HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

8/12/10 - Holy Thursday edition - Which Central Division opponent will...

View Poll Results: Which Central Division opponent will be biggest challenge to the Preds this season?
Chicago Blackhawks 11 37.93%
Columbus Blue Jackets 4 13.79%
Detroit Red Wings 10 34.48%
St. Louis Blues 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
8/12/10 - Holy Thursday edition - Which Central Division opponent will...

Good morning everyone! Going with a poll today...

The question:

Which Central Division opponent will provide the greatest challenge to the Predators this season?

As you think about your answer, we're going to the way back machine and pulling out a jazzy melody by David Axelrod (not the politician) entitled, "Holy Thursday"...

Chicago - Defending Stanley Cup Champions cannot be overlooked this year even after their dismantling this summer due to cap issues. Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Hossa all remain and provide a solid base of offense for the team. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Duncan Keith anchors the blueline with Brent Seabrook, Brian Campbell, and Niklas Hjarlmarsson providing depth and veteran Marty Turco and his puck-handling skills have been brought in to man the nets.

Detroit - As is the case every year, they are a year older, but after fighting the injury bug all last year, they still challenged Chicago at the end due to a stellar rookie year from goalie Jimmy Howard. Have made a couple key veteran depth pickups in the past couple weeks bringing in Mike Modano and Ruslan Salei, but will it be enough to unseat Chicago atop the division?

St. Louis - Chris Mason is gone from the Blues nets, which is good for the Predators as he seemed to always be a Vezina winner playing against us, but he has been replaced by Jaroslav Halak. Keith Tkachuk retired and Paul Kariya isn't returning either. The Blues have been stockpiling talented youth for a while now...will this be the season it all comes together?

Columbus - I really have no idea what they've done...new rookie head coach looking to make his mark on the team. Ethan Moreau brought in from Edmonton. Steve Mason has to rebound from a miserable sophomore season. Nikita Filatov is back. Lots of question marks in Columbus, but I wouldn't count them out just yet...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:12 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As you think about your answer, we're going to the way back machine and pulling out a jazzy melody by David Axelrod (not the politician) entitled, "Holy Thursday"...

Wow. Didn't think anyone else knew of David Axelrod. Dating myself, I very much enjoy his work with the Electric Prunes on "Mass in F Minor" and " Release of an Oath". Two albums I listen to on a regular basis.

I can see where "Holy Thursday" continues in the same vein of the EP albums. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
MrJoshua

I have to go with the Blackhawks. Yes, they've lost some depth, but they're still stacked on the front end and have a very solid top four on the blue line. It will be interesting to see how Turco does in net for them.

That said, looking at the lineups for the other teams in the division, none of them strike me as being overwhelming. I think Nashville has improved their lineup from last year, and if they can come together as a team the way they did last season they could make some real noise in the division this season.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:51 AM
RollingPredFan

1) Detroit - they won't have the injuries they had last year in all probability
2) Chicago - still will be potent, but not like last year
3) St Louis - I have no idea how Halak will do but Mason always played well against us anyways
40 CBJ - Maybe someday I will be afraid of them, but until then, 'who's your daddy?'

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:43 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Dating myself, I very much enjoy his work with the Electric Prunes on "Mass in F Minor" and " Release of an Oath". Two albums I listen to on a regular basis.
I'm reminded on a regular basis that referring to albums/records and to "taping" a TV show are great ways to show your age.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Chicago (trendy pick)

Detroit (classic, but aging)

St. Louis (thugs/goons)

Columbus (will be successful when this little girl gets her driver's license)

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Chicago (trendy pick)

Detroit (classic, but aging)

St. Louis (thugs/goons)

Columbus (will be successful when this little girl gets her driver's license)
Nicely done.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Chicago - They lost a lot but still have their core. The only bad thing is in order to prevent their bottom lines from being ate up then Kane, Toews, Hossa will all have to play big minutes and probably be gassed or injured towards the end of the season. If not they will likely struggle because their bottom 2 lines and bottom pairing are not that good and will get scored on because there is not a good goalie.

Detroit - Upgraded by replacing Jason Williams with Hudler. Modano wont be much of a factor and some guys like Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom have shown their age and its not going to be any better for them this year. Really they stayed the same as last year and thats my pick for who will give us the trouble.

St Louis - They got Halak and lost offensive depth. Mason was on his game against us and so we should have an easier time with Halak. St Louis had trouble scoring and that was made worse this year so I don't see us having as much trouble with them as we had the past year but they still could be in the playoff hunt.

Columbus - If an overpaid Ethan Moreau is your offseason upgrade then its going to be a long year. That defense is atrocious and because of that I think it will look like Mason has another bad year.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I'm reminded on a regular basis that referring to albums/records and to "taping" a TV show are great ways to show your age.
Well, you just tell that young whippersnapper, that Wikipedia says:

"Today, with the vinyl record no longer being used as the primary form of distribution, the term "album" can still be applied to any sound recording collection, such as those on compact disc, MiniDisc, Compact audio cassette, and digital or MP3 albums. Cover art is also considered an integral part of the album. Many albums also come with liner notes and inserts giving background information or analysis of the recording, reprinted lyrics, images of the performers, or additional artwork and text. These are now often found in the form of CD booklets"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album

That'll teach them. Now where's the spindle for my 45s gone?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Chicago - Any team with Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell is a force to be reckoned with. Plus, I believe they are better off for this season with Turco then Niemi. Turco has proven himself as a quality starter, Niemi has only done it one year.

Detroit - Yes, they'll make the playoffs, but they wont be the dominate force like they were in the past. Jimmy Howard is one of the most over-rated goalies in the world, he just feeds off of his D.

St Louis - They will contend for a playoff spot, but I dont think theyll make it. They made a ton of lateral moves this offseason.

Columbus - They were awful last year. They did nothing in the offseason. They will be awful next year. That is simple reasoning.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
If I were a Jackets fan, Id "grab 2 brews and jump".

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
naihlflames

I was reading the Nashville board and trolled in, just to move Detroit further ahead of Columbus.

As another central division fan, my take is .......

Chicago and Detroit - Flip a coin. Should battle it out for the division with Chicago the defending champ and slight favorite. Upside for both is 1'st in the division and downside 3rd.

Nashville - Familiar story. Low budget with great coaching, D & G. Scoring (or lack of) will be the question. Upside is 2'nd in the division and downside is 4th.

St. Louis - A bit of a wild card. Young and improving. It should be interesting to see how Halak does as the #1 all year long. If everything comes together, could surprise a few. Upside 3'rd, downside 5th.

Columbus - Clear cut #5 in the division, with perhaps the upside of 4th if they get it together and St. Louis struggles.

PS: Bonus question for Nashville fans: How long until Geoffrion gets called up and gets a taste of NHL action? My guess is 5-10 games this year as an injury call up and a shot to crack the 2011/12 roster.

Last edited by naihlflames: 08-12-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: move PS to end
naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
deanwormer

Assuming Turco is at least mediocre, it's Chicago's to lose.
Until we beat Detroit, they still get picked ahead of us.
We have the talent to bury the other two, although at some point you would think all that youth the BooHoos have been collecting would come together.
BJs - all I know is I look at that team and still wonder how the heck they got into the playoffs in front of us a couple years ago. That team is a train-wreck.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Q: What is the difference between the defense that took Columbus to the playoffs and the defense that took Columbus to the fourth overall pick?

A: Christian Backman is gone, Anton Stralman is added, and three of the top four (Hejda, Klesla, and Commodore) weren't all injured or out of shape all at the same time for half the season or more.

Some people just aren't paying attention...

I'm voting Jackets, but not because the team's that much better - just because I think folks are too readily writing them off, and that leads to ugly surprises.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
predfan24

Detroit is going to win the Central this year. Final standings in division:

Detroit
Chicago
Nashville
St.Louis

C-Bus

Final rankings in WC:

2. Detroit
4. Chicago
6. Nash
9. STL
13.CLB

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
- just because I think folks are too readily writing them off, and that leads to ugly surprises.
i agree, and for this reason, i am voting for st. louis (hate to have mojo this early screw us). just when you think something is a sure thing...its not

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i would honestly say detroit, as I do think Chicago has taken a significant step back this season (despite their core being intact). BUT, I do give respect to both STL and Columbus, who I could see being pretty good.

I do think the gulf between Nashville, Detroit and Chicago is smaller than it's ever been, though...it's just that STL isn't far behind, and CBus could be decent if Mason rebounds.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

All of them and none of them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The Central is going to be tough once again. Chicago and Detroit could, and probably will. be elite teams in the league this season. As has been stated a few times, St Louis has a huge amount of youth ready to break out. Columbus might not be a team that strikes fear into the hearts of NHL fans, but that team almost always finds a way to keep it close. I picked Detroit because they have better coaching than Chicago and the players pretty well all know the system to a T. The easy years in the Central are long behind us now, ladies and gentlemen

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Wow. Didn't think anyone else knew of David Axelrod. Dating myself, I very much enjoy his work with the Electric Prunes on "Mass in F Minor" and " Release of an Oath". Two albums I listen to on a regular basis.

I can see where "Holy Thursday" continues in the same vein of the EP albums. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.
I'll be honest...my musical theme this week has simply been songs having the day of the week in the title. I came across this one after listening to about a dozen other songs and I liked it pretty much from the first :10 onward.

Trying to be diverse in my daily musical selection. Have gone with everything from 80's, to Syknyrd, to Simon & Garfunkel yesterday, so today a jazz selection just made sense...

Glad you liked it!

How is everyone liking the DDT concept? I'm open to suggestions here and would eventually like to get other people involved in starting the threads much like we do with the GDT's. Any feedback is welcome...

Old
08-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:

How is everyone liking the DDT concept? I'm open to suggestions here and would eventually like to get other people involved in starting the threads much like we do with the GDT's. Any feedback is welcome...
Daily Doomsday Thread (DDT) is a good idea---helps pass the time in the Dog Days of summer.

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th so I think it might be a good time for some Sky Is Falling Black Cloud Society negativity predictions.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Daily Doomsday Thread (DDT) is a good idea---helps pass the time in the Dog Days of summer.

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th so I think it might be a good time for some Sky Is Falling Black Cloud Society negativity predictions.
I saw an interesting thread on the NJ board regarding the Kovalchuk situation where posters were only allowed to express their opinion in pictures. I'm actually planning on making that the standard for the Friday/weekend DDT.

I hadn't realized that it was Friday the 13th...will have to come up with something interesting with that theme...

Old
08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Seth Lake

I'm voting for St. Louis. I think they are going to see some of their young guys finally put it together this season and will be on our heels all year long.

Honestly, I think if we gel early in the year, we will be competing for the Division title...yes, we are that deep...but, I just have a feeling that it won't be Chicago or Detroit that gives us the most fits this season, but rather the Blues.

Saint Louis is built with a lot of talented youngsters, but they also have some big, tough guys that we simply can't match up well against. Additionally, you know every time we faceoff this year Belak will be taking up a roster spot and essentially putting us down to 11 forwards for the night.

To me, they are going to be the greatest challenge this year...

Old
08-12-2010, 08:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm voting for St. Louis. I think they are going to see some of their young guys finally put it together this season and will be on our heels all year long.

Honestly, I think if we gel early in the year, we will be competing for the Division title...yes, we are that deep...but, I just have a feeling that it won't be Chicago or Detroit that gives us the most fits this season, but rather the Blues.

Saint Louis is built with a lot of talented youngsters, but they also have some big, tough guys that we simply can't match up well against. Additionally, you know every time we faceoff this year Belak will be taking up a roster spot and essentially putting us down to 11 forwards for the night.

To me, they are going to be the greatest challenge this year...
With all of the forward depth I neglected the Belak factor. Honestly, I'd probably still go with the Wings just because they're the freakin' Wings, but this adds a new (more accurately, forgotten) perspective for me.

Song idea: Friday On My Mind by The Easybeats as covered by David Bowie

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-12-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding a song idea and clarification
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
roseyc

I see Detroit back to the top again but I somehow think that Jimmy Howard will come back down to earth. Still the veteran leadership provided by Lidstrom will still be evident. Zetterberg and Datsyuk and Franson are offensive machines. Hudler back and Modano will provide some new energy. The long season will test this aging team with injuries. If they don't have injuries I see this among the best in the west.

Chicago lost veteran leadership. Kane and Toews are great players but they will have be leaders immediately. I still expect them to be a top team. But I don't see them with a long run in the playoffs.

Nashville is the wildcard in this division. If the changes they made prove correct then they will surpass Chicago. If not then they struggle to make the playoffs. Offense will again be the challenge. If the new additions and young players show dramatic improvement then they can overtake Chicago.

StL will be better but they will still have offensive challenges. There defense is young and yet to be a force. The offense has talent but yet to find a collective team unit.

Columbus I don't think will survive. They will have to move Nash and start all over but I don't think the franchise will survive that transition. I look for this team to move eventually. Columbus is not a hockey city and not making the playoffs is really hurting this team.

Overall Detroit will regain the lead again with Nashville and Chicago 2 and 3 but the Hawks will miss the bulk of Bugflien( not sure I spelled it correctly)

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote