HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fischler Interviews Torts Part 1

Old
08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Fischler Interviews Torts Part 1

Available on his blog here: http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...s-well-1.48186

Interesting takes on Avery, Biron, and Dubinsky.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Avery wasn't involved because Torts neutered him and kept him on a short leash. I wouldn't bet on Avery playing much this season if he isn't strong out of the gate.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

its up to the coaching staff to make this bunch of players into a competitive team.

there is some talent here, now its up to the cown to coach them.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
its up to the coaching staff to make this bunch of players into a competitive team.

there is some talent here, now its up to the cown to coach them.

LOL Is that from that killer clown movie?

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
LOL Is that from that killer clown movie?
no.

thats torts in the locker room after we gave up two late goals and lost last season.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Avery wasn't involved because Torts neutered him and kept him on a short leash. I wouldn't bet on Avery playing much this season if he isn't strong out of the gate.
Thats such BS and it's getting old. Yes in the 2009 playoffs he did put him on a leash, last season Torts told Avery to be Avery, and Torts said this the entire season. Not sure why people feel the need to try to stick up for Avery and blame Torts. Avery played like crap because of Avery, not Torts.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Schweiker17

im ready to hear about redden in the next interview

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Thats such BS and it's getting old. Yes in the 2009 playoffs he did put him on a leash, last season Torts told Avery to be Avery, and Torts said this the entire season. Not sure why people feel the need to try to stick up for Avery and blame Torts. Avery played like crap because of Avery, not Torts.
Getting tired of it myself....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Reading between the lines but the managment/coaching seems to feel the Rangers missed the playoffs due to lack of a better back up goaltender.

Its viable I suppose since the missed by a shootout on the last game of the season. Had Vally won ONE more game...

lol

08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
"Sean has to be more consistent," John insisted. "He was very inconsistent last year. If he is consistent, he will play because he can be an important part of this hockey club. But if he's not involved, he won't play."
Avery needs this.... any guy who can show up like he did vs Dallas and than disappear for 10 games at stretch has a motivation issue.

And I love Avery the Ranger. When he's ON he's GREAT fo this team

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't believe that for a minute. There's being a shell of your former self, and there's being a completely different player.

There were stretches of time when Avery didn't even play like the Avery of old. Being ineffective is one thing, but trying to take on another style of play is another. I don't know how much of it has to do with his reputation with referees and his ability to get away with the little things or how much it has to do with Tortorella and telling Avery to cut the ****.

At the very least, I think we both agree that Avery will be benched if he can't bring that intensity and grit that we know he can and if he isn't putting points up.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
it's pretty simple to me guys. Avery knows if he F's up one more time he is out of the league.........see ya..........gone.....bye bye

with that he took it easy and did'nt agitate like he can..................he will be just fine this year knowing torts wants him to unleash and fans want the same(like that dude who stalked him on twitter,haha)

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Avery was clearly targeted by the refs last year, but he played like crap, point blank.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:48 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Avery was clearly targeted by the refs last year, but he played like crap, point blank.
This is the closest to the truth. What people disagree on is the role Tortorella played in that.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Order of blame for Avery's play?

1) Torts
2) Refs
3) Avery

Old
08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The excuses for Avery are getting extremely old. The "leash" argument basically states that Avery has to resort to circus acts and clownish behavior just to be a consistently effective player. Its ********. Leash or no leash, it shouldnt stop him from playing hard consistently.

As for the 2009 playoffs? Avery's play in the last 10 minutes of game 4 was some of the stupidest **** I've ever seen, followed shortly thereafter by some of the stupidest **** I've ever seen a coach do in game 5. Torts and Avery are both sociopaths, and this wont end pretty. In my humbled opinion, this organization will be better off when they're both gone.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Order of blame for Avery's play?

1) Torts
2) Refs
3) Avery

No one is asking anyone to rank blame, but to neglect those variables when considering things would be foolish.

Old
08-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Avery was called for an absolute absurd amount of phantom penalties last year and his rep was clearly in the back of the refs' minds most nights.

Granted he doesn't exactly help his cause out with his actions, but when he can't play a physical/agitation role because of a fear of getting called for tic-tac penalties, the fact that he's not that great of a hockey player is even more apparent.

He still played like **** for the most of the year, and at the end of the day that's his fault, but really he's a 3rd/4th line winger that can play 2nd line minutes if his agitation game is allowed to exist.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The mere fact that so many posts are devoted to a third liner, proves that NYR fans think way too much of Avery. Hell, Ryan Callahan, who is one of the best third liners in the entire LEAGUE gets maybe a quarter as many mentions.

Sean has made his own bed, so to speak. Let's not act like he's a victim of racism or sexism or some sort of other major social injustice; he himself has put in place all of the hurdles that he has to jump over through his own past actions. If he can figure out how to be effective while playing within the unique scrutiny he has brought upon himself, great - he's an asset to the team. If not, well then he SHOULD sit.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The mere fact that so many posts are devoted to a third liner, proves that NYR fans think way too much of Avery. Hell, Ryan Callahan, who is one of the best third liners in the entire LEAGUE gets maybe a quarter as many mentions.

Sean has made his own bed, so to speak. Let's not act like he's a victim of racism or sexism or some sort of other major social injustice; he himself has put in place all of the hurdles that he has to jump over through his own past actions. If he can figure out how to be effective while playing within the unique scrutiny he has brought upon himself, great - he's an asset to the team. If not, well then he SHOULD sit.

Yes but, Ryan is consistently what he is. Avery, at times, has been the best player on the ice. Out of sheer will to be so.... we've all seen it with our own eyes.

He's inspiring and than frustrating. To us and perhaps himself.

I would LOVE to have "effective" Avery play every night

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The excuses for Avery are getting extremely old. The "leash" argument basically states that Avery has to resort to circus acts and clownish behavior just to be a consistently effective player. Its ********. Leash or no leash, it shouldnt stop him from playing hard consistently.
I don't agree with some of your posts but this one was spot on... I agree with the first paragraph....

Quote:

Old
08-12-2010, 01:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
No one is asking anyone to rank blame, but to neglect those variables when considering things would be foolish.
Player is to blame first and foremost... Other factors involved but too many fans don't want to point the finger at Avery for ANYTHING....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 08-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old
08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

No, see the reason there's so many posts about Avery is because he's a polarizing figure. Not because certain fans think way too much about him. I think what you meant is that people like you who resort to making up comments like that to make your opinion of the guy seem factual think way too much of themselves.

Sean's "bed" so to speak has entirely to do with off ice issues. The things he does on the ice that so many cry foul over are no worse than plenty of things other pests and agitators do. It's just that those guys aren't Sean Avery so no one makes a big deal about it.

I don't know why you're talking about racism or sexism but a player getting called for penalties entire based on the fact that officials don't like him is a bias, and it's one that shouldn't be tolerated by the NHL. Of course, since they don't like him either, they don't care.

When Ryan Callahan carries this team to the playoffs or single handedly is the best player on the ice for a handful of games then maybe you'll have an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Yes but, Ryan is consistently what he is. Avery, at times, has been the best player on the ice. Out of sheer will to be so.... we've all seen it with our own eyes.

He's inspiring and than frustrating. To us and perhaps himself.

I would LOVE to have "effective" Avery play every night

Exactly. The problem is when Avery has been at his best is far above his actual talent level.

Then when he doesn't replicate it people criticize him for being overrated.

When in actuality for the majority of his tenure here he's played above and beyond what his skill set it.

Old
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
XLJ

Most of the team last year with a couple of exceptions were inconsistent. Which is why they didn't make the playoffs. Avery played great after the benching, I think he will play like that next year.

I dont know how much more scoring Tort's can expect from Callahan. I think he will score around 20 goals like he usually does.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
xxxZENxxx

As I have previously said, the 2 guys that need to look over their backs in terms of a roster position are Avery and Christensen. This interview only supports my point. Does that mean they that either/both won't make it? No, but they are going to have to prove they belong with all the forward depth.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote