HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordie Clark Dodges Bullets? Tarasenko Extending KHL Contract?

Old
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Whats to say that Tarasenko would not have left Russia if he was drafted to play in New York? New York>>>St. Louis

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Or a classic example of him basing his decision on where he was drafted...

Right, wrong or otherwise, places like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. are going to be more appealing to a prospect than St. Louis.

Either way, there's no way to draw any conclusions from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Whats to say that Tarasenko would not have left Russia if he was drafted to play in New York? New York>>>St. Louis
Exactly. Location, location, location.

Newsflash - NY is not St Louis

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Some hockey players aren't huge city people, just saying.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

His father coaches his team. he wasnt going to leave there. at least not imho. he'll make more money, will play for his dads team, theres no reason for him to come here unless he really wants to be in the NHL, and obviously if he REALLY wanted to be in the NHL...he wouldnt have signed an extension.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
lol way to be a downer and try taking credit away. He called it.
That wasn't his intention. At all.

He was just pointing out that Tarasenko's decision could have been different if he was drafted by a team other than STL. And that's something you have to consider, regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

Right, wrong or otherwise, places like NY, LA, Chicago, etc. are going to be more appealing to a prospect than St. Louis.

St. Louis is an awesome town with a great reputation. The organization is also well respected. Granted, it's not as glitzy or star-studded as NYC or LA, but I think his decision has more to do with other factors.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Frankly, that was really the only major knock on Tarasenko. I don't think anyone had any major concerns about him as a player. At least none that I ever heard.

At the end of the day it's obvious the Rangers had their pick targeted from a long time ago. I didn't think it was McIlrath, but it's obvious they got the guy they wanted.

Thought interestingly, I know Clark REALLY liked Fowler. I'm curious if there was even a slight pause when they saw he was still there.
this could be like Cherepanov for them. He was to spend 2 more years in Russia before coming over. Playing in the KHL is not a bad way to go in developing your game, playing against adults.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
True, but very few Russian stars have stayed home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
His father coaches his team. he wasnt going to leave there. at least not imho. he'll make more money, will play for his dads team, theres no reason for him to come here unless he really wants to be in the NHL, and obviously if he REALLY wanted to be in the NHL...he wouldnt have signed an extension.
Yeah lots of kids I know can't wait to spend the rest of their lives with their father telling them what to do

Tarasenko will be, what, early 20's when that contract is up? Did you stay exactly where you were from age 21 and up? Probably not, you moved on cause you grew up, and this kid will too.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
True, but very few Russian stars have stayed home.

Yeah lots of kids I know can't wait to spend the rest of their lives with their father telling them what to do

Tarasenko will be, what, early 20's when that contract is up? Did you stay exactly where you were from age 21 and up? Probably not, you moved on cause you grew up, and this kid will too.
maybe maybe not, but when youre a kid, youre far more likely to listen to what your parents say, especially when the other choice is to go to a foreign country and play for like 50k a year.

Old
08-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
St. Louis is an awesome town with a great reputation. The organization is also well respected. Granted, it's not as glitzy or star-studded as NYC or LA, but I think his decision has more to do with other factors.
St. Louis is an awesome city. But it's not NY.

I think his decision had a lot to do with where he would be playing.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
St. Louis is an awesome city. But it's not NY.

I think his decision had a lot to do with where he would be playing.
and money, im sure.

Old
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

I would've loved Tarasenko and I was actually shocked we didn't pick him. I believe even the announcers were readying the audience with info about him and then bam...McIlrath. I really don't mind the pick though. Who would have guessed that teams would have selected all those forwards consecutively and we were basicly left with a choice of D-Men. We already have some good puck-movers on the back end so McIlrath kind of makes sense. It is a desperate need on this team.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Good point!

Me personally, if I was a New York Ranger I'd definitely be one of the players that lives outside the city in a nice suburban neighborhood... I think both Drury & Anisimov live outside the city in nearby CT?

I currently live approx 20 miles from NYC and only like going to the city for Ranger games or concerts or comedy shows... Would never care to live there.....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Garfinkel1

Rangers > KHL > Blues

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I have to disagree with that unless some team was going to guarantee that he would go straight to the NHL. Most prospects (short of top 3 picks) spend at least a year if not two in the minors. So if he extends for a year he could essentially cut his time in the minors by half.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Good point!

Me personally, if I was a New York Ranger I'd definitely be one of the players that lives outside the city in a nice suburban neighborhood... I think both Drury & Anisimov live outside the city in nearby CT?

I currently live approx 20 miles from NYC and only like going to the city for Ranger games or concerts or comedy shows... Would never care to live there.....
And some of us are dreading the idea of ever having to move out of the city. Were I loaded I would never have to. To each his own.

Old
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I have to disagree with that unless some team was going to guarantee that he would go straight to the NHL. Most prospects (short of top 3 picks) spend at least a year if not two in the minors. So if he extends for a year he could essentially cut his time in the minors by half.
This is a good point. We'll have to wait and see how long the extension is for (if there is one.)

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And some of us are dreading the idea of ever having to move out of the city. Were I loaded I would never have to. To each his own.
Not sure how that's relevant? People were talking about the notion and allure of being signed by a big city / big market team like NY Rangers and how that could increase the likelihood of a player to come over from overseas... The point was made by another poster that big cities are not for everyone....

In all likelihood Tarasenko was given some feedback from the Blues about when he may potentially factor into their NHL roster and he's choosing to develop in Russia while playing in the KHL rather than come over to the U.S. to play in the AHL where he'll make considerably less money...

Old
08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Don't get me wrong, I love the city, but the "It's New York!" argument when it comes to draftees and free agents is so overrated.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the city, but the "It's New York!" argument when it comes to draftees and free agents is so overrated.
I would have to agree...

Old
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
darko

Quote:

Yup my thoughts exactly. If we drafted Tarasenko it could be possible that he would want to come over as soon as possible. NY has its pull for players with Russian communities. STL on the other hand ... well they've got a good young squad.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Thought interestingly, I know Clark REALLY liked Fowler. I'm curious if there was even a slight pause when they saw he was still there.
I really hate to be Mr. "Tin Foil Hat" conspiracy theorist, but I really don't think it's unrealistic to envision some kind of organizational pressure playing into the pick to the point where Gordie had to back down/compromise - we all know Torts loves his "jam" (see the Brash and Boogey signings, the reported Neil offer last year, McCue trade, etc).

And let's be honest the NYR hype machine could spin any pick/scenario; the board was up in arms on draft day and now most people are happy with the pick.

Who knows.

08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I really hate to be Mr. "Tin Foil Hat" conspiracy theorist, but I really don't think it's unrealistic to envision some kind of organizational pressure playing into the pick to the point where Gordie had to back down/compromise - we all know Torts loves his "jam" (see the Brash and Boogey signings, the reported Neil offer last year, McCue trade, etc).

And let's be honest the NYR hype machine could spin any pick/scenario; the board was up in arms on draft day and now most people are happy with the pick.

Who knows.
torts has no say in who gets drafted

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post

Who knows.
By all indications they pretty much let Gordie run the show... Sather is just there to work trades should they need to move up or down in the draft...

Old
08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Once again I would disagree. IF you have money (and pretty much all these athletes do) there is possibly no better place to live than NYC. To live in the greatest city in the country, and do it in style is attractive. Do you really think your average NHL player who gets a call that he has been traded wouldn't feel at least a little bit better to learn he was going to the Rangers as opposed to Memphis, Nashville, Columbus, Buffalo, etc? I'm not saying the appeal is so great you leave millions on the table come to NYC...but it's certainly an allure.