HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
getting back on track, who wants to sell me a rowing machine? ill start by offering you 50 bucks for it, and then you'll likely tell me to **** myself, so i'll offer 75 after that.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
getting back on track, who wants to sell me a rowing machine? ill start by offering you 50 bucks for it, and then you'll likely tell me to **** myself, so i'll offer 75 after that.
I don't think I have ever known anyone that owned a rowing machine, very obscure piece of equipment, some gyms don't even have one. You should try to do a spin bike, it will really increase your lower body size while burning 800 cals/hr. Imo, rowing machines just mess up your rotary cuffs (just like real rowing).

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I don't think I have ever known anyone that owned a rowing machine, very obscure piece of equipment, some gyms don't even have one. You should try to do a spin bike, it will really increase your lower body size while burning 800 cals/hr. Imo, rowing machines just mess up your rotary cuffs (just like real rowing).
Haha, lower body is set. But the rotator cuff thing sucks

Old
08-12-2010, 01:50 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Haha, lower body is set. But the rotator cuff thing sucks
What exactly are you trying to do, lose weight? Lifting is actually the best caloric burn/time spent, much better than cardio which often uses alot of your body's energy for respiration rather than metabolism. If you just want to work your upper body and lose weight I would suggest doing an upper body super set type workout (high energy, build muscle and do cardio at the same time, essentially). That P90x thing sounds like it would accomplish a similiar thing as well.

Old
08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Keep it on TOPIC!!!

Quote:
Awesome machines for the upper lats, bi-ceps, backs, shoulder, abs,forearms and hip flexors - and get a good sweat too.

As for the banter, take it to PM's guys, we don't care about the hard-ons you have for each other now.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I guess I should provide some background. In the 6 years since I left high school I've only put 3-4 inches on my waist, which isn't bad considering the drinking I did. My goal is to get rid of that, get in better shape, and maybe add some strength as a bonus.

Here's where I get confused though...my do-it-myself training for track left me with problems that make serious running problematic, and wrist/arm issues that make upper body lifting even more problematic(I wasn't even able to lift upper body in 12th grade).

So, what would be the best way to accomplish this? P90x as suggested? Thanks for the advice guys

Old
08-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I guess I should provide some background. In the 6 years since I left high school I've only put 3-4 inches on my waist, which isn't bad considering the drinking I did. My goal is to get rid of that, get in better shape, and maybe add some strength as a bonus.

Here's where I get confused though...my do-it-myself training for track left me with problems that make serious running problematic, and wrist/arm issues that make upper body lifting even more problematic(I wasn't even able to lift upper body in 12th grade).

So, what would be the best way to accomplish this? P90x as suggested? Thanks for the advice guys

A properly fit bicycle is a fantastic way to burn mad calories with out putting much stress at all on old running injuries. I have terrible ankles from running too much, too hard when I was too heavy, and so now I ride. It's a decent substitute provided you actually push yourself (too many people half ass it on their bikes IMO)

I heard you mention that you're not really balling out of control right now. Road bikes don't have to be expensive. Bikes are simple machines, and the improvements they've made to them in the last 30 years aren't that relevant to your everyday rider (as opposed to the racers who are obsessed over microseconds). I just found my buddy an old steel frame road bike that we freshened up in my garage last night. 150 bucks all in he has a really reliable bike that is built like a tank and rides smooth as butter. It's super important to get a good fit though.

As for upper body muscle development...... I don't know anything other than lifting. Swimmers all seem to be kinda muscular and lean, but they probably lift.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:16 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
A few years back I was actually a biggish sized dude. At first cleaning up my diet wasn't easy. But when I did, I found that my body actually started craving healthier foods once that's all I gave it. In turn, potato chips start lost their reign over me and my will power. They still don't taste as good to me as they used to.
I don't really view myself as a "big" person. I've had great metabolism my whole life (which has slowed since I hit 21 or 22 admittedly), but at 6'0" 205 I don't mind my appearance. The way I look and being big and strong really is not a motivating factor for me. What concerns me is that I can tell I can't continue living this way for too long if I want to live a nice long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
As for working out, once you start to see results from it, it can be very satisfying. I think it might be easier to stay motivated if you took up a sport and set some goals as far as your performance. I can be a really competitive person when it comes to certain things, and if you're the same, you can use it to your advantage in that way. A motivated and intense work out buddy always helps.
I think that's my main problem, because like I said above I really don't have much I would change about me. Seeing the results wouldn't be motivating factor.

I'm very competitive as well, and I love playing sports but I'm having trouble getting into stuff regularly. I play pick up baseball and tennis but I can go months without being able to play and when I do I am really out of shape. The sports I like to play you almost need other people and that can be a challenge. If i'm not necessarily trying to be uber-fit but just healthier in general, do you think just going on bicycle rides a few days a week and playing the odd pick up games combined with some more veggy and fruit intake would do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I was like you for a very long time. I still hate eating my Broccoli, Asparagus, Spinach, etc... Really you will have to experiment and find which vegetable and fruits you like the most.

Common vegetables that are easy to enjoy are; Lettuce, Tomatoes, Sweet peppers, Cucumbers and Radish (trust me they have no flavour in a salad, but they add nutrients).
I can't stand salads... it's not because they are gross to me but because they just don't give me any satisfaction. Do you have a recommended way of getting "into" salads? Maybe a less healthy salad to start and then ween my way off of it? Tomatoes are a no go for me but I don't mind peppers and cucumbers so much.

Quote:
What I've learned to do is mix things in salads and coat it in a good balsamic vinegar and some olive oil. As long as you limit the oil you'll be getting a lot of great vitamins, feeling fuller at meals and not overdoing it on the calories. (Don't buy those crappy store bought dressings)
That sort of answers my question above.

Quote:
If you really can't stand veggies, then I suggest throwing in some fruits with your salads to contrast the flavours.

Ex;
1) Arugula + Strawberries + Onions + Dark Balsamic Cream + Olive Oil
2) Romaine lettuce + Sliced Apples + Onions + Broccoli Floweretts + White Balsamic Vinegar/Apple Cider Vinegar + Olive Oil
3) Preferred lettuce + Oranges + Salmon + Onions + Preferred Vinegar + Sweet Peppers/Spinach + Olive Oil

You can add and subtract whatever you prefer, but these are some tried and tested combos.

You can only go so far with Apples and Carrots. You need to expand you fruit variety, because even eating cheesecake everyday gets boring.

I'll name a couple of uncommon fruit that are delicious and healthy.

Prickly Pears and Persimmons.
I'm not as bad on the fruits, so that might be a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Second.

Personally for me, if I go more than 2-3 days without going to the gym I start to feel very lethargic and never want to go again, once you get in a routine you will start feeling amazing and will never want to stop. I recently started forcing my brother (very out of shape - never lifted a day in his life) to come with me, even bought him the membership, and he has dropped 30 lbs, gained a good amount of muscle, feels great and doesn't want to stop. Unfortunately, starting a routine is very difficult for most people.

As far as food goes, I suggest you start cooking your own food. You can make very healthy, good tasting options. Try to buy lean meats (Bison, Chicken, fish), healthier starches (brown rice, corn, sweet potatoes), etc.
I do cook my own food somewhat often but cooking healthy food is definitely out of my range of skills right now. I find myself cooking the same stuff a lot with the main things being chicken of some variety with a potato or so. Some weeks I might go 5 or 6 days eating chicken because I don't really know what to make

Quote:
I highly suggest you go to produce junction and buy a ton of fruit, then go to ShopRite and buy fat free milk, fat free yogurt (preferably Danon Lite and Fit as it is lower in sugar) and some vanilla extract. Buy a blender if you don't have one already, too. Fruit smoothies are amazingly healthy and amazing tasting, drink one a day for an easy, quick way to boost your nutrition.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pick up a blender and give it a shot.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

I can't stand salads... it's not because they are gross to me but because they just don't give me any satisfaction. Do you have a recommended way of getting "into" salads? Maybe a less healthy salad to start and then ween my way off of it? Tomatoes are a no go for me but I don't mind peppers and cucumbers so much.

Saladworks - Turkey BLT (Club whatever its called) with Balsamic vinagrette.

Enjoy the pleasure of goodness.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Down to 193, thinking going a little lower/getting some more tone.

Been doing a ton of skating lately, so I have a pretty average upper-body.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I really gotta get on a good diet. Honestly, I eat like ****.

I used to work out. Did it for a good 6 months straight, everyday, lifted weights, and ran at least 3 miles. Was in the best shape of my life, but then I got lazy again so it kinda tapered off. Definitely gonna start working out soon since I am not working until january.

But first I need a good diet. Any suggestions?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Why thank you, Sir Mush

Old
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Saladworks - Turkey BLT (Club whatever its called) with Balsamic vinagrette.

Enjoy the pleasure of goodness.
I used to do Bentley Salad but with bacon and without tomatoes. Green Goddess dressing.

Likely defeated the purpose though. Kind of makes me want one though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
sg12lw

didnt read any of this thread, but here goes anyway

i have worked with many different personal trainers (several that are currently employed by nhl clubs), and the best workout programs i have ever been on have all been without the use of weights....however most of the strength building exercises they do are hard to explain, and you need at least one other person to do them. so thats out haha

if you are trying to add pure muscle mass, then yes you need to lift weights, but if you are trying to get into good shape, than sprints are the answer imo

my "unprofessional" recommendation:

start with 100yd (or 30 sec. on bike) sprints - do 8 with 90 seconds rest in between.....when that gets easy (which will be a while lol), cut it to 60 seconds rest, then 45,30 etc... then switch either to 12 reps, or lengthen them to 150yd or 45 second reps

running really is the bet way to stay in shape, and for everyone that hates it, give it 2 honest weeks, and you will start to enjoy doing it i promise....if bad knees or whatever prevent running, than a bike is next best option

oh yeah, and stop eating like a pig

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I used to do Bentley Salad but with bacon and without tomatoes. Green Goddess dressing.

Likely defeated the purpose though. Kind of makes me want one though.
Green Goddess dressing is 50% of your daily Sat Fat/serving or something completely absurd like that. That salad seriously sounds worse than a Big Mac.

On another note, Saladworks makes a fat free balsamic that is very sweet and doesn't taste vinegary, it is all I eat there, definately suggest trying it... and leaving cheese, egg and bacon off your next salad.

Old
03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Resurrecting this with an egg question: does taking the yolk out when you cook them make them healthier to the point that you could eat them more than once a week or so?

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 03-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Resurrecting this with an egg question: does taking the yoke out when you cook them make them healthier to the point that you could eat them more than once a week or so?
Hey,

It was thought that it would be high in cholesterol, as they do range 'higher' in cholesterol they aren't bad if you don't have a history of cholesterol - I eat about 5-6 eggs daily... I usually boil them and eat 2-3 yokes - which is fine... I've had tests from Dr's. my C level is fine.

What workout plan you on right now? Anything?

I'm doing stronglifts 5x5, see how far I can go. It was weird to start using NO weight.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:23 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Just started a four-day split along with Half of GOMAD (I'm 6'2, 175 lbs., want to get up about 10-15 lbs.). Should be fun.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 07:55 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

For a guy who has never played a round of golf in his life, I am to prone to getting golfer's elbow. My left arm just got pretty close to 100% again and now my right arm is gone akimbo

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Eat the yolk! It has pretty much all the nutrients of the egg, and unless you are going to eat something like 5-6 eggs a day, then I would suggest removing the yolk for calorie reasons.

Unless you have a previous condition, and you are directed by a physician to lower you cholesterol intake from food, then you shouldn't worry.

Dietary cholesterol and Blood cholesterol are different things, you body produces roughly 85% of it on its own, so you really shouldn't worry about your dietary cholesterol unless a doctor informs you.

There is nothing wrong with cholesterol, it serves a function in the body, just like vitamins and minerals, but too much of anything is bad.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
infidelappel*

I've been trying to get back into working out since the new year started...which has less to do with it being the new year and more to do with moving into an apartment that offered me the room to work out.

After being on and off with p90x, I've decided to take up running instead, and do supplementary weight lifting where possible. I run a 1.6 mile trail for now (sometimes I'll go around it twice). I'm just doing time-based runs, trying to do better day by day. On day one, it took 20 mins...day two, 16. Today was 16'22".

A friend at work has lost almost 70 lbs since September...he is more or less the same size/body type as me and is almost under 200 lbs. I was tipping the scales at 258 when I started my latest bout of dieting/exercise (I'm 6'2"), and never would have thought it was possible for someone my size to get under 200 lbs, but now I've decided to go for it.

So far I'm down to 249. 9 down, 49 to go....

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 440
Quote:
Eat the yolk! It has pretty much all the nutrients of the egg, and unless you are going to eat something like 5-6 eggs a day, then I would suggest removing the yolk for calorie reasons.

Unless you have a previous condition, and you are directed by a physician to lower you cholesterol intake from food, then you shouldn't worry.

Dietary cholesterol and Blood cholesterol are different things, you body produces roughly 85% of it on its own, so you really shouldn't worry about your dietary cholesterol unless a doctor informs you.

There is nothing wrong with cholesterol, it serves a function in the body, just like vitamins and minerals, but too much of anything is bad.
I always thought not eating the yolk was overrated.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Hey,

It was thought that it would be high in cholesterol, as they do range 'higher' in cholesterol they aren't bad if you don't have a history of cholesterol - I eat about 5-6 eggs daily... I usually boil them and eat 2-3 yokes - which is fine... I've had tests from Dr's. my C level is fine.

What workout plan you on right now? Anything?

I'm doing stronglifts 5x5, see how far I can go. It was weird to start using NO weight.
What I'm doing now is probably pretty light compared to what a lot of you guys are doing. I'm just doing half my body, every other day. But at 5'10, 140, going regularly has shown itself as more important than a particular plan.

Quote:

I've been eating four every few days, keeping the yolk in one. My mom's side of the family has heart conditions (both grandparents), and that's the side I'm more comparable to. I simply don't want to fall subject to that "Well I thought I was being healthy, how was I supposed to know?" crowd.

This part's probably in my head, but I've felt better doing it this way too.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:12 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I always thought not eating the yolk was overrated.
It is due to a time where cholesterol and saturated fat = demons of the world, because doctors didn't completely understand their functions.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Working out is horrible, I hate it.

I also eat like total crap. Ever since I was a baby I couldn't eat green vegetables. It's embarassing but true. I'm a picky eater and I would like to eat better but I just don't know how to go about it when I literally get disgusted by the food that is best for you. I try to eat carrots and apples and stuff as often as I can but that can only go so far I'm sure.

I realize I am unhealthy and stupid but I just hate working out for the sake of working out so much that I can't do it for more than 5 minutes without deciding to spend my time doing something I actually enjoy. My diet on top of that concerns me too. I'm 23 and realize now is probably the time to start at least improving on this stuff but I really am at a loss for how to get it turned around
Yeah I know this feeling.. I've been working out since I was about 14 when I used to take the trolley to the YMCA to blow off steam at home. Didn't know wtf I was doing in the weight room but I lifted everything until some of the more experienced guys kind of took me under their wing and showed me how to lift properly and eat right.

TBH I hate it at this point in my life and it feels like a waste of time but it's something I have have to do in order to feel good about my personal appearance. I distract myself anymore when working out, I watch old hockey broadcast DVD's or standup videos but I only last about 1/2 hr-45minutes (which is all your body needs anyway).

If I were you I'd forget about "exercising" if you really despise it, you won't last and it becomes a carousel of off again on again.. Find a sport or beer league for hockey, maybe get a decent mountain bike and ride some trails.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote