HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Cogen (CEO) & Sean Henry (Pres. & COO) in, Ed Lang leaving front office

Old
08-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
- Has Jeff met with Jordin Tootoo? = Went to dinner with Poile and Sean last night, Tootoo came up, joked about the obnoxious whistles. They all laughed, I must be missing something.
Whenever Jordin Tootoo takes the ice, fans around the arena blow a high-pitched plastic train whistle (ie: Tootoo Train). They are sold by the Predators foundation out on the concourse and can generally also be heard on TV in visiting arenas if you know what to listen for.

They can be highly annoying, but they are just part of the incredible atmosphere we have inside the building...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Tapp

MarkMM – once again a great summary and unbelievably fast.

About the Tootoo comment – Cogen was asked about the Tootoo/Dallas incident from a couple of years ago that resulted in the unkind comments about the Preds from Lites. He noted that he was watching that play out from his Rangers’ job then. He said last night at dinner he was recalling a visit to Nashville and said there were those obnoxious, great, Tootoo whistles. Basically, it was a joke about changing his perspective – the once obnoxious whistles are now great whistles.

In regards to Henry’s comments (I think it was Henry) about ticket sales for the upcoming season, he said the renewal rate was really high, he believed a record high, and new sales are “through the roof”, up 1/3 over last season. So, sounds like the positive vibes from last season and the off-season moves have translated to sales. Great news, I thought.

Tapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Soundgarden

It seems like these guys are really driven to make this a great hockey city. I'm really excited about it.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp View Post
In regards to Henry’s comments (I think it was Henry) about ticket sales for the upcoming season, he said the renewal rate was really high, he believed a record high, and new sales are “through the roof”, up 1/3 over last season. So, sounds like the positive vibes from last season and the off-season moves have translated to sales. Great news, I thought.
Agreed, if true, that is phenomenal news and a real sign that new ownership has turned the corner on rebuilding a lot of the relationships that Leipold stomped on on his way out of town...

Old
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
MarkMM

Ah, haha, thanks for the clarification on the Tootoo whistle, definitely will buy one when I come down for a game.

Heck, it can't be any worse than the vuvuzela!!

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:47 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Ah, haha, thanks for the clarification on the Tootoo whistle, definitely will buy one when I come down for a game.

Heck, it can't be any worse than the vuvuzela!!
I would rather be trapped in the Ryman Auditorium with 1,000 kids blowing those Tootoo whistles than hear one of those monotone soccer horns blowing in the distance.

Just sayin'.

I'm excited about the new guys. Just another piece of the puzzle...

Last edited by JohniusMaximus: 08-10-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added "monotone" to belittle the horn a bit more.
JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Seth Lake

To build on MarkM's recap, I think something key that was missed was something that perked up the ears and brought a smile to the face of every Predators fan.

While he was describing the Stanley Cup Championship year in Tampa Bay he mentioned that it was just a special year because despite all the success of the other franchises in the area, the Lightning had reached the playoffs for the first year under new ownership (Bill Davidson/Palace Sports and Entertainment) and had reached the second round. They were amazed that despite all the other sports going on around the area, that they were finally taken seriously for the first time and the team sold out the first night, but then they sold out the second night, and they kept being amazed because finally the stands were filled and as the team solidified themselves off the ice, the on-ice product grew and players blossomed to reach their full potential and at the end of the year it was just a fantastic experience to lift the Stanley Cup and reflect on everything that had transpired up till that point.

I really felt last year that had we reached the second round we were locks to advance to the Western Conference finals based on the jolt of confidence it would bring to the franchise both on and off the ice. I think that a long playoff run is what is needed to really solidify this market and if Cogen and Henry live up to their promise to make sure that Poile gets the support he needs from the business side of things...that the realization of that dream isn't as far away as it sometimes seems...

Old
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 1290
Awards:
You guys have gotten a good one with Sean Henry... I don't follow the business side of hockey as closely as I should.. But everything I have ever heard on him has all been positive. He was well respected here in Tampa.

Here a link to Tampa's press release..

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535799

Kristia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 07:12 PM
cleangene

It's amazing how different I feel and things look today compared to that dark May afternoon only 3 years ago. That phrase being spread around of "turning the corner" seems pretty appropriate, and WONDERFUL. I'M SO PROUD AND HAPPY TO BE A PREDHEAD....BRING ON THE NEW SEASON!!!!!!!!!!

cleangene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
...............and nothing on the TNean website.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
ScubaSteve*

Good riddance. Have fun with Cogen, Nashville.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Dallas clearly has a lot of problems, but I fail to see how you can blame them on Cogen, given the Hicks situation. All he did was take part in making Dallas pretty much the model for selling a team in a nontraditional market.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
...............and nothing on the TNean website.
Don't know when it went up because I only looked at it now, but the TNn has an article entitled "Predators bring in veteran sports executives as CEO, COO" front and center on their website right now. Unfortunately, all it has are a couple quotes from the press release and still says that the Preds are set to announce the additions at a 2 PM press conference today...

Old
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
All he did was take part in making Dallas pretty much the model for selling a team in a nontraditional market.
Lites was more responsible for that than Cogen.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Seth Lake

Cogen going on 104.5 FM again in a few minutes...

Old
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quick points from Cogen on 104.5

What attracted him: Poiles operation; robust ownership group.
Young passionate core of fans that we can grow from.

How do you look to adding immediate focus and value; Fill the arena. Goal - 15K this yr.
One Key strategy: Create compelling TV content. Everyone focused on that.

Ed Lang and others have built solid growing following and want to build on it.
In Dallas had to start from day 1 and build brand - we got something good to build on already.

Frank asked about Titans and Preds being rivals; Cogen says nope, it's sports, they complement, and lotsa' opportunities to draw in fans.

Cogen also took the opp to remind folks that tix go onsale Sat.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Quick points from Cogen on 104.5

What attracted him: Poiles operation; robust ownership group.
Young passionate core of fans that we can grow from.

How do you look to adding immediate focus and value; Fill the arena. Goal - 15K this yr.
One Key strategy: Create compelling TV content. Everyone focused on that.

Ed Lang and others have built solid growing following and want to build on it.
In Dallas had to start from day 1 and build brand - we got something good to build on already.

Frank asked about Titans and Preds being rivals; Cogen says nope, it's sports, they complement, and lotsa' opportunities to draw in fans.

Cogen also took the opp to remind folks that tix go onsale Sat.
Those are the three things that really stood out to me the most. The funniest part of the whole interview was when Mark Howard started a question by saying that he was on the TV broadcasts and Cogen immediately without thinking about it said that's an area he wanted to improve and went on talking about his desire to use the TV broadcasts to promote the team!

Cogen did state 15k average attendance as the goal this season and based on the ticket sales info Henry put out there yesterday, I'm hopeful we achieve that goal. Heck, can't root against that and I'm glad that it is set at a reasonable, yet challenging goal and sticks with the long-term growth concept rather than having a new guy come in here and expect the building to automatically sell out every night.

To wrap up the interview by saying he'd be remiss in his duties if he didn't mention that individual ticket sales start Saturday morning was hysterical, but at the same time really showed you that despite his title as CEO, he's going to be heavily involved in getting out there and making sure that every avenue to promote the team is explored and utilized whenever appropriate.

Finally, one last thing I caught was early in the interview he was talking about growing the fan base by reaching new fans (the people we all know out there in the community that have never been to a hockey game and have no opinion really one way or the other about the sport) he mentioned something that brought me back to the expansion days before the team had even had a logo. Back then the focus was on providing outstanding customer service, but I think over time the team has moved away from that a bit. I think though that Cigarran wants that to be the focus once again and Cogen this morning said that whenever he's able to bring a new fan into the arena, he wants them to have an unbelievable experience and be treated with "unparalleled" customer service that leaves them wanting to come back.

If the team can bring back that quality level of customer service, I think growing the fan base will go much, much smoother than if they come up short there...

Old
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Care to explain why you would say good riddance?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Care to explain why you would say good riddance?
Because signing Fabian Brunnstrom was a really bad move, man!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cogen did state 15k average attendance as the goal this season and based on the ticket sales info Henry put out there yesterday, I'm hopeful we achieve that goal. Heck, can't root against that and I'm glad that it is set at a reasonable, yet challenging goal and sticks with the long-term growth concept rather than having a new guy come in here and expect the building to automatically sell out every night.
Great point. I remember Freeman making those comments in almost every interview when he took over. The mind set was to fill the building each and every night. While that was a great goal it was not realistic. When Cogen stated 15k and explained, I immediately had respect and confidence in the guy. My business background has taught me to make S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timeframe) goals. Cogen's 15k fits that model perfectly. Once we achieve 15, increase it, while holding on to you 15k and then we will be making serious progress.

Yet another off season move that make me that much more excited to be a Preds fan.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I really liked to hear the part about looking into building more ice sheets and expanding youth hockey. that, as much as anything, should have already been a primary focus for long term development.. but better late than never...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:09 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Cass has something up on the Tennessean..

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Cass has something up on the Tennessean..
with the obligatory negative slant..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 02:43 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I really liked to hear the part about looking into building more ice sheets and expanding youth hockey. that, as much as anything, should have already been a primary focus for long term development.. but better late than never...
Just last year did they finally start getting involved in youth hockey from a financial stand point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
with the obligatory negative slant..
What did you find negative about the article?

Last edited by nine_inch_fang: 08-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.
nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
predfan98

The part I didn't like about the radio interview this morning was his comment about building the "tv content area" or whatever he called it.

Frankly, I don't think TV builds hockey in this area. If you're a hockey fan, you might watch it on HD, or SD if it's "your team."

I don't think hockey translates well on tv unless it's HD, and then I don't think you get a very high percentage of new fans from tv................but from the experience in the arena.

I think it's a waste of time, energy and $...............

Expanding youth hockey............great way to build fans.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote