HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for first time captain?

Old
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Well our league is pretty competitive and fast paced (for our level). The days we only have 6F and 4D everyone is gassed by the end of the first and we get killed. As it is, we usually have enough legs that we start out well, have a bad lull in the second period, and then usually play our best in the third.

With our team, you pay all your league fees to the captain before the season starts, otherwise you don't get to play. Subs are registered and usually pay on a per-game basis.

We also do practices in the off-season, and usually the captain will get a bunch of players together, collect $25-30 per guy, and get as many practices as possible out of that money.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:42 PM
timekeep

You have heard all the negatives of being the team captain/rep for a beer league team. Unfortunately most of this true, they asked you because you are responsible and will pay the refs, the league etc and collect the monies.

Try to get an assistant captain or two to look after the beer and the jerseys. Don't let the players look after the jerseys themselves. You don't want to be doing all this by yourself or you will be making 3 trips into the dressing room.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Here's something I'm not familiar with, since I don't play D. What's so bad about having 5 D? Is it just that you don't get a regular pairing, or is there more to it than that?
It's so hard to get a good feel for your defensive partners when they are not consistently the same people.

Some guys have different tendancies to go in different areas on the ice. Some guys just don't zone up well, or don't know coverage. Some guys are flat out bad on the back-check.

Staying with the same partner shores up those mistakes because you will learn what your partner does on the play.

I have played with 5 D before, but 6 or 4 is so much easier for everyone.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

I had a similar question but I play HS hockey and our team captain just graduated and I'm taking over as the Captain and just had questions on how to be a better leader.

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
I had a similar question but I play HS hockey and our team captain just graduated and I'm taking over as the Captain and just had questions on how to be a better leader.
There are two types of Captains, the ringers an the role players.

In beer league you will find that the ringers tend to get better respect from the team than the role player does.

I think it's almost better that the team select a guy who is willing to be captain who can put up numbers. The team becomes less interested in hearing what the role player has to say when you talk about team strategy, or trying to correct individual mistakes.

It all depends on the Captain, the team and the personality.

What you will find in beer league is, most people do not want to be Captain. They don't want to have to accept the responsibility for organizing get-togethers, ice-times, deal with team and league management, league fees and collections, beer rotations, lineups, and other personal issues.

I say, it's always good to surround yourself with two assistant captains.

However, make sure you clarify what roles you want them to perform. My last team I Captained, I just had three 'A' Captains(including myself), I was just the chief organizer. But the other two assistants didn't do much to help me. I had to ask them for their opinions rather than have them give it to me.

I was kind of disappointed in one of my Captains because he never seemed to do much talking. Needless to say, even though I like the guy, we never play together anymore.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

If theirs a fight between your teamates, punch them both and tell um to knock it off.

But honestly, Just be there for your players. Stand up for them.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
goord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
If theirs a fight between your teamates, punch them both and tell um to knock it off.

But honestly, Just be there for your players. Stand up for them.
teamwork is very important

goord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
There are two types of Captains, the ringers an the role players.

In beer league you will find that the ringers tend to get better respect from the team than the role player does.

I think it's almost better that the team select a guy who is willing to be captain who can put up numbers. The team becomes less interested in hearing what the role player has to say when you talk about team strategy, or trying to correct individual mistakes.

It all depends on the Captain, the team and the personality.

What you will find in beer league is, most people do not want to be Captain. They don't want to have to accept the responsibility for organizing get-togethers, ice-times, deal with team and league management, league fees and collections, beer rotations, lineups, and other personal issues.

I say, it's always good to surround yourself with two assistant captains.

However, make sure you clarify what roles you want them to perform. My last team I Captained, I just had three 'A' Captains(including myself), I was just the chief organizer. But the other two assistants didn't do much to help me. I had to ask them for their opinions rather than have them give it to me.

I was kind of disappointed in one of my Captains because he never seemed to do much talking. Needless to say, even though I like the guy, we never play together anymore.
My role on the team is to be the shutdown center and as a player I would describe myself as being a grinder that just gives 100% all the time and stands up for his teammates. So maybe this is the reason my coached picked me. I'll just stick to what I'm doing and be a little more vocal thanks for the advice.

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote