HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty - will he make the team this year?

Old
08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Not evereybody are similar. Subban is a player, Pacioretty is another. How much times Subban needed to become what we saw last year has nothing to do with Pacioretty's situation.

Two, completely, different, situations.
It is. But my point is that there has been exagerations about the whole rushing a prospect thing. I feel we have taken it too far. That's all.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Megaforce

We'll see if he bulked up over the summer, the mandatory vitamin treatment might have given him some extra strength in the upper body, hopefully the same for skinnyboy Pouliot.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
FF de Mars

I just saw a Leblanc interview on RDS. Looks like he hit the gym. He's not skinny anymore. I really hope Pacioretty and Pouliot bluked up like Louis over the summer. If only Leblanc could stop saying "no" after every single questions... even when he means yes.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
We'll see if he bulked up over the summer, the mandatory vitamin treatment might have given him some extra strength in the upper body, hopefully the same for skinnyboy Pouliot.
Agreed...gains in strength/stamina will go a long way for both Poulio and Pacioretty.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
The problem with Pac is that he was slated to become a 2nd line power forward.
The problem is that people expect him to be a power forward. They expected the same from Latendresse.

But neither player is a power forward. People need to understand that being a big North American player doesn't make one a power forward. When people -- management/coaching staff included -- stop having those ridiculous expectations, those players may be able to become quality assets for the team. Had Latendresse been asked to play his game -- Carbonneau let him play his game and he was improving -- he would have been much better for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
With a center like Eller I don't see why he wouldn't make the team. We finally have an offensive 3rd line.

Cammy-Pleks-AK
Pouliot-Gomez-Gio
Paccio-Eller-Pyatt
Lapierre-Boyd-Moen
An offensive line doesn't have Pyatt on it.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Megaforce

Why does everybody think Dustin Boyd will be a regular? He rode a lot of pine in a pretty lousy Calgary team and he's not big, doesn't fight and can't snipe. Looks like a Kostopolous without the heart.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
With a center like Eller I don't see why he wouldn't make the team. We finally have an offensive 3rd line.

Cammy-Pleks-AK
Pouliot-Gomez-Gio
Paccio-Eller-Pyatt
Lapierre-Boyd-Moen
I can't see JM demoting Moen to the fourth line, it's how coaches lose their jobs, getting respected veterans mad. Moen did not sign with the Habs to be a fourth line player and will not appreciate being demoted.

Unless Moen has an horrendous camp, he will be on the third line (hell last year JM had him playing on the 1st and 2nd line).

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
JrHockeyFan

One goal in the Calder Cup playoffs was not very reassuring

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I can't see JM demoting Moen to the fourth line, it's how coaches lose their jobs, getting respected veterans mad. Moen did not sign with the Habs to be a fourth line player and will not appreciate being demoted.

Unless Moen has an horrendous camp, he will be on the third line (hell last year JM had him playing on the 1st and 2nd line).
If Travis ****** Moen gets mad because he plays the 4th line, and expects to play 1st-2nd line minutes as last year... and does not realize last year we got ****** by injuries... then he can GTFO as far as I'm concerned.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
The guy barely played in the AHL at all, while guys like Kyle Turris and JVR (drafted 2nd and 3rd overall in 2007) were still learning down there. This is ridiculous.
That's just wrong. JVR played a whopping 7 games with the Phantoms and enjoyed a pretty successful rookie season on the 3rd line in Philly.

Turris played a full season in the NHL before going back to the AHL because he was extremely weak physically. He'll be the Yotes' first line center next year after a strong finish last season in Sacramento.

Pacioretty is ready for 3rd line duties under Martin next year, if healthy. I would love him on a line with Eller and Moen. That would be interesting. A 2-way shutdown line with speed and size that would bring secondary scoring would be an upgrade over last year's 3rd line, IMO.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I think another year in the ahl would do him some good, but a 3rd line of

patches - Eller - boyd could be lethal.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

I love to see that, but it's rather young and we know JM and youth, but imagine the speed and hustle of that line!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I love to see that, but it's rather young and we know JM and youth, but imagine the speed and hustle of that line!
Yeah, not so sure about seeing patches on that line, but I can see an eller/boyd duo being used throughout the year. Moen might be slotted in next to them for a veteran presence, like you said, but the man is pretty much offensively retarded when he isn't charging in on gonchar. If we still had kosto, i think he'd be perfect for it.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
That's just wrong. JVR played a whopping 7 games with the Phantoms and enjoyed a pretty successful rookie season on the 3rd line in Philly.

Turris played a full season in the NHL before going back to the AHL because he was extremely weak physically. He'll be the Yotes' first line center next year after a strong finish last season in Sacramento.

Pacioretty is ready for 3rd line duties under Martin next year, if healthy. I would love him on a line with Eller and Moen. That would be interesting. A 2-way shutdown line with speed and size that would bring secondary scoring would be an upgrade over last year's 3rd line, IMO.
JVR was a ****ing 2nd overall pick for christ sake. And he actually took longer than Pacioretty, not that special of a talent, to play a game in the NHL. He still played longer in minor leagues.

As for Turris, well he still was not even ready for the NHL last year according to the Coyotes sraff.

Pacioretty is not a physical player, he has no aggression, no scoring touch. He still has to get more than 10 goals in one pro season for christ sake. And that's even including what he did in the AHL. He had a tough time scoring on a great Hamilton team last year, and you actually think he's ready for the NHL?

I'm done trying to convince people here. Listening to you, we would go through the same ****ing pattern next summer...

"But but but... He's NHL ready!"

No he's not! Neither physically, neither hockey-wise, neither mentally, neither statistically. Detroit is probably the best in the league at developing players at the max of their talent, and that's because they firmly believe that the longer players are playing on the AHL or in any other pro league in Europe for that matter, the more ready they are to play in the NHL.

But once again, let's do what we did with S. Kostitsyn, Price and Latendresse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Eller and Boyd need someone to make them room on the ice. Pacioretty was lamentably weak last year. I don't know if it's actually Timmins and the rest of the Habs players development crop who told him to, but that was freakin' pathetic last year to see him get knocked off the puck by usually soft guys, especially when the guy is supposed to be a power forward.

Eller and Boyd have to play together. They both have 30+ points potential, which is great for 3rd line players. I still would like to give them a player who'll make them some room. And in my opinion, this is Ryan White's spot to lose. I still think this guy has higher potential than some might think, and that he's exactly what this team is looking for. He would bring aggression and a solid forechecking presence to this forwards crop, and he could let the other two guys do their thing while taking care of backing down and of defensive business.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:48 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Eller and Boyd need someone to make them room on the ice. Pacioretty was lamentably weak last year. I don't know if it's actually Timmins and the rest of the Habs players development crop who told him to, but that was freakin' pathetic last year to see him get knocked off the puck by usually soft guys, especially when the guy is supposed to be a power forward.

Eller and Boyd have to play together. They both have 30+ points potential, which is great for 3rd line players. I still would like to give them a player who'll make them some room. And in my opinion, this is Ryan White's spot to lose. I still think this guy has higher potential than some might think, and that he's exactly what this team is looking for. He would bring aggression and a solid forechecking presence to this forwards crop, and he could let the other two guys do their thing while taking care of backing down and of defensive business.
I am just curious as to what HF poster told you this, because i know the Habs brass never saw Patches as a power forward.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Patofqc*

Pacioretty is another one of those great Timmins first round pick. This guy does not have any hockey sense. He looks a bit like Chad Kilger, great size, nice speed, clueless on the ice.

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Pacioretty is another one of those great Timmins first round pick. This guy does not have any hockey sense. He looks a bit like Chad Kilger, great size, nice speed, clueless on the ice.
Yeah we know he would be the opposite, like a great prospect who will come into his own with time had his name been Maxime Plante !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:19 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
I actually kind of agree, but I still think there's hope for him.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I am not saying it won't be like that but, the guy has over 20 points for his last 2 seasons why would we put him on the 4th line?

He grinds it out and is fast. I think a line of:

Boyd Eller Lapierre
Moen Pyatt Darche

That makes more sense. The bottom 3 are pure grinders, they are not point gets, they chip in, but are pure grinders. The line of Moen Pyatt Darche had 26 points last season together and Boyd had 24 by himself.

I am saying the lineup should be this way:

Cammalleri Plekanec Kostitsyn
Pouliot Gomez Gionta
Boyd Eller Lapierre
Moen Pyatt Darche

That makes sense. You want Boyd to progress not regress by seeing 4th line minutes. I think with Montreal's speed up front and offensive skills he could put up close to 30 points on the 3rd line.
If Pacioretty looks good out of camp put him on that wing next to Eller, bump Lapierre down to the 4th and put Darche in the pressbox and that might be a very good lineup IMHO.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:45 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
He'll be recalled in case of injuries. He will probably end the year in Montréal. He wasn't as bad as you make it to be. In 2009-2010, he was playing with a team that hadn't geled yet, was in direct competition with Sergei Kost and Lats whom he beat out in the depth chart, and then there was the Markov injury and the crappy start of the season. I wouldn't be so quick to cast him out. It wasn't the perfect conditions. Now, the team has chemistry, everybody knows its role, it should be more natural for him.
Which showed how badly Martin misjudged all 3 players and nothing else. Pacioretty had no business being in the NHL while Latendresse scored 27 goals...

EDIT: replied before reading the whole thread. Disregard. Normally I'd delete, but delete function is turned off for some unfathomable reason.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post
Hi,

I liked what I saw from Pacioretty the few times I've seen him. I am wondering if Hans fans expect him to make the team this year? If not, is he in the plans? And when?

Thanks
I also like Pacioretty and still believe in him, my only issue with him is that he keeps playing with his head down and getting rocked, I am afraid he will get a concussion if he doesn't start keeping his head up.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:21 PM
LeMAD

Paccioretty is underrated by the fans. He has everything to become a solid NHLer. But it will take a few years.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
He had a bad year. Looked like he lost his confidence more than anything.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I think Patches with Confidence is dangerous, and I say he fights for a spot just like any other player. Patches should start in Hamilton and show why he deserves to be in the NHL.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If he earns it, there is no doubt he should make the team. However, if he's on the fence of getting cut or making the club I rather have him start the year with the Dogs. He's shown flashes of his potential here and there in the NHL but he has confidence issues and injury problems. I think one solid year in the AHL can help him get over both.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote