HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2010, 12:50 PM
  #151
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
No fear of that, neither Canada or USA WANTS to stage it. 2008 was a one time thing due to the IIHF centennial.

And it's not pessimism, it's realism. I KNOW the European sports fans mentality and media's interest. The World Cup, if held in August/September or whenever, lacks the interest of both at that time of the year. Also to afrobomber11, the ticket prices alone scare a lot of the biggest hockey fans away. Your average Finnish hockey fan is only willing to spend money on their local team, one or two of Finland's games (primarily the Sweden game) at the Karjala tournament (Euro Hockey Tour) or the World Championships.
So you are saying that if a World Cup game was being played in Helsinki between Russia and Finland or Canada and Finland that no one would care because it is September? That is like saying that you wouldn't screw the girl in your avatar because of the time of year. Sorry, I don't believe you, if you don't care about the World Cup then don't watch it. It is not mandatory. I will gladly watch the best players from Finland play on your behalf. I think you are talking BS.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:28 PM
  #152
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
So you are saying that if a World Cup game was being played in Helsinki between Russia and Finland or Canada and Finland that no one would care because it is September? That is like saying that you wouldn't screw the girl in your avatar because of the time of year. Sorry, I don't believe you, if you don't care about the World Cup then don't watch it. It is not mandatory. I will gladly watch the best players from Finland play on your behalf. I think you are talking BS.
Your average sports fan probably wouldn't care.

Remember, only 1 game played in Europe from the 2004 World Cup was sold out. The Sweden/Finland match in Helsinki couldn't even sell out.
Compare this to World Championships where home team supporters are always overflowing.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:58 PM
  #153
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
By 2012 Finland will have pretty average team with only marginal chances of winning World Cup.

With a team like that in the tournament without history and tradition, there is no chance of games being sold out.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 03:01 PM
  #154
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Your average sports fan probably wouldn't care.

Remember, only 1 game played in Europe from the 2004 World Cup was sold out. The Sweden/Finland match in Helsinki couldn't even sell out.
Which one sold out?



Quote:
Compare this to World Championships where home team supporters are always overflowing.
Not in Halifax ( a hockey mad city), there were about 1500 seats available at the two Canada games I attended. The Canada vs US game might have sold out. I actually missed the 1st period of one game because I was watching game 5 of the Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia conference final in a bar near the rink with a bunch of other people wearing Canada jerseys. The timing of the WHC is much worse than the WC and the caliber of hockey is much better at the World Cup and their are no stupid cars in the stand either.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
  #155
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
Which one sold out?
Sweden vs Czech Rep (preliminary game) was the only one to sell out.

Even the 'big game' elimination quarterfinal attendance was pretty poor:
Nearly 2000 empty seats in Stockholm of a 13000+ arena.
Helsinki was only 65% full.
(game and attendance figures are all on wiki)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
Not in Halifax ( a hockey mad city), there were about 1500 seats available at the two Canada games I attended. The Canada vs US game might have sold out. I actually missed the 1st period of one game because I was watching game 5 of the Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia conference final in a bar near the rink with a bunch of other people wearing Canada jerseys. The timing of the WHC is much worse than the WC and the caliber of hockey is much better at the World Cup and their are no stupid cars in the stand either.
Obviously I was talking about Europe.
Anyhow, this just illustrates the lackluster World Cup interest in Europe is probably similar to that of the World Championships in Canada......actually probably worse.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
  #156
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
Not in Halifax ( a hockey mad city), there were about 1500 seats available at the two Canada games I attended.
bad example maybe? like saskatoon not selling out at the world juniors, the population just wasnt there

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
  #157
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
bad example maybe? like saskatoon not selling out at the world juniors, the population just wasnt there
the 2003 World Juniors
http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?fid=7686

"Halifax proved to be a city passionate about its hockey, smashing the previous tournament attendance record of 173,453 set by Winnipeg in 1999 by drawing 242,173 spectators to the Metro Centre and the Centre 200 in Sydney, N.S.

Hockey fans flocked to games that didn't involve Canada and were quick to give ovations to standout players from Canada's opposing teams. International Ice Hockey Federation president Dr. Rene Fasel said Saturday that the crowds in Halifax gave him "chair de poule'' (goosebumps).
"

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
  #158
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
It is my understanding that this is what would happen. Olympic and World Cup every 2nd year would be great for the game. I don't mind if the IIHF has a tournament every year if they want to, I just don't consider it as good of a tournament.

There must be a misunderstanding, the world championship would still take place every year, the only difference would be a world cup every 4 years between the Olympic years. If I had to choose to watch Canada play at the world cup or world championships, I would choose the world cup 10 times out of 10.
In all respect, you would choose one inferior tournament over and equally inferior tournament because of the name attached to it.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:37 AM
  #159
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
No fear of that, neither Canada or USA WANTS to stage it. 2008 was a one time thing due to the IIHF centennial.
Canada originally bid for the 2007 WC
http://web.archive.org/web/200302100...iihfpr0703.htm

They then withdrew their bid in favour of 2008, at which point the other applicants for 2008 (Sweden, Germany) dropped out. According to Rene Fasel at the time, this was the reason for the switch:
Quote:
The IIHF's marketing agreement with Infront Sports & Media is mainly geared towards the World Championship being played in Europe. That agreement expires in 2007.
"This was the best solution for all," said IIHF President René Fasel. "Under the current marketing agreement, we would face several marketing related and financial obstacles if we were to hold the world championship in Canada in 2007. There will be a new agreement after 2007 and with the 2008 championship coinciding with the 100-year anniversary of the IIHF, there is almost a limitless potential with Canada applying for the 2008 championship."
http://web.archive.org/web/200409070...iihfpr5603.htm

After the Championships, Fasel said "We'll be back!"
http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...ash=e29fe6dbbf

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:19 AM
  #160
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
In all respect, you would choose one inferior tournament over and equally inferior tournament because of the name attached to it.
no, i believe the world cup to be a better tournament.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
  #161
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
you know if the nhl wants to do this 4 year cyle, it will have to be after sochi, because you cant rip the tourny out of the hands of nations already chosen to host the world championships

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 06:59 PM
  #162
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,164
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
By 2012 Finland will have pretty average team with only marginal chances of winning World Cup.

With a team like that in the tournament without history and tradition, there is no chance of games being sold out.
As was covered in a recent column in one the Finnish tabloids, Finnish sports fans have become largely fairweather/gloryhunter/bandwagon fans. If their team is good and expected to succeed, they'll show up to support it. If not, they'll think of other things to do.

I've said it before, but since it's extremely likely that the games would not be on free tv (World Championships are currently the only free hockey we get and that will change as well in 2012, apart from Team Finland's games), the interest in the tournament would be even less among the general public.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
  #163
nabby12
Registered User
 
nabby12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
best idea for it:


2012 World Cup of Hockey – In Canada –
(Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax)
Group A: (Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg)
Canada
Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Belarus
Norway
Group B: (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax)
Russia
Sweden
USA
Switzerland
Germany
Denmark

Top 4 Advance From Each Group To Quarterfinals

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:56 AM
  #164
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
no, i believe the world cup to be a better tournament.
Because it has an eye-catching name.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
  #165
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
best idea for it:


2012 World Cup of Hockey – In Canada –
(Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax)
Group A: (Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg)
Canada
Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Belarus
Norway
Group B: (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax)
Russia
Sweden
USA
Switzerland
Germany
Denmark

Top 4 Advance From Each Group To Quarterfinals
Meh...why would Canada host all the games? All the teams should play some home games. Finland in Helsinki, Czech republic in Prague, Sweden in Stockholm etc...

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
  #166
nabby12
Registered User
 
nabby12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Meh...why would Canada host all the games? All the teams should play some home games. Finland in Helsinki, Czech republic in Prague, Sweden in Stockholm etc...
yeah cause the players want to fly back and forth from europe to north america

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:21 PM
  #167
Slimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GBG
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
And at least 27 519 Czechs really think what I said in my previous post:
"Swear word, these are some warriors, not like the divas from the NHL"
Kurva.. Isn't that, like, mother f'er?

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
  #168
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimmy View Post
Kurva.. Isn't that, like, mother f'er?
b*tch

cska78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
  #169
Slimmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GBG
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
b*tch
Aaaaah. No, I remember now. It's pitchka madre or something like that.
Carry on..

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:44 PM
  #170
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Where is a link to confirm this 2012 World Cup of Hockey?

I can't find anything on it.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:12 AM
  #171
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Meh...why would Canada host all the games? All the teams should play some home games. Finland in Helsinki, Czech republic in Prague, Sweden in Stockholm etc...
thats sounds like a justice

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
  #172
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
yeah cause the players want to fly back and forth from europe to north america
so what? we want a justice!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
  #173
MCBad
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Found a great article on why we should most definitely have the world cup.. http://www.msg.com/blogs/bill-hoppe/...ld-cup-1.48727 the only point they forgot to mention is because Hockey is AWESOME!

MCBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
  #174
Nakawick
Registered User
 
Nakawick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Brian Burke likes the world cup

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip340668#clip340668

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
  #175
BladesofSTEELwFIRE
Registered User
 
BladesofSTEELwFIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBad View Post
Found a great article on why we should most definitely have the world cup.. http://www.msg.com/blogs/bill-hoppe/...ld-cup-1.48727 the only point they forgot to mention is because Hockey is AWESOME!
So the World Cup of Hockey has not been finalized to happen again?

BladesofSTEELwFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.