HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Stick

Old
08-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Bulls9220

vCash: 500
Best Stick

Im looking to buy a new stick. Which stick should i get? My current one is The Bauer Vapor X:40. Im a foward with a hard and pretty accurate shot. Any Suggestions???

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
blueberrydanish

Well "Best Stick" is opinion between the top ends of brands. But..........I love one95s =]

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Islander102

Its all personal preference. Easton is by far the most popular brand but theyre just okay to me. The Best sticks I have ever used are the Bauer one90/one 95 in terms of all around feel. The puck felt better than any stick I have ever used on those two models, it felt like I was in total control of it at all times. The stick felt great as you were passing or shooting, and had a very good shot.

The Reebok 10k for me is the one that has become my go to. Admittedly, the puck doesnt feel nearly as good on it as the Bauer, the blade feels stiffer, and you get less puck feel, but with the right mechanics, wrist and snapshots leave this stick like an absolute gunshot. It is the only composite I have ever used that noticeably increased my release time and velocity vs another similarly priced stick, the puck rocketlaunches off this thing. For me, that was worth the decreased puck feel. I have enough puck skills, that I know where the puck is on my stick, even if it doesnt feel like the puck was meant for my stick like it does with the one95. I am not really a dangler, so I didnt need any more puck feel than that, but the able to release the puck that much faster, and shoot it that much harder was something that I felt improved my game more.

That is not a knock on the one95 shot. It let me have a very good shot, and every stick in that range will let you have a very good shot. But for me, with the RBK, I had a gunshot. You said you have a good shot, so if a lot of your game is based on your wrister and snapper, I would recommend this stick. If you are looking for a better all around performer, you might want to try something else though. If you love the slapper, I would recommend the one95. I took my best slapshots ever with that stick, but slappers arent something my game is built upon, and if I need to take one now, which is rare, the 10k still provides you with an acceptable one, but nothing over the top as far as the slapshot goes, unlike the one 95, which really lets you lock and load.

I used the Vapor stick and it did nothing for me, so its all personal preference. I hope whatever stick you pick meshes to your game real well.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Thepandamancan

I love my one 95 shaft. It's light, yet very durable...so it's perfect for hard shots.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 02:27 AM
metric

Like with everything it really is just personal preference. However, I've seen a lot of people mention that they really like the ONE95.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
dpixel8

Completely personal preference. Mine would be Easton ST's, specifically Int. Heatley 65. I just love it. And for the price (usually last year's model) I think it's worth it. I am not one to spend $250+ on a stick.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:56 AM
pass the bisk

For me it is not as much about the stick as it is the flex. Sticks don't really matter too much to me. I can use Bauer, RBK, Easton, etc. Same with curves too. But flex is what I'm really specific about. Especially being a forward who doesn't take many clappers. I usually use around 75-82 flex just to get off wicked wristers. Curvers usually just take a warmup to adjust to.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:17 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
Completely personal preference. Mine would be Easton ST's, specifically Int. Heatley 65. I just love it. And for the price (usually last year's model) I think it's worth it. I am not one to spend $250+ on a stick.
Can snag one95 two-pieces for 140$ =]

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

One95

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another vote for the One95...best all around stick, although I really like the Harrow 2-piece sticks too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Devil Dancer

The One95 is great, but I've finally adjusted to my newish Vapor X:60, and it's been great too. The slapshots are quite as good as they were with the One95, but most of my shots are wrist shots anyway.

I guess I'd recommend the One95, especially since its price has come down a bit recently.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Hale The Villain

Easton S17, easily the best stick I have ever used. The shots from my other sticks (TPS R10, Bauer One90, Easton ST) just don't compare. It's light, very managable and great for any type of shot.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
goalscorer

I'll go against Bauer. I have purchased two of their top end sticks and easily broke them within two months. Both taking slap shots. The high end Eastons worked great for me. Durable and a good feel. I have heard great things about Warrior and Rbk. I personally am going to give the Rbk 10K a shot.

Speaking of Rbk. I know they don't carry the Modano curve anymore. Did the Hamrik replace it? It looks to be the same curve, but we don't have a pro shop in my area so I havent seen it in person. Thanks in advance.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Hamrlik/P34 is like the Modano.

I've been wanting to try an Easton stick for quite some time now, but they never come down far enough in price. And I had a couple Easton blades that went soft and cracked too quickly.

I'm also becoming a fan of sticks that load up near the top hand rather than near the blade.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The Hamrlik/P34 is like the Modano.

I've been wanting to try an Easton stick for quite some time now, but they never come down far enough in price. And I had a couple Easton blades that went soft and cracked too quickly.

I'm also becoming a fan of sticks that load up near the top hand rather than near the blade.
I agree with the Easton's. I always wanted one but they never come down in price anywhere. Not retail or pro stock, and I refuse to believe that they are any better then a high end Bauer, Rbk, CCM, or Warrior, that it justifies them never coming down in price.

I too always preferred higher kick points, except on the Reebok. They really got their low kick point sticks right. With most low kick points I felt like I was getting a quicker release but losing power, with the Rbk (both the 7k, and the 10k, which weighs like a feather) I get a quick release, and the fastest shot I have ever had. I refuse to believe that shelling out an extra $50 bucks to get an S19 over a 10k is going to give me anything better besides a more popular brand written on my stick.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I love the way my old 7k Sickick loads up...it's such a piece of crap to look at but shoots so great. There's a 3-4" wood plug in it, it's beat up to hell, and there's a Vapor XXXX blade jammed in so tight it won't come out. But you can feel it flex with the top hand, and I haven't found any other stick that does that.

I'm going to take a look at some Reebok sticks tonight. I am kind of curious about the 6.0.6. to be honest, but I need to feel how it flexes. It's always tough to find something that feels good in a wrist shot position when you're 5'8 (holding the stick with hands 18-24" apart...usually the stick doesn't flex at all).

Old
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I love the way my old 7k Sickick loads up...it's such a piece of crap to look at but shoots so great. There's a 3-4" wood plug in it, it's beat up to hell, and there's a Vapor XXXX blade jammed in so tight it won't come out. But you can feel it flex with the top hand, and I haven't found any other stick that does that.

I'm going to take a look at some Reebok sticks tonight. I am kind of curious about the 6.0.6. to be honest, but I need to feel how it flexes. It's always tough to find something that feels good in a wrist shot position when you're 5'8 (holding the stick with hands 18-24" apart...usually the stick doesn't flex at all).
If you loved the 7k like me, I would recommend getting either the 10k, or a newer 7k. The 10k is an improvement over the 7k, with a slightly better release, and it is the lightest stick I ever used, by a mile. Or stick with what you know in the 7k. The O sticks by Rbk are totally different, the shot comes off nothing like the Sickicks.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What scared me off the 8k/10k was that they were so incredibly stiff. The 65 flex intermediates felt stiffer than my 7k Sickick. I found an older 7k last year on clearance and used it until it broke, it felt a lot whippier than the newer 65 flex models.

That's kind of why I was looking at the O-sticks, hoping the mid-kick made them whippier feeling.

Maybe I just need to get my uncle (former bodybuilder) to lean on the dang things and break them in for me. He was laughing at my 67 flex XXV's and One95 as he uses wood 9950's.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Galchenyuk27
FIRE MT AND MB

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I don't own one myself, but I love the newer Bauer X60 LE sticks. Best stick I've ever used in my opinion. I'd love to be able to see what everyone loves about the Easton sticks, but I guess they're just not for me. I've never been able to see anything special about them, personally.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looking at sticks after work today, the two that felt the best FLEXWISE were the Reebok 303 and the Easton SE16. The 303 was obviously a bit heavy and out of balance, but wasn't as clunky feeling as the 4k. Only had 606 75 flexes in the other hand...might have to look around for one of those as the balance was nice.

Old
08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
desperateblue

I used the high end TPS responses for yrs but I have to say my favorite stick for shooting and stick handling is the trilage from 2 yrs ago the toxic series i believe.
It has a lidstrom type curve.

desperateblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

If you're willing to spend over $200+, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Bauer Vapor X:60 Limited Edition. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...x60-le-sr.html
I have one myself and all I can say is "Oh, my, God" everytime I play with it.

Anyone, I'd recommend it to. It's super light. When I first jumped on the ice with it, I felt like I didn't have a stick in my hands. The feel of the puck is outstanding and the ability to control is enhanced because the feel is absolutely superb. It's deadly accurate and the wristers are rockets.

Not only it'll help you play better, you'll look sick with it too. The all black with the blue touch is ridiculous.

Get it.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:04 AM
RW8

How about when your on a budget? I just got back into hockey after a few years this summer and broke my old Sherwood which I originally got for less than $100 Canadian.

Without knowing too much about sticks I went to pick up a new one since I was set to play later that night. Ended up going with a Vapor X40 which was $100. After the first few games it seems to be good, an improvement over my last stick.

There were also a few sticks there which they said were given to pros to test, then sent out to stores so they were cheaper, iirc the best I found was an S17(maybe S16?) for 140$ but I didnt want to risk getting one of those.

Anyway does anyone have any insight on bang for the buck sticks in case my X40 ends up breaking?

RW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8 View Post
How about when your on a budget? I just got back into hockey after a few years this summer and broke my old Sherwood which I originally got for less than $100 Canadian.

Without knowing too much about sticks I went to pick up a new one since I was set to play later that night. Ended up going with a Vapor X40 which was $100. After the first few games it seems to be good, an improvement over my last stick.

There were also a few sticks there which they said were given to pros to test, then sent out to stores so they were cheaper, iirc the best I found was an S17(maybe S16?) for 140$ but I didnt want to risk getting one of those.

Anyway does anyone have any insight on bang for the buck sticks in case my X40 ends up breaking?
there are always good deals on both pro stock sticks, and the previous year's model on closeout. Dont hesitate to buy either, just know the curve and flex you want because you usually cant return those.

Old
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

X:40 seems to be one of the best sticks for the money out there. Shame they don't have the 67 flex in P91A as they're so dang stiff.