HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

vCash: 500
Let's see if I can add to numbers to this list.

My Routine
M- Chest + 6km run in 30min
T - Back + 4.75km run in 20min
W- Legs + 4.75km run in 20min
Th - Shoulders
F - Arms
S- Off
S- 2 sets of 3km+/12min runs + Hill sprints + Carrying friend (200lbs) up a Hill.

(Yes I'm Canadian, so I work in kilometers!)

Weight: 165 pounds

1RM Flat Bench - 275 / Decline - 345
1RM Squat - 335
1RM Dead - 365

I used to do split days, but it mad me lazy and I found myself skipping more days then on a one body part per day.

People who are questioning some 1RM numbers, probably don't train for power (MaxOT type training). Hypertrophy and Strength training are different.

I consistently out bench/squat/dead-lift my friend who ways 200lbs. He trains Hypertrophy and almost never trains close to his 1RM, but he looks almost twice my size.

Tip: Don't be afraid to cheat, but make sure you're not just cheating!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Looking at everyone else's #'s makes me feel like ****. I remember when I was properly fit. Damn it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I dooooooo

Monday - The sofa diet of gaming, Eating crap and sitting infront of the TV

Tuesday - The above^, but then a 2 hour rugby training session

Wednesday - Same as monday

Thursday - same has tuesday

Friday - same as monday

Saturday - Rugby Game

Sunday - Rugby training

Don't do the Gym, or weights. All cardio and tackling technique

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Maybe my info was wrong, but I thought it was very important to take at least a few days off every week for recovery. It seems like a lot of you guys are hitting the gym 7 days a week. I'm not a hardcore gym guy (I go a 3 or 4 days a week, mostly for an overall musclegain/fatloss thing, not powerlifting) but I was under the impression too much gym would slow down muscle gain quite a bit.

Unless you guys are really spreading out your muscle groups. My routine is more like arms, chest and abs, legs. Everyday includes cardio as well.

I don't know though, I'm a gym noob.
It is true that you actually don't gain muscle when you lift, lifting rips your muscles apart and you gain muscle when they repair themselves because they take excess protein and glycogen to rebuild the tissue.

That being said, arms can rest on leg day, legs can rest on arm day, etc. A common mistake people make (other than doing lifts incorrectly, for a good laugh go to the lat pulldown machine and count how many people do it correctly, I guarantee it is <5%) is doing abs and/or curls (the showy type muscles) every damn day, does nothing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I used to do a typical body builders split of chest/back one day, legs another, etc.. Then I went to the Bill Starr 5x5 which is more of a power lifters program, less pretty beach muscles, more focus on core strength and usable athleticism, along with 5k run 5 nights a week. Then I took some time off as I was running into over training injuries in my knees and wrists.

Now that I'm getting back into it. I'm doing one round of P90x before I get back into moving any serious weight around in the gym, combined with an hour a day on my bike (usually works out to about 20 miles or so). I have no idea what my maxes are in any lifts, and won't be testing for another couple months.
I have heard so much about that P90x thing, is it like an aerobic type thing or is it an explosive muscle type thing?

Quote:

I completely disagree. Very low-rep, very high-weight lifts develop explosive strength (read: athleticism) faster than any other kind of lifting. Lifting exclusively like that is hard on your joints and tendons, and doesn't condition the muscle for aerobic activity that well, but it is definitely useful.

I personally think guys who lift for power and explosive strength usually have an easy time adapting any given muscle group to aerobic work (and better baseline performance before any activity-specific training). Where as I find endurance athletes have a lot harder time making big gains in the strength department.

To put it simply, sprinters make way better marathoners than marathoners make sprinters. Just my opinion.
Low rep, high weight is great if done right, too many people are lazy when they lift. You have to really get under the weight and rep through it with explosive motion (like you mentioned) for the true benefit of the exercise. It basically all comes down to form and determination more than strength.

Quote:
To put it simply, sprinters make way better marathoners than marathoners make sprinters. Just my opinion.
That is an interesting theory; however, I probably would destroy it for you as I am a good sprinter, but can barely jog 3 miles without having an asthma attack, haha.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Looking at everyone else's #'s makes me feel like ****. I remember when I was properly fit. Damn it.
Get a Rowan gym membership, what is it like 20 mins from Mt. Holly? We can get those numbers back.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Agrudez, I do P90 at school, since I dont have a gym membership, and my school gym is 20 min down the road (which im not walking to in -20 Cleveland **** storm weather).

Id say its for non athletes who dont know how to get a good program set up. Everything is laid out. Its good for slimming you down and building lean muscle.

However, It doesnt build up muscle like you would if your hitting a gym and doing heavy weights. After spending all summer in the gym and doing real work, Im kinda bummed about going back to P90. But its still good, and does the trick to look sexy.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I have heard so much about that P90x thing, is it like an aerobic type thing or is it an explosive muscle type thing?
Basically, it is a bunch of primarily body weight based exercises, presented in a sequence to really challenge you. You get a certain amount of time to do a set of each exercise (# of reps is user decided), then it's onto the next one, with very few breaks. So it's scalable from user to user. A guy in great shape might do push ups at a fast pace for 25 seconds in the same spot on the DVD where someone new to exercise does ten seconds worth of push ups and rests for 15 seconds.

It's mostly a conditioning/aerobic thing, particularly if you are a lifter who already has a lot of muscle (a single set of the exercises themselves won't be that tough). But if you are a first time exerciser, you could definitely put on a good amount of muscle doing it too.

How good it is really all depends on the person doing it, like any routine. You loaf, you get **** results, you bust your ass you can burn 1200+ calories in an hour on some of those videos.

Quote:
That is an interesting theory; however, I probably would destroy it for you as I am a good sprinter, but can barely jog 3 miles without having an asthma attack, haha.
Fair enough, but then take a marathoner and put them under a bar, or in a 200m dash, and see how much all that endurance work has eaten away their muscle and explosive ability. I guarantee you'd have a lot easier time training for respectable levels of aerobic capacity than they would making up ground in the strength department.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Well, as a full time student with a full time internship (will only be 20 hours/week during the school year, though) I still get 2 hours 5-6 days a week in the gym. It is all about priorities, you can sacrifice work, gym, social or sleep, I chose sleep.
Let's see if you are as cocky when you have a job and actual financial responsibility. Until then, don't lecture someone else about free-time.

Kuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
hahaha, interesting point there

when i was still able to bench without my right arm pretty much going "NO" i could only ever do 185 (use proper form, kids!). now, its likely closer to 150 on a good day, or on cocaine...i just get the feeling that pushups dont provide the same strength. i could squat 350. no idea what my max for either was, i never really saw the point of going for it.
Kuato never actually tried to "max out" on exercise. Doing 1 rep of as much weight as Kuato could handle is rather pointless as you point out. Unless you compete in power-lifting or something.

Kuato does a mixture of resistance (weights, bands, kettle ball, whatever), yoga and usually some kind of cardio (bike, heavy bag, or some kind of P90X dvd). Really depends on his mood.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:19 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
Kuato never actually tried to "max out" on exercise. Doing 1 rep of as much weight as Kuato could handle is rather pointless as you point out. Unless you compete in power-lifting or something.

Kuato does a mixture of resistance (weights, bands, kettle ball, whatever), yoga and usually some kind of cardio (bike, heavy bag, or some kind of P90X dvd). Really depends on his mood.
JSTAFF wants to make fun of you yet I'm pretty sure you have a medical condition so I won't.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Let's see if you are as cocky when you have a job and actual financial responsibility. Until then, don't lecture someone else about free-time.
basically all of the people i know with actual jobs and financial responsibility watch tv for no fewer than 2 hours a day. most hit 3 hours every week night.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Wow - you guys are hardcore. I hit the Gym 4 days a week and have Martial Arts two nights a week. With three boys ages 4 and under, that is as good as it gets for me.

I am about 5-11 and 205. I never do weights for max anymore, that kind of became secondary to keeping lean and fit when I got married and had kids. I did a superset workout 5 years ago to get to a decent max, ended up doing 225 for 6 at the end. Now, I couldn't. The rest I have no idea.

6 days of weight training really seems to be too much. You need to take rest/cardio days to properly let your muscles recover and grow. You should ask a personal trainer to look at your workout regime and see what they think.
What type of martial arts do you study? Kuato has been looking to get back into that for a while now.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
JSTAFF wants to make fun of you yet I'm pretty sure you have a medical condition so I won't.
Would you care to elaborate? Kuato wants to make sure you are saying what he thinks you are before he properly responds.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
basically all of the people i know with actual jobs and financial responsibility watch tv for no fewer than 2 hours a day. most hit 3 hours every week night.
Well clearly the people you know represent most normal folk. 3 hours 5 nights a week, ha! Yeah right. Only under some very unique circumstances (meaning very lenient careers).

Old
08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
BringBackStevens

Working out is horrible, I hate it.

I also eat like total crap. Ever since I was a baby I couldn't eat green vegetables. It's embarassing but true. I'm a picky eater and I would like to eat better but I just don't know how to go about it when I literally get disgusted by the food that is best for you. I try to eat carrots and apples and stuff as often as I can but that can only go so far I'm sure.

I realize I am unhealthy and stupid but I just hate working out for the sake of working out so much that I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without deciding to spend my time doing something I actually enjoy. My diet on top of that concerns me too. I'm 23 and realize now is probably the time to start at least improving on this stuff but I really am at a loss for how to get it turned around

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 10:58 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate? Kuato wants to make sure you are saying what he thinks you are before he properly responds.
Stop talking in third person on every post and people might actually read what you have to say

Old
08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Stop talking in third person on every post and people might actually read what you have to say
The way someone speaks has nothing to do with the content of their message. What's next, are you going to say you don't take urban black folk seriously because of their vernacular?

Old
08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
The way someone speaks has nothing to do with the content of their message. What's next, are you going to say you don't take urban black folk seriously because of their vernacular?
Actually, I dont.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Well, as a full time student with a full time internship (will only be 20 hours/week during the school year, though) I still get 2 hours 5-6 days a week in the gym. It is all about priorities, you can sacrifice work, gym, social or sleep, I chose sleep.
You really don't have a clue and have a lot to learn. I remember when I made that kind of ******** statement in school.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

glad to see some other sprinters in this thread.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Actually, I dont.
Kuato would say that he is surprised, but given our brief interactions with one another so far, he's not. Critical thinking does not appear to be your strong point.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

I also eat like total crap. Ever since I was a baby I couldn't eat green vegetables. It's embarassing but true. I'm a picky eater and I would like to eat better but I just don't know how to go about it when I literally get disgusted by the food that is best for you. I try to eat carrots and apples and stuff as often as I can but that can only go so far I'm sure.

I realize I am unhealthy and stupid but I just hate working out for the sake of working out so much that I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without deciding to spend my time doing something I actually enjoy. My diet on top of that concerns me too. I'm 23 and realize now is probably the time to start at least improving on this stuff but I really am at a loss for how to get it turned around
A few years back I was actually a biggish sized dude. At first cleaning up my diet wasn't easy. But when I did, I found that my body actually started craving healthier foods once that's all I gave it. In turn, potato chips start lost their reign over me and my will power. They still don't taste as good to me as they used to.

As for working out, once you start to see results from it, it can be very satisfying. I think it might be easier to stay motivated if you took up a sport and set some goals as far as your performance. I can be a really competitive person when it comes to certain things, and if you're the same, you can use it to your advantage in that way. A motivated and intense work out buddy always helps.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Kuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
You really don't have a clue and have a lot to learn. I remember when I made that kind of ******** statement in school.
Kuato felt the same exact way when reading that statement. Pompous little fella he is.

Old
08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

I was like you for a very long time. I still hate eating my Broccoli, Asparagus, Spinach, etc... Really you will have to experiment and find which vegetable and fruits you like the most.

Common vegetables that are easy to enjoy are; Lettuce, Tomatoes, Sweet peppers, Cucumbers and Radish (trust me they have no flavour in a salad, but they add nutrients).

What I've learned to do is mix things in salads and coat it in a good balsamic vinegar and some olive oil. As long as you limit the oil you'll be getting a lot of great vitamins, feeling fuller at meals and not overdoing it on the calories. (Don't buy those crappy store bought dressings)

If you really can't stand veggies, then I suggest throwing in some fruits with your salads to contrast the flavours.

Ex;
1) Arugula + Strawberries + Onions + Dark Balsamic Cream + Olive Oil
2) Romaine lettuce + Sliced Apples + Onions + Broccoli Floweretts + White Balsamic Vinegar/Apple Cider Vinegar + Olive Oil
3) Preferred lettuce + Oranges + Salmon + Onions + Preferred Vinegar + Sweet Peppers/Spinach + Olive Oil

You can add and subtract whatever you prefer, but these are some tried and tested combos.

You can only go so far with Apples and Carrots. You need to expand you fruit variety, because even eating cheesecake everyday gets boring.

I'll name a couple of uncommon fruit that are delicious and healthy.

Prickly Pears and Persimmons.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Kuato would say that he is surprised, but given our brief interactions with one another so far, he's not. Critical thinking does not appear to be your strong point.
Lecturing to someone about being cocky whilst referring to one's self in the third person . . . not a winning combo.

Welcome to the boards.