HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Cogen (CEO) & Sean Henry (Pres. & COO) in, Ed Lang leaving front office

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
  #51
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,563
vCash: 500
I'd kill for a rink in Murfreesboro. I think it would do pretty good here.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
  #52
goalscorer
Registered User
 
goalscorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
The part I didn't like about the radio interview this morning was his comment about building the "tv content area" or whatever he called it.

Frankly, I don't think TV builds hockey in this area. If you're a hockey fan, you might watch it on HD, or SD if it's "your team."

I don't think hockey translates well on tv unless it's HD, and then I don't think you get a very high percentage of new fans from tv................but from the experience in the arena.

I think it's a waste of time, energy and $...............

Expanding youth hockey............great way to build fans.
Exactly. I am not a football fan at all. Having all the Titans games in HD will not get me to watch the Titans or football in general for that matter. Now had a football team get me hooked at young age and I played and learned to love the game then I'm sure I would obsess like the rest of North America.

Nashville has the best youth hockey program in the State. I played in Memphis. We had six high school teams and one travel program and both quite frankly were a joke. Our good kids would drive to Nashville to play for Turcottes AAA team and now drive to Huntsville to play for the TPH AAA team. High school hockey in Memphis costs $1,200 per season. In MN, most families pay around $250. There was/is no house league or places for stick time/ pick up games. Kids may play street hockey, but quickly outgrow it for many reasons.

My theory is if hockey is as available as tball or youth basketball then not only will USA hockey improve, but the Predators fan base will as well. Hockey parents are the best in sports. If they're kids love the game, they will love the game. My parents learned to love the game because me and my brother played. They still watch games and go to Bridgestone even with my brother and I out of the house. If you reach the kids, the parents will support hockey. When the kids are grown they support it as adults and the cycle will continue.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 04:37 PM
  #53
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'd kill for a rink in Murfreesboro. I think it would do pretty good here.
March 2011 I believe is the target date for one sheet of ice and one rink with SportCourt for inline...


Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-12-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
  #54
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,044
vCash: 500
A rink in the Boro would be pretty nice. I'd be able to actually play then. Right now driving to Nashville for a game at 10pm, playing, driving home, and going to bed doesn't cut it with having to be out of bed at 5am (4am this week).

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
  #55
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
A rink in the Boro would be pretty nice. I'd be able to actually play then. Right now driving to Nashville for a game at 10pm, playing, driving home, and going to bed doesn't cut it with having to be out of bed at 5am (4am this week).
Try running a collegiate program that started a 80 minute practice at 10:20 PM and then has an hour drive back or games starting at 10:20 PM and running 2.5 hours...

I think the two sheets going in in Murfreesboro will have a dramatic impact on the growth of the sport in the Middle Tennessee region. Next up has to be Hendersonville though...they have plenty of support for it and are separated enough to not have as great an impact on the existing sheets.

If the Predators continue to expand their support of building local hockey programs and get into building facilities eventually, I think the sport will take off...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:20 PM
  #56
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
I thought it was 1 ice and 1 sports floor in the 'boro. Regardless, every little bit helps, although at first it will take away players from A-Game.
It will also be interesting to see how they set up youth leagues and what the pricing will be.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
  #57
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
I thought it was 1 ice and 1 sports floor in the 'boro. Regardless, every little bit helps, although at first it will take away players from A-Game.
It will also be interesting to see how they set up youth leagues and what the pricing will be.
Sorry, looking at it again...I think it is 1 ice and one SportCourt. I had originally thought it was two sheets of ice with SportCourt going down over one in the summer. Guess I was wrong. I'm concerned about the lack of available information on it. Does anyone know how it's progressing?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
  #58
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Watch for Ed Lang in the stands as a normal fan.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
  #59
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Try running a collegiate program that started a 80 minute practice at 10:20 PM and then has an hour drive back or games starting at 10:20 PM and running 2.5 hours...

I think the two sheets going in in Murfreesboro will have a dramatic impact on the growth of the sport in the Middle Tennessee region. Next up has to be Hendersonville though...they have plenty of support for it and are separated enough to not have as great an impact on the existing sheets.

If the Predators continue to expand their support of building local hockey programs and get into building facilities eventually, I think the sport will take off...
Try cutting 720,000lbs of steel in a day on four hours of sleep without losing a limb or your life

But yes, I know. There are those who have much more of a commitment to the game than I have. Still, though, I'd like to be able to play without necessarily screwing myself the next morning.

I agree. Getting sheets in the Boro could be huge. I know several people out here who have to travel to Nashville to play, or don't play because of the travel. I like the way this sport is expanding. I wish it were faster, but I'd rather it be done right than wrong. Further, I'd rather it be done at any pace than not at all.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:32 AM
  #60
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,988
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
What did you find negative about the article?
just the tone. using the term "shake up" instead of just announcing a change. harping on attendance, stuff like that... Im probably just over critical, but hey, its ingrained from experience

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
  #61
CloakroomCrusader
Registered User
 
CloakroomCrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio St or Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just the tone. using the term "shake up" instead of just announcing a change. harping on attendance, stuff like that... Im probably just over critical, but hey, its ingrained from experience
I too felt that they were trying to give off the vibe that this change was needed because of problems that were occurring.

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:09 PM
  #62
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just the tone. using the term "shake up" instead of just announcing a change. harping on attendance, stuff like that... Im probably just over critical, but hey, its ingrained from experience
+1,000

A leopard doesn't change its spots overnight, do they?

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
  #63
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
March 2011 I believe is the target date for two sheets...
I remember hearing rumblings about it but didn't know anything got finalized. Awesome! Too bad I'm graduating 2 months after that

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
  #64
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just the tone. using the term "shake up" instead of just announcing a change. harping on attendance, stuff like that... Im probably just over critical, but hey, its ingrained from experience
yeah I see what you're saying I guess I just don't let it bother me.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 06:00 PM
  #65
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
An excellent article from Mark at The View From 111 blog on the impact and meaning of these three moves...

Quote:
As a hockey fan in the off season, the focus is often on what is happening with with additions and subtractions to the roster. The advent of free agency is often viewed with the same eagerness as Christmas morning for a bright eyed young child. The direction and the competitive level of a team, positive or negative, can be altered by off season activities.

What often happens in the front office of a hockey club can make as much difference toward winning and losing as what happens with the players. Bring in the right front office personnel and a franchise can take on a new focus and drive that can change the results on and off the ice. The opposite is also true.

The Nashville Predators have made a pair of front office moves that bode well for the future of the team, not only on the ice but in the community, and have tangibly demonstrated the commitment of the owners to making the team a centerpiece of the Nashville sports community.
http://theviewfrom111.blogspot.com/2...ice-moves.html

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
  #66
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
As usual, some of my clients only bring up that "the PREDATORS are firing some people, aren't they?" from the latest round of news items for the team. It just continually amazes me at times regarding how NEGATIVELY RED NECK the attitude is towards something that's actually positive for this "major league city". On another note regarding "minor league media", has it been announced that the Zone would be the flagship radio station again this season? Since they are the titans/vols radio voice now, we won't hear anything but football until October, so if anyone can here can provide such news I would appreciate it.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:38 PM
  #67
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
As usual, some of my clients only bring up that "the PREDATORS are firing some people, aren't they?" from the latest round of news items for the team. It just continually amazes me at times regarding how NEGATIVELY RED NECK the attitude is towards something that's actually positive for this "major league city". On another note regarding "minor league media", has it been announced that the Zone would be the flagship radio station again this season? Since they are the titans/vols radio voice now, we won't hear anything but football until October, so if anyone can here can provide such news I would appreciate it.
Yes, 104.5 The Zone FM will again be the flagship radio station for the Predators. However, due to the Titans and Vols moving over we will again have a split schedule. The good news though is that games not on 104.5 FM this season will be featured on 103.3 WKDF FM and will be kept in the Citadel family and as events end on 104.5, the discussions at season's end was that the game would be switched over to 104.5 and/or broadcast on both stations.

Additionally, 103.3 FM has a much larger and stronger broadcast signal than whatever our alternate station was last season, so more listeners will still be able to catch the broadcast.

It's not perfect, but it's slowly getting better...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
  #68
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I remember a few years ago someone asked why the Preds got bumped because of Vandy (college vs pro) sports. The answer was, "Welllll...Vandy was there first and it was in someones contract to have the first rights to the airtime" (or something to that effect). Now that Vandy is gone, the Preds are the ones that were "there first" but still we get bumped again for UT/Titans. (Although the titans don't usually overlap as much as UT football and/or basketball games).

I just hate when games get bumped...having to check every game to see what channel they are on that night. But whatever, at least they're all on the air.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:45 PM
  #69
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
New Preds president and COO Sean Henry to appear on Thom Abraham Show on 560 AM at 5:25 PM CST...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
  #70
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I remember a few years ago someone asked why the Preds got bumped because of Vandy (college vs pro) sports. The answer was, "Welllll...Vandy was there first and it was in someones contract to have the first rights to the airtime" (or something to that effect). Now that Vandy is gone, the Preds are the ones that were "there first" but still we get bumped again for UT/Titans. (Although the titans don't usually overlap as much as UT football and/or basketball games).

I just hate when games get bumped...having to check every game to see what channel they are on that night. But whatever, at least they're all on the air.
I don't think they meant whose contract came first in the pecking order. I think the difference was that the Vanderbilt contract specified that their team got first rights over any other team broadcast. You can bet that that would be written into any NFL contract--if it couldn't they'd go elsewhere. The fact that Vanderbilt already had first broadcast rights may actually be the reason the Titans broadcasts were on 103.3 til this year.

As long as all the games are broadcast in a format that I can actually hear on the drive home, I'm fine with it. Look on the bright side--it means TWO stations will actively promote the game, instead of only one.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
  #71
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I don't think they meant whose contract came first in the pecking order. I think the difference was that the Vanderbilt contract specified that their team got first rights over any other team broadcast. You can bet that that would be written into any NFL contract--if it couldn't they'd go elsewhere. The fact that Vanderbilt already had first broadcast rights may actually be the reason the Titans broadcasts were on 103.3 til this year.

As long as all the games are broadcast in a format that I can actually hear on the drive home, I'm fine with it. Look on the bright side--it means TWO stations will actively promote the game, instead of only one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I remember a few years ago someone asked why the Preds got bumped because of Vandy (college vs pro) sports. The answer was, "Welllll...Vandy was there first and it was in someones contract to have the first rights to the airtime" (or something to that effect). Now that Vandy is gone, the Preds are the ones that were "there first" but still we get bumped again for UT/Titans. (Although the titans don't usually overlap as much as UT football and/or basketball games).

I just hate when games get bumped...having to check every game to see what channel they are on that night. But whatever, at least they're all on the air.
Actually it was completely due to who's contract was signed first and the Predators chose at the time not to do it.

During the lockout year the Predators had signed a contract to make the jump to 104.5 FM and were the first team to do so. It was only a 1 year contract however and it was wiped out due to the lockout. The station was then contacted by Vanderbilt and went back to the Predators asking them to sign a multi-year deal to retain their priority status. The team refused and only signed a one-year deal after Vanderbilt had signed on. The team has only signed one year deals since.

This past year the team was again presented with the opportunity to fill the primary slot, but...again they refused to sign a multi-year deal and therefore were bumped aside by UT radio programming. Titans broadcasting only presented minor potential conflicts with the Predators and the station was willing to work around that.

It's the Predators continued decision to only sign one-year deals that have lead to the split programming. Hopefully with new leadership in place the next time this opportunity presents itself...they'll take the security of a multi-year deal and the primary slot. Till then though, we're on the No. 1 sports talk station and can't ask for much more than that...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 05:45 PM
  #72
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
+1,000

A leopard doesn't change its spots overnight, do they?
I first heard about the moves by reading The Tennessean article. And I didn't know it was negative until you guys told me.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
  #73
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I first heard about the moves by reading The Tennessean article. And I didn't know it was negative until you guys told me.
GET DOWN! before the big guns come out and start shooting at you. Don't you know the Tennessean hates the Predators!!!

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 06:43 PM
  #74
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
I've joined in the slams on them sometimes. But I thought this article was decently done, had the facts and was worth reading. As many of their articles are. But no matter what they write, good article or bad, positive or thinly veiled slam, poorly researched or well done, any thread here about a Tennessean article has to have the usual "fish wrapper!" complaints. (Sort of as any Legwand thread has to have someone chime in to say "overpaid" or something.)

Anyway, sorry to drag things off topic.

Good luck to the new men. I don't understand a CEO who says he's being brought in to sell tickets, but hopefully he has the whole package.


Last edited by OpenWheel: 08-13-2010 at 06:49 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:51 PM
  #75
predhead1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
I think the Tennessean has changed their tone a bit over the past few years once they realized the "hockey won't be successful in Nashville" schtick was wearing thin. There is still a lot to be asked from the local coverage, but things seem to be improving with the Preds continued success.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.