HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tinordi to play in London

Old
08-11-2010, 09:36 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
I checked quickly and I didn't see the tsn link report, so there you go :

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=330188
<----- THIS

I had 3 wishes since draft day of this year, and I am dead serious.

1. Leblanc would go to the Q, I really didn't like Harvard at all as a hockey program, say what you want, you can't get the same expereince when you play World Juniors, and possibly dominate a league. A few weeks later Leblanc joins the Montreal Juniors even after saying a few times he'd go back to Harvard.

2. Avtsin would come to NA to play in Hamilton or Juniors. I was really hoping for this, but just a little bit after, I saw Avtsin saying he will stay with Russia for another year, and that got my hopes down for sure. A few weeks later, Avtsin's decision changes, he nulls his contract with his new KHL team and inks a 3 year with MTL. Pretty great day imo.

3. Tinordi plays with the London Knights instead of Notre-Dame. I was abit upset when I heard at the draft he was going to Notre-Dame, and that he would focus on strength there, where you can focus on Strength in Juniors, and develop his game much more which is what he needed. I love London Knights for their Reputation, and for their results, they are great for grooming stars, and when the Hunter Brothers see a potential star, and they know what he can be they pursue the ******* until they are blue in the face. A few months later, Tinordi agrees to leave his thoughts of Notre-Dame and Join London Knights, where he will be a massive force imo, and his offensive game will seriously improve. What he learns with the Hunter Bros, compared to what he could have learned in Notre-Dame could be the difference between him being a top 4 Dman, and a Top Pairing Dman.

This summer has been pretty epic imo, and I am so happy to see the dominos finally falling in the favor of the Habs for once.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs have to be pleased with this, I think. Maybe ever so slightly cautious based on the Kostitsyn example. Tinordi seems like a CHL-style player, and I think his hoped-for development curve has to fit better in the CHL. We drafted him to be big and tough and snarly, and while it's not impossible to develop that part of his game in the NCAA too (there are always examples, Greene and others), it seems like an easier path in the CHL.

And for all that the Hunter style game can have some unwanted side effects from time to time, the main thing is that they play the heck out of their key guys, and if Tinordi has it in him to be the player we hope he is, then he could be in a spot to get 25 minutes, and if his skills allow it, he can get exposure to powerplay time and play with skill players, perhaps to greater degree than the slow break-in process of playing on a top NCAA team.

CHL vs. NCAA isn't automatically a CHL-win in every case for me, but in the specifics of Tinordi-to-London, it's an easy win, I say.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think its telling that he went on his own without the security of the NHL contract that Leblanc got.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
This summer has been pretty epic imo, and I am so happy to see the dominos finally falling in the favor of the Habs for once.
True. Hearing Tinordi talk, there was just no chance he'd even consider London. What we heard about Leblanc is that he was going back in Harvard. And then, with all the various reports, nothing was too sure about Avtsin. But now, all those players are indeed going in routes we'd all like to see them going.

Like Koseegin mentioned I think in another thread, we don't know the kind of role our management played, but the end result is that they have to be applauded for what happened with those 3 kids.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Just imagine...

Tinordi plays offense like Carlson....

Hits and fights like a bad ass....

and Improves his offensive ability big time in one of the best places to do so? Hunter bros obviously see Offensively potential with Tinordi, and thats saying something.
I dont really cares about his offensive ability , just a + if it happens but I doubt it if the reports are true and he doesn't have great puck handling at his age I don't think he'll ever have great puck handling , hard to teach.I just want him to be the mean defensive defenseman that players hate to play against.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
True. Hearing Tinordi talk, there was just no chance he'd even consider London. What we heard about Leblanc is that he was going back in Harvard. And then, with all the various reports, nothing was too sure about Avtsin. But now, all those players are indeed going in routes we'd all like to see them going.

Like Koseegin mentioned I think in another thread, we don't know the kind of role our management played, but the end result is that they have to be applauded for what happened with those 3 kids.
Yeah I agree, I think PG had a little tug and pull but I doubt he was a huge factor, he just probably gave some strong advice that each player took to heart

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
JrHockeyFan

Link to London Free Press article if not already posted

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knight.../14985531.html

Commitment is verbal at present

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy fill out the Knights D which is pretty good right now

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
29dryden29

I was just going to say that it was reported in the Free Press here now but I see it is linked above me.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs have to be pleased with this, I think. Maybe ever so slightly cautious based on the Kostitsyn example. Tinordi seems like a CHL-style player, and I think his hoped-for development curve has to fit better in the CHL. We drafted him to be big and tough and snarly, and while it's not impossible to develop that part of his game in the NCAA too (there are always examples, Greene and others), it seems like an easier path in the CHL.

And for all that the Hunter style game can have some unwanted side effects from time to time, the main thing is that they play the heck out of their key guys, and if Tinordi has it in him to be the player we hope he is, then he could be in a spot to get 25 minutes, and if his skills allow it, he can get exposure to powerplay time and play with skill players, perhaps to greater degree than the slow break-in process of playing on a top NCAA team.

CHL vs. NCAA isn't automatically a CHL-win in every case for me, but in the specifics of Tinordi-to-London, it's an easy win, I say.
Top guys get top minutes for sure. However, that ice time is earned. No freebies

There has been nothing standard on the PP for a while in London. It has been 5 forwards, or 4 + 1 sometimes. The PP time for Tinordi may be slow in coming but you never know

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Top guys get top minutes for sure. However, that ice time is earned. No freebies
For sure, earned within the context of the team structure. Just unconventional relative to the way most other hockey teams in the universe dole out their minutes, that's all. Extra "free" minutes compared to what he'd get on another team. If he earns it within the Knights' pecking order. Definitely good for Tinordi if he can get it, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I'm *** Happy!!!!

YEAH!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:55 AM
29dryden29

I still think if it happens this is a terrible decision by this kid he would be further ahead to go to ND and get his education paid for while playing hockey. I love UWO but when you get a free ride deal to play a sport take it.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Okay I'd like to think Gauthier has something to do with our prospects taking these kinds of decisions. I was not a fan of his promotion, but I really like how he's trying to develop our youth (PK Subban to Leblanc to Avtsin to Tinordi).

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Okay I'd like to think Gauthier has something to do with our prospects taking these kinds of decisions. I was not a fan of his promotion, but I really like how he's trying to develop our youth (PK Subban to Leblanc to Avtsin to Tinordi).
He's also acquired more youth recently with Eller, Boyd(though not really a prospect anymore) and Schultz.

The organization in the last year have brought in Pouliot, Pyatt(though Gainey made the decisions for these two, but Gauthier was still the pro-scout at the time) Boyd, Palushaj, Schultz and Eller through trades and have ensured a proper development path with Tinordi, Subban(Gainey as Gm), Avtsin and Leblanc.

I guess Gauthier meant it when he said that how you win is with cheap, but good young depth. Looks like he is making moves to ensure that it happens.

I guess he'd rather fill holes by using younger players on cheaper deals rather than putting a plug on the hole with overpaid veterans which Gainey was guilty of. Already we see a clear change of mentality in one aspect.

Not saying all these players will make the nhl and make an impact, but Gauthier is definitely raising the probability that these players could make an impact by acquiring more of them and ensuring the receive the best development.

Last edited by Andy: 08-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
He's also acquired more youth recently with Eller, Boyd(though not really a prospect anymore) and Schultz.

The organization in the last year have brought in Pouliot, Pyatt(though Gainey made the decisions for these two, but Gauthier was still the pro-scout at the time) Boyd, Palushaj, Schultz and Eller through trades and have ensured a proper development path with Tinordi, Subban(Gainey as Gm), Avtsin and Leblanc.

I guess Gauthier meant it when he said that how you win is with cheap, but good young depth. Looks like he is making moves to ensure that it happens.

