HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury - Overpaid, Obviously. Overrated Too?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Drury - Overpaid, Obviously. Overrated Too?

I'm sick of so many speculation threads about lineups, trade offers etc. So how about some actual talent evaluation about a guy we have all seen (too much of...cough cough) and thats our fearless leader Chris Drury.

Thesis: I think his reputation is clouding the way some Rangers fans evaluate his play since hes been in New York [perhaps his not living up to the contract is clouding my opinion--thats what I'm trying to figure out!!!].

The one positive that shows up game in and game out is that he gives up his body on the penalty kill. Yet, even though that is a valuable part of the penalty kill, I still don't view him as an elite penalty killer because hes not good in puck battles, he doesn't have good range of motion and hes downright bad at clearing pucks.

At even strength he is absolutely not a shutdown center. He is not overpowering (think Holik, J Staal), and he is not the athletic type that can just skate for days and can always disrupt the play (Kesler comes to mind).

And on a related note, has there ever been a player less interested in making an offensive play once he gets the puck in the defensive or neutral zone. Guys like Crosby, Backstrom, and Sedin probably only dump the puck NEEDLESSLY a handful of times during an entire season whereas Drury does it virtually every other shift.

I'll end on a positive by saying that I was very impressed with his play at the Olympics. He and Callahan were able to forecheck extremely well. Well back to the negative - he rarely showed that ability for us.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
pwoz

$7m for a forechecker/PKer. He's a failure and I'm embarrassed to say he's my captain. I can't wait until that contract comes off the books and captain intangible$ is removed from the roster.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Drury is a paradox.

He's a big game player that isn't good enough to lead you to the big games.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:42 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Drury is a paradox.

His last "big game" play was that game in Buffalo.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Garfinkel1

If I could have it my way... he resigns for us, at league minimum.

He is Betts. An older, overpaid Betts with leadership skills and gives his all but at league minimum I would be estatic he's on my team.

This is assuming Drury has class. But, who knows!

Old
08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Salz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
His tying goal vs the Devils with 16 seconds left was pretty sweet. Drury looked really good on Team USA. He needs two very skilled wings between him. He should be put on the line with Gaborik and Frolov. If that can't get him going, nothing will.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Schweiker17

Quote:
ugh dont even remind me

Old
08-11-2010, 11:51 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
His tying goal vs the Devils with 16 seconds left was pretty sweet. Drury looked really good on Team USA. He needs two very skilled wings between him. He should be put on the line with Gaborik and Frolov. If that can't get him going, nothing will.
All Olympic games are big, imo.

Thus, back to the paradox:

Quote:

Old
08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
pwoz

I don't care about his Olympic play. I only care about the 82 games he plays during the season.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
$7m for a forechecker/PKer. He's a failure and I'm embarrassed to say he's my captain. I can't wait until that contract comes off the books and captain intangible$ is removed from the roster.

where do i send the check ?

Old
08-11-2010, 12:02 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
I don't care about his Olympic play. I only care about the 82 games he plays during the season.
The funny thing is maybe if Tortarella used him like Wilson did, he'd be much more productive. And Tortarella was an assistant coach on USA, the saddest part.

I'm not even an Anti-Torts guy either, lol

Old
08-11-2010, 12:05 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
If I could have it my way... he resigns for us, at league minimum.

He is Betts. An older, overpaid Betts with leadership skills and gives his all but at league minimum I would be estatic he's on my team.

This is assuming Drury has class. But, who knows!
I'm tired of this comparison. Even in his worst season he wasn't blair betts. Drury's worst season is still 10x better than Betts best season.

He's vastly overpaid, but he'd get ~$2-3 mil per year on the open market. He's one of the better 3rd liners in the game.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
RangerFan10

I think if anything he's underrated, at least by our own fans. The number of rational fans that realize Drury and Roszival aren't bad hockey players despite their contracts seems to be growing, the number still isn't nearly high enough.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
pwoz

Malhotra was more clutch than Drury last year and had more points, at a fraction of the cap hit.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Vitto79

He's a real good 3rd line C and Pker. 7 million is ridiculous

Old
08-11-2010, 12:18 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Drury's effectiveness as a center is really, really overblown. He's good at faceoffs. That's it. He just doesn't have the puck distribution skills to be an effective center iceman.

Stick him on Anismov's wing on the third line and let him take the defensive zone faceoffs, but don't neuter any line's offense by making him the pivot, imo.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
LamoTheKid

I'm curious to see how our PK will be if/when he leaves. Overpaid, yep. Overrated? Depends on who you talk to.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
pwoz

Sjostrom + Betts = replace Drury's PKing easily. Ah, Betts is in PHILLY long-term.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:30 PM
wa2k99

Drury can't be overrated. Outside of Redden, nobody on this team gets ripped more. And how is Drury to blame for getting 7m along with Gomez. That's on Sather.

What was he supposed to say? "Oh, I'm not that good. Give me 2m per year."

Get real.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Good Job!

i like how the O.P. didnt just bash him all day with his post. we need more of that around here. i like how he made it thought provoking and debateable, and not just a rant. kudos!

id throw in my 2 cents, but im at work.....

Old
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Sjostrom + Betts = replace Drury's PKing easily. Ah, Betts is in PHILLY long-term.
You just went against your own argument by saying it would take two players to replace Drury on the PK.

Sure he is overpaid...there is no argument there. But overrated...nah. I can't see how he can be overrated with the way people bash him on this board...

Old
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think if anything he's underrated, at least by our own fans. The number of rational fans that realize Drury and Roszival aren't bad hockey players despite their contracts seems to be growing, the number still isn't nearly high enough.
I don't think they are that bad at all (including Redden).
I Just think if I was being as overpaid as them I would try to do a better job than I normally do.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Its hard to be overrated when 99% of the fanbase wished you'd magically dissapear off the roster.

He is one of the better 3rd line centers in the league. Take it for what it is. Offseason is pretty much over once Staal gets signed, so im returning to looking at our roster as a whole, not what individual players are making in salary.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
What makes him a real good 3rd line C though??? He produced at a passable rate for a third line center but he got the opportunity of a second liner with all the power play time he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Drury's effectiveness as a center is really, really overblown. He's good at faceoffs. That's it. He just doesn't have the puck distribution skills to be an effective center iceman.

Stick him on Anismov's wing on the third line and let him take the defensive zone faceoffs, but don't neuter any line's offense by making him the pivot, imo.
Exactly right, IMO. Not only does he not have puck distribution skills, he doesnt even attempt to distribute the puck. As I alluded to in the OP, he plays at even strength as if it were a penalty kill. And then he goes to the bench and bites on his mouthguard and waits for Torts to give him a 'good job pat on the back'. Well Drury if you want my approval you dont have to play like a 7 mill center but you atleast have to play like a 3-4 million dollar center. Those centers also try to create offense whenever their is a window of opportunity.

Old
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I don't think they are that bad at all (including Redden).
I Just think if I was being as overpaid as them I would try to do a better job than I normally do.
Honestly? What type of fantasy world do you live in?

Drury's problem is most likely that fact that HE IS trying to live up to that contract. Whenever an athlete tries too hard, that is when they fail. Just look at ARod in the past two weeks. He tried so hard to hit that 600th homer that he got out of his normal game and struggled.

It's plain to see that Drury plays hard...every single night. He leaves it all on the ice. The only problem is that damn contract.

I've said it before...if Drury made 2.5-3 million a year...people would LOVE him. They would be swinging from his nuts all over the place.

Closed Thread