HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

36th Obsequious Banter Thread: It's Powe as in Howe

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I have been saying it since I graduated college. The degree isn't worth dick in todays world. If you dont know someone, your chances of getting out of mediocrity is fair at best.
True in my case.

I have no schooling after High School, and have a great job that I enjoy, and more importantly...pays well.

Old
08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Jeez, I didn't realize this was the way things were. I guess I'll just have to rely on my movie getting picked up.

08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
True in my case.

I have no schooling after High School, and have a great job that I enjoy, and more importantly...pays well.
Union or technical skills, or something else?

Old
08-11-2010, 05:15 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
True in my case.

Opus from Canada?

hide your women.

Old
08-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Pics like that always remind me of that great Snickers commercial where the guy who paints the Kansas City endzone forgets the 'i' in 'Chiefs'.

Great Googly-Moogly!
Haha, one of my all time favorite commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Wow. And for the Loser of the Day:

http://news.therecord.com/News/article/759950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i dont know, i'm a "prove it" kind of guy. in my opinion, if a cop with a radar gun doesnt clock you, he can't prove how fast you were actually going...however, if a cop just sees you going way too fast, he should at least be able to write you up for reckless, without knowing the speed for sure. Ive been in traffic school where that had happened to people, and its essentially a situation where the police officers' opinion is respected. i think the burden of proof should be with the government, and an internet post + one eyewitness doesn't do it for me.
I agree with you guys. That's a pretty chicken **** way to charge someone. Hell, if I got called from the "witness", I'd have the witness sign the complaint against the kid. I'm not signing anything I didn't witness or build probable cause on. And internet bragging and one "witness" is not PC to me.

What I find interesting though, is that the moron plead guilty! ?!?!

Opus, I'm jealous of your "travels".

Old
08-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Mr Oysterhead

so I'm trying to find a downloadable version of photoshop online, can anyone point me in the right direction? I know I can go on any torrent site and search it, but those have brought me a lot of non working copies/dead ends. If anyone can help out, send a PM. thanks.

Old
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Speaking of jobs , I think I got a job today where I just use Photoshop all day.

Old
08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
Speaking of jobs , I think I got a job today where I just use Photoshop all day.

Very Jealous.

Old
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
flyersguy33*

Somehow lost my cell phone. Pissed cause I had some pretty cool pictures from the Winter Classic on there.

Old
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Union or technical skills, or something else?
Foreman, and I get travel the Country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Opus, I'm jealous of your "travels".
I'll be sure to share pics of my adventures, you can live vicariously through me.

Old
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
MsWoof

Opus, I'm the same, high school and nothing more and I always had decent paying jobs. Now I'm self employed so I don't have to worry about education.

Old
08-11-2010, 09:33 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Do you guys have any recommendations to a kid who's about to graduate college? I am getting an accounting degree. Not necessarily about jobs, but just in general about work and your experiences?

Old
08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

So I need an opinion.

I am setting up a room for my trip to Vegas in October with friends (while on the Vegas topic) and my friend, who found the connection and getting the other room, sent me this form to fill out. I understand it's a private place in MGM and they want a security deposit, but one thing caught me as funny: They asked for my credit card security card. As far as I know, they shouldn't ask for that. Also, if they have my card number, expiration date, security code, address, and phone number, that's essentially all the info you need to order things online. So, what does HF think? Scam?

See pic attached.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 11-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So I need an opinion.

I am setting up a room for my trip to Vegas in October with friends (while on the Vegas topic) and my friend, who found the connection and getting the other room, sent me this form to fill out. I understand it's a private place in MGM and they want a security deposit, but one thing caught me as funny: They asked for my credit card security card. As far as I know, they shouldn't ask for that. Also, if they have my card number, expiration date, security code, address, and phone number, that's essentially all the info you need to order things online. So, what does HF think? Scam?

See pic attached.
I think they're just looking for the 3/4 digit code on the back. Pretty standard now for online ****.

Old
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Do you guys have any recommendations to a kid who's about to graduate college? I am getting an accounting degree. Not necessarily about jobs, but just in general about work and your experiences?
If you get a call from a networking company who wants to help set up meetings for you with other professionals in your area so that you can refer clients back and forth with each other...don't do it.

Old
08-11-2010, 10:34 PM
mm6492

Quote:
So I need an opinion.

See pic attached.
The 3 number code is pretty standard on alot of stuff nowadays.

Old
08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Very Jealous.
Don't be jealous he's Canadian.

Just kidding, I love you Opus! Well half kidding.

Old
08-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Well that sucks to hear going into my freshman year.
This...

Current plan is to get a Meteorology degree from Penn State, take a class that includes communicating with the National Weather Service, and try to work my way into the National Hurricane Center or NWS.

My plans will probably be crushed at some point.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Well that sucks to hear going into my freshman year.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I drank and smoked weed for most of my 4 years in college, just graduated in May with a 3.4 GPA as a friggin' history major, and was able to secure a job with an up-and-coming e-commerce company that's paying me $33K my first year. Craigslist is ****ing awesome. I mean, none of the skills I'm learning really have any application outside of this exact job, but at least I found something. So, you see, there is hope. Sort of.

But seriously, the only subjects really worth majoring in are business (finance/accounting, specifically), engineering (you'll hate yourself for 4 years but be MUCH better off in the long run), and the sciences (you can go pre-med, do research, etc). You have to go into a field where the demand is always consistent, otherwise I'd say with 99% certainty you won't find a job unless you know someone who can hook you up. And even then, it's tough.

Who knows, maybe by the time you graduate in 4 years the economy will be on the upswing and more jobs will become available. Either way, you're entering college at the right time -- I wish I could do it all over again.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
So I need an opinion.

See pic attached.
Asking for that type of info is standard anymore. In case you blow up their room they need some one to pay for it. And they are supposed to keep track of everyone. There is no anonymity in Vegas like you would think.

However, that screenshot looks very fake. If its MGM they will have a much more professional data entry.

Old
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
kicksave27

I know that guy couldn't have been driving in jersey, with all the budget shortfalls they are probably giving anyone with a black or white car a radar gun and a ticket pad.

My favorite is woolwich township, they have "zero tolerance for speeding" signs all over the place. I guess it must be nice to live there, since thats the only serious crime going on. Though with crazy taxes they have to pay to keep their small nation army of officers going maybe not. I often visit my parents after a long night of working fridays and I never speed through there, its just late and I'm out of state, must be up to no good. They should have a cop rotation plan where rural sleepy town cops have to switch with inner city cops to learn how not to be hardons to your average non-felony citizen. I'm sure jules could use a break from the glassboro crazies.

Old
08-12-2010, 02:29 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
If you've done internships, you best have stayed in contact. Accounting should be able to get you into all kinds of work. Consider what you want in the job and try and find it (since you probably should have been looking for a while now). If you want to shoot high, look into the IRS and other government agencies. We get emails from , if I remember right, the ATF looking for people with accounting backgrounds.

Really though, you're competing against people who have more experience than you. If you have to start low, you can. Older folks most likely cannot. Major cities can be cheaper to live in than in the suburbs. As cliche as it sounds, bust your ass, deal with the stupid, and good things will come along.

Old
08-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Ri hards

Spearmint Rhino. That is all!

Old
08-12-2010, 06:30 AM
CharlieGirl

Only in Canada.....

Old
08-12-2010, 06:46 AM