted many times by many people and never comes out right. The letter just wasn't meant to work that way. It will always pale in comparison to that which it emulates.
I'll admit the first one (Stars.pdf) was a little busy, but last years DALLAS like in Starnsy's 2nd design over the traditional STARS logo would not be completely diseperate. I don't get how the original Stars logo is not traditional, it defines the transition from North Stars to Stars in Minnesota which on 6/9/93 carried over to Dallas. Then they got creative and put the word Dallas over it. Difference of opinion, but I think the logo defines the team. Anyway, what would be wrong with changing the small clean Dallas font to the third jersey DALLAS. Minor adjustments to font or logo sizing would make it look slightly respectable IMO.

No offense, to the D-Star one, because it's clean and imaginitive, but I think the N Star was a bit more natural in appearance.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I would...without a doubt...buy that the second it went on the shelves.
In a heart beat.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I really don't like that D logo. It reminds me too much of the old Broncos logo with the star just being placed really awkwardly.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
How about thinking of it as pointing to where the majority of the players on the team come from?

Old
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Wow, that Star Texas flag logo is ****ing awesome.

Old
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I'd buy it without question, and I'm not a big jersey buying fan either.

Old
08-11-2010, 06:53 AM
mattTHERIPPERsanchez
#areyouseriousbro

Send a message via AIM to mattTHERIPPERsanchez
Quote:

Yes it would sell. I would buy one in a heartbeat. I was one that defended the new jerseys when they were unveiled, but since I've gotten so tired of them. This is a perfect injection of excitement into those boring sweaters they sport now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I sort of like that jersey but I would change it a bit. The D Logo is ok but it strikes me as being a better shoulder patch. However with a little tweaking, the secondary logo could make for one hell of a nice crest, IMO.
Stop making us look like the Ducks! I do like that secondary logo with the Texas flag.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattTHERIPPERsanchez View Post
Stop making us look like the Ducks! I do like that secondary logo with the Texas flag.
Yeah... expect the Ducks to switch to a jersey with just the webbed D instead of the full wordmark in the near future making the resemblance even more uncomfortable.

The Texas flag logo strikes me as a more fitting option for Cedar Park. Certainly way better than their current bastardized alternate-dimension logo.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Yeah... expect the Ducks to switch to a jersey with just the webbed D instead of the full wordmark in the near future making the resemblance even more uncomfortable.

The Texas flag logo strikes me as a more fitting option for Cedar Park. Certainly way better than their current bastardized alternate-dimension logo.
which one looks like the ducks? I guess maybe the one with the texas stars alternate logo? I can sort of see it, but I dunno I guess the colors probably dont come off real well, but I assumed the jersey is actually a green color which just looks really dark like a black.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:21 AM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I know you said you werent going to do another for awhile, but I wonder what a white version of this layout would look like.
Just when I think I'm out... they draw me back in.

I did some slight tinkering with the striping to make it work against a white background, but I think it's generally in the spirit of the previous design:

Side rant that nobody may care about:
Ever since the star-patterned jerseys took over for both home and away, the Stars' white sweaters have all suffered from "double outlining syndrome", that is, all of the numbers and letters had both a gold and a black border. Sounds fun in theory, yes, but in practice it makes names practically impossible to read unless you're standing 5 feet from the player or already know exactly what you're looking at. A single border improves legibility considerably and looks cleaner in general.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:28 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Just when I think I'm out... they draw me back in.

I did some slight tinkering with the striping to make it work against a white background, but I think it's generally in the spirit of the previous design:

Side rant that nobody may care about:
Ever since the star-patterned jerseys took over for both home and away, the Stars' white sweaters have all suffered from "double outlining syndrome", that is, all of the numbers and letters had both a gold and a black border. Sounds fun in theory, yes, but in practice it makes names practically impossible to read unless you're standing 5 feet from the player or already know exactly what you're looking at. A single border improves legibility considerably and looks cleaner in general.
That is a thing of beauty. Those should be our home and away jerseys. Oh yeah. Since youve now created nearly perfect home and away jerseys, you might as well create the ultimate 3rd jersey to go with them ;-)

Old
08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
jacksongs

Love the green mock jerseys, but would a bright green or a white and green jersey sell in Dallas? Agreed it could be better long-term for branding and would look better on-ice, but in the short term I'm not sure how popular these would be in shops. Hopefully I will be proven incorrect come 2011!

So, given the news of the green third jersey, what are our team's colours? I understood the black and white jerseys of the last few years to be a conscious move towards establishing those as team colours, while still retaining the green and gold of the logo.

Instead of a green third, I'd much rather see more green incorporated into the home, and the third be saved for something more novel every couple of seasons. Perhaps the introduction of a green third suggests the black and white are here to say (unless there is overwhelming public support for the green third). I also question the ongoing use of white as a lining/logo colour when gold alone would be sufficient (though I'm happy with a white jersey).

My ideal combination:

Home: black/dark green (see Hawaii Warriors with gold instead of white)
Away: white
Third: novelty, eg reintroduce the 'star' design somehow

Closed Thread