I guess he'd rather fill holes by using younger players on cheaper deals rather than putting a plug on the hole with overpaid veterans which Gainey was guilty of. Already we see a clear change of mentality in one aspect.
Great post. It's nice to go through a summer without signings like Smolinski, Samsonov, Hamrlik, Laraque. I think additions such as Boyd and probably White (and retaining Darche for dirt cheap) to our bottom 6 make much more sense than signing old guys to expensive deals.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Great post. It's nice to go through a summer without signings like Smolinski, Samsonov, Hamrlik, Laraque. I think additions such as Boyd and probably White (and retaining Darche for dirt cheap) to our bottom 6 make much more sense than signing old guys to expensive deals.
Yeah, definitely onto something here.

Last summer we signed Gill, Bergeron and Mara... while not all bad, they effectively blocked Weber, O'Byrne and Subban from moving forward. The extra time may not have been a bad thing for any of them, but it's nice to go into a season where all three of those guys (at least until Markov is better) could conceivably play significant minutes in the majors.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Link to London Free Press article if not already posted

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knight.../14985531.html

Commitment is verbal at present

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy fill out the Knights D which is pretty good right now
Funny how they are saying he's got good offensive abilities while all the scouting reports were saying he's so-so in that department.

I mean, take John Carlsson and just add size?!?!?! I think Hunter is pushing it...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:23 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Funny how they are saying he's got good offensive abilities while all the scouting reports were saying he's so-so in that department.

I mean, take John Carlsson and just add size?!?!?! I think Hunter is pushing it...
if there aren't quotes around it, hunter didn't say it. The writer tried to fancy up his article and failed.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:

Hunter doesn't say that. The writer does.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
JL17

Quote:

Don't trust the scouting reports from the Free Press. Hunter didn't use that. That's Morris trying to find a comparable which wasn't very good. One Free Press writer that covers the team throughout the season acts somewhat like Pierre and oh and ah's over the players. Morris usually writes columns that pick players apart and most people find demeaning. There is comparsions available but nobody can touch John's offensive output and his ability to take over the game. At this point. I'll wait to see Jarred play but right now I'll say he's better the John in the leadership department and defensively.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Actually Mcdonagh is on track to make the roster of the NYR. Fischer was a bust before the NCAA did anything with him.

You can learn to hit while wearing a cage, leave the pointless brawling to 4th-line goons and 3rd-pair defencemen.
Really?

I don't think you really have any insider information for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
A note here: Everyone is assuming the Habs are thrilled about this and that the OHL > NCAA.

Keep in mind the Habs have said over and over that they like NCAA players because the CBA gives them longer to make up their mind, which is key under the 50 man rules.

Leblanc was clearly a calculated move, they judged him close and coaxed him over for his own good. That's why he signed immediately.

Tinordi? I wouldn't be shocked if the Habs are a little annoyed at this news, to be honest.
I think that applies more to the majority of their picks, IOW mostly the late rounders. The ones that you don't know, when you cast the pick, how long it'll take for them to reach the professional level. I think they had fair idea how long it would take for Tinordi and Leblanc.

Last edited by vokiel: 08-11-2010 at 12:39 PM.
vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

This would also mean we can see his highlights much more easily.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Really?

Actually, to my great surprised, I read that too when he signed his deal with the Rags ; supposedly somebody in front office loves him and he's given a realistic chance to start in the year in the NHL.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Lucius

Quote:
I think that applies more to the majority of their picks, IOW mostly the late rounders. The ones that you don't know, when you cast the pick, how long it'll take for them to reach the professional level. I think they had fair idea how long it would take for Tinordi and Leblanc.
I don't know... How many of our recent 1st rounders have been NCAA vs. other leagues?

Leblanc, Tinordi, McDonaugh, Fischer...

Throw in Kristo in the 2nd round.

I think there's been a concerted effort to go NCAA in all rounds.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Really?

McD signed with the Rags and many of their fans have him penciled in their lineup fwiw.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think its telling that he went on his own without the security of the NHL contract that Leblanc got.
He didn't have an NHL contract as security, but I'm sure London will foot the bill if he goes to university at some point. CHL teams pay big bucks to guys turning their backs on NCAA(like Esposito). There may be clauses like Tinordi making the NHL and playing X number of games but I'm sure he has that in his contract as a security net.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote