HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury - Overpaid, Obviously. Overrated Too?

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
pwoz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
You just went against your own argument by saying it would take two players to replace Drury on the PK.

Sure he is overpaid...there is no argument there. But overrated...nah. I can't see how he can be overrated with the way people bash him on this board...
I meant you can replace his PK/defensive skills at a fraction of the price, and then you get two players that can do that and they won't be as tired as one guy doing all that. In this stupid cap era the high contracts have to go towards players like Hossa, Gaborik, and Hank, not Drury and Redden.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:08 PM
John Torturella

this place is becoming unbearable.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

The guy is not a good fit for the NYR... Let's just leave it at that... Whether its' his fault, Sather's fault, or a combination of both, who knows... Maybe things would have worked out differently for him elsewhere...

Old
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The guy is not a good fit for the NYR... Let's just leave it at that... Whether its' his fault, Sather's fault, or a combination of both, who knows... Maybe things would have worked out differently for him elsewhere...
this. he's a servicable player, could be valuable in the right situation, but at 7m, he's a joke. i also don't like him as a captain, he's a little too vanilla for this town. leetch had a similar personality and was much better off when he was wearing the A...he seemed a lot more comfortable too.

two more years and he's gone. i can't wait.

drury era=fail

Old
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Its the Summer ! Go out, or stay in cool indoors and sip a drink.

THE LAST PLACE to be is on these boards. I love these boards, but tis the devil's playground in July and August, filled with line combo and ridiculous trade babble.

Hater thread 101, come on you been here long enough

Old
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

THE LAST PLACE to be is on these boards. I love these boards, but tis the devil's playground in July and August, filled with line combo and ridiculous trade babble.

so you think if we packaged mdz, staal and a 1st it would land us malkin?

Old
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
yeah I'm waiting for "erik christensen: #1 Center material?" and "Marc staal: Offer sheet possible?" and a new MZA: "Too small for the NHL?" threads to pop up this afternoon

Old
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Balej20*

I'm not sure how anyone can overrate him anymore and not see what he really is. A 3rd or 4th line center at best who can kill penalties and block shots that in turn, take him out of the play because he injures himself. He's not a good player, he's boarding on a bad player. He surely is taking up space on this roster, not only with his salary, but with his play which has become detrimental.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Drury MAY still be big game player on a good team. He should never be relied upon to make a team succeed through leading by example.

The OP has a number of good points about his play, and I'll add that he is scared to carry the puck and is just about physically inept at making a move around defenders. Thats why hes always passing the puck off or dumping it in/giving it away. He has very little confidence with the puck. Kind of reminds me of another high paid defenseman on the team whos skills have evaporated. But thats another story.

It is what is is. A veteran player who once had a knack for putting up points but now is reduced to a defensive role. Thats fine. The real problem is the contract and letter he carries.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Malhotra was more clutch than Drury last year and had more points, at a fraction of the cap hit.
what's your point?

Old
08-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
what's your point?
haha I think his point is pretty clear. (Unless I'm missing sarcasm on your part, for which I apologize).

Old
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id bring him back for 1-2 mil.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
What makes him a real good 3rd line C though??? He produced at a passable rate for a third line center but he got the opportunity of a second liner with all the power play time he gets.

He didn't really get that much powerplay time last season, a major reason his numbers dropped so dramatically IMO. He didn't really see the powerplay at all for the first 1/3 of the season, spent most of his powerplay time on the point ( ) and finally got some time in front of the net on a somewhat consistent basis after the olympics.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Putting it simply his contract is hurting the team financially and slowing it's growth by taking a starting spot away from Stepan. I see no way Stepan can be on the team this year without someone getting injured.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Believe me, I know. But I cant remember it being this bad. There is usually some noteworthy content on here, but for whatever reason there is barely anything worth discussing on here. Training camp can not start soon enough.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
pwoz

I'll stop complaining when NHL 11 comes out.

Old
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Drury is a paradox.

He's a big game player that isn't good enough to lead you to the big games.
Big games happen all the time, they end losing streaks, they get the team into the playoffs, they continue winning streaks, Drury hasn't showed up in any of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
If I could have it my way... he resigns for us, at league minimum.

He is Betts. An older, overpaid Betts with leadership skills and gives his all but at league minimum I would be estatic he's on my team.

This is assuming Drury has class. But, who knows!
What leadership skills? Last season we often saw VP taking to players on the bench and coaching younger players. Drury sits quietly and makes sure his Christmas isn't disrupted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
His tying goal vs the Devils with 16 seconds left was pretty sweet. Drury looked really good on Team USA. He needs two very skilled wings between him. He should be put on the line with Gaborik and Frolov. If that can't get him going, nothing will.
He's the captain, he's supposed to lead, why do we keep looking to solve the issues of Drury and try to get him going? We're always looking for the right things to create the right combination to make Drury a solid player.....BS......that's like saying if we pair Redden with the right guy he's gonna win the Norris....it's BS!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I'm curious to see how our PK will be if/when he leaves. Overpaid, yep. Overrated? Depends on who you talk to.
Drury leaving the PK would have the same effect as Ortmeyer leaving the PK or as Betts leaving the PK, which is to say, not much at all. Which speaks to Drury's value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm tired of this comparison. Even in his worst season he wasn't blair betts. Drury's worst season is still 10x better than Betts best season.
He's vastly overpaid, but he'd get ~$2-3 mil per year on the open market. He's one of the better 3rd liners in the game.
When I read this article it just kept resonating Drury in my head. Yeah 2-3 million is probably right where he should be getting paid, but that's not what he and his agent were looking for and that's not what Sather offered.
Quote:
There is lots to like about the way Samuel Pahlsson plays the game, matching up against top lines every night, though it does seem that the Blue Jackets are paying mightily for that privilege, paying $2.65-million for three goals and 16 points.

Acquired from Washington in the middle of the season, Chris Clark didn't add a great deal of production, managing just five of his season-total of 20 points in 36 games. Undoubtedly, the former Capitals captain is a character guy but, between Pahlsson and Clark, for a team that operates on a budget, the Blue Jackets are tying up quite a bit of money in "character" forwards.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=320256

Old
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Fletch

not sure he's overrated since so many people say he's garbage...

Let's see what he does this season. I do believe he lost a step last season, and I further believe he was lost within Torts' system and was a victim of a lack of quality playing time. He doesn't always play with the best and didn't always get the best minutes; perhaps that's because it's where he is in his career, or perhaps the coach made the wrong decisions. I can say the guy still cares about the game and wants to win. But remember, Drury was always a support player. He'd get those big goals, but Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, etc., got the team to a point where all they needed was that one big goal. I'm assuming everyone realizes this, except maybe the GM. Hopefully he'll bounce back this season.

As an aside...he's better than Betts.

Old
08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I know it's the off season and there's not much going on, but this topic and its variations have been BEATEN TO DEATH. Enough.

It's just pain.
Closed Thread