HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gordie Clark Dodges Bullets? Tarasenko Extending KHL Contract?

Old
08-11-2010, 08:53 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
His father coaches his team. he wasnt going to leave there. at least not imho. he'll make more money, will play for his dads team, theres no reason for him to come here unless he really wants to be in the NHL, and obviously if he REALLY wanted to be in the NHL...he wouldnt have signed an extension.
Just to be clear, he hasn't signed an extension. Not yet, anyway. This is all based on a report in Sport-Express that cited no source and included no direct quotes from anyone involved.

Tarasenko, meanwhile, has said numerous times that he wants to play in the NHL and has dreamed of playing in the NHL since he was a kid.

I think it's a little premature for everyone to be writing him off and patting Gordie on the back. Even if he does sign an extension, it doesn't mean he's never coming over.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just to be clear, he hasn't signed an extension. Not yet, anyway. This is all based on a report in Sport-Express that cited no source and included no direct quotes from anyone involved.

Tarasenko, meanwhile, has said numerous times that he wants to play in the NHL and has dreamed of playing in the NHL since he was a kid.

I think it's a little premature for everyone to be writing him off and patting Gordie on the back. Even if he does sign an extension, it doesn't mean he's never coming over.
i also am in now way, shape, or form patting Gordie on the back for this.

At that spot there is no way I take McIlrath.

thats just me though.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

thats just me though.
I felt the same way and in some regards still do....obviously you never know with prospects

but one thing is for sure, McIlrath has certainly grown on me....i actually like the pick

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Once again I would disagree. IF you have money (and pretty much all these athletes do) there is possibly no better place to live than NYC. To live in the greatest city in the country, and do it in style is attractive. Do you really think your average NHL player who gets a call that he has been traded wouldn't feel at least a little bit better to learn he was going to the Rangers as opposed to Memphis, Nashville, Columbus, Buffalo, etc? I'm not saying the appeal is so great you leave millions on the table come to NYC...but it's certainly an allure.
Again, I love the city, but have you ever gone to other major cities? Plenty of other cities have the allure of NYC. Some examples off the top of my head that I've actually been to would be Dallas/Ft. Worth, the D.C. area, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston.

Depending on the reasons, some may have more of a draw to some players seeking somewhere to live. For example, from my visit to Toronto I pretty much came to the conclusion it's like New York City light. It's on the water, it's a huge city with an awesome skyline. Only differences are it's not overpopulated and it's clean.

I'm sure cities like Nashville and Columbus are the perfect size and more appealing to a lot of guys versus New York or Los Angeles.

And you mentioned cost of living, why wouldn't someone want to spend less money in another major city or the suburb of?

As it's been pointed out numerous times as well, some guys don't like the draw of a big city. And if you want to talk about guys getting traded and in free agency, I'd venture to say a large percentage of guys.

And at the end of the day there's plenty of great places to play in the NHL, all with their own appeal. The most important factors are the direction of a team and what its current chances of success are. Plenty of teams have the leg up on us in that case.

Thus, the draw of New York city to draftees, free agents, etc. is vastly overrated here.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 06:15 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
Even if he was drafted by the Rangers, I don't think many people expected he would come in and immediately contribute to the Rangers. He would spend at least 1 year in the AHL, and IMO playing where he is at is best for his development.

In the interest of not rushing prospects, I would have liked to see him with 2 years more development before he made the Rangers. IIRC, he had this year left on his contract, so if he extends it another year, that is right on par with how he would have been developed anyway, except in the KHL rather then the AHL.

Did you guys really expect if we drafted Tarasenko he would immediatly impact the Rangers? He is good, but not ready.

This news should really only make the Rangers breathe a sigh of relief if the extension is longer then 1 year.
Good point... Tarasenko is probably 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL... So, this possible KHL deal for a few years would really not be a big deal... No?

Kind of similar to Mcilrath as Mcilrath is probably 3 years or so away from playing in the NHL if he develops so I don't think the issue with Tarasenko really matters.

Anyway.. both players seem to be good prospects.. it will be interesting to see how things play out in the next few years.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Again, I love the city, but have you ever gone to other major cities? Plenty of other cities have the allure of NYC. Some examples off the top of my head that I've actually been to would be Dallas/Ft. Worth, the D.C. area, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston.

Depending on the reasons, some may have more of a draw to some players seeking somewhere to live. For example, from my visit to Toronto I pretty much came to the conclusion it's like New York City light. It's on the water, it's a huge city with an awesome skyline. Only differences are it's not overpopulated and it's clean.

I'm sure cities like Nashville and Columbus are the perfect size and more appealing to a lot of guys versus New York or Los Angeles.

And you mentioned cost of living, why wouldn't someone want to spend less money in another major city or the suburb of?

As it's been pointed out numerous times as well, some guys don't like the draw of a big city. And if you want to talk about guys getting traded and in free agency, I'd venture to say a large percentage of guys.

And at the end of the day there's plenty of great places to play in the NHL, all with their own appeal. The most important factors are the direction of a team and what its current chances of success are. Plenty of teams have the leg up on us in that case.

Thus, the draw of New York city to draftees, free agents, etc. is vastly overrated here.
Come on now. I've been to every single one you mentioned and the only one that comes even remotely close is Chicago. No one actually lives in the District outside of Georgetown other than crackheads. Dallas/Ft. Worth? Are you kidding me? The only major metropolises (that I've been to) that really compare to NYC are London and Tokyo - maybe Paris. Nothing else has the energy and the diversity and the culture and the sheer volume of people and places and things to do.

It's clear from your comments that you're not a big city person. (Which is okay, by the way!) But when you make statements like the above, with little hints like "it's not overpopulated and it's clean" and "Columbus and Nashville are the perfect size" you peg yourself pretty clearly as a suburban guy. To the extent some athletes are also suburban guys, your point of view may be applicable. It is absolutely true that not everyone loves the lifestyle - including some athletes.

But to anyone who likes to actually live in and experience cities, and not just drive in and out for events, NYC is like no other. (Especially if you're young and rich and famous.) This has been confirmed by hundreds of athletes who've made some variation on the quote "there's nothing like winning in New York." And many athletes, who in general tend to have "type A" peronalities that push them to be the best at whatever they do, seem to like the limelight and the lifestyle that only NYC can provide - I mean, can you imagine Hank or Mess (never mind Avery!), just to mention a couple of Rangers all-time favorites, living (not just playing, but living) anywhere else?

So yes, NYC does have an allure to a lot of players. Not all, but a lot.

(And that's before we even get into the comfort factor that NYC's many expat communities provide to foreign-born players.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
St. Louis is an awesome town with a great reputation. The organization is also well respected. Granted, it's not as glitzy or star-studded as NYC or LA, but I think his decision has more to do with other factors.
No, it's not.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Come on now. I've been to every single one you mentioned and the only one that comes even remotely close is Chicago. No one actually lives in the District outside of Georgetown other than crackheads.
While I agree that the cities mentioned don't compare to NYC (one way or another...I can see people liking some of them better than NYC but that's personal taste and directly comparing them to NYC shows that they're very different) your comment about DC is just stupid and ignorant

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

It's different for different people, naturally. I think, in general, New York has an advantage over most cities. Not to stereotpye, but I tend to think it's got an advantage over most places for young, Russian draftees, because it has a large and well-known Russian population here. That's not unique, of course, but most US cities do not have that.

On the other hand, New York might not be such a huge draw for a Finnish draftee from Kokkola who thinks Helsinki is too big and smelly.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:22 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Come on now. I've been to every single one you mentioned and the only one that comes even remotely close is Chicago. No one actually lives in the District outside of Georgetown other than crackheads. Dallas/Ft. Worth? Are you kidding me? The only major metropolises (that I've been to) that really compare to NYC are London and Tokyo - maybe Paris. Nothing else has the energy and the diversity and the culture and the sheer volume of people and places and things to do.

It's clear from your comments that you're not a big city person. (Which is okay, by the way!) But when you make statements like the above, with little hints like "it's not overpopulated and it's clean" and "Columbus and Nashville are the perfect size" you peg yourself pretty clearly as a suburban guy. To the extent some athletes are also suburban guys, your point of view may be applicable. It is absolutely true that not everyone loves the lifestyle - including some athletes.

But to anyone who likes to actually live in and experience cities, and not just drive in and out for events, NYC is like no other. (Especially if you're young and rich and famous.) This has been confirmed by hundreds of athletes who've made some variation on the quote "there's nothing like winning in New York." And many athletes, who in general tend to have "type A" peronalities that push them to be the best at whatever they do, seem to like the limelight and the lifestyle that only NYC can provide - I mean, can you imagine Hank or Mess (never mind Avery!), just to mention a couple of Rangers all-time favorites, living (not just playing, but living) anywhere else?

So yes, NYC does have an allure to a lot of players. Not all, but a lot.

(And that's before we even get into the comfort factor that NYC's many expat communities provide to foreign-born players.)
Dude, you need to drop the Bridge and Tunnel crusade.

LA is equal to NY in size, nightlife and culture. Boston and Chicago are awesome cities. Miami is beautiful. Dallas is starting to pick up. Phoenix is full of beautiful women year round.

I live here in the city too (live in BK, work in Manhattan). I travel to Paris and London on the regular. And while none of them compare to good ole NYC, it's not for everyone. Hell, I just spent a weekend on LI and damn was it nice not having to hear garbage trucks at 2AM and be able tosmell the ocean at night (I grew up on LI too).

You can live like a king in other cities on the same NHL salary and be just a revered by the fans (with much lower taxes and a better cost of living). Win in Boston and see how you are regarded by the fans. Look at the godlike treatment the Hawks players got after they delivered the cup to Chicago for the first time in 60 years.

The expats thing, while true is not exclusive to NY. Plenty of cities in the US have a large expat community.

Don't forget, while winning in NY may be like winning nowhere else, the same thing goes for losing. We can be BRUTAL here in NY.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
While I agree that the cities mentioned don't compare to NYC (one way or another...I can see people liking some of them better than NYC but that's personal taste and directly comparing them to NYC shows that they're very different) your comment about DC is just stupid and ignorant
I just want to support Levitate's post, here. I went to college in DC, and it had a lot going for it back then. It's 100 times nicer than it was 10 years ago, too.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No, it's not.
Actually I've heard a lot of people rave about St. Louis. It is certainly a baseball town, that's for sure...but it is a city where people want to go play at least in baseball. There is a lot to do there as well outside of sports.

Sure it's not New York...but I don't think that's the point. People need to stop acting like coming to New York is this amazing sales pitch. It's just another city to a lot of people.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

until we know the length of the contract, this is all premature.

had we drafted vladamir, my gut tells me he would have stayed in russia 1 perhaps 2 more years and then would have come here and made the roster.

i do not blame him one bit for wanting to stay in russia with his father and family/friends and then fulfill his dream of playing in the nhl. no need to come over early and play in the a if hes physically ready to play in the bigs in 1-2 years. playing in the k, with and against men, is still better than the a anyway.

and although im warming to the "idea" of why we drafted big mac, i still wish we would have taken tarsenko at 10. i see this kid as having really high end scoring ability.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I don't know, maybe I came on too militant - apologies for that. I just came from reading the typical main board **** about New York, New Yorkers and New York attitude and I had my feathers ruffled. I thought I had made it clear that NY isn't for everyone and of course other places are better for people who don't like it. The point, however, is that New York IS unique and for those who like what makes it unique, there are precious few other places in the world that compare - even including among the cities you all have listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Sigh. You're right about the crackhead comment - it was over the top and based on a stereotype from the late 80s/early 90s. Given that I don't like similar stereotypes about NYC, I shouldn't have stooped to do the same.

That said, it doesn't change the fact that DC is a city that most people commute into in the morning and then leave at night, except for a couple of select neighborhoods. The rest of the residential communities in the actual DC limits are not very nice. Most people who say they're from DC are actually from Alexandria or Reston or Falls Church or etc., etc.

Again, however, apologies for the cheap shot about crackheads - it WAS stupid and ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Dude, you need to drop the Bridge and Tunnel crusade.

LA is equal to NY in size, nightlife and culture. Boston and Chicago are awesome cities. Miami is beautiful. Dallas is starting to pick up. Phoenix is full of beautiful women year round.

I live here in the city too (live in BK, work in Manhattan). I travel to Paris and London on the regular. And while none of them compare to good ole NYC, it's not for everyone. Hell, I just spent a weekend on LI and damn was it nice not having to hear garbage trucks at 2AM and be able tosmell the ocean at night (I grew up on LI too).

You can live like a king in other cities on the same NHL salary and be just a revered by the fans (with much lower taxes and a better cost of living). Win in Boston and see how you are regarded by the fans. Look at the godlike treatment the Hawks players got after they delivered the cup to Chicago for the first time in 60 years.

The expats thing, while true is not exclusive to NY. Plenty of cities in the US have a large expat community.

Don't forget, while winning in NY may be like winning nowhere else, the same thing goes for losing. We can be BRUTAL here in NY.
What on earth do you mean by bridge and tunnel crusade? Personally, I prefer living in the city itself at this stage in my life, but that's for me, and for the time being. My comments were meant to include the greater NY area.

Furthermore, I didn't say that there weren't other viable places to live; I didn't say they didn't each have their advantages (otherwise they obviously wouldn't have millions of people living there); and I most certainly didn't say that there are other places in the world that are a lot more appropriate for people who don't like what NY has to offer. What I said was they didn't compare to NY - I stand by that. They don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Actually I've heard a lot of people rave about St. Louis. It is certainly a baseball town, that's for sure...but it is a city where people want to go play at least in baseball. There is a lot to do there as well outside of sports.

Sure it's not New York...but I don't think that's the point. People need to stop acting like coming to New York is this amazing sales pitch. It's just another city to a lot of people.
St. Louis is an insane baseball town. Perhaps #1 in the country.

I'm sorry, but New York IS different. This is the point I was getting at earlier. Places like Phoenix and Dallas and Denver compare favorably if you like what a city of that make-up has to offer. If you are drawn to what makes New York it's own special place, there is nowhere else like it in the United States and only a couple in the world.

Fair enough?

Old
08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
St. Louis is an awesome town with a great reputation. The organization is also well respected. Granted, it's not as glitzy or star-studded as NYC or LA, but I think his decision has more to do with other factors.
Not disagreeing with you. Having said that, I don't believe it has the global appeal of NYC, LA, etc.

But again, this is all speculation. None of us know the details and drawing conclusions is risky.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
lol way to be a downer and try taking credit away. He called it.
Really wasn't trying to. Just not sure how anyone can make that claim without the details. Without knowing the Rangers mindset or whether being picked by a different team would alter Tarasenko's plans.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
beastly115

Quote:

thats just me though.
You'll be glad we did when McIlrath knocks out a few of Tarasenko's teeth

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Really wasn't trying to. Just not sure how anyone can make that claim without the details. Without knowing the Rangers mindset or whether being picked by a different team would alter Tarasenko's plans.
Bringing this all back on topic, we don't yet know that he has even signed the deal or what the terms might be - those specifics will also play a big part in this discussion as well. A one year tack-on with an NHL out clause would be a lot different than a three year deal compelling him to stay in Russia until 2014. We're reading a lot into the "sigh" portion of the tweet.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I don't know, maybe I came on too militant - apologies for that. I just came from reading the typical main board **** about New York, New Yorkers and New York attitude and I had my feathers ruffled. I thought I had made it clear that NY isn't for everyone and of course other places are better for people who don't like it. The point, however, is that New York IS unique and for those who like what makes it unique, there are precious few other places in the world that compare - even including among the cities you all have listed.

Sigh. You're right about the crackhead comment - it was over the top and based on a stereotype from the late 80s/early 90s. Given that I don't like similar stereotypes about NYC, I shouldn't have stooped to do the same.

That said, it doesn't change the fact that DC is a city that most people commute into in the morning and then leave at night, except for a couple of select neighborhoods. The rest of the residential communities in the actual DC limits are not very nice. Most people who say they're from DC are actually from Alexandria or Reston or Falls Church or etc., etc.

Again, however, apologies for the cheap shot about crackheads - it WAS stupid and ignorant.

What on earth do you mean by bridge and tunnel crusade? Personally, I prefer living in the city itself at this stage in my life, but that's for me, and for the time being. My comments were meant to include the greater NY area.

Furthermore, I didn't say that there weren't other viable places to live; I didn't say they didn't each have their advantages (otherwise they obviously wouldn't have millions of people living there); and I most certainly didn't say that there are other places in the world that are a lot more appropriate for people who don't like what NY has to offer. What I said was they didn't compare to NY - I stand by that. They don't.

St. Louis is an insane baseball town. Perhaps #1 in the country.

I'm sorry, but New York IS different. This is the point I was getting at earlier. Places like Phoenix and Dallas and Denver compare favorably if you like what a city of that make-up has to offer. If you are drawn to what makes New York it's own special place, there is nowhere else like it in the United States and only a couple in the world.

Fair enough?
But I'm not just comparing Pheonix, Dallas and Denver to New York. Of course those cities are different. I am talking about cities like Miami, Chicago and LA.

New York is totally it's own special place. I mean a fair amount of us are from/around there. I grew up an hour north of the city, but spent a ton of time down there. Both of my parents are from there. I know its a special place. All I am saying is that people need to stop acting like "oh it's New York" is the only sales pitch you need. New York thinks it's going to get every major free agent for that reason...and they aren't. If that was true then LeBron would be a Knick...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
DarthSather99

I liked Tarasenko but wanted Bjugstad more. I believe that IF the Rangers had drafted Tarasenko, this extension probably doesn't happen.

I'm happy with McIlrath

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Yeah it is a big commuter city, but a pretty fair amount of people do live there in some nice places.

Georgetown, obviously, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Capital Hill, Adam's Morgan, Mt. Pleasant, Gallery Place/Penn Quarter, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Foggy Bottom...

There's a decent amount of bad areas still, of course, but there's also a pretty big swath of nice places to live (it's just expensive as hell).

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

thats just me though.
Good thing you are not the GM or scout...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Good thing you are not the GM or scout...
Says the who would have given Boogaard a 10 year deal.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I have to disagree with that unless some team was going to guarantee that he would go straight to the NHL. Most prospects (short of top 3 picks) spend at least a year if not two in the minors. So if he extends for a year he could essentially cut his time in the minors by half.
Great point!

I mean we'd easily draft someone like Kreider or McI who are 3-4 years away; but god forbid that a russian kid don't instantly turn pro in NA.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Says the who would have given Boogaard a 10 year deal.
Boom Boom, you still holding a grudge...now, now...let's be friends.

I am sorry Ray Whitney, Marc Recchi and Teemu Selanne are on other teams...maybe we can talk Brind'Amour to come out of retirement...would that satisfy your desire for older men?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote